What do YOU put in your oatmeal?

Options

Replies

• Oranda
    Oranda Posts: 121
    Options
    I put in blueberries or mixed berries and a serving of source yogurt (35 cal) and change it up with the different flavors. It is really yummy.
  • melleyd
    melleyd Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, a tablespoon of SF vanilla pudding mix and a tablespoon of chocolate chips!! (But not now because I gave up chocolate for Lent). :(
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Brown sugar and some raisins
  • jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Ahh, I love the SF pudding idea.
  • shaheerahs
    shaheerahs Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Protien powder, strawberries, and a little honey. Yum! I eat that almost everyday for breakfast.
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I cook a batch and then reheat portions throughout the week. When I reheat the oatmeal in the microwave I add baby spinach, an egg, and breakfast sausage link. I mix it all up (breaking up the sausage link too) and add hot sauce and soy sauce.
    This sounds awesome... I've been hesitant to try egg + oatmeal but I really want to give it a whirl! I need direction, folks! Please?
    Okay i am not known for my cooking skills but this is what I do.

Make a batch of steel cut oats. I just follow the direx on the container. Store in fridge.

When I want breakfast I take a microwave safe bowl (not plastic) and put in a layer of baby spinach leaves. Then I plop a scoop of cooked oatmeal (1/2-3/4 cup). Then I smush down the oatmeal to make a little well for the egg. I crack the egg into the well and poke the egg to break the yolk (so it won't explode). I throw in frozen Jones natural sausage link. Sometimes I put another plate on top as a lid. Sometimes I don't. Then I cook on medium power for a few minutes. (You will probably need to experiment with cooking times & power. Beware, eggs can explode.)

Take out bowl and just mix up everything. I break up the sausage link and mush that in. I also like to add some soy sauce (or Bragg's aminos) and some hot sauce.

I don't always use the sausage link. I have used broccoli instead of spinach.

I was inspired by this: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/01/mark-bittmans-savory-oatmeal-with-scallions-and-soy-sauce-recipe.html
  • gagster
    gagster Posts: 12
    Options
    I put blueberries, flaxseed, walnuts and cinnamon. Good start to the day.
  • jolarocknrolla
    jolarocknrolla Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    1 tbsp of peanutbutter and one sliced bannana.
  • necki696
    necki696 Posts: 30
    Options
    Ground flaxseed
  • KeleRae
    KeleRae Posts: 2
    Options
    I want to know how you cook the oatmeal in the slowcooker (enough for the week)? Please let me know this would really be a lifesaver for me. THANKS!
  • Zerita1
    Zerita1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I must be really old schol I use a pat of butter, skim milk and brown sugar, works for me.
  • Talazws
    Talazws Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I add 1/4 cup of almond or soy milk, a half cup of blueberries, strawberries, or blackberries (and sometimes all three mixed together!), and then a mix of cinnamon and nutmeg. I have it almost every morning, unless I am eating Kashi cereal instead! It really fills me up and gets me through the morning, until I can have a break at work to eat a piece of fruit.
  • mara232
    mara232 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I make Tosca Reno's clean eating oatmeal and cut it into 9 squares and then Hubby and I just reheat a piece each am.

Tosca Reno Caledon (Baked) Oatmeal

2 cups old fashioned oats
    2 cups skim milk
    1/2 cup cranberries
    1/2 cup slivered almonds
    1 tsp vanilla
    4 tbsp maple syrup
    1 macintosh apple grated with skin on

reheat overn to 400F. Coat a large 3qt casserole dish with cooking spray.

Combine all in bowl.

Place mixture in casserole dish. Bake uncovered for 45 mins at 400F.

I cut mine into 9 pieces and that works out to 190 calories per slice.
  • mara232
    mara232 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I want to know how you cook the oatmeal in the slowcooker (enough for the week)? Please let me know this would really be a lifesaver for me. THANKS!

I've made this one before and it's good buy I prefer the baked oatmeal that you just reheat ever am. See above.

Eat Clean Crockpot Otameal

Ingredients

* 1/2 cup cracked wheat
    * 1 1/2 cup steel cut oats
    * 1/2 cup brown rice
    * 1/4 cup wheat germ
    * 1/4 cup Ezekial 4:9 cereal
    * 2 cups organic FF milk (i'm using skim milk or 1%)
    * 4.5 cups water
    * 1/4 cup dried cherries
    * 1/4 cup chopped dates (im not using)
    * 1/4 cup raisins
    * 1/4 cup dried blueberries
    * 1/4 cup dried cranberries
    * 1.5 tbsp vanilla
    * pinch of nutmeg
    * pinch of cinnamon
    * I'm probably going to add a little ground flaxseed and chopped walnuts (optional)

Instructions

Place all ingredients into the crockpot, stir and cook for 4-5 hours on low.

Tips & Bonus Information

Nutritional Info Calories: 264.7 Total fat: 2.7g Cholesterol: 0.1mg Sodium: 51.0mg Total carbs: 54.1g Dietary Fiber: 6.6g Protein: 10.0g I will post pictures of meal as soon as I make it :).
    Yield: 8
    Preparation Time: 10 minutes
    Cooking Time: 4 to 5 hours depending on the crockpot.
  • apricot_annie
    apricot_annie Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I pretty much just put in flaxseed but OH WOW the possibilities. I'm definitely going to try some of these ideas!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Easy! Can be much easier than the awesome recipe posted above too...

http://www.thegreenestdollar.com/2009/04/my-frugal-breakfast-crockpot-steel-cut-oats/

OR

http://ohsheglows.com/2009/12/21/crock-pot-apple-spice-steel-cut-oats/

Or just make the steelcut oats ahead of time on the stove (approx 45 mins cooking time) and store in 1/2 cup servings in the fridge. Add a little milk to re-heat in the microwave when you want to eat it, toss on your toppings of choice, and enjoy!
  • prepsikola
    prepsikola Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Natural peanut butter, honey, and vannila soy milk. Its like desert!
  • lklein
    lklein Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    If I'm keeping things simple just a teaspoon of sugar or brown sugar. Otherwise I love putting in fruit (I like fresh better but sometimes that's not possible, but frozen works too.) Blue berries, strawberry, grany smith apples are my favs. I hear some great things about peanutbutter but still haven't tried that.
  • Jennyzfit
    Jennyzfit Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I stewed some cranberries and then added to my oatmeal and added flaxmeal. Deliciousl! :)
  • SARAHWALKER25
    Options
    i USUALLY ADD 1 tbsP OF jELLY ( BLACKBERRY OR RASPBERRY)