WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH

Options

Replies

• joylaut
    joylaut Posts: 68
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your birthday wishes.. I worked only this morning so this afternoon, went on a hike - the weather was sunny and spring. Received birthday cards and phonecalls and fb posts -- it's so great to receive so much positive energy. Out to dinner and Barbie's message to Amanda was true -- from posting and being conscientious about food choices, dinner was easy. I could eyeball everything and trust my choices. Except of course for dessert! Even there, I knew it would be at least 400 calories which is why I went on a hike.:laugh:

Mary, I hope your mom continues to improve.

Amanda, you will be in my prayers. I truly believe you will do well. My MIL had valve replacement over two years ago and is doing just fine. My mom's 84yo friend also had it recently and is doing fine.

Michelle, I agree that cats can be trained to claw on a designated place. Love my doggie but I miss having a feline around.

Well, off to bed.

Joy
  • chicletgirl21
    chicletgirl21 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Maxymom:flowerforyou:

You said, " Can you find a private charitable advocate for you and your Mom? And have you had her checked for Alsheimer's yet ? If it's that, biploar meds won' t help but hurt. Another thing, if you/she have too many assets, spend them down, or move them so they fall in a different category"

What do you mean by a charitable advocate ?

I am suspecting dementia. My grandmother had alsheimers though. Either way she is being assessed by a psychologist next week. I will mention the bipolar medicine to her.

Mom does not have any assets anymore, that was taken care of a long time ago. I'm afraid what is holding her back from getting any help is that she recevies a Social Security check and her pension check and because of that they claim she makes too much money. (You have to be under $1000 to be eligible for Medi-Cal.I honestly dont know what they expect from us, All of her money is spent on food, medication, diapers, insurance payments, etc. No luxuries. Hell we can't even go to Starbucks to get her a latte like she used to.

I have decided to get the new apartment. Your advice made sense. I am going to enjoy the moment. It has perks that I can use, like the pool. I need to have something for myself too. I will cross that bridge if mom leaves. I'll deal with it.

:flowerforyou: Oh a while back someone, I apologize that I don't remember who it was, asked if I make jewelry because they liked my sign in picture. No I dont, I just like frogs and searched the internet and found this cool frog and used it. It would be a very cool pendant though.

Lyn54 :flowerforyou:
    Thank you for your kind words. I know my situation is frustrating, it has me losing my hair over it. Thanks for caring.

Chiclet
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Chiclet,

This is just an off the wall thought, but if your mom's Social Security income alone would qualify her for Medical, if the pension were subtracted, would it make more sense to have her refuse her pension so she could get the assistance that she, and YOU need? You would have to talk to someone with legal knowledge of how the California system works...which eliminates me as an information source. I still think it would be worth checking in to.

Hang in there. I am thinking of you.

We had wild weather last two days, a freak wind that caused a bunch of damage around me on Monday, and then a severe thunderstorm warning, complete with the threat of a tornado!!! What next? I am SO READY for Spring to be here. We have already had more rain in March than we normally get in the entire month of March and we are only halfway through the month.

I don't know if anyone else has been looking at all the video online showing the terrible mess in Japan. I ran across a video that shows very graphically how quickly the water came in and how fast it rose. The person taking the video was on a safe vantage point. In the space of about three minutes, what starts as a trickle turns into a relentless torrent. By the end of it, there are buildings floating by.

Here is a link to the video. It is about 6 minutes long:

http://www.longislandpress.com/2011/03/15/youtube-video-of-japan-tsunami/

I am keeping all those affected by the earthquake and tsunami in my prayers, along with those in proximity of all those failed nuclear plants.

I learned last night that the son and DIL of a friend of mine are preparing for the arrival of a Japanese woman and her 4 month old child. She was an exchange student a few years ago who stayed with them, and they have stayed in touch. I am not sure how close to the epicenter she was living, but she and the baby are coming for an indefinite stay.

Hope all is well with everyone. Amanda, I am thinking of you. I was thinking if you won't be able to access your computer for a while after you surgery, maybe you could have one of your family members send an email to one of us, who could then report to the thread. If you don't already have someone's personal email address from MFP, send me a PM and I will forward my personal email address to you.

Take care all.

Barb
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    It's a rainy day here in the Northeast. I was up in my morning weigh in. I need to get to the gym this morning and get back into my routine. It was great to travel this weekend but I get sloppy and skip the gym when my schedule changes. Hopefully the two pounds come off quickly.
    Amanda....I hope you recover quickly.
    Have a good day, everyone!
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies:

Did my 55 mins Strength training this morning and now I have to shower and get my day
    started . Off work today so I can make some soup to take to work.

My daughter (oldest 30) finally found an apartment she likes and they just have to check her
    references and I hope she gets it soon. She has been so stressed lately. She has to
    be out of the townhouse by April 1st. The landlords in TO don't advertise until about two weeks
    before the beginning of the next month. So its kind of stressful when you are working full time and
    the window of opportunity is small. Anyway, hope she gets it.

We are on vacation in two weeks and I can't wait. The weather here is finally changing and getting
    a little warmer. (Ontario, Canada) I just want to sit on the beach and read and let that sun come
    shining down and warm me up !!!
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    My mother is slowly improving. She did have another fall, because an idiotic nurse told the staff that it was okay if she got up to go to the bathroom, even though she has a dr's order not to walk. She has fallen twice since being in the hospital, and it is obviously their fault for having her get out of bed when she is not able. Anyway, luckily, her injuries are few.
    The surgeon is supposed to come today and assess whether or not she is able to have her surgery. I hope so, as it is the only hope for walking.
    I have spring break next week, and am I ever looking forward to it! I plan to go on a family campout for a long weekend. We are leaving on Friday and returning on Thursday. Here's hoping the weather is better than it was last year, when we got snowed on! The forecast is for much better than that, but the forecast looked okay last year also.
    The best part of the campground is that I get to see my grandson! He was born Dec. 29th, and I haven't seen him since January 5th, so I can't wait.
    Have a great day all!
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    I just don't have the energy to respond to everyone's posts. Everyone seems so energetic and motivated. I feel like I have molasses in my veins. Between time change and springtime allergies my get up and go has got up and went. I may have to resort to caffeine!

Today's exercise will be climbing up and down a ladder washing walls and windows and mopping in our guest room. Hubby scraped the popcorn texture off the ceiling and pulled up the carpet. So now its up to me to get it ready to paint and put down hardwood.
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    susieq sounds like you have more energy than me. I feel the same. I am eating right and not cheating at all and I have no energy. My allergies are running rampant. The days are so beautiful but deadly to my allergies. If I take zertec or allavert I feel much better but want to sleep all the time. if I dont take meds I am sneezing and feel tired still. I hope you feel better and I hope I do too. Must be something in the southern air.
    Vicki M
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    For me its the Juniper and Elm pollen. when we lived in Arkansas, it was Pine. :sick:

http://www.pollen.com/allergy-weather-forecast.asp
  • maxymom
    maxymom Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Chiclet, Charitable advocate was probably not the correct term. What I meant is an elder counselor connected with a non-profit organization, United Way or church based for two examples, that have experience guiding people through the minefield of rules and regulations. It would depend on your area. Sometimes if one can't help you, they can give you a couple of leads. Just keep trying and eventually one will work out. I volunteered for Society of St Stevens in our area, which helps people who kind of "fall through the cracks" of other programs. Sometimes you want to say, OMG how poor do you have to be? What would be helpful to you is some way to factor in your Mom's non optional expenses, like medicine and diapers. Good grief! Churches of major denominations may be able to help you. We would even put out calls for items of furniture to the congregation. Someone would always answer the call. :smile: I'm glad you took the apartment . Enjoy all the features to the max. And don't worry about what might or might not happen in the future to the detriment of enjoying today. I wish you luck.:flowerforyou:
  • vikkij12
    vikkij12 Posts: 82
    Options
    Just marking my spot
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    joy - happy birthday and many more!

Viv - one of the reasons we would have the cat declawed is because the other cats are declawed and should they get to rough-housing (even just playing), it wouldn't be fair if he had claws and the others didn't. Another reason is because Vince is very much into his music and we know that the cats do go downstairs. If the cat ever scratched on the material on the front of the speakers, the material would be rouined. I would worry that the cat might injest some of the material.

chicklet - we had a cat that came to us declawed. He was an indoor/outdoor cat (couldn't break him of this). But you should see him climb a tree, get away from an animal that's bothering him, even hold his own in a catfight. He had no problem whatsoever protecting himself. It would only be the front claws. The cats we have right now are only indoor cats. As a matter of fact, if you take one into the garage and even start to go outside, you should see them scramble to get back in the house! You are between a rock and a hard place with your mother. My father was in the same boat, so I understand where you're coming from....

Clyde found the cat tree today. He had a blast! We have a toy hanging from one of the condos, that poor toy! He played and played and played. Being a stray, he probably never had a toy. He also eats a lot, but he doesn't seem to be getting fat. In the wild, he probably had to hunt for his food.

maxy - there was this one cat at the Humane Society, my heart went out to him. When he came to the Humane Society he had a bad eye infection, they couldn't save one eye. Fortunately, he got adopted. There was another cat that was just the sweetest thing you could ever see. But the problem was that that cat didn't get along with other cats. They tried and tried to socialize that cat, but as soon as another cat even came near him, out came the claws. But if he was alone, he was the sweetest thing on the face of the earth. I understand that an elderly person who didn't want multiple cats adopted it. It would just crawl into your lap and lay there for hours at a time. I'm so glad they got adopted (the one-eyed one and the sweet one)

auntibk - all the cats we have ever had were rescues. Cocoa "followed Jessica home"...yea, right! Then we adopted Sassy, Sadie, and PJ from the SPCA (all have passed now). We got Lexi because she was SEVERLY abused, Loki came from the animal shelter, and now we have the two new ones we got from the Humane Society. Honestly, I don't think we would know how to go about getting a cat that ISN'T from a shelter.

Did an hour of spinning today (Tues). Tomorrow...yoga and then the water class. Vince then needs me to be home to help him put up some brackets in the garage so he can put the PVC pipes that we use for Halloween/Christmas decorations on them. Tomorrow night we're going to dinner at Ruby Tuesday before bowling.

Had bunco at my house today (Tues). Fortunately, it wasn't a real big crowd, but we had fun. It's nice to socialize with just a few people. I made a banana chocolate bundt cake which is really good. Actually, I made two cakes, and Vince's comment when everyone left was "sweet! I get a whole cake to myself!"

chicklet - have a wonderful time in your new place. You deserve it!

We're going to dinner tonight to Ruby Tuesday's. I've already decided that I'll have the creole catch with steamed broccoli and sauteed mushrooms. Then, we go bowling for 3 games.

A friend loaned me a book about American Mah Jongg that I want to read, so everyone have a great day/evening.

Michele
  • doobiedoo
    doobiedoo Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi to all my FP friends! After a week of not exercising (I was working at the PO most of the week, which is like several hours of exercise) it was good to get back to it this week. I ate some desserts that I wouldn't have ordinarily and they really were not that great :laugh: ! Yay!! I want to keep it that way! So glad fresh fruits and vegies are coming in soon! Have a nice evening all!!:flowerforyou:
  • marlouise
    marlouise Posts: 286
    Options
    Hello ladies,

I've been burning calories just sitting on my glutes for the most part of the day, yup, I reckon a couple of million of them. How, well I traveled to Japan, heavy damage and more threats. People are shaken from close to 500 after shocks hitting the ocean side of the island. The news said the aftershocks took up an area close to the size of southern Ontario, in Canada. That's a big area, It would be a 10-12 hour drive either way. I fear the island may become the latest Atlantis. I wonder with all the water weight on the one side, if the other side of the island raised any, at the time the wave hit the island? So many confusing reports and some blown out of perspective one really needs some good reporting to keep up to the real events. I also traveled to New Zealand, waved to Judi, she did not see me though, any way they are still cleaning up and the mess they face, it is said they may not get crews into the downtown area for a few months. The core downtown is being shut down, as I understand it.

It is been said that these events have repeated from earlier years, but no one has said that now there is more and very damaging. Unless things in the past have not been documented as well, we have more tech's now to record better. People in some areas around the world are in a bit of panic, some wild and maybe true things are being said. How is everyone here? Anyone feel panic, fear or maybe have more thought about preparing for an emergency? You gals who have these terrible tornados can relate to being prepared.

Personally I think maybe it would not be a bad thing to review some procedures. I do have kits for road and some power shortages etc., but I don't think I would last a week if something devastating as a quake or tornado happend.

Also, we gals need to be in good shape! Yes, yes, think about trying to walk over a mile of debris, and climb to safety??? Yeah there is a real need to be in good shape. I don't think I would have the strength at present to lift anyone to safety. Anyhoo, so thoughts are brewing, on things.

Okay gals enough gab from me! I'll get some supper and then an early bed, catch you all tomorrow.

Marilyn
  • maxymom
    maxymom Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Marilyn,

Yes I have been following the news for Japan very closely. My heart aches for them. :cry: You realize, don't you, that on top of everything else it is freezing there. They are homeless and wet and freezing. And the bad news just keeps on coming.I wish I could take some of them in and fix them a hot meal.

Down here on the Gulf Coast, emergency preparedness is sort of a way of life. We make sure we are prepared for hurricane season every year. We check our supplies in May, and the stay on "standby alert from June 1st till December 1st. Well, that's the official season, but we pretty well stand down on November 1st, because we've never had one in Nov. But praise God we don't have to worry about freezing. And there's a whole lot of inland to run to. And as far as I know, no chance of earthquake.
  • vickim26
    Options
    thanks susieq I have no idea what I am allergic to, just know how I react to it. did you get tested or did you just figure it out. I thought of wearing a mask but that would aggravate me. thanks for info.
    vicki m
    ps I will check out the web page you posted.
  • vickim26
    Options
    thanks susie I checked it out and it says in my area ash and oak. since we have no ash near us I guess I am allergic to the oak.. so maybe when the flowers go away I will feel better. Again thanks for the info. there is only an oak tree at every house. We have 2 ourselves. guess this is the culprit.
    vicki M
  • lyn54
    lyn54 Posts: 415
    Options
    Hi Ladies,
    I haven't posted in a day or two. I have been really busy. I also started a juice/liquid fast. If I told you this already, I apologize.:blushing:

I am exhausted.:yawn: I was up at 6 this moring to get eveything ready to start at eleven. We juiced 5 1/2 hours. We did 46 pounds of carrots, 8 pkgs of celery, 10 large red peppers, 10 romaine heads, 15 pounds of tomatos and 10 bags of Granny Smith apples. :noway: All of this was washed and soaked in food grade peroxided for an hour to remove preservative waxes and toxins. We then put it into bottles and frozen. Fresh juice will hold it's nurttritional value for 24 hours before it starts to break down.

I'll get back to you soon. :wink:
    Here is a little something to make you laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    I hope you laugh as much as I did........

Little Johnny and his chores
    Little Johnny comes down to breakfast. Since they live on a farm, his mother asks if he had done his chores.
    “Not yet,” said Little Johnny.
    His mother tells him no breakfast until he does his chores.
    Well, he’s a little upset, so he goes to feed the chickens, and he kicks a chicken. He goes to feed the cows, and he kicks a cow. He goes to feed the pigs, and he kicks a pig. He goes back in for breakfast and his mother gives him a bowl of dry cereal.
    “How come I don’t get any eggs and bacon? Why don’t I have any milk in my cereal?” he asks.
    “Well,” his mother says, “I saw you kick a chicken, so you don’t get any eggs for a week. I saw you kick the pig, so you don’t get any bacon for a week either. I saw you kick the cow so for a week you aren’t getting any milk.”
    Just then, his father comes down for breakfast and kicks the cat halfway across the kitchen.
    Little Johnny looks up at his mother with a smile, and says, “You gonna tell him or should I?” :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Have a good evening!
  • vickim26
    Options
    lynn I had heard the story before but of course I forgot the punch line so read it again and laughed again. how long will you do the fast for and you just drink this and nothing else. also how much a day. just curious. good luck with it.
    vicki M
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,949 Member
    Options
    smiley-bounce016.gif

Lynn, I looked at your food diary and saw all your juices and almond milk........you said that you did most of the juicing yourself :bigsmile: :bigsmile: wow :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: your diary says that you had 15 glasses of water:bigsmile: :bigsmile: was that water in addition to all that juice or did you count the juice as part of your water total ??????