Starvation Mode is Real, and ugly

Options

Replies

• Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Well, Russell-- the Starbucks drink I have is only 20 calories-- black espresso and hot water, with one flavor shot-- no harm, no foul there. But, I'm always pumped when I make wise choices and use the ol' self-control.

I know I have to pump up the exercise this week. Life and chaos have trampled me past couple weeks, and I've only gotten a couple days in each week. Need to bump it up-- I know I've said it before, but it is soooo hard to be motivated to exercise when it hasn't changed in a positive way my appearance.

I mean, yeah, we're doing it for health-- blah, blah, blah-- but there isn't a soul in this place that is doing it simply for the health benefits. We all like to look good, and it's part of what motivates us. So, that's been an uphill battle.

If I can figure out the hashimoto's and water issues with some proper meds, then that will help, to boot-- until then, exercise to me lately is truly like taking cod liver oil-- I'm holding my nose and taking it because I know it's good for me. Blech.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Russell,

I REALLY like the spike day idea!!! :love:

and Marla, I just KNOW that you are going to come out of all of this stronger! (and thin!):flowerforyou:

Donna
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Russell,

I REALLY like the spike day idea!!! :love:

and Marla, I just KNOW that you are going to come out of all of this stronger! (and thin!):flowerforyou:

Donna

She definitely will! She persistent, patient, and has the knowledge to get through it. IMO,being in starvation mode is the worst thing that can happen when we diet. You eat very little, you workout hard, and you don't lose anything. It's like being slapped in face by Mike Tyson.
    I compare it to the cartoons with the rabbit on a treadmill being bated by a carrot on a fishing pole. Most of us, including myself quit at that point.
    Marla isn't
  • Marla64
    Options
    Thanks, so much for the vote of confidence-- means a lot.

Russell-- have you had a client like me, where the weight begins to pile back on?
  • vraesgame
    vraesgame Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story.
  • gharley
    gharley Posts: 12
    Options
    Thank you for sharing and I am worried about myself going into starvation mode. It has been two weeks, and I am barely eating 1000 calories and that is because I have become afraid to eat. I just hope I learned soon before I end up in the same situation. I wish you the best!

Ginny
  • kdouglas11
    kdouglas11 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    no offense...but i'd seek more opinions from different doctors... that excuse doesn't sit well with me.

Sorry
  • DeeDeeLHF
    Options
    no offense...but i'd seek more opinions from different doctors... that excuse doesn't sit well with me.

Sorry

Kdouglas11...I am not sure I understand what you mean by "excuse", can you explain? What would you suggest Marla do ?

D
  • Marla64
    Options
    I've already been to five doctors-- they're not interested in helping me. They check the routine blood crud-- if they don't see something "standard" they blow it off as perimenopausal-- doctors suck.

They found Hashimoto's, threw me on medicine for it and I could hear the implied, "NEXT" as they showed me the door for their next patient. Anything they looked for was at my insistence. Check for this. Great. Now check for that. Good. Now check for the other.

Personally I think there are more kidney issues-- but since the "blood results show fine kidney function," that's all they care about.

Again-- doctors suck.
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing and I am worried about myself going into starvation mode. It has been two weeks, and I am barely eating 1000 calories and that is because I have become afraid to eat. I just hope I learned soon before I end up in the same situation. I wish you the best!

Ginny

I just checked out your profile & you have a good amount of weight to lose, but PLEASE don't be afraid to eat! Your body still needs fuel! Good luck to you!
  • 3babybeans
    Options

Sorry

Kdouglas11...I am not sure I understand what you mean by "excuse", can you explain? What would you suggest Marla do ?

D

None of that made sense. No offense to Marla? The "excuse" that Marla is making or the dianosis her doctors are making?
  • Marla64
    Options
    Cue the cricket noises....guess she's not coming back to explain.....whatever.

So I had my 'spike day,' and I swear-- never in my life have I felt like yesterday. What's happening to me?? Truly, it was difficult for me to eat when I wasn't hungry-- I ended the day roughly 2500--

I haven't been exercising past couple weeks for this and that chaotic, life-consuming, nutty reason or another-- other family priorities are needing me-- so with no exercise, my caloric needs would be around 1950 or so, so I'm still at a surplus.

actually, starting today I'm bumping down to 1970 daily-- need to see if I can start to lose again. I'm growing impatient. I know I have water issues, and have medicine on the way to help. and I know I have metabolic issues. I've learned I won't gain on 2300 daily. So, maybe I can lose on 1970-- with any luck, some kid issues and health issues with hubs and others will ease up and my exercise will be a priority again.

however, I'm not hating taking some time off of exercise. Hard killing yourself and seeing no results because of the water covering everything.
  • suz3777
    suz3777 Posts: 2
    Options
    wow!!
    I have been there it is an awful place to be. I did the whole starvation thing and it backfired on me as well. I was told so many times what would happen and I thought never I was so diligent on keeping count of everything that went in my mouth. I eneded up with a terrible eating disorder, I can not live that way again it was toture punishing myself for being human and I saw what I put my kids through. I think if we all except ourselves for just being us it will all work out. But funny I know that is way easier said then done. I wish you the beat of luck I know how you feel
    Suzanne
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Marla -

Way to go girl! I'm so sorry you have to go through this. If anyone can get their metabolism straightened out, you can. You rock. What a long journey - you are such an inspiration though. Standing up for yourself and not letting the medical system write you off. I'm proud of you and hope you find what will work for your body! (((hugs)))
  • Marla64
    Options
    Marla -

Way to go girl! I'm so sorry you have to go through this. If anyone can get their metabolism straightened out, you can. You rock. What a long journey - you are such an inspiration though. Standing up for yourself and not letting the medical system write you off. I'm proud of you and hope you find what will work for your body! (((hugs)))

Hey-- haven't seen you in sooooo long-- thanks so much for the vote of confidence--

I'll figure this out, one way or another-- thanks so much for the support.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    Options
    Marla, Hope your weekend is less stressful! My kids also drive me nuts but I say that with all the love a mother can possibly have! We have had our best year yet with homeschooling but I think it is partly because I have pulled way back on outside service and because I am now only homeschooling my two girls!

My goal today is to laugh! I thought I would share that! :laugh: j

BTW...babybeans, I think I did misinterpret what the person wrote...the way I was reading it sounded kind of negative towards Marla but I see she must have meant it as a negative towards the MD's.

D
  • 3babybeans
    Options
    Marla, Hope your weekend is less stressful! My kids also drive me nuts but I say that with all the love a mother can possibly have! We have had our best year yet with homeschooling but I think it is partly because I have pulled way back on outside service and because I am now only homeschooling my two girls!

My goal today is to laugh! I thought I would share that! :laugh: j

BTW...babybeans, I think I did misinterpret what the person wrote...the way I was reading it sounded kind of negative towards Marla but I see she must have meant it as a negative towards the MD's.

D

No no no! I wasqustioning that person as well. I hope you didn't think I was questioning YOU! And I'm not sure what they meant b/c the way they worded it, it could have gone either way. :ohwell: Whatever! I don't think we'll be getting a further explanation! Whatevs.
  • 3babybeans
    Options
    wow!!
    I have been there it is an awful place to be. I did the whole starvation thing and it backfired on me as well. I was told so many times what would happen and I thought never I was so diligent on keeping count of everything that went in my mouth. I eneded up with a terrible eating disorder, I can not live that way again it was toture punishing myself for being human and I saw what I put my kids through. I think if we all except ourselves for just being us it will all work out. But funny I know that is way easier said then done. I wish you the beat of luck I know how you feel
    Suzanne

I hope you have success here! It's amazing the abuse we put our bodies through. *hugs*

Marla - See! Sharing your story is helping lots of people. You rock, woman! Here's to a happy weekend!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry I didn't read ALL of the posts in the past 10 pages...but I did read the very first post and wanted to comment on it.

I KNOW EXACTLY HOW YOU FEEL.

I get frustrated as hell at people who whine about starvation mode being a myth. I was there as well.

My profile picture? That was me back in 2008 when I weighed 125 pounds. As you can see from my ticker, that's my current goal weight now because I want to get back to that picture size.

When I was losing all the weight in 2007 (started at 191) I was eating between 1000-1300 calories per day and doing P90X Doubles Plan changing the extra Cardio X's to something more strenuous like Turbo Jam. Yeah, I got down to 125, but I was so effin' hungry all the time and I couldn't gain muscle for nothing. I was a beanpole that wanted to eat.

So I was advised by my doctor, nutritionist, and personal trainer that if I wanted to do that much exercise that I should be eating a minimum of 1800 calories per day. So, I did just that and within, no lie, 2 months I was up from 125 to 155 pounds. That was the middle of 2008. Throughout 2009 and 2010, I adjusted calories, played with carb and fat levels, messed with protein levels, changed up my workouts, did EVERYTHING I WAS TOLD by experts with MD's and PhD's but lost *maybe* 5 pounds total at a time and then gained it back, lost it again, gained it back...all by eating clean, healthy foods and working out???

Yeah, my doctor also told me that I was in starvation mode, and yeah, I was having issues gaining muscle strength because my body had catabolized the muscles after beating it to death with hours of cardio and averaging 1200 calories a day.

Now in 2011, I am *finally* at a point where I believe my metabolism has been restored. I eat around 1575 calories a day and I am finally steadily loosing. It is a slow process, but it is a process that is moving forward.

I am currently at 138 pounds, and I am able to wear some of the clothes that I was able to back in 2008. I plan to get back into all of them by the end of the year, only I am doing it in a healthy way making sure to NEVER cut myself short on calories.

People really do have a wrong view of what starvation mode really is. It does NOT happen overnight, over the course of a week or 2, or so on. I ate very little and exercised all the time like this from July 2007 to March 2008. I lost weight the whole time until BAM in March 2008 the weight loss halted, ceased, and completely desisted. And then the hunger pains attacked like an army everyday, all day. And then the weight started to come back on by changing nothing about my food or exercise routines. It takes a long time for starvation mode to truly set in...but once it does, OMG it is soooo hard to get out of because your metabolism is crashed. You can gain weight, for sure, but losing? Ha! Not without starving even worse than before. So when I started to eat more, I got big again. And by "eating more" I mean, what normal people eat to lose or maintain daily. I was gaining weight like crazy doing what other people did to lose or maintain. It took lots of time and lots of hard work and effort...meaning, playing around with nutrition numbers, studying nutrition until I learned it like a second language, and actually exercising LESS...to get my metabolism revved again. And now that it's "normal" again" I am eating the same healthy food as before, only in the correct proportions, and I am weight training and doing cardio...and losing weight slowly and restoring all over health to my body.

Starvation mode truly does exist...and I hope all the naysayers would read your thread and understand. It isn't the same as what people think (they think if they eat low cals for 2 days, that uh-oh, they won't lose any more weight). But it truly is a real phenomenon.

And Marla, take heart! Your metabolism isn't dead. It took nearly 3 years, but I got mine back. I'm sure you will too. :flowerforyou:
  • nsueflorence
    nsueflorence Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!
    I am going to go into maintenance from now through the end of April.