Starvation Mode is Real, and ugly

Options

Replies

• canroadrunner
    canroadrunner Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Marla, I'm sorry I didn't read all 10 pages so you might have answered this. Were you doing 1400 calories and then doing all the exercise or were you at 1400 calories net (eating your exercise calories back)? I want to be sure I understand the scenario so I can avoid it.
    Thank you.
  • amarie35
    amarie35 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    WOW! I had no idea the STARVATION MODE was that serious & bad for you. I've been eating around 1300 -1400 a day (depending on my exercise) for the last 2 months. I think I will change it up every other week or so. I am almost at my goal weight anyway so I really need to eat to maintain. I'd hate to go through what you have been through. Thanks so much for the advice.

GREAT post! AGAIN, thanks for sharing. I wish you the best of luck! :)
  • ej_xo
    ej_xo Posts: 75
    Options
    Bump!

This is going to be a huge stepping-stone reminder for my recovery.
    There's all the proof I need. Starvation is NOT the answer.
    You are remarkable! Good luck and BEST WISHES!

xo Erica
  • sarahbelle87
    sarahbelle87 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this. I had an eating disorder for about a year and a half and dramatically dropped my calorie intake. I'd be lucky to be eating 500 calories a day. I was always a thin person even before I got sick and could always eat what I wanted without putting on weight, but I still thought I was fat. Anyway, after going on medication for anxiety I recovered from Anorexia and started eating normally like I did before it all. And then the weight piled on, and on, and on. Now I am bigger than I ever thought I would be, and I'm almost certain it's because my body went into starvation mode when I was sick. If I had never let my body get to that point, I would probably still be my naturally thin self today. Knowing that my high weight now could have been prevented really gets me depressed. :(
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Marla, I've been reading your progress all along on here and I absolutely applaud you not only for having the courage to post this, but also for the courage to keep going and working on turning this around. I think a lot of people might have fallen into the trap of despair and depression, but you are showing remarkable resilience and determination. I have no doubt what so ever that you will conquer this!

I do have a question for both you and Lyadeia - how did you arrive at that magic calorie number that got you into starvation in the first place and why did you stay with the same calorie goal as your weight and exercise levels changed? Did you both arrive at that number based on what MFP told you or did you use another source? Did you ever adjust it as your weight and activities changed?
  • Bethany1202
    Options
    I had no idea about this! Thanks for sharing your story. Best wishes.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I do have a question for both you and Lyadeia - how did you arrive at that magic calorie number that got you into starvation in the first place and why did you stay with the same calorie goal as your weight and exercise levels changed? Did you both arrive at that number based on what MFP told you or did you use another source? Did you ever adjust it as your weight and activities changed?

For me, most exercise programs or internet sites simply told me that according to my height/weight/etc. I was supposed to eat X amount of calories...I read it, I believed it, and I did it. Even when I was 191 all the way down to 125, the little booklets that come with workout programs or the different internet sites didn't put me into different categories based on activity level.

That's why it scares me that so many people on THIS site are told to eat 1200 which is under most people's BMR to begin with, and then they have long debates about whether or not eat their exercise calories. It's the same thing. This website allows you to choose your own levels of activity and how fast you want to lose weight, but you don't even read about the important info like the dangers of starvation mode unless you go to the boards. I guarantee there are hundreds of people who use this site for the calculators and tracking and NOT the message boards. Three of my friends do that now. So unless me, or someone else, tells them what they need to know, they could be undereating too and not knowing it. I mean, I have my goal set at half a pound per week, and because I am light right now and sedentary not counting workouts, I am still calculated at 1200 cals for MFP. I eat at least 1450 on days that I don't even exercise now because that's about 100 above my BMR. If I was one of the dieters that didn't exercise, and I followed what MFP recommended for me, I would be starving again eating less than BMR daily.

People are just told repeatedly that to lose weight you have to cut calories. I wish it was just that simple. I mean, if it was, wouldn't we all be thin without having to worry about medical issues?

We need to educate ourselves and listen to our bodies to find out what's going to work and what's not going to work. My new trainer told me to "eat as much as you can everyday that still allows you to lose weight." And it makes so much sense. Dieters need to be told to eat and eat sensibly, not to stop eating so much, cause it can really be damaging. Just look around at the boards at all of the people saying they can't eat all 1200 calories each day. I just shake my head and hope that something changes for them so they don't crash their bodies like I did.
  • blackdragonclare
    Options

For me, most exercise programs or internet sites simply told me that according to my height/weight/etc. I was supposed to eat X amount of calories...I read it, I believed it, and I did it. Even when I was 191 all the way down to 125, the little booklets that come with workout programs or the different internet sites didn't put me into different categories based on activity level.

That's why it scares me that so many people on THIS site are told to eat 1200 which is under most people's BMR to begin with, and then they have long debates about whether or not eat their exercise calories. It's the same thing. This website allows you to choose your own levels of activity and how fast you want to lose weight, but you don't even read about the important info like the dangers of starvation mode unless you go to the boards. I guarantee there are hundreds of people who use this site for the calculators and tracking and NOT the message boards. Three of my friends do that now. So unless me, or someone else, tells them what they need to know, they could be undereating too and not knowing it. I mean, I have my goal set at half a pound per week, and because I am light right now and sedentary not counting workouts, I am still calculated at 1200 cals for MFP. I eat at least 1450 on days that I don't even exercise now because that's about 100 above my BMR. If I was one of the dieters that didn't exercise, and I followed what MFP recommended for me, I would be starving again eating less than BMR daily.

People are just told repeatedly that to lose weight you have to cut calories. I wish it was just that simple. I mean, if it was, wouldn't we all be thin without having to worry about medical issues?

We need to educate ourselves and listen to our bodies to find out what's going to work and what's not going to work. My new trainer told me to "eat as much as you can everyday that still allows you to lose weight." And it makes so much sense. Dieters need to be told to eat and eat sensibly, not to stop eating so much, cause it can really be damaging. Just look around at the boards at all of the people saying they can't eat all 1200 calories each day. I just shake my head and hope that something changes for them so they don't crash their bodies like I did.
    I am one of those people who is scared to eat more than 1200kcal a day! my whole life I have been told by every dr that I eat to much and whenI lsay I don't they make me feel like I'm lying and that I must bw stuffing myself with cake ect to be this way. they have even put me on orlistat/xenical which had no effect so they told me again I eat to much.

reading this I have realised that maby all the starving myself through school has done damage to me. the school nurse told me to eat less and so I just didn't eat and was still over weight. I have to saythat this is the first time in my life I have lost weight so mabyeating what the hell Iwanted while being pregnantwith my three children has put me back on track. good luck with your struggles everyone and thank-you for this eye opening post. from now on I will try not to starve myself
  • Mairgheal
    Mairgheal Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Okay, based on this thread I've just changed my target settings from losing 1 lb a week to losing 1/2 lb a week - giving me 1480 cals a day (rather than the 1230 I had lately which really was very measly especially when I had no exercise on the day).

Hope I'm doing the right thing, but it does make sense, my BMR is 1440 (according to online calculators).
    I'll give this a go for a few weeks anyway.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Ok...If anyone can answer this I would be so happy.

My BMR is less than 1200 to begin with. So, what would my maintenance calories be not including exercise?

I increased my calories to 1400 and have been eating most of my exercise calories and for the first two weeks saw only a slight increase in my weight, but now after 3 weeks I am up by 2 pounds.

Lyadeia and Marla, your stories scare the poop out of me as I know I really do not eat a lot. But...I also do not exercise in an over the top way either. I normally average about 5 times per week, doing a 30-60 minute moderate cardio and 2-3 times per week doing 30 minutes of weight machines.

I would say for the 2+ years on MFP I my NET calories average about 1100-1200.

D
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Dee Dee,
    MFP shows your maintenance calories. Go to My Home>>Goals. Look at "Your Diet Profile." "Calories burned from normal daily activity" is your maintenance level.

Make sure your activity (lifestyle) level is correct in your settings (sedentary, light active, active, etc.)
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Marla, I've been reading your progress all along on here and I absolutely applaud you not only for having the courage to post this, but also for the courage to keep going and working on turning this around. I think a lot of people might have fallen into the trap of despair and depression, but you are showing remarkable resilience and determination. I have no doubt what so ever that you will conquer this!

Hi -- personally, I was driven to achieve goal weight, come hell or high water. I kept it at 1200-1400 calories, no matter what, and also had myself set at "sedentary" which was silly with 7 kids at home, et cetera.

A goal of losing 2 pounds per week gave me 1200 calories, no matter which formula I tried. I truly thought less was more.
  • Marla64
    Options

Bravo-- good answer.

We're living proof. My body is such a mess right now, I could scream. I am seriously holding water, and am up to 208.5 this morning from 199 Monday. Check out the eyes--

eyes-2.jpg

I used to be on 25mg of hydrochlorothiazide with my old doctor. My new doctor only prescribed me 12.5. She doesn't think I have a water problem. Uh, hello? I only GOT to 199 last week after seriously increasing my dosage to get some water out, and was able to get from 203 to 199 in a couple days. Unfortunately, I've run out and she won't prescribe more until she sees me tomorrow--

I'd decreased my calories to 1970. So I'm not overeating. I've had lots of kid issues to deal with past couple weeks, so exercise time has fallen behind. But, I'm still not eating more than my set calories to lose 1/2 lb per week.

One of these ahole doctors needs to find out why my body won't get rid of water. None of them cares to look outside the box.

They suck.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,750 Member
    Options
    My new trainer told me to "eat as much as you can everyday that still allows you to lose weight." And it makes so much sense.
    It does! It does! :drinker:
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Lyadeia - I am absolutely with you in being concerned with the folks who seem to take the numbers given by MFP as gospel. I'm also still hearing people echoing the bogus claim that went around when I was in college - to eat less than 1000 calories per day if you want to lose weight. You simply can't take everything that you hear at face value!!

The calorie estimates are just a guideline and nothing more. You still have to listen to your own body. If you are truly hungry, for heaven's sake - eat! Don't eat until you are stuffed - eat until you are no longer hungry - big difference.

Don't obsess about numbers - calories or the scale. Neither are a complete picture of your health.

If you are wondering about how MFP comes up with the numbers, there is a site that gives a pretty good explanation of the calculations and has a calculator (be sure to read the entire article on BOTH pages) - and remember, these are just estimates (the site also reiterates this - they are just estimates! You must listen to your body!)

Explanation - how these are calculated: http://www.caloriesperhour.com/tutorial_BMR.php

BMR and RMR calculator: http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php
  • Marla64
    Options
    Hey-- thanks for telling me-- I'll check 'em out.

This weekend, I just increased my dosage to what I saw online would be the dose given to people with edema-- which, believe it or not, is 87.5 mg MORE than what the nincompoop doctor gave me.

She KNOWS the kidney history. KNOWS my history of bloating. BUT because my blood test shows "fine" kidney function, she is bound by insurance companies and protocol, blah, blah, blah--

Folks, we're on our own.

Progress report-- after week...what? Five of this? I think so-- I started this new journey on Valentine's Day, I believe-- the weight is unchanged. I'm actually 198 this morning, which would be 1/2 pound lower than when I began.

I had several days last week boo-hooing about it again. But, I'll get through this. I was thinking of Russell a bit earlier. I just got home from taking my son to work, and I was starving. hadn't had breakfast yet. And I really wanted to stop and get my Starbucks Americano, and considered getting a doughnut with it--

But, I thought, nope, wait til Wednesday-- that's my "spike" day. We'll see how this goes, Russell--

Eye sacs continue to get better-- I'll post a picture later. And another interesting development-- my arthritis is MUCH better. I'd love anyone's thoughts on that? Proper nutrition and arthritis pain? Go figure--

need to scoot-- ciao!

Well, I'm off to the doctor this morning-- quoted above is my post of last Monday morning. I have been battling terrible edema, and blew through my medication. Once it ran out, the body began expanding like a water balloon.

I am 206 this morning-- up 8 pounds in 7 days. Doctor won't prescribe anything until she sees me, so off I go today to the doctor for another maddening visit.

Just a glimpse of my eye puffiness-- eyes-2.jpg

Sadly, this type of bloating is everywhere-- painfully so. I am the proverbial 10 pounds of flour in a 5 lb sack right now-- it hurts to bloat this much through my abdomen--

Glad there's nothing "really wrong" with me-- :noway:

did I mention doctors suck?
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    How'd it go, Marla?!
  • Marla64
    Options
    How'd it go, Marla?!

Well, curiously-- this doctor has been the only one to take me seriously. She is hamstrung by protocol, but she hasn't blown me off. She's been the only one to look for everything I've asked her to look for, until we got some answers-- hypothyroid, Hashimoto's, et cetera.

She's very hesitant-- well, hell, hesitant? Flat out refused to give me the diuretic I requested in the dose I requested because of the fear of kidney damage. That being on HCTZ in high doses for extended periods causes kidney trouble.

Hmmmmm-- and I gorged myself on it last week to get some water out, ran out and was left without for a week, and the bloating from hell began.

Sooo-- she did give me 25mg, up from 12.5, but advised me to be very cautious and wise about how taking it, and not to overmedicate. She was obviously very concerned that I'd gained 9 pounds in a week-- so agreed to give me something, but refused to give me more.

It was sobering-- I took it all under advisement. Could I have screwed up my kidneys, again, in my push to get to goal-- in addition to eating too few calories, and exercising like a freak, as the weight began to puff up, I was popping these diuretics like candy to get the water out.

Wow-- could I be stupider??

So, I'm going to sit tight and see if my body can regulate itself. I'm better today than yesterday, so I'll stay away from the sodium, increase the water and see what happens.

Vanity-- stupid, stupid vanity.
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    How'd it go, Marla?!

Well, curiously-- this doctor has been the only one to take me seriously. She is hamstrung by protocol, but she hasn't blown me off. She's been the only one to look for everything I've asked her to look for, until we got some answers-- hypothyroid, Hashimoto's, et cetera.

She's very hesitant-- well, hell, hesitant? Flat out refused to give me the diuretic I requested in the dose I requested because of the fear of kidney damage. That being on HCTZ in high doses for extended periods causes kidney trouble.

Hmmmmm-- and I gorged myself on it last week to get some water out, ran out and was left without for a week, and the bloating from hell began.

Sooo-- she did give me 25mg, up from 12.5, but advised me to be very cautious and wise about how taking it, and not to overmedicate. She was obviously very concerned that I'd gained 9 pounds in a week-- so agreed to give me something, but refused to give me more.

It was sobering-- I took it all under advisement. Could I have screwed up my kidneys, again, in my push to get to goal-- in addition to eating too few calories, and exercising like a freak, as the weight began to puff up, I was popping these diuretics like candy to get the water out.

Wow-- could I be stupider??

So, I'm going to sit tight and see if my body can regulate itself. I'm better today than yesterday, so I'll stay away from the sodium, increase the water and see what happens.

Vanity-- stupid, stupid vanity.

This breaks my heart Marla.

You are very intelligent and resilient, and I really hope that you get your body back on track so you can reach your goals. I'm so sorry you are going through all of this. It's hard to be patient and we all want our transformations to happen over night. You are not alone in that desperation, and you are being too hard on yourself. I think many of us would have done the same thing in your shoes.
    I'm praying for you.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,750 Member
    Options
    My heart goes out to you, Marla. Vanity sure is stupid, but we all fall victim to it to one degree or another. I wish nothing but health and happiness for you. I believe you'll get there. :heart: