New Round of P90X starts Feb 28th! Join me! Cont'd....

Options

Replies

• kimmi12
    kimmi12 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have to say I'm starting to feel a bit discouraged. I finished day three of week six, but stepping on the scale this morning...plunged me into a nice deep, foul mood for the rest of the day. I am back up a pound. I haven't lost weight at all since starting P90X and it's been six weeks now. I seem to drop one, gain one, drop one, gain one. I am definitely feeling a difference it the workouts (more reps, higher weights), but this lack of weight loss is so frustrating. My husband says he is going to throw away the scale...it made me that grouchy!
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    So glad to work out tonight and have a little more time for myself! Thanks for the support and reminders that perfection is not the goal. I'm up to Week 7 Day 1, which is chest, shoulders & triceps. I must admit that some of those push-ups are not my favorites (plange, two speed twitch, etc.). I'm looking forward to having a recovery week and good ole' chest & back before I come back to some of those puppies. Not to mention that I'm curious if I still fall on my face doing divebombers. ;0) That said, I totally killed the floor flies with my little cardboard box. Also, this is the start of my third week doing all of Ab Ripper X. I must agree with Tony... Love Hate.

When I did my first recovery week, I didn't notice anything until I started up again on Week 5. I had so much extra energy! It even motivated me to do all of Ab Ripper X for the first time. It may seem like a waste of time, but it really does let your body get stronger and ready to push even more. I'm looking forward to another week of recovery next week, even if core synergistics isn't my favorite.

Bring it, everyone!

Yeah, I was amazed at the leap in my ability to do Ab Ripper-X and Core Synergistics after my recovery week...the other workouts it was hard to tell because I have had a rough week traveling and working, so I have been a little run down by the time I have worked out and Chest, Shoulders, and Triceps this week was my first time doing the workout, so I was in "idiot mode".

You are doing great!!
  • reepobob
    Options
    I am feeling the most sore since starting the program 3 wks ago! I truly feel it everywhere! :ohwell: So glad tomorrow is stretching!

Have a great night everyone!

They should rename X-Stretch and call it "P90X Therapy"...Love X-Stretch after a tough 6 day stretch (no pun intended). I will definitely need it this Sunday (my rest/stretch day)
  • reepobob
    Options
    I have to say this recovery week business is making me go backwards. I should have taken pictures on Sunday. I'm eating too much, not exercising much (wrist doesn't help I guess). I've gained about a pound. Argh! I need the hardcore workouts everyday to keep me motivated apparently. Can't wait for Phase 2 to start. I may start a few days early... this is killing me. I miss my P90X!:sad: Fingers crossed that my wrist (which gets better everyday, but not enough to be lifting weights) is ok by Sat.

You would have had to eat a LOT of extra food to actually gain a pound. I'd bet anything it's water retention from the 'naughty food'. Remember your body NEEDS this rest week, you've been pushing it really hard and you will feel stronger and better when you start week 5! <3

You are right. I haven't been so good about water this week. And when I woke up last night with "cramps" it all made sense.
    I think I'm going to do Plyo and ARX today for giggles. I'm getting tired of my treadmill and elliptical. And I can't do Yoga with my bad wrist. Giving it until Monday to lift.
    Curiosity won out yesterday and I took a few basic measurements. Was pleasantly surprised. Will do the official ones next Tues(?) for Day 30 and report back!
    Have a great weekend everyone!

Do you skip to the end of the book to see the ending before you finish as well?....LOL
  • reepobob
    Options
    Howdy all!

I am glad I used my last once of discipline and pushed play tonight. It was a long day of work and travel and I wasn't motivated at all to do Legs and Back and ARX. I have to set up all of my stuff in my basement to do this workout as it is the only area of the house where I can do pullups. I am in the tail end of my 5th week and this is the first time I truly felt unmotivated to workout. When I am done, I feel more proud of myself that I did P90X when I really didn't want to. With all of the traveling I have done, I have yet to miss a day and I am trying like hell to keep that string intact.

I have a question about calorie burns (tring to justify what I am logging). I wear my HRM for all workouts except for X-Stretch and I log 100% of the burn on Cardio-X and Kenpo-X as they are pure cardio workouts. I discount my burns on Core Syn, ARX, Legs and Back, Arms and Shoulders, Yoga-X, and Chest, Shoulders, and Triceps by 35% (multiply my burn by .65) as I have read that anareobic workouts do not register a true burn on an HRM and they should be discounted. My discounted burns are still pretty high (tonight's Legs and Back and ARX burned 898 calories with the discount). I guess what I want to know is if you consider those types of burns on resistance workouts to be plausible as I have seen much lower burns posted by others that are doing the same workouts. I don't want to overeat my calories.

Thanks guys...looking forward to killing Kenpo-X and enjoying my rest day...it's been rough.
  • Insomniak2
    Options
    I am new to MFP but I am super excited to find so many other X'ers who BRING IT :) Add me if you'd like, I personally bought p90x shortly after it came out over 1.5 years ago and have been in love ever since.

I would call myself a veteran, but in all this time I never got a chance to finish a full 90 days :( I know a shame right? I am very active (rock climbing, kayaking, flag football, etc etc) and every time I get close to finishing my 90 days I get hurt and have to stay off my feet for a few weeks, the latest, was in August last year, I pulled my hamstring during a flag football game so bad that I had to have surgery to re-attach. Here I am 6 months later, and I just did week 1, day 2 Plyo and feel great about it.

I started tracking my other fitness goals and calorie intake with MFP recently and I really like it, however, it doesn't give you an option to build muscle. I don't like how all the "setup" is how much you want to lose, I don't want to lose weight, I just need to burn my fat off that I have accumulated over the last 6 months. :) Unless I am overseeing something?

I am 5'7 185 lbs, with a flabby mid section, and a muscular chest that has lost a lot of its "Umph" due to lack of training.

Let's BRING IT :) Hoping to make it past day 76 this time around injury free. So I can get ready for p90x Squared. :)

Check out my blog here, it has a more thorough description of my goals http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Insomniak2

Thanks! Add me if you want :)
  • blueviolet20
    blueviolet20 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Yay! Did Core Synegistics today, and it was awesome! So glad to be doing P90X again! I had missed it...didn't get much homework done today, but hopefully tomorrow will be different.
  • erniemj
    erniemj Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Howdy all!

I am glad I used my last once of discipline and pushed play tonight. It was a long day of work and travel and I wasn't motivated at all to do Legs and Back and ARX. I have to set up all of my stuff in my basement to do this workout as it is the only area of the house where I can do pullups. I am in the tail end of my 5th week and this is the first time I truly felt unmotivated to workout. When I am done, I feel more proud of myself that I did P90X when I really didn't want to. With all of the traveling I have done, I have yet to miss a day and I am trying like hell to keep that string intact.

I have a question about calorie burns (tring to justify what I am logging). I wear my HRM for all workouts except for X-Stretch and I log 100% of the burn on Cardio-X and Kenpo-X as they are pure cardio workouts. I discount my burns on Core Syn, ARX, Legs and Back, Arms and Shoulders, Yoga-X, and Chest, Shoulders, and Triceps by 35% (multiply my burn by .65) as I have read that anareobic workouts do not register a true burn on an HRM and they should be discounted. My discounted burns are still pretty high (tonight's Legs and Back and ARX burned 898 calories with the discount). I guess what I want to know is if you consider those types of burns on resistance workouts to be plausible as I have seen much lower burns posted by others that are doing the same workouts. I don't want to overeat my calories.

Thanks guys...looking forward to killing Kenpo-X and enjoying my rest day...it's been rough.

I don't have an answer - but I am hoping someone else does!! Anyone?
  • ddavies919
    ddavies919 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! Sorry I didn’t get back on last night. My fiancé decided he wanted to take me out for dinner. Now, yesterday was a busy day, I was off of my normal eating schedule due to meeting a friend, etc so I had my Shakeology for breakfast and some raw almonds and that was it, until dinner! We tried this locally owned Mexican restaurant and I admit, I probably didn’t have anything too healthy, although I’m sure I hit my calorie intake for the day! Lol But, today is a new day and I plan on doing something intense to work it off! I will definitely be doing my new Insanity Fast & Furious for sure!

Fran: Sorry to hear about your knees, have you tried to modify plyo as best as you can? I have a bad right knee, I had surgery on it a long time ago and it bothers me sometimes but mostly all the jumping in plyo and even when I did Insanity, bothers my shins more than my knees. But, you’re right, you don’t want to injure yourself! We don’t want you to be sitting on the sidelines! Take care girl!

Kimmi: I know how you feel! My weight is doing the same thing! However, you’ve got to remember that overall, you’re probably losing inches, gaining muscle and P90X isn’t necessarily a weight loss program. I think you’ll find that towards the end of phase II and into phase III, you’ll probably see it start to drop. Don’t get too frustrated and try to stay away from the evil scale, I know it’s easier said than done because it just calls out for us to step on it! Grrrrrr!!!! Keep doing your thing girl!

Bob: I gotta say, you are quite the motivator!!! To be able to keep up with the schedule while traveling and keeping yourself motivated to do it, is quite an accomplishment! Most people would use it as an excuse! Way to go!!! As far as the calorie burn, I know I don’t burn as much with the resistence workouts as I do cardio. However, I have a book I bought a while ago and I just started reading it again. It said that doing anaerobic workouts will continue to burn more calories throughout the day than the aerobic ones. I still count my calorie burn for what it is and maintain my normal intake, if that makes sense. I’m not one for eating back any of my exercise calories.

Insomniak: Welcome! And welcome to MFP! It’s a great site and I’m sure you’ll find lots of good tips, motivation and support! Glad you found us! Glad to hear you’re all healed now and doing the X! Stick around, we’ll help you get to 90 days!!!

Blueviolet: Good job on core syn girl! P90X missed you too!

Well, I just finished my breakfast of champions, my usual Shakeology and then I’ll be pushing that play button, trying to push off last night’s dinner! Hey, at least I’m honest about it! Lol Have a great day everyone! Be back later!

Deb
  • lizard9800
    lizard9800 Posts: 474 Member
    Options

Do you skip to the end of the book to see the ending before you finish as well?....LOL

Ha! No, of course not. Just having a bad day and needed a pick me up. And it helped!!
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I started p90x about 3 weeks ago, but am bored to TEARS by yoga. :-( Was planning on the lean version, but have been substituting Plyo X for Cardio X on day 2 and Cardio X for Yoga X on day 4. Anyone else out there "adjusting" the program at all?

Initially was trying to stick with the 1800 cal recommended in Phase 1, but found I gained weight the first two weeks! Argh! MFP recommended less- it seems like the calorie count is more tailored to men than women...? So glad to find this to accompany the workouts!

I teach figure skating an found myself telling a student to "do your best and forget the rest" the other day lol.
  • lindajay3
    lindajay3 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have to say this recovery week business is making me go backwards. I should have taken pictures on Sunday. I'm eating too much, not exercising much (wrist doesn't help I guess). I've gained about a pound. Argh! I need the hardcore workouts everyday to keep me motivated apparently. Can't wait for Phase 2 to start. I may start a few days early... this is killing me. I miss my P90X!:sad: Fingers crossed that my wrist (which gets better everyday, but not enough to be lifting weights) is ok by Sat.

I ended up doing a lot of cardio on my recovery week because of the same reason. Now that I'm in the habit of getting up and working out I didn't want to go a whole week with nothing but yoga and stretching.
    Missed doing legs and back yesterday because of my schedule but thinking of sticking it in tomorrow instead of my rest day. After six weeks of doing this I'm really seeing results in parts of my body - my back is really showing some definition and I can definitely see muscles in my arms - now to lose some more pounds!
    Can't believe I'm going in to my 7th week!
    Have a great Saturday everyone!
  • annyshay
    annyshay Posts: 42
    Options
    I have been busy this morning, mostly to make up for a night off with my roommate last night (wine and Wanted, brilliant). Today I did Back & Biceps, Ab Ripper X, and then right into Plyo X. It was a push and my burns weren't as high for any of them as usual, but I still BROUGHT it and was accountable to myself. Now, I think it's time for a nice long bath. :0) Happy weekend, all!
  • lizard9800
    lizard9800 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Houston, I think we have a problem! I think the Plyo is making my knees sore. I'm pretty sure I have "runner's knee" and I'm also pretty certain it's the plyo that's caused it. All of the other exercises I've done before and not infrequently. I know it's not the Kenpo because I've been doing Taekwondo for two years.

So after looking at exercises to strengthen the inner leg so the outer muscle doesn't pull and make more pain I decided to gingerly do legs & back today. If it hurt, I stopped but was able to do most of the exercises. I'm thinking I will have to stop doing Plyo for the rest of this round. I have a couple of knee braces on the way that should be here by next Friday (different than the neoprene sleeves I've been using.)

I will probably take the weekend off to give the knees a rest and see how I feel Monday. If they're still feeling sore I'll have to sit out TKD this week but I just can't risk really injuring myself. (I have no insurance so I'm pretty paranoid about injury and tend to stop and *kitten* before things get really bad. Going to the Doc would be a lovely idea but unless it's absolutely necessary it's not going to happen.)

Right now I'm icing and before bed I slather Tiger Balm all over my knees, lower thighs and upper calves and wake up feeling much better!

Have any of you who've done the X before had this issue? If I'm careful and take care can I eventually build up the strength around my knees and slowly work myself of out this problem? Trust me, if it got really bad my DH would make sure I went to the doc regardless of insurance so please know I'm not hobbling around unable to walk and just trying to gut it out.

Hope the rest of you are doing awesome!

I just had ACL surgery about 5 months ago. Still have one month to go before my doc gives me the go ahead to be "normal" again.
    I was concerned about Plyo when I first started, so I decided I would do CardioX until I found it wasn't as much of a workout as I wanted. So I gingerly did Plyo with my brace on and did the Blam modified moves. My knee started to ache about half way through so I just jumped less and didn't try to keep up with Tony. Next time I did Plyo my knee didn't hurt at all. Now it varies - sometimes I can feel it and have to dial it down and other days I'm going full speed. My doctor told me I don't need the brace indoors anymore, but I still modify certain moves (all the step through ones). Legs and Back will help you for sure. And lots of stretching! If kicking in Kenpo doesn't hurt, and lunges/squats are fine then my guess would be the jumping. Definitely high impact! A brace is more a peace of mind than anything, but a physical therapist might not be a bad idea.
    Hope you find a solution and keep bringing it!
  • erniemj
    Options
    I started p90x about 3 weeks ago, but am bored to TEARS by yoga. :-( Was planning on the lean version, but have been substituting Plyo X for Cardio X on day 2 and Cardio X for Yoga X on day 4. Anyone else out there "adjusting" the program at all?

Initially was trying to stick with the 1800 cal recommended in Phase 1, but found I gained weight the first two weeks! Argh! MFP recommended less- it seems like the calorie count is more tailored to men than women...? So glad to find this to accompany the workouts!

I teach figure skating an found myself telling a student to "do your best and forget the rest" the other day lol.

There are several of us on the same schedule you are - today was day 21 for me (swapped Kenpo X from yesterday to today) - and I have the same problem - I just don't have time for 90 minutes of Yoga with my four kids - last time I tried to do Yoga, about 30 minutes into it, I hear "mom I did a stinky in my underwear" - well, if that did not kill the Yoga mood, I don't know what will - but to answer the question, I modify the P90x by subbing Zumba classes 2x a week for the Cardio X and for Yoga (although I try to do some Yoga before the Zumba class - I actually do better in Zumba after I have warmed up and stretched out with the Yoga) - I am also not necessarily following the nutrition guide - I am trying to do the percentages, but am having a hard time trying to consume 170g of protein a day! so - do I expect the poster-child P90x results since I am modifying - NO! - but will I hopefully be better off as a result - YES! (at least I hope so) - oh, I also am not paying for the supplements or recovery drinks - I am on a limited budget!
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    There are several of us on the same schedule you are - today was day 21 for me (swapped Kenpo X from yesterday to today) - and I have the same problem - I just don't have time for 90 minutes of Yoga with my four kids - last time I tried to do Yoga, about 30 minutes into it, I hear "mom I did a stinky in my underwear" - well, if that did not kill the Yoga mood, I don't know what will - but to answer the question, I modify the P90x by subbing Zumba classes 2x a week for the Cardio X and for Yoga (although I try to do some Yoga before the Zumba class - I actually do better in Zumba after I have warmed up and stretched out with the Yoga) - I am also not necessarily following the nutrition guide - I am trying to do the percentages, but am having a hard time trying to consume 170g of protein a day! so - do I expect the poster-child P90x results since I am modifying - NO! - but will I hopefully be better off as a result - YES! (at least I hope so) - oh, I also am not paying for the supplements or recovery drinks - I am on a limited budget!

Thanks, it's great to get some alternate ideas, though I feel bad about swapping things around a bit. Very impressed that you are able to exercise at all with 4 kids. I thought it was bad with two dogs! ;-)
  • reepobob
    Options

Ha! No, of course not. Just having a bad day and needed a pick me up. And it helped!!

I couldn't resist! After my wife's *ahem* suspect measuring at the end of Phase 1, I am not having her do ANY measurements until day 60 and I will have her measure 3X and average them out. I am glad you got some good results! Those kind of things go a long way to keeping us "pushing play"!
  • reepobob
    Options
    I posted a question about calorie burns yesterday (that little voice of doubt was creeping into my subconscious) because I have been treading water in terms of my weight for the better part of 2+ weeks and I step on the scale this morning and "BLAM" I am down 4 pounds. I calculated my weekly weight loss from the day I started and I am averaging 1.85 pounds/week which is right around the 2 pounds/week I have set up in MFP. I am officially stopping the second guessing of what I am doing and trust in my routine because it is WORKING!

I burned a steady 808 calories on Kenpo-X today and was really surprised that I did considering I was really feeling it from Legs, Back, and ARX. I think Tony has an evil streak in him in the Lean program for following up Legs and Back for a routine where you kick the next day! Maybe it is by design...

Do any of you see an issue with swapping Kenpo-X and Legs and Back + ARX days? Considering that they are sandwiched between a Yoga-X day and a Rest/X-Stretch day, I don't see it being a problem but wanted to get some opinions from the fine folks on this thread. My travel schedule on Fridays is making it very tough to do Legs and Back because I tend to pause each routine and do them at my own pace so I don't get screwed up on the rep counts and it normally takes at least 90 minutes to get through the workout. I will either have to do the routine between 3-3:30am or do it when I get home in the evening on Friday. Kenpo-X is much more conducive to an early morning workout.

Thoughts, fellow P90Xers?

X-Stretch tomorrow...need to get the kinks out!! Being 40 sucks!
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Today was officially the end of my first official Week 1
    Chest and Back today ... I really brought it hard and I was proud of it.
    I did about 15 minutes of X stretch today ... but I was just exhausted.
    Tomorrow is my rest day (better known as my long run day) so it will be 10 miles in the morning!
    Keep BRINGING it!
  • erniemj
    Options
    My first Recovery week starts today! Sweet! Anyone have any suggestions for good eating this week? Thanks! Also - is there a whey protein that does not have artificial sweeteners or other added "muscle fuel" stuff? Thanks - I just want to add protein, not bulk up, and continue to lose weight! thanks!