What food's calorie content shocked you the most....?!?!?!

Options

Replies

• Hsanders3961
    Hsanders3961 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    This BLEW ME AWAY when I found out the calorie content--Cracker Barrel's Baked Apple Dumpling........3229 calories!!!! Luckily, it was not mine, but I did have a few bites.....it was probably 100 calories per bite! HOLY COW! I couldn't believe it.

As for low calories, I LOVE that a strawberry is only around 4-5 calories....how can something so delicious be so low cal? Its alright, I'll take it!
  • miss_jamaica
    miss_jamaica Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Has to be the Olive Garden Tour of Italy. Eat it with the salad and one bread stick and you are at 2000 calories. Dang!
  • susu5
    susu5 Posts: 122
    Options
    Peanut Butter: PB2 is a dry peanut butter and you add water. Two tablespoons of PB2 and a little water and it is 35 calories, a lot of savings!! I hope this helps you with peanut butter. And it tastes the same as regular peanut butter, no difference!
  • beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Olives
    Hamburger meat
    Subway sandwiches
    Salad dressings
  • AmyBrenn
    AmyBrenn Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks. I had to jump rope for 16 mins to get rid of that one coffee!! So not worth it.

Yeah, add their Pumpkin spice scone for an extra 480 calories!!!! I would treat myself to one on occasion after a really hard boot camp session. I knew it had more calories than I usually consume for breakfast, but 480??? Good thing I got an Americano with it for 5 calories.
  • susu5
    Options
    GOOD: Original liquid eggs are really good and you can also use them in baking. The Hungry Girl cookbooks are great to find baking receipes using these. They are LOW - 35 calories for either 1/4 cup or 1/3 cup of liquid eggs. It makes a great omelet! Almond milk unsweetened 35 calories: make sure to read on back to make sure the one you have is the 35 calorie one, sometimes they are either 60 calories or 90 calories a cup. Kentucky fried chicken leg original 100calories.

BAD: Kentucky Fried original chicken breast: 300 calories
  • susu5
    Options
    Subway veggie delight: 290 calories with sweet onion sauce on whole wheat bread -- not bad!! And you put all of the veggies you want on it!!
  • Janet39
    Janet39 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I bought without reading the label, I know it's wrong.

Asda Date and Walnut individual sponge pudding 453cal, ie 100cal per spoonful.

I know 2 wrongs do not make a right but I ate it anyway. It was soooo not worth it.
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I surprised to see the calorie and sodium content for salads at restaurants....staying away from those for sure!

Tell me about it. Cobb salads used to be a fav of mine until I found out most have over 1,000 calories and 1,500mg sodium. Used to love the full salads at CPK like the original BBQ chicken chopped salad...no way am I ordering that again. Over 1,100 calories and 1,400mg sodium. YIKES!!!
  • Hsanders3961
    Hsanders3961 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    BUMP! Lets see some more!
  • Sallerina84
    Sallerina84 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Guillian Shell Chocolates!!! 290 EACH!!! That's more than your average chocolate bar in ONE chocolate....I bought my boyfriend a mini box for Valentine's day and it had about 8 chocolates in it and there were about 2000 calories in that tiny box! Couldn't believe it!

I love guillian shells too, but never again!!!!!!!!!!!

Creme Eggs are only 150 cals apparently :) so they're good to cure the occasional chocolate craving!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I thought it was 290 cals for a portion size of 4 chocolates.
  • MuseumMonkey
    Options
    swiss mix or trail mix..seems healthy but its not :(

Not something I'm going to snack on just to keep my mouth occupied and myself awake in class anymore!

I do want to say though, that high-calorie does not necessarily mean unhealthy. Nuts and trail mix...are hard to work into a calorie count for the day, but the fat in nuts is good fat, and they're also a source of protein. Soya nuts too--egad, I grabbed a modest bowlful one day as a post-workout snack and then found that I was getting almost 700 calories. So that was my whole lunch...
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Nuts in general have depressed me. I love mixed nuts, especially pecans and peanuts but ridiculously high in cals and fat!
  • TriumphNow
    TriumphNow Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Before any education on food... Granola!

I was shocked about granola too. I had the little cup sized sample at the store and thought I was doing good skipping the other samples. When I looked at the package, it was 115 calories for 1/4 cup. That's one little palm size! When I think how easy it is to eat a few handfuls of it, that's bad. I didn't buy a bag but I did eat the sample...but I logged it :)
  • bybybelly
    bybybelly Posts: 56
    Options
    :laugh:
    Before any education on food... Granola! I used to eat it like everyday! And sweet potatoes carb content. But it is a better bang for your buck on the potassium vs. the banana :) I'm surprised at how low strawberries are hah!

Granola was one of mine too! I thought I was eating healthy every morning until I logged G-R-A-N-O-L-A!:laugh:
  • swheeler0602
    swheeler0602 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Sugar is stored in an onions starch.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    My first shock was the amount of sugar in fruit juices - I always used to start the day with a glass of orange or grapefruit juice. I've switched that to either V8 vegetable or no-sugar cranberry types instead. That was early on in this journey and it showed me that simple changes could make a big difference.

I was also shocked by the amount of fat in smoked fish (salmon or mackerel, which someone had recommended for breakfasts).
  • megganwinland
    Options
    Biscuits I ate breakfast for dinner the other night and ate 580 calories worth of biscuits! it was crazy.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    the chicken and vegetable stirfry i made last night, then logged it and it was over 650 calories :(
    I nearly cried.

Back to the weightwatchers ready meals. At least i know what im eating in advance then.