Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

What food's calorie content shocked you the most....?!?!?!

Replies

• reander
    reander Posts: 175 Member
    This thread is making me hungry :laugh:

For me it's a large bowl of nachos with sour cream/salsa/guacamole/cheese. I used to eat these all the time, I looked on the menu last night and it was 1460 calories and 8.9 grams of salt (i don't know how to calculate the sodium but I know it's a hell of a lot). The only thing I can be thankful for is that I used to split it!
  • debbyrae3
    debbyrae3 Posts: 200 Member
    My "holy crap" moments (yes, moments in plural...) were:

1.) My husband and I went out with my mom, her husband, and a couple of friends and we ate Taco Bell. I got my (used-to-be) normal meal of 1 beefy 5-layer burrito, 1 regular bean burrito no onions and a soda and it was crazy calories!!!

2.) My other "holy crap moment" was when my husband and I got a large stuffed crust pepperoni pizza from Pizza Hut and some breadsticks. I ate 2 slices of pizza and 2 breadsticks and it was over 1,000 calories WITHOUT COUNTING THE DIPPING SAUCE OF THE STICKS!!!
  • Beer! I knew it was high but I'm definitely a beer snob - most of the high end beers and barley wines I love and used to drink 3 - 4 of a weekend aren't even IN my diet any more because of it!

Also all of those granola/fiber one bars ... I bought a box the other day not paying attention and realized that they're 140 calories a piece! EEK!
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    a golden delicious apple large (100 calories) REALLY!! then Pizza, I knew it couldnt be good but the real # blew me away!
  • I have always known that ranch dressing is high in calories and fat, but until I started tracking what I ate and how much ranch dressing I put on everything, I didn't realize just HOW MANY calories I was eating JUST from the ranch dressing alone! I'm slowly trying to overcome my "ranch addiction," but it isn't easy....

Omg, I'm the same way about ranch! I eat it on EVERYTHING! I had to stop eating pizza just because I always put so much ranch on it that it almost doubles my calories :( I cringe at the thought of how many calories I would eat before when I'd have like 3 pieces of pizza and breadsticks and chicken wings covered in ranch... oh noooo
  • ccaym
    ccaym Posts: 86
    Pasta surprised me. I knew it was high in calories but I did not realize how high...especially compared to veggies.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    I like to cook from scratch and one thing that I treat myself to is homemade bread.

When working from scratch I put the recipe in through MFP database to see what the calorie per serving is.

I'm totally shocked at how many of the calories comes from the flour!!

I would have thought that for baked goods that the killer ingredients was butter or sugar, but flour is 1600 cals/cup!!
  • Rebeccasluckyduck
    Rebeccasluckyduck Posts: 168 Member
    Pop Tarts. Yeah, I know. They're a big NO NO. I was way under my calories the other day and these frosted strawberry pop tarts were calling my name. I ate a package thinking they would be maybe a couple hundred calories. They were...each. One package of 2 pop tarts has 400 calories. Put me way over my goal for the day. :cry:
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Just about everything at Chilis....one of my favorite restaurants....and it just seems there isn't anything low calorie there....ick....
  • Definately Olive Garden's Salad...!!! Happy I checked BEFORE going!!!

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]5768506.png[/url]
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Avocado.

I actually expected MORE. lol.
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    A cinnamon sugar cookie from Quiznos - 390 calories! I REALLY was shocked even though it was a cookie :)
    I can do one better. A sugar cookie from Potbelly's (and, MAN, are they delicious!) is 550 calories! After I found that out, I never had another one. This was prior to me joining MFP too.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    I find that anything in a restaraunt is high. My real suprise was that most pizza places seem to have better calorie counts than a regular family restaraunt.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Walnuts at about 200 an ounce.
  • Gettinfit2
    Gettinfit2 Posts: 254 Member
    Nuts ( especially cashews)
    Pizza
    Almost anything at a fast food place
    Subway cookies ( a small cookie is about 220 calories)
    Bagels
    Lara Bars
  • mae3785
    mae3785 Posts: 40 Member
    Just about everything at Chilis....one of my favorite restaurants....and it just seems there isn't anything low calorie there....ick....

As someone who used to work there I have to agree! If it wasn't for running around like chickens with our heads cut off most servers would be extremely overweight. Just as a side note the healthiest thing there is the margarita chicken I believe. All their nutritional info can be found online and we used to always try to find "healthy" ways to eat menu items there.
  • Cafe Latte with low fat milk and no sweetener - over 200 Cals - never expected that
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Half an avocado has 15g of fat. FIFTEEN.
    :frown:
  • fantomette
    fantomette Posts: 148 Member
    Last week I went at BOLOCOS and ate a delicious burritos. The SMALL one. My Wifi didn't worked so I only checked the calories after.
    ...and the effing burritos contained more than 700 calories!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I wanted to die!

Ah and I was surprised at how small a portion of rice or pasta is. I measured them. It's insane. I used to eat 4 or 5 times that portion...eeeekc
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Ribs. They are mostly inedible BONES! A rack of ribs is 1200 calories or something.