What do You Do for a Living?

Options
craftylatvian
craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
I thought it would be interesting to see what others did for a living and how it impacts their workout routine/diet.
I am a legal secretary for a large law firm, lots of stress and last-minute deadlines. I just began working out and it will be in the mornings after I get up. I sit at a desk all day and it is hard not to munch all day long, even if it is eating carrots and nuts, those can add up!

Replies

• RoniDoll
    RoniDoll Posts: 262
    Options
    I am a receptionist! It is hard to stay in shape when you sit at a desk all day long! LOL
  • andiimarie
    andiimarie Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I am an attorney and I have a really hard time getting workouts in. I also pretty much just sit at my desk all day. I hate getting up early in the morning and by the time I get home at night I'm just beat. Lately I have been doing pretty well at getting at least a half hour walk in after work. It helps to know that my dog really appreciates it! lol
  • starrbright585
    Options
    I run a boutique downtown so i'm on my feet all day! Hauling inventory up and downstairs etc etc. When I work in the afternoon I go in the morning, and when I work in the morning I either work out at home or go in the evening (my gym gets super crowded almost to the point of obnoxious between 5:30 and 7:00 so i try to avoid if i can!) and I walk EVERYWHERE!
  • Daisygurl7
    Daisygurl7 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I Stay at home with my 2 boys.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    RN so my shift work can mess me up.
  • shellbell1993
    shellbell1993 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I am an Early Childcare Educator and work in what is a Best Start Hub (we put on programs for children and the parents/caregivers. I also do Outreach work too. Can be both desk work and active play with children.
    We try and provide healthy snacks, so there are some days of "cupcake or cookie making" too :)
    Hard to not eat them with the kids...
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    IT geek behind a desk all day.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Whatever they tell me to do. Usually right after it needs to be done, and with 1/10 the required budget which may be approved in two weeks but only if I really need it.
  • Jaedynmoon
    Jaedynmoon Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mom. It was difficult last year when I was finishing up my degree but now it's easy to plan the meals and work out. Plus, my daughter loves 'playing exercise' with me :)
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I am a dog groomer and that can be a work out on it's own! I walk or bike to and from work but do not log it because it is figured into my lifestyle calories. I do try to squeeze my butt or do my kegels while I blow dry a dog!
  • acollier0510
    acollier0510 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do research for a private-company which means I sit at my desk all day long. My little trick for trying to move is that I drink A LOT of water and so I walk to the farthest bathroom about every hour. I'm sure everyone at my office thinks that I have a bladder problem. :smile:
  • tiffanyvc
    tiffanyvc Posts: 99
    Options
    I'm a nurse, but I have more of a management role now, rather than patient care, so I don't do as much walking around as I used to. I work 8 to 4, so I can work out either in the morning (if I can EVER get myself out of bed early enough to do so) but I usually go after work. The gym is not too crowded between 4:30 and 5:30, and my fiance gets off work at 6, so I can usually meet him after my workout and then we enjoy our evening together. It has actually worked out pretty perfectly. The only thing that would make it better would be a work out buddy, but my friends all live too far away and have different schedules.
  • crystal10584
    Options
    accounting... stressful desk job... explains why gaining was so easy!
  • casandra_Garcia_37
    Options
    I am an Orthodontic Assistant..I get a good little work out with it. I love my job. :o)
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I work the evening shift as a medical laboratory technologist at a university hospital laboratory. Depending on my assigned workstation, I can be sitting most of the shift, standing/walking a lot, or somewhere in between. Since I have my mornings and early afternoons free, it's great for getting outside for walking and yard work while I'm still fresh. Since I'm on my own, I tend to eat brunch around 11 a.m.-noon, dinner at work around 6 p.m., and a midnight snack when I get home at night.
  • skinney1357
    Options
    I am a high school english teacher and softball coach. Coaching gets me outside and teaching gives a more flexible schedule so I usually workout after work :)
  • jdillion53
    Options
    I am a cashier in a retail grocery store, lots of bending and lifting mainly on one side. Sometimes I do a lot of walking, getting carts in the parking lot, grabbing stuff for customers from somewhere in the store, but none of what I do works the core (unless I do kegels while working) or helps me to lose weight. It seems just looking at the food and smelling the deli/bakery all day helps me to put on weight. Temptation everywhere.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    It appears that I screw around on MFP with the occasional glance at TMZ for about 8 1/2 hours each day.........
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I am an admin assistant. Not too stressful. I sit at a desk as well. I keep a risistance tub under my desk for working on my arms when things get slow. I take the long way around the building when I need to get up and I work out in the evening at the same time as my hubby so we don't miss out on time together. His job pays for his membership to a great gym and I get the spouse price.
  • LixxiKitti
    LixxiKitti Posts: 116
    Options
    I am an events manager, mainly office based so sitting at a desk alot. Fortunately I work 8am - 4pm so I am usually able to work out between 4 - 6 pmish.