Paleo/Primal way of eating = finally the truth revealed?

Options
18910111214»

Replies

• YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    There was a tornado going through my area so I didn't feel like typing out my diet philosophy on my phone.
    Again I will ask you,,,,,, and of course this is just a forum there is no rule saying you have to answer questions, but what diet plan do you follow?

-Calories In vs. Calories Out determine weight fluctuation.
    -Macronutrition & Muscle Stimulation determines what type of weight is gained or burned.
    -Micronutrition determines one's overall health concerning body functions.

-Ideally, eat all whole, unprocessed foods.
    -Processed foods are allowed if they fit into your calories, macro and micronutrition.
    -Don't eat food that have adverse affects on your body due to insulin resistance, allergies or intolerance.
    -The timing and frequency of meals is personal preference.

-Calories, Macronutrition, and Muscle Stimulation are the most important factor for body composition by a large margin.

Cutting out any food that one enjoys from a diet gives power over that food. It is far better to practice portion controlling from a mental standpoint or binging may occur.

-Ideally, eat all whole, unprocessed foods.
    -Processed foods are allowed if they fit into your calories, macro and micronutrition.

Oh the hypocrisy, how dare you, are you the inventor of this hypocritical diet, you should be stoned for such a thing. LOL thanks for the laugh, no really ,what diet do you follow?

Key word: ideally.

I don't completely condemn foods based on their level of processed-ness. Again, giving them that power is far more detrimental than actually enjoying small quantities of the foods you like if they fit into your diet, in my opinion.
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Actually, I listened to, and corresponded with, Robb Wolf. Perhaps you've heard of him. I do not selectively take in only supporting data. Keep tryin'. It's a little cute, and a little sad.
  • cgan
    cgan Posts: 15
    Options
    What is irrelevant, your diet or the fact that CW (conventional wisdom) is always getting it wrong, and hurting a lot of people in the process? And talk about not contributing anything, how about your link that has next to nothing of substance?

why is it necessary to eliminate dairy and grains in the diets of individuals with no allergy/intolerance or insulin resistance?

Grains contain lectins. Lectins are specialized proteins that, even in small amounts, are harmful. They are very tough to digest (resisting stomach acid and other digestive enzymes) thus they leave the stomach nearly intact. As they pass through the system they damage the cells lining your intestines, leading to small “microperforations” or tiny holes in your intestinal lining. These holes allow any foreign substances to cross into the bloodstream... where they do not belong. your immune system will take notice and attack, which can show as any number of autoimmune disease. THIS RESPONSE HAPPEN IN EVERYONE WHO EATS GRAINS.

Anyone who has only known a grain based diet may not even notice the effects, (but as I said in an earlier post) try it for two weeks and see how you feel, you'll probably feel better in more ways than you thought.

Source?

For your reading pleasure...

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6TCS-4CHRWG0-4&_user=10&_coverDate=09/15/2004&_rdoc=1&_fmt=high&_orig=gateway&_origin=gateway&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1705532561&_rerunOrigin=scholar.google&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=15e4f4dde95f19125a3e6e0019892fbf&searchtype=a
    As a result of this interaction a series of harmful local and systemic reactions are triggered placing this class of molecules as antinutritive and/or toxic substances. Locally, they can affect the turnover and loss of gut epithelial cells, damage the luminal membranes of the epithelium, interfere with nutrient digestion and absorption, stimulate shifts in the bacterial flora and modulate the immune state of the digestive tract. Systemically, they can disrupt lipid, carbohydrate and protein metabolism, promote enlargement and/or atrophy of key internal organs and tissues and alter the hormonal and immunological status

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=880100&fulltextType=RV&fileId=S0007114500000271#
    In genetically susceptible individuals, this antigenic stimulation may ultimately result in the expression of overt rheumatoid arthritis (RA) via molecular mimicry, a process whereby foreign peptides, similar in structure to endogenous peptides, may cause antibodies or T-lymphocytes to cross-react with both foreign and endogenous peptides and thereby break immunological tolerance

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1933252/?tool=pmcentrez

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15302522
    One of the most nutritionally important features of plant lectins is their ability to survive digestion by the gastrointestinal tract of consumers. This allows the lectins to bind to membrane glycosyl groups of the cells lining the digestive tract. As a result of this interaction a series of harmful local and systemic reactions are triggered placing this class of molecules as antinutritive and/or toxic substances

http://www.totalhealthbreakthroughs.com/2009/07/lectins-a-little-known-trouble-maker/
    Lectins are problematic because they are sticky molecules that can bind to the linings of human tissue, especially intestinal cells. In so doing, they disable cells in the GI tract, keeping them from repairing and rebuilding.1 Therefore, lectins can contribute to eroding your intestinal barrier (leaky gut)

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2008/04/leptin-and-lectins-part-ii.html
    Grains and legumes (beans, soy, peas, peanuts) are rich in some particularly nasty lectins. Especially wheat. Some can degrade the intestinal lining. Some have the ability to pass through the intestinal lining and show up in the bloodstream. Once in the bloodstream, they may bind all sorts of carbohydrate-containing proteins in the body, including the insulin receptor. They could theoretically bind the leptin receptor, which also contains carbohydrate (= it's glycosylated), potentially desensitizing it. This remains to be tested, and to my knowledge is pure speculation at this point. What is not so speculative is that once you're leptin-resistant, you become obese and insulin resistant, and at that point you are intolerant to any type of carbohydrate. This may explain the efficacy of carbohydrate restriction in weight loss and improving general health.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/08/070801091240.htm
    Lectins disable GI tract cells, which are constantly bombarded while digesting food, from repairing tears in cells walls from all the activity. Repair normally occurs in seconds: internal membranes move up to patch the tear, the cell recovers and the one-cell layer lining of the GI tract remains intact.
    "If those individual cells cannot repair tears, they die," says Dr. McNeil. "That means you have gaps in the integrity of the surface area of the epithelium and you are exposing the nasty internal world of your GI tract to your blood supply."
    The epithelial lining is a continuous, natural barrier between digesting food in the GI tract and the blood supply. When intact, it allows only good stuff like nutrients to pass through.

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/health/lectins-affect-health-44008.html
    Some lectins enter the general circulation of the body and attach themselves to the bladder, nerves, and other tissues, which, in susceptible people, results in an inflammatory response. Moreover, almost everyone has antibodies to some dietary lectins. So many food allergies are actually immune-system reactions to lectins.
    Today there’s a trend to eat less-processed grains, which are more nutritious, but unfortunately they contain more lectins

http://www.ei-resource.org/articles/leaky-gut-syndrome-articles/leaky-gut-syndrome:-the-systemic-consequences-of-faulty-digestion/
  • JohnnyNull
    Options
    Well, that's the closest the pro-side has come to coming up with something interesting. However,

"Lectins serve many different biological functions in animals, from the regulation of cell adhesion to glycoprotein synthesis and the control of protein levels in the blood. They may also bind soluble extracellular and intercellular glycoproteins. Some lectins are found on the surface of mammalian liver cells that specifically recognize galactose residues. It is believed that these cell-surface receptors are responsible for the removal of certain glycoproteins from the circulatory system. Another lectin is a receptor that recognizes hydrolytic enzymes containing mannose-6-phosphate, and targets these proteins for delivery to the lysosomes. I-cell disease is one type of defect in this particular system. Lectins are also known to play important roles in the immune system by recognizing carbohydrates that are found exclusively on pathogens, or that are inaccessible on host cells. Examples are the lectin complement activation pathway and mannose-binding lectin."

Also:

"Foods with high concentrations of lectins, such as beans, cereal grains, seeds, and nuts, may be harmful if consumed in excess in uncooked or improperly cooked form"

Did you note : "may", "in excess", "undercooked or improperly cooked"? Hardly the fear-mongering "THIS RESPONSE HAPPEN IN EVERYONE WHO EATS GRAINS."
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Actually, I listened to, and corresponded with, Robb Wolf. Perhaps you've heard of him. I do not selectively take in only supporting data. Keep tryin'. It's a little cute, and a little sad.

That means that you purposely omitted the part about the tuber residue, and that there is little or no evidence it was in wide spread use.

Come back when your mommy will let you stay longer.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Eat lots of fresh veges, lean meat, fish, fresh fruit and nuts. Eat organic if you can afford it. Grass fed meats are also probably better for you as they are leaner.

Avoid starchy/sugary "white food", such as bread, pasta, grains, sugar, rice, potatoes, flour, etc.

Cut back or eliminating dairy (a dash of milk in your coffee is fine - a grande latte is asking for trouble).

Cut back or eliminate legumes, or at least avoid soy products.

Try to keep your carbs under 100g or 150g a day. (cavemen ate about 80g of carbs a day)

Lift heavy things, go for long walks (2+ hours a week) and sprint occasionally. Play with your kids lots.

Do that 80% of the time and you will be fine. One, two or three meals a week outside the paleo box are ok. But as cookie monster says "white food is a sometimes food".

For a typical paleo breakfast, most people have something based on eggs, perhaps some fruit. I ate a left over steak this morning and some watermelon.

For lunch eat a massive salad and a serve of meat or fish.

For snacks munch on nuts and berries. Fruit is great. Beef jerky is an acquired taste.

For supplements, take a multi, vitamin D, fish oil and acidopholis. Perhaps have a protein shake if you want,

This sounds like how I already eat, but I love peas and beans.
  • JohnnyNull
    Options

That means that you purposely omitted the part about the tuber residue, and that there is little or no evidence it was in wide spread use.

It means I understand special pleading when I hear it.

And you still have yet to learn the absolute basics of critical thinking.

And you still resort to ad hominem, since you have no rational basis or independent thought.
  • JohnnyNull
    Options

Oh, and since you obviously cannot follow your own scattered thinking (or what passes for it), what it DOES show is an interest in getting both sides of a debate.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options

It means I understand special pleading when I hear it.

And you still have yet to learn the absolute basics of critical thinking.

And you still resort to ad hominem, since you have no rational basis or independent thought.

Yea right, you posted;

A quick correction. There was a discovery a while back that proved that grains were farmed further back than originally thought, including the time period somehow magically deemed perfect by the Paleo crowd.

In a feeble minded attempt to show that the “paleo crowd” is wrong about the timing of when grains came into wide spread use. Then you posted;

The reaction was exactly what you'd expect. Nothing. It's like a cult that refuses to take in any refuting data. Cherry-picking, as you have nailed it in this thread.

In yet another feeble effort to show that the “Paleo crowd” avoided the subject trying to ignore data that does not “fit”

I called you on it, then you said you listen to Robb Wolf, making the implication you had indeed heard of the data that does not support you initial claim. So are you a liar or did you just “forget” to mention that not everyone agrees your evidence is proof positive there was wide spread use of grains before about 10000 years ago.

If you had any interest in getting both sides you would not come on here with your cheap little barbs, and simple minded spin on the facts. If you cannot stand up as a man when you are caught lying about data, then there is no use discussing anything further.

I almost forgot the good advice I was giving years ago, “don’t argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Maybe I we will converse in the future if you have anything of substance to discuss, Later Jester.
  • emberd
    emberd Posts: 36
    Options
    I too agree with accountant boi. This is a debate that I have regularly with my husband. He believes strict paleo, I believe in a more rounded approach. I do not believe that eating lard and bacon is as healthy for your or even more so than eating whole grains. It's all perspective, and I say "To each his own".
  • caprica
    caprica Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I too agree with accountant boi. This is a debate that I have regularly with my husband. He believes strict paleo, I believe in a more rounded approach. I do not believe that eating lard and bacon is as healthy for your or even more so than eating whole grains. It's all perspective, and I say "To each his own".

It totally depends on which paleo author you read. Some Paleo authors promote eating lean meats and staying away from processed meats, such as bacon.
  • JohnnyNull
    Options
    Waaah waaaah waaaaah. Reality doesn't agree with me.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Well, that's the closest the pro-side has come to coming up with something interesting. However,

"Lectins serve many different biological functions in animals, from the regulation of cell adhesion to glycoprotein synthesis and the control of protein levels in the blood. They may also bind soluble extracellular and intercellular glycoproteins. Some lectins are found on the surface of mammalian liver cells that specifically recognize galactose residues. It is believed that these cell-surface receptors are responsible for the removal of certain glycoproteins from the circulatory system. Another lectin is a receptor that recognizes hydrolytic enzymes containing mannose-6-phosphate, and targets these proteins for delivery to the lysosomes. I-cell disease is one type of defect in this particular system. Lectins are also known to play important roles in the immune system by recognizing carbohydrates that are found exclusively on pathogens, or that are inaccessible on host cells. Examples are the lectin complement activation pathway and mannose-binding lectin."

Also:

"Foods with high concentrations of lectins, such as beans, cereal grains, seeds, and nuts, may be harmful if consumed in excess in uncooked or improperly cooked form"

Did you note : "may", "in excess", "undercooked or improperly cooked"? Hardly the fear-mongering "THIS RESPONSE HAPPEN IN EVERYONE WHO EATS GRAINS."

The mere fact that grains cause inflammation that can lead to heart disease, Type 2 Diabetes, arthritiis and many other ailments that are being passed off as being caused from simply aging or other causes is enough to keep me away from them.
  • moto813
    moto813 Posts: 8
    Options
    If you've read the books, you would know that everyone is intolerant. Some just handle it better and don't notice because it's something they've always eaten and have never stopped so they don't know what it feels like to feel their best. I am not sure how it's 'preachy' when it's science and facts. How can something (our natural instinctual way of eating) God created and that has worked for MILLIONS of years be so wrong? Also, why is it that over 10,000 years ago, there was no such thing as cancer, auto-immune disease or even cavities and then comes the agricultural revolution and all those things are everyday topics. I think you can't argue with fact or scientific proof. People are just gluttons who don't want to want...
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    "Believing that exercise can “make up for” unhealthy eating habits.

I could go on with this one for hours. It’s an extremely common misconception and one that allows far too many people to rationalize extremely unhealthy dietary habits. Exercise does not determine your biochemistry—diet does. It’s true that exercise (properly done) has many important health benefits. It can help improve, for instance, insulin sensitivity. This will not, however, somehow magically compensate for eating that stack of pancakes for breakfast. Although it is possible to burn off the sugar (with anaerobic exercise) it is NOT possible to burn off the insulin. Trans-fats, too, will NOT melt away and evaporate on the treadmill or stationary bike at the gym after you ate those French fries for lunch. Exercise is an ADJUNCT to a healthy diet…NOT a substitute."

This is so true.....when I was younger I lost weight by running or biking and was fairly active but still 10 - 20 lbs overweight because of my diet. Now that I can't spend 4 -5 hours a day hiking, biking, etc....the weight really came on. I am just finally getting serious about eating healthy. I appreciate this article you shared with us. I believe there are a lot of truths in this diet.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    In the past few days I've changed over to a Paleo style of menu and already my binges have ceased, a kilo of weight has melted away, I feel more alert and also much calmer around food.
    I'm not obsessing about my next meal, when I can eat again or if I'll be able to control myself when I do.

Trying to control my binges when I eat "healthy" grains and sometimes legumes is impossible. All these years of trying and failing made me feel like I was the one at fault for not being able to lose this excess weight of mine. I had no idea that the foods I was eating were keeping the fat on me and perpetuating the problem.

Just received and began reading "Why We Get Fat" by Gary Taubes.
    I finished The Paleo Diet yesterday and Primal Blueprint is next in queue on the nightstand.
    I've been reading marksdailyapple and several other sites and blogs and I KNOW that following this manner of eating will be the way out of my obesity.

I have cancer and I'm hoping that I see it eradicated from my body. My doctors say that diet has nothing to do with it but I hope I will prove them wrong. Eliminating dairy and grains just might do it.
    I'm willing to use myself as a guinea pig to see if it works.

Hope everyone is well and enjoying their Paleo lifestyle!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    In the past few days I've changed over to a Paleo style of menu and already my binges have ceased, a kilo of weight has melted away, I feel more alert and also much calmer around food.
    I'm not obsessing about my next meal, when I can eat again or if I'll be able to control myself when I do.

Trying to control my binges when I eat "healthy" grains and sometimes legumes is impossible. All these years of trying and failing made me feel like I was the one at fault for not being able to lose this excess weight of mine. I had no idea that the foods I was eating were keeping the fat on me and perpetuating the problem.

Just received and began reading "Why We Get Fat" by Gary Taubes.
    I finished The Paleo Diet yesterday and Primal Blueprint is next in queue on the nightstand.
    I've been reading marksdailyapple and several other sites and blogs and I KNOW that following this manner of eating will be the way out of my obesity.

I have cancer and I'm hoping that I see it eradicated from my body. My doctors say that diet has nothing to do with it but I hope I will prove them wrong. Eliminating dairy and grains just might do it.
    I'm willing to use myself as a guinea pig to see if it works.

Hope everyone is well and enjoying their Paleo lifestyle!

My husbands boss has cancer also and he not only dropped grains, legumes and dairy, but also dropped fruit except for once or twice a week as a dessert.

This makes sense because cancer feeds on sugar and fruit is full of well sugar.

Best of luck to you. I think you will be fine!!!