40+ Club: Spring Fitness Challenge

Options

Replies

• LadyPersia
    LadyPersia Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the wonderful support. Keep up the good work. We are above 40 and strong!!!
    Jprice---Keep the cheer!!! Namaste
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,816 Member
    Options
    JPriceGA, I hope you feel better today. :flowerforyou: Don't let these set-backs (as you see them) let you down. They are a part of the process and everybody goes through them. The key is that you are back to logging in and that is really the most important thing right now. I listen to Jillian Michael's podcasts from when she used to have a radio show, and just in case you haven't heard this, I thought I'd share it with you. She compares 'falling off the wagon' or 'set-backs' to getting a flat tire. You get out, fix it and move on......you don't slash the other three tires. Well, set-backs are the same way. You experience them, you fix it, and you move on. It doesn't make everything you've done to date null and void and it certainly isn't worth 'slashing your other tires'!

tron, so happy to see you!! I was wondering if you'd gotten lost in Nevada!! I'm so sorry to hear about your brother's family, but think it is wonderful he had you to turn to when he needed some help....and that he turned to you. It sounds like it was just what he needed. As you stated, moving may not solve their issues or heal their hearts, but maybe being closer to family and just a change may be the best thing for them. You are so wonderful in helping them out like you are. :flowerforyou: I hope everything works out for them.

niknik, congrats on your weight loss last week!! Sorry you aren't feeling too well right now. It may take a couple of days to get back on track, but I have no doubt you'll be able to do it. Look at what you've accomplished so far!!

LadyPersia, hope you are well!!

All here is good! Enjoying some sunshine this morning after the rain yesterday. Looking forward to doing my P90X Back/Bicep workout in a little while. My eating hasn't been great, but that's by design on my part right now so I'm okay with it. I wore a pair of jeans yesterday that I haven't worn since September, so I'm happy with where I'm at right now. I'd like to lose a few more pounds if possible, but I'm going to let that come off slowly.....if it comes off at all.

Hope you all have a great day!
  • Victorious_One
    Victorious_One Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    My DH has been as sick as a dog for three weeks. He finally went to the doctor and got some anti-biotics.

I've been dragging around like I still weight 250 lbs :ohwell: . I'm exhausted all the time. I know that my iron is low, but it's slowly rising with supplementation. I don't know what the heck else is wrong with me.

Pray for us, please!

At least the weather is beautiful, no excuse not to walk!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Good morning!!!! Not much to report, usual eating pattern (which I am happy about) and teaching my classes. I couldnt get up early this morning to attempt an upper body workout so once again none was done. :ohwell: I've always enjoyed working my lower body and doing cardio more than working my upper body. Maybe I need a good upper body dvd instead of just trying to working out on my own. I am going to look at the P90X chest, shoulders, tri dvd again and see if that is suitable at this time, of course I will need to modify some exercises. Stiring, what do you think?

Tron, I really hope your brother and his family can find the peace that they need. We truly do not understand how one must feel about losing a baby but I can imagine the pain can be unbearable. My prayers and thoughts go out to them and to you as well, to the the strength and wisdom to help them deal with it. I think it is a good idea they are moving closer to family.

niknik, congrats on your weight loss!!!! Keep up the good work. You will get back on track soon. :drinker:

Jprice, hang in there, keep moving forward...the most important thing is to not give up.

Stiring, how is the studying for your personal trng certification going? I am really thinking about getting my certification again for group fitness instructor. I might go with ACE again, easier to take. That is what I had in Germany when I was teaching aerobics, step and resistance trng classes. Being in the Zumba Instructor Network gives me a discount on the cert and study materials. From there I might do the personal trng one, just to have for myself and help out my students. My husband says that with my knowledge I have a PHD in fitness :laugh: but it is good to have something in writing to show. :happy:

Have a wonderful day!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • alf1163
    Options
    My DH has been as sick as a dog for three weeks. He finally went to the doctor and got some anti-biotics.

I've been dragging around like I still weight 250 lbs :ohwell: . I'm exhausted all the time. I know that my iron is low, but it's slowly rising with supplementation. I don't know what the heck else is wrong with me.

Pray for us, please!

At least the weather is beautiful, no excuse not to walk!

I really hope you both get better soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am also taking iron, now twice a day. I was taking it 3 times a day. I am stable now but they want me to keep supplementing. My iron levels were very low. :flowerforyou:
  • alf1163
    Options
    Stiring, Robin and others with bread machines. I found the Zori... machine, the mini breadmaker, at the military exchange online site. It sells for $175, no tax, there might be a shipping charge. Right now until Apr 11 there is a 15% discount code. They also offer a 2 yr extra warranty for 18.99 Is this a good price? Is it worth to buy the extra warranty? I think I am going to get it. I really hope I use it, dont want to waste the money. Is it easy to make bread? How about the ingredients? Will I save money making my own bread? I know it will be healthier but is it tasty? Please let me know as soon as you can. Thanks!!! :flowerforyou:
  • zebras
    zebras Posts: 600
    Options
    Alf:

As a bread machine newby, I think you should go with a brand that goes for about $100.00 a breadman or a cuisinart. And for that $100.00 you could get a 2-lb machine instead of 1-lb machine. I would hate for you to find that you like the bread, but can't be bothered to make the loaves because they are so small and they get eaten up so fast. You will find the breads much tastier than store bought, and you really know what you are eating, and you probably will break even or save money on the storebought ingredients. I'm not not knocking the Zori brand at all. I would have bought their 2 lb model in a heartbeat, had finances not been so tight As it is my Breadman for about $100 is working very nicely, it is just a little noisier than I would like.
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    alf, like zebras said (hi zebras!!!!) it really depends on what your needs are vs. how much you're willing to spend. The PX/BX price at $175 with 15% off is a GREAT price. I spent about $185 on mine. If you do decide to get it, I wouldn't recommend the warranty.

Regarding the machine itself, if you think you'll use it and you have the money, then I recommend it. But if you aren't sure if you are going to use it, then zebras is right and you can find less expensive models to try on. That's up to you.

Regarding the size of the loaves, I have the 1lb machine, and I get 10 slices of bread per loaf. That's perfect for me and my husband. When we are eating bread regularly, it lasts us five days, and I don't find it difficult to make bread that often. We actually don't eat that much bread on a regular basis, so I end up freezing bread, so the small machine is perfect for us. But if you think you'll be eating more, than, again, zebras is right, that you might want to go for a larger machine.

I would say that it takes less than 5 minutes to make the average loaf of bread. Most have 6-10 ingredients, depending on what you are making. I find it remarkably easy to do and not all that time consuming (but, again, I'm not doing it every day either, so.......) As I said before, I don't know if it is less or more expensive to make my own bread because I've never costed it out. It is worth it to me to avoid some of the crap they put into grocery store bread, so I've never cared about the cost. The taste is totally different and it is good. Store bought bread will taste WAY too sweet to you if you make your own bread for a little while. It definitely as a different taste, but it is also a good taste (at least it is for me!).

Okay, on to workouts. I actually think P90X Chest/Shoulders/Triceps would be too hard on your shoulder if I'm being honest. He does some weird moves in that workout (like the scarecrows, the dips, the various push-ups) that could put alot of stress on that shoulder joint. I'm happy to recommend some Cathe Friedrich DVDs though for upper body work that I find a little safer than the P90X workouts. Let me know if you'd like some recommendations because she's got all upper body workouts, total body workouts and split sets (like P90X), and I'd be happy to recommend a couple to you if you'd like. Just my input based on what I know about your shoulder on P90X though. Feel free to ignore it! :wink:

And, yes, I'm still working on the Personal Trainer reading. I'm at the point in the book where they are discussing how to design programs. Aside from the names of all the muscles and tendons and all that not-so-fun stuff, I'm finding that I'm not actually learning much. :ohwell: I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing...but most of it I know already. I think it would be great to get your group fitness instructor certification again!! It will probably be a breeze for you!

zebras, again, great to see you in the thread!!

Victorious_One, I'm so sorry to hear about the sick hubby AND that you aren't feeling well. Have you talked to your doctor at all about how you're feeling? Could this have anything to do with your protein absorption? I hope not. I'll be thinking about you. Please keep us posted on how you are doing!!! I'm worried!
  • alf1163
    Options
    Interesting points!!! Thanks!! I would love to save $ but then again I want to get a good machine that will not give me problems in the future. We do eat bread and there are three of us in the family. I also dislike all the crazy stuff they put in the bread, even the "healthy" ones. I am getting kinda excited about this. If it is that easy to make bread I wouldnt mind making it 1-3x a week. Also with the smaller loaves I can experiment different recipes and have different types of bread available. :happy:

Stiring, please recommend a safe but effective upper body workout. I understand about P90X, while I was doing it I didnt think it was the safest to do. We both seem to know what is safe but I always wonder how many people have gotten seriously injured doing this program. I appreciate your feedback and trust your knowledge. :drinker:
  • gbryant
    gbryant Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for the great advice. Were do you find a heart monitor with the chest band?

Had my Doctor appointment on Monday. More tests are being orderd, 24 hour halter monitor and they are going to do an Echocardiograhm. My last one was in 2006. I have a heart murmur. I do not take any medications. I only have nexium when needed. My blood pressure is great 100/60. I dropped my Cholesterol down from 189 to 143 and my triglycerides is down from 186 to 89. I have lost 14 lbs since I was at the doctors last. She was very happy with my checkup. She seems to think that I am just under alot of stress (I deal with the medical staff:laugh: ) and that it is whats causing me to throw PC's.
    My heart is acting alot better. Nothing going on with it since Monday.

Hope everyone has a great weigh in on Friday. I know that I have not been real good so far this week with calories, but there is always my next meal to try and do better :bigsmile:
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    alf, the workout I'd recommend right off the bat is Cathe's Pyramid Upper Body/Pyramid Lower Body DVD. It is part of her 'Intensity' series. As indicated in the title, it is a 'pyramid' workout, which means you start with lighter weight for 12 reps, up the weight and do 10 reps, up again and do 8 reps and then go back down the latter (10 and 12 reps using progressively lighter weights). It is an endurance workout without a doubt. The upper body workout (without the abs section) clocks in (with warm up) at slightly less than 50 minutes. There is a premix option on the DVD to do either just pyramid up (12, 10, 8 reps) or pyramid down (8, 10, 12 reps) if you want a shorter workout. The abs section is KILLER if you opt to do it (especially the stability ball work). The Lower Body workout isn't my favorite leg workout, but it is very effective (especially the floor section) so it is worth owning.

Back to the upper body. Why I recommend this particular DVD is that all of the moves are straight forward. The chest work consists of bench presses and flies (the only unusual thing she does is her flies with your palms facing you which I don't like....I just do them standard). The back work is lying pullovers followed by bent over rows. The shoulder work is bent over raises, lateral raises and front raises. The tricep work is overhead extensions (I do them as lying extensions for better range of motion....something you could do as well if your shoulder is bothering you) followed by kickbacks. The bicep work (which is also KILLER) are bicep curls and hammer curls. So.....straight forward. All exercises are performed as supersets or tri-sets (as I've indicated). And, boy, you can get a burn from this workout if you want. I use weights from 3lbs (shoulders/12 reps) up to 20lbs (bench press/8 reps) to give you an idea of weight needed. It only requires dumbbells.

Okay, and the real kicker, is Cathe is having a sale on this DVD this week. As you know, her workouts are really expensive. But if you are interested in this DVD, I can send you a code to put in when you check-out for $10 off. That makes it still expensive, but with the options (upper and lower body, premixes of both workouts and premixes combining the workouts if you want a total body workout), I think you could do worse, especially given your shoulder concerns.

And, no, I don't make anything by pushing Cathe on to people! :laugh: If you want more info, let me know!

gbryant, I'm glad you are getting more tests done on your heart, but your numbers look great! No doubt your doctor was pleased. My heart rate monitor is from Polar and I found it at ****'s Sporting Goods. You can find them in any sports store, and I think even Walmart and Target carry some (if I'm not mistaken). You will have options ranging from very cheap (not really recommended) to very expensive (not really recommended by me either!) I think the best choice you can make is one that will suit you, like whether you want one that estimates your calorie burn as well as monitoring your heart rate. If you don't need that, you will get a monitor for less. But it is a nice tool that really provides some incentive for working out! Like I said, I have one from Polar (F4 I believe) but know that Reebok makes a good one as do many other companies. Hope that helps! Ask if you have more questions.

Okay, I've certainly been chatty today! I better sign off for now. Enjoy the evening everybody!
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    I must be in a time warp or something! I can't believe that I haven't posted since Monday! Sorry about that! Night shift must really be rattling my brain...

I went to my Dr. on Tuesday for a one-year checkup after my concussion. Yes folks, It's been nearly a year since the big episode. I wanted to go to the woman who originally treated me. She since left the local practice, but I was able to track her down in a nearby town. She was surprised and happy to see me, as was I her. We discussed how I've been doing and that my symptoms have not yet gone away. She feels that the symptoms will probably fade over time, but maybe not ever go away completely. My BP is perfect (I am still on a low dose med), so she wants me to stay on it for a while longer. She may consider lowering the dosage even more to see if that has any effect. She also wants me to get a follow-up exam with my Neurologist so he can evaluate my progress (or lack therof).

I promise to catch up on your posts, but I might not be able to comment on all of them. I'm pretty busy here at work in my new position, and I am still trying to adjust to the new sllep schedule. Still going to the gym daily and watching my diet as much as possible. My wife brought some home made Easter candy home from the Church (my favorite, coconut cream eggs)...must have....

Have a great day!
  • alf1163
    Options
    Sing, great to hear from you!!! Wow, I cant believe it's been a year since your concussion. Glad to hear you feel better. Mmm, anything with coconut, yummy!!! :wink:

Stiring, thank you for the recommendations. Please send me the code if you can, I would like to use it if I decide to purchase it.

Gbryant, congrats on your blood work results!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinker: Wow!!!! Keep up the good work. I have the Polar F4, havent been using it lately, just the watch, but I need to monitor the calories burned doing Zumba so I can eat accordingly. As Stiring said you can find it in any sports stores. I got mine at the military store and paid a little under $70. Some models are cheaper than others. Polar brand is one of the ones highly recommended.

Logged in my foods for the past 2 days and it looks like I am undereating. I have it set up to 1600 which might be too low for maintenance, well, that was when I wanted to lose some more. And both days I was under by 200 or so. That is not counting the calories burned from doing Zumba, last time I monitored was between 350-450 depending on the intensity. I'd better work on that next week and re-adjust my calories on the site.

Have a wonderful day!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    singfree, good to see you! No doubt you are still adjusting to this night shift work. I think it would take me forever to fully adjust. Glad you were able to find your doctor and talk to her about your continuing symptoms from the concussion. I hope the neurologist will also be able to give you some answers. I really hope these symptoms go away eventually. Sounds like you're doing great with the workouts!!

alf, you are definitely undereating if you are only getting in about 1400 calories a day....especially since you are so light anyhow! I'd definitely up those a couple hundred (at a minimum!) I'll send you that DVD coupon code a little later this morning.

All here is well. Already got my Insanity workout in this morning. Today is Yoga day, so I'll be doing that later. Hope you all enjoy the day.
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I am so behind on reading! Hope everyone is doing well. I had a birthday yesterday...yay me....42! So was trying to stay off the computer yesterday as much as possible. I had a role reversal day w/my husband. He took off from work and did the child school shuttling back and forth, and we had a nice day together. Instead of computer time I was able to get moving on my book--something I never get to do during the day. So nice!

Anyway, just read the latest post and wanted to comment. Alf, I have been maintaining at around 1450-1500 net calories and then I add in exercise (from between 400-500/day and try to eat all of them back). I am trying to work my way up to over 1500 but it hasn't been easy--I'm worried about gaining but hoping if I take it turtle-pace slow eventually I'll get there! I think I remember we are around the same size? I'm 5"6', and maintainance range from 121-125.

gbryant--I have the Polar FT60 and bought it from Amazon--they have an amazing assortment and you can read a ton of comparisons and customer reviews on each one--I find customer reviews really helpful when deciding what to buy.

Will catch up on all the posts later today and hopefully check in more tomorrow. have a great day!!
  • alf1163
    Options
    Robin and Stiring, thank you for the suggestions. I have been feeling really hungry lately so my body is feeling the need for more calories. As tedious and time consuming logging in my calories is I'd better start doing it now until I find a happy medium. I also need to wear my chest strap and monitor my exercise calories. Yes, I am 5'5 and last time I weighed in 126lbs, want to be between 120-125. I know that is a number on a scale but at that weight is where I feel most comfortable.

My husband is being affected by the furlough starting this Monday. He has to stay home until further notice. I really hope they cancel it. We have savings and his retirement pay wont be affected, thank God. So I'd better not spend money unnecessarily now until this situation settles down. :grumble: :noway:
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Happy TGIF to all! I'm looking forward to tonight. We are going to a performance by Ronan Tynan, one of the original "Irish Tenors". I consider him to be an exceptional talent (classically trained as am I). He is also a Physician who had both legs amputated. I think it will be an inspirational evening.

As for me, I am doing well with diet and exercise. Considering that I am tired most of the time, I am happy to get a workout in every day. I have about 3 more weeks to reach my fitness goal. I really think that i can get there, as long as I don't backslide.

I didn't go to the gym today, but I did a long hike up on the mountain. Believe me, hiking up a 1000+ foot mountain is a real workout. The views were great, although I am hoping that the trees will soon get their leaves. I love it when everything is green!

Speaking of green...I am helping outdoors at the Evergreen German Club on Saturday, getting the grounds ready for the summer "Biergarten" season. I can't wait for that to start!

Have a great weekend!!!
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    Happy Friday!

Robin, Happy Belated Birthday!!! I'm glad you were able to spend the day with your husband AND have a day off from your normal routine. How fun!

alf, I think you'll probably have your calorie situation figured out within a week or two of logging. I know it is tedious, but I find it helpful to do it for about two weeks every few months just to see where I'm at. It really keeps me in line in so many ways.

singfree, sounds like you've got a great weekend planned! I hope you enjoy the performance tonight. Can't believe the 'Biergarten' is opening soon....but it is that time of year, isn't it? Things here are definitely beginning to turn green right now. Every day looks a little more like spring.

All here is well. I let myself eat pretty much everything I wanted this week (and, no, it hasn't all been good for me), but it has really helped my body a bit. I think I was undereating and getting a kind of bloated effect as a result. I'm going to go back to cleaner eating now, but keep the calories up. I'd like to lose about 3-5 pounds (just an estimate since I don't weigh myself) but I'm happy with where I'm at right now. My exercise is great. I'm finishing up my second week of the second round of P90X AND my second week of a new Insanity rotation (I'm undecided as to whether I'll actually try to get through another Insanity rotation right now, though). I'm definitely seeing the changes in my body, without a doubt. P90X does some great things for my body....my arms are getting stronger and more defined and my core strength is really improving. Those are the same things I noticed last time I did P90X and are the things that will have me keeping this program around for a long time. Don't think I'll ever be able to do it more than once every 18 months or so because of the repetition, but, boy, when I do get around to doing it, I really enjoy the results.

Hope you all enjoy a great weekend!
  • alf1163
    Options
    Good morning and happy Friday!!!!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Robin, glad to hear you had a nice relaxing birthday!!! I wish you many more!!! Do you eat no more than 1500 calories including your exercise calories? Or minimum 1400-1500 plus exercise calories?

Stiring, I just cannot imagine you eating "badly". How bad are you talking about? :laugh: I miss doing P90X. :sad:

Well, this week for me has been fantastic as far as eating and exercise is concerned. No weigh in, I will only weigh in once a month so next time it will be first Fri in May. I think that will be right before we go on vacation to Orlando. :noway: We will see how that goes but I know we will be walking a lot at all the parks. :wink: This morning I did Yoga Meltdown by Jillian Michaels. It is only about 30 mins but boy I was sweating. I really enjoyed it. It has 2 levels, I only did level 1. I've had this video for months now and this is the first time I use it. :noway: I am going to try to do it at least once a week. Busy, fun, day ahead for me. My granddaughter is here, she is still sleeping, and I am taking her to the zoo and the park. I already have my tennis shoes on. :laugh: I am packing some healthy eats. :laugh:

Have a wonderful day and a fantastic weekend!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • LadyPersia
    LadyPersia Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Good morning,,,, Missed Friday check in....

Update Friday both my father and my husbands Grammy past today. Two more beautiful angels have thier wings.
    I weighed in today at 142. The next few weeks I will be traveling alot.

Funerals are so expensive, I dont know how people can do it on the spot. I am so not prepared for my own death....LOL

Have a awesome week. Stay on track and dont forget to live. My father lived....he traveled.....talked to everyone no matter who they were.....and did his best to be better, always better.

Have a blessed week!