10 Week's To June

Options

Replies

• kristarablue
    Options
    Cassie...girl 7 miles you are a frikkin superstar....Rock on girl..Great job!!!

Steve you just keep givin me more to think about don't you. Your killin me dude...LOL

So my story for today: I was on the elliptical doing some speed intervals and I reached my all-time fastest...14.4 mph....that's right, you can say it...I'm a bad *kitten*, I know...it's all good. Oh and I totally had confidence going into the free weight area...because you know......bad *kitten*.....LOL

I did well, my protein was 168, I was happy with that. Still working to get my carbs lower, I think I am going to have to give up my pink grapefruit and balance bar lunch..they are killing me with the 53 grams of carbs. I am going to have to ruminate over that one.
  • kristarablue
    Options
    Hey guys and gals, just a quick note before heading to sleep. No workout for me today I had a long 1st day of my trip like most of them are. Spent my evening in the hotel researching and reading all kinds of good stuff, Muscle and Fitness, Knightfit.com, robbwolf.com, and even a little Mitch Rapp. You guys/gals are doing awesome. Keep up the good work, and we wil all reach our goals. This is a great forum, probably the most rewarding Ive been involved in! Everyone seems to be serious and really wants to be here. No one-upping, just accountability and encouragement. Not to mention lively debate! Good night all eat clean, push hard, and rest well.

I agree, I am working out more and more focused on my food because of the accountability, encouragement and knowledge I am gaining through this forum. For sure best one I have done.... Bye the by...way to turn an off workout day into a day in which you are acquiring knowledge and developing your mind....WTG
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Hey guys and gals, just a quick note before heading to sleep. No workout for me today I had a long 1st day of my trip like most of them are. Spent my evening in the hotel researching and reading all kinds of good stuff, Muscle and Fitness, Knightfit.com, robbwolf.com, and even a little Mitch Rapp. You guys/gals are doing awesome. Keep up the good work, and we wil all reach our goals. This is a great forum, probably the most rewarding Ive been involved in! Everyone seems to be serious and really wants to be here. No one-upping, just accountability and encouragement. Not to mention lively debate! Good night all eat clean, push hard, and rest well.

Love!
  • GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Day 16

Burned 305 calories doing P90X ARX and a little Bodyrock!!!

macros for today
    38%carbs (150 grams)
    38%fat (67 grams)
    27%protein (108grams)

Calorie intake was 1600 of 1755 calories!!!!

9 glasses of water today!!!
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Unf I am stalled on my weight loss. I did like 600+ cals of 2 workouts today, and I'm still stalling at 217/218/219/220. I can't get below that 217. Sigh. It's been a few weeks too.
  • gailosborne
    gailosborne Posts: 435
    Options
    Unf I am stalled on my weight loss. I did like 600+ cals of 2 workouts today, and I'm still stalling at 217/218/219/220. I can't get below that 217. Sigh. It's been a few weeks too.

Hi, I feel for you!!:flowerforyou:

I lost 100lbs and had a few weeks where the scale didn't move and it was disconcerting and deflating when I was working so hard as you are!! I know you've said you are doing some abs work but I don't know what your cardio is; you could try some intervals - pushing yourself as hard as you can go for a minute then giving yourself a minute (or two) at a lower level to let your heart rate recover (it will recover less the more intervals you do in a workout) this burns fat and the calorific after burn is higher afterwards! It also takes less time!! You could do step ups or skipping and then a fastish walk around the lounge while you recover!
    Sometimes I'll do intervals on the bike for 20 mins (start with about 5 hard minutes though) then wait about 5 mins and start my long ride or likewise when I run.
    I'm not sure of the science but basically you will burn more calories in the steady state cardo after some intervals. Weight training will burn fat too in a sustainable way!!

I'm not anti steady state cardio, I love a good long run- it makes the world a better place for me!!

I don't know what else to suggest, except really check you food measurements because its easy for more cals to creep in!

Hope all goes well, hang in there and don't give up because you are doing great and I need some foodie friends on here to inspire me with delicious healthy meals!!
  • gailosborne
    Options
    Day 16

Burned 305 calories doing P90X ARX and a little Bodyrock!!!

macros for today
    38%carbs (150 grams)
    38%fat (67 grams)
    27%protein (108grams)

Calorie intake was 1600 of 1755 calories!!!!

9 glasses of water today!!!

GiGi you are so so consistant!!! Wow everyday!!
  • gailosborne
    Options
    Cassie...girl 7 miles you are a frikkin superstar....Rock on girl..Great job!!!

Steve you just keep givin me more to think about don't you. Your killin me dude...LOL

So my story for today: I was on the elliptical doing some speed intervals and I reached my all-time fastest...14.4 mph....that's right, you can say it...I'm a bad *kitten*, I know...it's all good. Oh and I totally had confidence going into the free weight area...because you know......bad *kitten*.....LOL

I did well, my protein was 168, I was happy with that. Still working to get my carbs lower, I think I am going to have to give up my pink grapefruit and balance bar lunch..they are killing me with the 53 grams of carbs. I am going to have to ruminate over that one.

Wow - you are becoming the protien princess!!! Impressive speed on the elliptical - watch it doesn't take off with you though!! You are totally a bad *kitten* lol!!
  • gailosborne
    Options
    Checking in for Tuesday, it's almost midnight here - what an amazing night! I am so proud of myself for resisting so much temptation. And I really loved all the conversation tonight. This is what I want my future to look like, focused on conversation and relationships and NOT food.

I ate really clean. I ran 7+ miles.

I realized one of the reasons I am losing this weight is because I deserve it. Today, I really feel like I deserve it. Today, it's about treating myself really well. Today feels amazing. I hope everyone out there is having an awesome day!

Wow Cassie that's amazing! 7 miles is fantastic but what an amazing attitude too! I'm glad you are so happy!!
  • gailosborne
    Options
    I don't want to take up anymore space lol so well done to everyone! Thanks Steve for the info - will read it properly tonight after work!
  • tattoodfreek
    tattoodfreek Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Steve or any other low carbers how low a % is technically low carb? I lost the bulk of my weight through eating fish, chicken, Turkey, a littke red meat, berries, vegetables and salad but low fat - really clean eating too! Since then I've reintroduced more carbs and now seem to be about 40/40% carbs/protien - it varies from day to day but I seem to be managing training well dependent on when I eat the carbs.

Well, I'd like to say that I feel I like this group - its nice to feel you are getting to know where people are up to and I like the fact people can disagree in a nice way AND that the advice is good and based on study rather than some of the strange things you read on here! Thought I'd say that!!

I TOTALLY agree with you here! I actually meant to say this yesterday - I love discussing something that is as polarizing as nutritional views without egos getting crazy!!! 2 years ago, what I thought was healthy, I currently think is quite bad for you - I would have debated current self all day long!

This whole process is one of evolution and education - and I LOVE LOVE that we're all on that same page - and it really shows!

As for carbs go - my baseline is 30g of carbs to maintain ketosis during the week, but that's "net" carbs (carbs - fiber). But the basic rule is:

1. Eat all the veggies you can jam in your mouth all day.
    2. Eat limited fruit.
    3. No rice, corn, grain.

Even with eating enormous salads (seriously - ENORMOUS!) I rarely hit my 30g a day. Why no grains? Here's a really clear article that I found on the topic.

Why We Don’t Eat Grains (www.whole9life.com)

A. Grains provoke an inflammatory response in the gut

Lectins are specialized proteins found in many plants and foods, but are found in high concentration in grains (particularly wheat), legumes (particularly soy), and dairy. The most commonly referenced grain lectin is called “gluten”, but there are many others which are found even in pseudo-grains like quinoa. Lectins serve many biological functions in animals, but foods with high concentrations of lectins are harmful even if consumed in moderate amounts.

Lectins are hardy proteins that do not break down easily, and are resistant to stomach acid and digestive enzymes. They migrate through your digestive tract largely intact, and disrupt the intestinal membrane, damaging cells and initiating a cascade of events leading to eventual cell death. (Translation: lectins destroy the cells that line your intestines, leading to small “microperforations” or tiny holes in your intestinal lining.) These holes allow intact or nearly intact proteins, bacteria and other foreign substances to cross into the bloodstream – where they do not belong. As the immune system notices foreign substances in the body, it responds and attacks. The immune response can manifest in an unlimited number of conditions (not just in the digestive tract!) commonly referred to as “auto-immune” in nature.

It’s important to note that these cautions are not just critical for those with a diagnosed Celiac condition. These negative downstream effects happen to everyone who eats grains, to various degrees.

B. Grains spike insulin levels

Grains pack a whopping amount of carbohydrates in a very small package. As most grains are also heavily processed (yes, even whole grains) they are broken down into blood sugar (glucose) in your body very quickly. A high amount of ingested carbohydrate broken down very fast leads to a spike in blood sugar. The body, demanding homeostasis, then releases a massive dose of a hormone called insulin to pull blood sugar levels back down. This is often referred to as an “insulin spike”.

When too much blood sugar is present in the system, your body quickly runs out of places to store it as useful energy, and will store any excess as body fat. In addition, when too much insulin is present in the system, the cells in your body become desensitized to the hormonal “message” insulin is trying to send. Since the message isn’t getting through, your pancreas is prompted to release even more insulin when your body doesn’t need it. Finally, chronically high insulin levels lead to a condition in which your body has trouble releasing the energy already stored in your cells. This is a bad place to be. If (via a diet high in carbohydrates) this pattern continues, insulin levels continue to rise, fat stores continue to grow and the body becomes completely incapable of responding to its own directions.

C. Grains have an acidifying effect on the body

A net acid-producing diet promotes bone de-mineralization (i.e. osteopenia and osteoporosis), and systemic inflammation. Grains are one of the highest acid-producing food groups. By replacing grains and grain-containing processed foods with plenty of green vegetables and fruits, the body comes back into acid/base balance (and a more positive calcium balance). Recent research out of Tufts University has also shown that a more alkaline diet preserves muscle mass. We like muscle mass.

D. Grains are “empty calories”

All grains – things like oatmeal, pasta, breads and cereals – have two things in common. They are calorically dense, and nutritionally meager. A small portion of grains packs a whopping amount of calories, almost all in the form of carbohydrates. All those calories, however, contain a miserly amount of vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients (also called phytochemicals). Compare the calories, carbohydrates and vitamin profile of two large slices of whole grain bread (100 grams) to one cup of chopped, cooked broccoli (184 grams – nearly twice the mass). (Nutritional stats from NutritionData.com)

Note that we’re not saying there is nothing good to be found in grains. They do contain vitamins and minerals in various proportions and amounts. But the serious down sides of grains far outweigh any potential health benefits. Bottom line – there is NOTHING found in grains that you can’t get from a better source with NO down sides (like vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds).
    Thanks, Steve, for posting this. It definitely gives me something to think about. I do notice when I eat grains that I get that bloated, heavy feeling in my stomach. But that part about it being so many calories packed into so little food, that really struck a chord.
  • tattoodfreek
    tattoodfreek Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Jane, I agree with Gail, intervals are totally the way to go! Ever since I added HIIT into my workout routines, I have seen huge changes!

Gigi- wonderful job as always! You really are just consistently on it! That's why you rock :)

And Jay- ITA. It is great to have such a motivating dedicated group. I love it!

Yesterday was a great day for me calorie wise. I went over to my mom's for lunch, and she only had ham and cheese, ham salad, or chicken salad to offer. I don't like how I phrased that, because it makes it sound like those things aren't "good enough." But I mean from a clean eating standpoint. I went with the ham and cheese sandwich, even though it was processed meat and loaded with sodium. The other salads were loaded with mayonnaise so heavily they were just white pools of mayo with meat chunks floating here and there. I tried to skimp on the ham to keep the sodium down, and I just ended up being way too low on my protein for the day.

I've also been working on cutting off my eating by 6 PM, 6:30 at the latest. I normally do really well all day, and then evenings are what get me! So, if I know I am DONE, there's no cheating! Such a simple concept, but it has been working really well for me the last couple of days. The downside is that I enjoy my evening snacks so much, and I don't have that to look forward to. But, it's helping me to focus on other, more important things. And as soon as I order my text books, I can use that time to study :). Have to wait until tomorrow for payday to get those.
  • ski3r4life
    ski3r4life Posts: 206
    Options
    Everyone is doing so awesome! I am so proud of you guys! This is just a quick check-in... I will be on here this weekend to give you all some real support!! Tomorrow is my last day of work in France and Friday I am going to Greece so I might not have internet access for a couple days.

Today I exercised, ate well, and resisted temptation. You guys are such an inspiration. Your hardwork and determination really show! Thank you! :) You guys never make excuses and keep on going at it. I will get there too, I just have to work for it. No excuses.
  • stevemcknight
    Options

I checked your diary and would suggest 2 things. Start tracking carbs and sugar - keep those numbers very very low and you will blast past this plateau. You don't have to never eat carbs again, but it will work, it always does - every time.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Hey all.

I am in between classes so I have time to chat with you all now........... I took my certification exam yesteray for the CompTIA Security + exam and I passed it, so I am now Certifiied Computer and Network Security Professional.

I have been eating well - except yesterday I let my carbs get a little higher than I wanted, but it was all clean and organic so I am not fretting it.

I am shedding fat I know. My husband told me last night that my butt was getting smaller when we were laying in bed so this morning I tried on a pair of shorts that I purchased 2 summers ago and they fit, YAY me!!!

So far today I am at 1 grams of carbs and doing an 14 hour IF, I last ate at 4am, so I am past the 12 hour mark now with no hunger!!!

Going out after supper to take my dogs for a walk and then will log the exercise later..........
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone about me being stalled! Will take that into consideration about the carb thing!

@Tattoo & @Gail - oh trust that I am doing HIIT....yes major big time. I'm doing EA Sports Active 2 on the xbox360 - that is all HIIT, I do it 4x a week, the abs are something I started doing on Saturday, unfortunately I did it 2x thought I was "totally fine" then got a HUGE case of DOMS from the ab work. So I am possibly thinking about doing abs just 1x today since it's been a few days...I do not want to get another horrible case of DOMS again....
  • jaybaileys
    jaybaileys Posts: 317
    Options
    Hey everyone I just finished Yoga MC2 in my hotel room. The gym here has a bike, a treadmill, and an elliptical machine woopee!
    So no arms routine today. Keep up the solid work everyone. It seems everyone is making progress. What else can you ask for?
  • stevemcknight
    Options
    I miss getting super sore! I <3 my DOMS! (not even kidding a tiny bit)

I finished my leg workout today. I changed it up just a bit - I couldn't handle 3 more weeks of barbell squats - it's been 6 straight weeks of it. So here it was:

6 sets Kettlebell Swings (40lbs dumbbell until I get a KB)
    3 sets Leg Extensions
    3 sets Hamstring Curls
    3 sets Goblet Squats (60lbs dumbbell)
    3 sets Standing Calf Raises

3 sets Reverse Crunches (to failure) (30, 30, 30)
    3 sets Seated Crunches (to failure) (30, 35, 40)
    6 sets Insanity C-Sit Single Leg Lift and Pull (to failure) (40, 40, double-20, 40, 40, double-20)

I've never done abs like this before. First - I never do crunches any more because it's hard to get to failure, but after leg day, it was a lot easier due to the fatigue in my thighs and hip flexors. Second, I've never done consecutive sets of the same ab move with limited rest - it gets you to failure considerably faster than rotating through different moves.

After each lifting workout for this 3 week phase, I'll do 3 different ab/core moves to absolute failure and see where I'm at after that. Monday is mostly stability moves (plank, exercise band pulls) Wednesday is this, Friday is weighted moves (cable crunch, dumbbell crunch, weighted plank)

Nutrition is spot on today - almost perfect numbers again - I'm happy I'm finally getting up to my 30g of carbs, it had been low all last week.
  • GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Everyone is doing so awesome! I am so proud of you guys! This is just a quick check-in... I will be on here this weekend to give you all some real support!! Tomorrow is my last day of work in France and Friday I am going to Greece so I might not have internet access for a couple days.

Today I exercised, ate well, and resisted temptation. You guys are such an inspiration. Your hardwork and determination really show! Thank you! :) You guys never make excuses and keep on going at it. I will get there too, I just have to work for it. No excuses.

Why are you going to Greece??? Just wondering because im Greek and have family there that i would like to visit again next summer.... its been a few years since ive been and im sooooo ready to go back!!!
  • jaybaileys
    jaybaileys Posts: 317
    Options
    GIGI,

You a milaka? Just kidding. My roomate in college was Greek. He taught me some Greek insults.

Steve is catching the kettlebell fever I love it! Ill turn all of you onto them before you know it!!!!!!