Marijuana and weight loss?

Options

Replies

• elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    forget weed if you want to lose weight smoke crack.

I was going to say something along that line, but didn't think it was appropriate :tongue: glad someone said it! Not that I condone using illegal drugs for weight loss, but coke, meth, heroin or prescription pain killers will help you lose weight more than weed will.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    i don't know the science behind it, but the munchies is enough!!!

marijuana and weight loss are two words that don't belong in the same sentence!

Bump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    with all of the added things they put in street level weed, folks are just DUMB to smoke it, IMO.... as far as it being better than alcohol.... I doubt it...unless you have medical grade or are growing your own, you have no idea what your buds are laced with. But hey, I suppose its cool to be a addict again.....

Who said anything about anyone being an addict, to ANYTHING? Please, read before you post and keep your rude, judgmental opinions out of this thread.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Anyone I know that has smoked it long term is slim!! I think it only gives you the munchies if you smoke it recreationally (like I have) not if you're a hardened pot head! :bigsmile: Just like alcholics, they are mostly slim too!! Its more important to get buzzin than it is to eat!!

But I certainly wouldnt start a habit just to lose weight! :noway: That's kinda crazy thinking! :glasses: Not that anyone suggested that they were going to start a habit, but I think being slim is conjuscive with the addiction rather than the odd glass of wine/joint.

And yes, I certainly do beleive that long term, regular use of pot is addictive!! I have many living examples.........but that's an argument for another forum.

No drug makes you fat tho, that's purely down to eating too much!! :bigsmile:
  • Jennwith2ns
    Jennwith2ns Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    It doesn't give EVERYBODY munchies, that really depends on the individual.
  • zainyk
    zainyk Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I smoked pretty much every day for years until a few months ago. I blame it for my ballooning weight, mainly because of the munchies, easy to put away 2-3000 calories a night when smoking weed.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Marijuana is used as an appetite stimulant in the medical community so I would think it would be counterproductive. When I practiced in a heart failure practice, we used and oral form (Marinol) for people whose heart failure had progressed to a point it affected their appetite. It helped them gain weight.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Okay... well this was a thread that I posted in January (3 months ago!) and it was brought back up. I think I found the answers I was looking for (and it seems a lot of people aren't reading it anyway, since they're not answering my actual questions!). Perhaps we can let this thread die now, pretty please :smile:
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options
    with all of the added things they put in street level weed, folks are just DUMB to smoke it, IMO.... as far as it being better than alcohol.... I doubt it...unless you have medical grade or are growing your own, you have no idea what your buds are laced with. But hey, I suppose its cool to be a addict again.....

Who said anything about anyone being an addict, to ANYTHING? Please, read before you post and keep your rude, judgmental opinions out of this thread.

Most ADDICTS dont admit to being one UNTIL in front of the JUDGE
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I'm glad that this thread can exist so as to disseminate furthered ignorance.

Sigh.
  • Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    Options
    I lost 60 pounds in about 7 months during my senior year of college. During that time I gave up alcohol, and already a daily toker at the time, just smoked more at parties to "make up" for not drinking. I remember playing P & A and while everyone way taking shots for penalties, I was taking hits. I overcame the munchies with gum and water, and the occasional blow-pop.

So, I think (echoing the voices of many on this thread), if you can keep the munchies under control, the kind stuff will be kind to your weightloss efforts :)
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
  • randisaucier
    randisaucier Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    ***The more I am on MFP the more I am turned off of it*** I thought I had seen it all on this site in the past few weeks but now even illegal drugs are promoted as weight loss aids.......sigh.....
  • kgool
    kgool Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    When I partook of smoking in the past it never made me gain weight, it did however, make at least 20 Reeses Peanut Butter cups a night and that in turn made me gain weight.
  • AmyPfl
    AmyPfl Posts: 9
    Options
    I have to agree, the munchies would make you take down a lot more calories / fat / and carbs than you need. Unless you immediately go to sleep afterwards to keep yourself from eating.
  • KalebTcochran
    Options
    From personal experience pot wont have any negative effect on weight loss. Last august i weighed 240 lbs and smoking pot almost every day i now weigh 192. Not to say that pot helped me lose the weight but it didn't hurt either.
  • nlopane
    nlopane Posts: 1
    Options
    first to all of you who are quoting studies ANY studies not just on this please remember that most of the results are biased towards the results they want for example the studies that sugest that cannabis can cause fertility issues but the truth is i personally know at least 3 men for witch pot smoking acctually increased sperm count (including my fieance lol). and as far as the 400 chemicals that are contained in cannabis most of them are not at all harmfull to the human body as opposed to ciggarets that are laced with over 200 chemicals that are spacifically poisons but it is a choice each of us has to make that choice for ourselves like any chemical this has different effects on different people but the munchies is quite common but the truth is looking back at my life (and i have smoked for YEARS) the times in my life when i smoked regularly i weighed significantly less, but i dont know why. but honestly this plant does offer great advantages to weight loss just not in the way we all would hope for any of you on a high protein diet hemp seed is the second highest protein content in plants and offers a good amount of fiber as well. it has a health balance of 20 amino acids as well including 8 essential and 2 semi-essential to the human body that our bodys cannot produce on their own. i did a significant amount of research on this because i have problems with whey proteen and soy and since starting it i feel great. now if i could just get the exercize in i would be great i am trying really hard but my little one doesnt want to give me the time and his nap is while i am in school lol good luck to all of you i hope this helps someone
  • NikkiTaber
    NikkiTaber Posts: 190
    Options
    The affect of smoking pot on your weight loss is really up to you imo. I've known plenty of stoners who lost a ton of weight. If you can fight the munchie craving or only have a handful of like baby carrots or snap peas, you should be fine.
  • Natalie_Bee
    Options
    when I used to partake, I never got the munchies, so I lost a lot of weight. I went from 145 to 119 I believe. But I was young and stupid back then.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    i had to quit smoking pot to loose weight ha ha.
    one of the main reasons i put on so many pounds was because of smoking and getting the munchies. lol!
This discussion has been closed.