Options
    bump
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Pretty durned good post.
  • Yummymummy135
    Options
    Thanks for that Banks, so if I eat 1600 calories a day and do exercise I should loose it? or eat the calories burned on top of the 1600? I'm no directly nursing anymore, just pumping 4 times a day, 18/20oz
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that Banks, so if I eat 1600 calories a day and do exercise I should loose it? or eat the calories burned on top of the 1600? I'm no directly nursing anymore, just pumping 4 times a day, 18/20oz

You're body's still producing milk, as far as it's concerned, you're still nursing. As to the calorie range, I'll simply say this: theoretically, based on limited info. yes, that's what you should probably be trying to hit (1600 plus exercise). Now, that said, everyone is different, you may need to tweak. Plus, we're only guessing at your maintenance based on generic formulas, you could be a few dozen to over a 100 cals different than the formula and I wouldn't be shocked at all, so take your time raising your calories, do maybe 100 a week, hold a week, then do another 100, check your self after every change, see how you feel, what your energy levels are like, and whether you still are losing weight. And remember, at this stage the losses will be small, and there may be a few gains here and there. Don't worry about that to much, try to focus on the larger picture.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Oh will you help me please!!? I'm, female, 5'6, and weigh153 pounds currently. I have not lost any weight this week and I'm doing everything right, well I thought I was. My BMI is 24.7 and my BMR seems to be 1780, although its different on every site I try. I am sedentary to lightly active.. depends on the day, work out for 20 mins a day and burn 185 calories with that and also pump milk 4 times a day for which I allow 120 calories burned. MFP recommends the usual 1200 and then add the exercise its 1505 calories to consume. I am eating all my calories but still the weight is not shifting.. I would appreciate your advice and help!!

Banks will probably have some better insight than I, but I think he's gone for the day now, so I thought I'd throw my thoughts in. First, any time you're breastfeeding (even for an older baby) you need to be very careful with deficits. That, and the fact that you are already within a healthy BMI and don't have much to lose, mean you want to have a very conservative deficit. A 1/2 lb/week loss goal would probably be best, IMO (which would put you at about 1500 before exercise/milk production).

Also, you may need to play with the activity level. Most moms of little ones are probably at least lightly active. Depending on how much milk you're pumping, you could be underestimating that - so if it was me, I'd try it out at lightly active first; in part to make sure milk doesn't suffer, and in part to maintain a conservative deficit.

Lastly, with being fairly close to goal, you definitely want to be doing some strength training in addition to cardio to maintain muscle mass.

Edit: Oh, and FYI, the 1780 would be your maintenance cals (BMR + activity level), not just your BMR. Your BMR is about 1425.

actually, considering her age, weight, height, and activity level, that does sound like her BMR, and her maintenance seems somewhere around 1950 or so (probably slightly higher considering she is nursing, and nursing mothers burn more calories, although if she's accounting for that separately...) I'd say probably stick somewhere in the 1600 to 1700 range plus exercise. Other than that, right on ladyhawk. I agree that 1200 is far to low for your situation. This is obviously predicated on the fact that we know nothing other than the basic facts you provided, and thus any advice given is very very generic.

I had looked it up with what she posted + age and it gave 1421 as BMR, I believe. I added *1.3 and got 1747 for maintenance. Now I'm confuzzled. :laugh: At any rate, that range is probably good regardless. I'm definitely someone who believes more is better when nursing.
  • gcineas
    gcineas Posts: 121
    Options
    bump
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

I had looked it up with what she posted + age and it gave 1421 as BMR, I believe. I added *1.3 and got 1747 for maintenance. Now I'm confuzzled. :laugh: At any rate, that range is probably good regardless. I'm definitely someone who believes more is better when nursing.

I got about 1960 for maintenance. I actually didn't look up BMR, I just saw that it was a few hundred lower than maintenance and assumed the numbers were close. Now, I used lightly active, so I guess if you put it at sedentary (I seriously doubt she's sedentary thought) that puts her at like 1750 or so (actually somewhere around 1740s by my calculations) so it could just be us using different givens. Either way, I don't think 1200 is even close to enough for her.
  • swillis21
    swillis21 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    bump* TY for the wonderful free program! and this was very helpful
  • RockVixen
    RockVixen Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thanks!
  • ReneeOfTheFae
    Options
    Yea! Now it makes sense!!! Thank you!
  • ladyhawk00