A comment about your weight that still bothers you...

Options
I have been thinking about my goals as I make this journey and I have decided that one is going to be based on a comment that was made to me over 20 years ago. When I was a teenager, I had just started to gain weight and my step-mother (enough said) told me that I couldn't wear my hair short because it made my head look too small in proportion to my body. I really liked myself with short hair, but I have never forgotten that. It has always come to my mind when I think about cutting my hair. Its amazing to me to think that I have been so impacted by that one remark. So I think when I reach my goal weight I am going to get a cute short sassy haircut!

Replies

• deb968
    deb968 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Why wait! Do it now!
  • daniellejg
    Options
    Good for you! Work it!
  • rosey808
    rosey808 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry she said that to you. it's amazing the comments we take with us. Sadly it's usually the bad ones.
    So a cute sassy short haircut is another motivator for you ;)
  • lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    "You can't be a cheerleader, Linds, I'm almost positive they don't have uniforms in your size, besides, how are you going to get your body to jump all that weight?"

My lovely mother told me this
  • sarahwright01
    sarahwright01 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    A friends mom told me that "If you keep eating like that you will become as big as a house!". I gained a bunch of weight since then, but the picture that threw me into my diet , i looked as big as a house...sooo....i keep that in mind when I can't stop eating!! It makes me choose healthier optins.
  • lfbarrett
    lfbarrett Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    don't let her have that power over you!!! and besides you have changed so much in 20+ years....you're gonna look awesome with some cute sassy haircut....rock it!
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Why wait! Do it now!

ABSOLUTELY; DO IT!!!!

A couple Easters ago, my aunt said, "Ashley, you've put on weight". Thanks, nice of you to notice....she's a paranoid skitzophrenic, so I didn't take it too seriously, but I still remember it and probably always will.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    When I was 12, my mom said she was embarrassed to be seen with me. I look at old pics and I wasn't even that big just chubby. This spiraled me into an eating disorder and I lost 40 pounds....then she was happy to go out with me.

She still comments on my weight.
  • ChantalD75
    ChantalD75 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I have had a comment said to me when I was younger and it stuck with me till this day... worse part came from my dad.... :o(
  • Niceven
    Niceven Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    "You would be so pretty if you were thinner." My mom, god bless her, meant to say that I'm pretty now, but I would be prettier. Unfortunately, even though my rational mind knew what she meant to say, my emotional mind freaked.
  • jennyb31
    jennyb31 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Its funny that you posted this because I will always remember boys calling me bubble butt, of course now I wish I had the bubble, but it has always stuck to me. And someone once told me I looked good from the waist up, the waist down is what needed work.......
  • FunRun08
    FunRun08 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I have had a lot of comment made about my weight, and I wish I could forget them but I can't. However last night I was looking at my arms and realized I have visible tricep muscles. I recalled that my dad used to pinch the back of my arms and call me bingo arms. He meant it as a joke I think but he didn't realize how hurtful it was for me. Bingo arms no more!!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Go for it. If you hate it it'll grow back.
  • krise31
    krise31 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    How about "you would be pretty if you lost 30 lbs" fun stuff :grumble:
  • SharronSmith
    Options
    don't wait do it now!! :o)
  • cdthom
    cdthom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I remember when I was 7 my grandma was sitting beside me and grabbed my leg and said how cute they look like sausages in those tights . Now I was only about 15 pounds over weight when I was little but it has stayed with me to this day everyone in my family is thin or at least normal as far as weight goes i have always been the big one and i am finally going to join them in this one day at a time getting closer to my goals
  • MissGeorgiaPeachy
    MissGeorgiaPeachy Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I agree with the posts above... why wait?! Do it now! :D

My own grandmother once told me, "Nobody will ever love you if you're fat." I'm engaged now and he tells me daily that he doesn't care if I gain 5000 pounds, lose all my hair, get covered in boils or sport a hump, he'll still love me. ^_^

You can do it and you'll be fabulous!
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    The one that has me really trying to refocus was when an ex-boyfriend saw me and he said, " I guess all Stay at Home Mom's are bound to not have the time to be fit and healthy." HA!!! What an A@$!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    It really amazes me that MOMs will say this to their kids. My mom never made those comments (I was never really fat but I was chunky and always had a big belly because I ate nothing but sugar). My dad on the other hand like to pick on my about my belly - and this was during puberty! He was always overweight.

Now he's on dialysis and one of the reasons I am here.
  • mommy3x
    mommy3x Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Do NOT wait! Do it now, consider it one huge step in personal acceptance. Keep working towards your goal, but you are more than your weight! Good luck on your journey!!! :smile: