Is 150lbs still too heavy for a 5'4" person?

Options
I know I'm insanely huge right now (considering my height.. :/), but I set my goal weight to be 150; currently 82 pounds lighter than I am right now. I had originally had set it to 132; 100 pounds lighter, but forgive me for thinking that was a little too unrealistic.
I honestly don't want to pressure myself into thinking 132 is a MUST, then becoming discouraged half way through, which is now why I have mini goals, displayed in my siggy.

Thoughts? Should I keep my goal weight at 150 or would 132 be healthier for my height?

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I think 150 is a great realistic target to aim for! When you get there, then you can have a look at how you feel about your body shape, and what if any further changes you'd make.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    150 is VERY reasonable. 132 is about dead center of the range of healthy weights and might be excessive for some people of this height to maintain, depending on a number of factors.

Also, remember that just 10% of your current weight already represents huge health improvements!!
  • sprinkies
    sprinkies Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    i think 150 is a great goal. i have a friend who's 5'2 and 140 (close to your goal) and i think she looks great. good luck!
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I think 150 is a great realistic target to aim for! When you get there, then you can have a look at how you feel about your body shape, and what if any further changes you'd make.

Good idea. By then, I'll be able to judge whether or not I feel comfortable with that weight. Thanks!

By the way, is your main picture a great dane, by any change? :0
  • Dawntodusk
    Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Are you male or female? For a male, I think it's fine, for a female you might find you'd like to be a bit thinner. I am 5'3" (female) aiming for 128. Good luck to you.
  • Jellyphant
    Options
    150 is VERY reasonable. 132 is about dead center of the range of healthy weights and might be excessive for some people of this height to maintain, depending on a number of factors.

Also, remember that just 10% of your current weight already represents huge health improvements!!

When I checked my BMI, it said at my height, the range was something like 118-145lbs which sounds way too teeny for my tastes. :/
  • modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how good you feel and look. Your weight also depends on how much muscle you have. I am 5'4" and have alot of muscle I weigh 140, which when I was out of shape would have been chubby for me. At 140 before I was a size 12 or 14 now I am a size 6.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    150 sounds healthy to me. I think females your height should probablty be between 120-145 or so, so 150 sounds pretty good. However, what makes up the 150 is more important than the actual weight. If you are more muscular or larger framed then 145-150 should be just fine. If you are a fine framed woman then that may be too heavy.
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6 and my goal is 145. I'm still considered over weight at 154 (my current weight), but I feel good at this weight...and it seems my body likes it here becasue the weight is coming off VERY slowly these days. I think it's how you feel when you are finally there, But I think 150 is fine for 5'4.
  • Jellyphant
    Options
    Are you male or female? For a male, I think it's fine, for a female you might find you'd like to be a bit thinner. I am 5'3" (female) aiming for 128. Good luck to you.

Lol, I'm a chick. I figured I'd be able to tell what body type best suits me when I lose a little bit more weight. I feel like I have a small frame, though to be honest, so you may be right...
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    As long as it's within the healthy range BMI you're good :)
  • Katfrench
    Katfrench Posts: 27
    Options
    I just made it to 150 lbs & decided I need to lose 10 more. Im 5'5 & started @ 168 lbs. It's all up to how you feel. You have set a very realistic goal. See how you feel when you get to 150.
  • Jellyphant
    Options
    I am 5'6 and my goal is 145. I'm still considered over weight at 154 (my current weight), but I feel good at this weight...and it seems my body likes it here becasue the weight is coming off VERY slowly these days. I think it's how you feel when you are finally there, But I think 150 is fine for 5'4.
    Thanks, and I must say, what an awesome job you've already done, 71lbs?! Niceee. :)
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Stay with 150lbs for now. If you want to lose more when you get to that point, then do it! My goal is to get down to 150lbs too and I'm 5'1. I'm "suppose" to weigh between 97lbs-123lbs, but with how I'm built..I would seriously look anorexic. Now when I get to 150lbs and think I should lose more, then I will. I haven't been 150lbs since I had my oldest son almost 7 years ago.
  • mkennedym
    mkennedym Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    i don't get the logic. if you can lose 82 lbs you can lose 100 lbs. 132 isn't even that light for someone 5'4" and female.

but, you should set a lot of small goals and then work your way from there. try to lose 10 lbs first, then 15, then 22, etc. don't have a goal of 82 lbs right off the bat. you need to build up to 82 lbs. start with 10 lbs.

once you get to 150, reevaluate your goal of 132. i guarantee when you are at 150 you will know that 132 is a realistic goal (especially since you've lost 82 lbs already).
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Thanks, and I must say, what an awesome job you've already done, 71lbs?! Niceee. :)

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Lol, my doggy, Max, is a Weimaraner, a German hunting dog ;-)

I'm 5' 2", set 140 as my first target. When I reached that I reset to 135, and now feel I'm happy within the range 133-140, as long as I can still fit into UK size 10-12 clothes (that's US 6-8)
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    DSC02623a.jpg

That... *points up* is 5' 3.75" at 140 lbs. If you have the frame and musculature, 150 lbs is very reasonable at 5'4".
  • semeyer
    semeyer Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4 currently 151lbs, and my ultimate goal weight is 130lb. I typically fit into a size 10 jeans and dress, perhaps that gives you some sort of picture of what that weigh goal looks like! I also have pics on my profile if you want to be friends and take a look!

I agree with what some of the others are saying, once you get down to 150lb maintain that weight for awhile, see how you feel and go from there!! Great goal!! Good luck :drinker:
  • Jellyphant
    Options
    i don't get the logic. if you can lose 82 lbs you can lose 100 lbs. 132 isn't even that light for someone 5'4" and female.

but, you should set a lot of small goals and then work your way from there. try to lose 10 lbs first, then 15, then 22, etc. don't have a goal of 82 lbs right off the bat. you need to build up to 82 lbs. start with 10 lbs.

once you get to 150, reevaluate your goal of 132. i guarantee when you are at 150 you will know that 132 is a realistic goal (especially since you've lost 82 lbs already).
    At this point, its just the fact that I may feel content at 150. :/ I DUNNO. I still have a while to think about it, so my mind may change.