"Paleo diet" - 70% fat???

Options

Replies

• undrznith
    undrznith Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm not disputing anyone's results eating a Paleo diet, but for me personally, eating fat DID make me fat. I lost my weight (and have kept it off) eating 50% carbs (predominantly whole grains), 25% protein, and 25% fat. My blood work indicates everything is in normal ranges now (and it wasn't before I lost my weight — my glucose was too high and my HDL was too low), and my blood pressure is lower than average (85/55).

Just curious, you said eating fat made you fat... What were you eating along with it? Eating high fat with high carbs will withouta doubt make you fat... I have never heard of anyone getting fat when following the paleo way of eating.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,737 Member
    Options
    I'm not disputing anyone's results eating a Paleo diet, but for me personally, eating fat DID make me fat. I lost my weight (and have kept it off) eating 50% carbs (predominantly whole grains), 25% protein, and 25% fat. My blood work indicates everything is in normal ranges now (and it wasn't before I lost my weight — my glucose was too high and my HDL was too low), and my blood pressure is lower than average (85/55).

Just curious, you said eating fat made you fat... What were you eating along with it? Eating high fat with high carbs will withouta doubt make you fat... I have never heard of anyone getting fat when following the paleo way of eating.
    I never followed the Paleo way. I just ate a diet that had considerably more fat than the one I'm eating now. I'm not saying Paleo won't work. I'm saying I lost MY fat while eating low-fat and plenty of whole grains, which is preferable to me than eating more protein and more fat. (I feel yucky when I eat much meat and/or fat.) I'm not knocking it for someone else who wants to eat that way. I'm just pointing out that I have no trouble losing and maintaining my weight a different way.
  • Strelok2500
    Strelok2500 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    So our bodies are equipped to eat something that was around 2 million years ago? Ever heard of human evolution and all the different skeletons that were dug up? You're saying their digestive systems were the same as us???
    He said for 2 million years. Not 2 million years ago.

That's a huge difference. Especially when considering human evolution.
  • NYGoddess77
    NYGoddess77 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    So our bodies are equipped to eat something that was around 2 million years ago? Ever heard of human evolution and all the different skeletons that were dug up? You're saying their digestive systems were the same as us???
    He said for 2 million years. Not 2 million years ago.

That's a huge difference. Especially when considering human evolution.

The human body and they way it operates is the same as it was all those years ago...if u feed it the crap that doesn't expire in a week or 2....it will develop disorders and other problems. We are no different than any other mammal. Just because u dont get fat all that tells me is that you are more active and physical. But let someone that is sedentary eat the grains and low fat...I guarantee u their body will start storing body fat (from carbs and sugar) and they will develop the metabolic disorder. My Aunt is 72 yrs old with Type 2 Diabetes shes had it for over 15 yrs...she's not very active except for her little walk every other day. She eats a high fat (healthy fats) and about 60g of protein a day. She eats about 50g of carbs from veggies a dayand sugar is about 20grams a day from the natural veggies or nuts she consume. She doesn't have to inject insulin everyday either. Thats a bonus in my opinion.
    http://healthimpactnews.com/2011/low-carbohydrate-high-fat-ketogenic-diet-may-reverse-kidney-failure-in-people-with-diabetes/ :happy:
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options

I know for me, eating low carb is not about a quick fix. I am sure my paleo friends didn't change their lifestyles because they wanted to be skinny. I am eating low carb on moral and health grounds. My doctor put me on a low carb diet to correct my blood panels (which it did). I was sick and tired both physically and mentally of my old way of eating.

curious as to the moral grounds. I have only heard vegetarians invoke this. Please explain

in terms of what you were responding to, if you want to lose weight fast, atkins is better...

I am morally opposed to eating garbage. I believe my body is the temple of God and I should treat it as such. As for Atkins being a quick weight loss method. I have not found it to be so. I did lose alot of weight the first month (about 25 lbs) but my weight loss has slowed to about 7-10 lbs a month which for my body type is about right. I am sure as I get closer to my goal weight it will slow down even more. But my primary goal is not weight loss, it is health and fitness. Eating the standard American diet, I was sick. I had borderline diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and pain in every joint of my body. Within a month of coming off of sugars and gluten-high foods all of my blood panels returned to optimal and my joint pain was gone. That is enough incentive to continue on this journey of eating an Atkins lifestyle.
  • NYGoddess77
    NYGoddess77 Posts: 146 Member
    Options

I know for me, eating low carb is not about a quick fix. I am sure my paleo friends didn't change their lifestyles because they wanted to be skinny. I am eating low carb on moral and health grounds. My doctor put me on a low carb diet to correct my blood panels (which it did). I was sick and tired both physically and mentally of my old way of eating.

curious as to the moral grounds. I have only heard vegetarians invoke this. Please explain

in terms of what you were responding to, if you want to lose weight fast, atkins is better...

I am morally opposed to eating garbage. I believe my body is the temple of God and I should treat it as such. As for Atkins being a quick weight loss method. I have not found it to be so. I did lose alot of weight the first month (about 25 lbs) but my weight loss has slowed to about 7-10 lbs a month which for my body type is about right. I am sure as I get closer to my goal weight it will slow down even more. But my primary goal is not weight loss, it is health and fitness. Eating the standard American diet, I was sick. I had borderline diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and pain in every joint of my body. Within a month of coming off of sugars and gluten-high foods all of my blood panels returned to optimal and my joint pain was gone. That is enough incentive to continue on this journey of eating an Atkins lifestyle.

Excellent Lajauna...now thats what i'm talking about.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    bump
  • gshinkle
    gshinkle Posts: 20
    Options

For what reason?

All it states is that cavemen ate meat AND vegetables and that there was a now extinct ape that was vegetarian.
  • gshinkle
    Options
    I'll repeat myself:

If grains were essential to our health, we would have died out long ago considering our ancestors (I'm talking cavemen) ate dominantly meat followed by veggies, fruits and nuts. I don't think foods like corn or unprocessed oats are inherently bad for you - just not necessarily optimal, though they certainly have some benefits. Things like bread and pasta, however, are simply not the best things to put into your body.

Ultimately, our bodies need to be eating fresh, nutrient dense, whole natural foods - not processed crap full of weird ingredients and unnecessary additives (and very few grains are ever consumed unprocessed). To me, this seems like common sense, though a few years ago I was as skeptical as the next gal.

I don't think there's a big government conspiracy hell bent on keeping us unhealthy and uninformed - I just think there's a lot of misinformation floating around due to genuine ignorance.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Err, all those species around then are extinct... I'm just saying, if we evolved from creatures like this, then why is it all of the sudden different.

Yes it does state they ate both but also quote.
    But a new analysis of Neanderthal remains from across the world has found direct evidence that contradicts the chemical studies. Researchers found fossilised grains of vegetable material in their teeth and some of it was cooked.

Although pollen grains have been found before on Neanderthal sites and some in hearths, it is only now there is clear evidence that plant food was actually eaten by these people.

I'm not arguing that grains are steroids. I'm saying that unless you have an allergy, I don't see the reason why grains are bad for you. I eat grains all the time and for a good part of my life. Never had a problem with it. A lot of people as well do not have a problem with it.
  • gshinkle
    Options
    Err, all those species around then are extinct...

We have found pollen grains in Neanderthal sites before but you never know whether they were eating the plant or sleeping on them or what

...Err, there's a lot more reasons behind extinction besides diet. Weather conditions, fighting, famine (no good hunt or possibly poor gathering skills), disease? Actually, I saw an interesting show in the history channel that said two of the most logical explanations comes from the fact that their build required a lot more calories for proper function. Meat was a primary source, though not an only source, of food. When this was scarce, they were not necessarily good at finding plant foods and even so, the plant foods were not enough to sustain them. Between this and warring with Cro-Magnons and other groups of Neanderthalls, it's a pretty easy and logical explanation to their extinction. The Cro-Magnons ate a wider variety of vegetables in addition to the meats they ate up until about 10,000 years ago when they started farming more for food, thus resulting in higher consumption of the once uncommon food source of grains.

The first known Cro-Magnon species (which is what we are) is aged to about 35,000 years ago. They ate meat, veggies, fruits and nuts dominantly until farming became a more common practice.

...and you do realize "pollen grains" aren't actually a grain, right?
  • mrphil86
    Options

We have found pollen grains in Neanderthal sites before but you never know whether they were eating the plant or sleeping on them or what

...Err, there's a lot more reasons behind extinction besides diet. Weather conditions, fighting, famine (no good hunt or possibly poor gathering skills), disease? Actually, I saw an interesting show in the history channel that said two of the most logical explanations comes from the fact that their build required a lot more calories for proper function. Meat was a primary source, though not an only source, of food. When this was scarce, they were not necessarily good at finding plant foods and even so, the plant foods were not enough to sustain them. Between this and warring with Cro-Magnons and other groups of Neanderthalls, it's a pretty easy and logical explanation to their extinction. The Cro-Magnons ate a wider variety of vegetables in addition to the meats they ate up until about 10,000 years ago when they started farming more for food, thus resulting in higher consumption of the once uncommon food source of grains.

The first known Cro-Magnon species (which is what we are) is aged to about 35,000 years ago. They ate meat, veggies, fruits and nuts dominantly until farming became a more common practice.

Yes, I quoted the wrong thing. Quoted what I wanted deleted. (Still, pollen grains have primarily carbohydrates.) And still questionable to how much they ate. Could be more or could be less.

I never said they were extinct because of diet. There is evidence of that they did eat more than just meat is what I'm trying to get across.
  • gshinkle
    Options
    Err, all those species around then are extinct... I'm just saying, if we evolved from creatures like this, then why is it all of the sudden different.

I'm not arguing that grains are steroids. I'm saying that unless you have an allergy, I don't see the reason why grains are bad for you. I eat grains all the time and for a good part of my life. Never had a problem with it. A lot of people as well do not have a problem with it.

All of a sudden? No no no...we've only been using grains as a dominant food source for 10,000 years. Homo-sapiens have been around for 200,000 years. Within these years, I don't doubt people got their hands on corn and oats, but they were not likely staples of their diet as they are in modern times.

Grains cause inflammation in the body. Persistently eating grains can lead to chronic inflammation, whether you notice it or not. This inflammation is linked to a host of ailments including heart disease, allergies, joint problems and so on. They also break down into glucose much more easily than most natural foods which can cause insulin surges which can also lead to other problems like diabetes. They're also loaded with lectins which do all sorts bad stuff - like binding to intestinal lining and causing leptin resistance.

Just because you do not plainly see an immediate problem does not mean your body is not suffering. Lots of people don't see any problems...until they end up with diabetes for some strange reason in their 40s or realize they have some clogged arteries in their 50s, or start developing digestive problems in their 60s. Yes, some people will be more greatly impacted than others, but that doesn't imply you aren't going to be even remotely affect in your lifetime but a high consumption of grains.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-grains-are-unhealthy/

The article explains why grains are bad. It also links to a couple of actual scientific studies. I have some more scientific studies of my own lined up, but I'm far too tired to dig them up and go into detail with them. But don't worry, I'll put it on my to-do list and assuming my boyfriend doesn't arrive too early tomorrow, I'll do it tomorrow morning. If he arrives earlier than expected, I'll post them Monday morning.
  • gshinkle
    Options

Yes, I quoted the wrong thing. Quoted what I wanted deleted. (Still, pollen grains have primarily carbohydrates.) And still questionable to how much they ate. Could be more or could be less.

I never said they were extinct because of diet. There is evidence of that they did eat more than just meat is what I'm trying to get across.

I don't think you fully understand what paleo is. It's not 100% about eating super low to no carbs. For many of us, it's about eating whole, nutrient dense natural foods - this includes carbohydrate heavier foods like fruits. However, these are typically eaten in moderation and not excessively.

Also, I don't think I've seen anybody arguing that they ate nothing but meat. I've seen a ton of people saying they ate MOSTLY meat with some vegetables and such, but nobody has made a blatant statement that they only ate meat (at least not that I've seen)
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Also, one, slightly serious request: can we stop calling our paleolithic ancestors "cavemen"? There is ample evidence for the extensive development of culture and art, both in homo sapiens sapiens, and also in neanderthal man, heck, neanderthals even cleaned their teeth

(PDF) http://culturesocietypraxis.org/index.php/csp/article/viewFile/131/99
    (Google Books) http://books.google.nl/books?id=5N-5ufxUuJkC&lpg=PA232&ots=Nly2zsTLIH&dq=evidence of neanderthal culture&pg=PA232#v=onepage&q=evidence of neanderthal culture&f=false

it's interesting too, that reconstructions of neanderthal man's physique have changed, and the difference with homo sapiens sapiens has become more subtle:

http://mathildasanthropologyblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/neanderthal20child.jpg

and lastly, a bit irreverently, I'd like to point out that probably cannibalism was widely practiced among both neanderthal man and homo sapiens sapiens. both it and human sacrifice were common even as late as the celts and germanic tribes in europe.

but the overwhelming evidence is indeed, that right into the upper paleolithic, both neanderthals and modern humans predominantly ate meat. although teeth structure points to them being omnivores they behaved like carnivores as can be shown from isotope analysis, pointing to collagen. faunal records and tools analysis point to hunting, not scavenging as the way to get animal protein.

as a comparison, meat may have provided about 90% of protein in neanderthal diet, but in the diet of homo sapiens sapiens this will have been about 70%. one interesting question concerns uric acid and neanderthal metabolism. it is thought that a meat only diet is gout inducing, so the must have a metabolic mechanism to reduce uric acid. for carnivores, uric acid is an important anti-occidant and low levels of uric acid have been associated with diseases like multiple sclerosis.

to a neanderthal, sugar would probably have been poisonous and carbohydrates would have caused serious health problems. I think that shows that even in early modern man, there has already been some adaptation to a diet with higher levels of carbohydrate, and maybe it was precisely this adaptation that enabled us to start eating more carbohydrates still.
  • mrphil86
    Options

All of a sudden? No no no...we've only been using grains as a dominant food source for 10,000 years. Homo-sapiens have been around for 200,000 years. Within these years, I don't doubt people got their hands on corn and oats, but they were not likely staples of their diet as they are in modern times.

Grains cause inflammation in the body. Persistently eating grains can lead to chronic inflammation, whether you notice it or not. This inflammation is linked to a host of ailments including heart disease, allergies, joint problems and so on. They also break down into glucose much more easily than most natural foods which can cause insulin surges which can also lead to other problems like diabetes. They're also loaded with lectins which do all sorts bad stuff - like binding to intestinal lining and causing leptin resistance.

Just because you do not plainly see an immediate problem does not mean your body is not suffering. Lots of people don't see any problems...until they end up with diabetes for some strange reason in their 40s or realize they have some clogged arteries in their 50s, or start developing digestive problems in their 60s. Yes, some people will be more greatly impacted than others, but that doesn't imply you aren't going to be even remotely affect in your lifetime but a high consumption of grains.

The article explains why grains are bad. It also links to a couple of actual scientific studies. I have some more scientific studies of my own lined up, but I'm far too tired to dig them up and go into detail with them. But don't worry, I'll put it on my to-do list and assuming my boyfriend doesn't arrive too early tomorrow, I'll do it tomorrow morning. If he arrives earlier than expected, I'll post them Monday morning.

Most of those studies are people with celiac disease. The one's that are not really don't have much of a conclusion. I tried to find other studies in google scholar but have not come up with any results.
  • cng1117
    cng1117 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    human sacrifice were common even as late as the celts and germanic tribes in europe.

Now this thread is getting interesting!!! :laugh:
  • gshinkle
    Options

Most of those studies are people with celiac disease. The one's that are not really don't have much of a conclusion. I tried to find other studies in google scholar but have not come up with any results.

This leads me to strongly believe you didn't actually click on all of the links or read the entire article. Yes, the gluten portion had a lot of celiac studies, but the links provided supporting the idea that lectins and phytates (things which grains contain an abundance of) are harmful to the body had absolutely nothing to do with celiac disease or gluten in general.

I'm disappointed. I thought if I provided some resources, they would actually be read. But I just received a phone call and don't have much more time before I need to head out. Don't worry about finding articles on google scholar. I'll find them for you come Monday morning when I have the time.
  • mrphil86
    Options

This leads me to strongly believe you didn't actually click on all of the links or read the entire article. Yes, the gluten portion had a lot of celiac studies, but the links provided supporting the idea that lectins and phytates (things which grains contain an abundance of) are harmful to the body had absolutely nothing to do with celiac disease or gluten in general.

I'm disappointed. I thought if I provided some resources, they would actually be read. But I just received a phone call and don't have much more time before I need to head out. Don't worry about finding articles on google scholar. I'll find them for you come Monday morning when I have the time.

I went through it again, maybe I'm missing something? I'm looking for studies not articles.