Earth day! What do YOU do for our planet?

Options
124»

Replies

• sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I just found Curly Girl last night! I've been doing the powder/quick shake method but by day three I'm a stringy mess, especially if I worked out hard. I'd love to find the natural bars but out here, well, we don't have the market and it's out of my range to have them shipped in. I'll have to try the cornstarch!

From what I've read about grey water, toilet flushing is the most common type of recycling. Depending on what was used with it, maybe garden stuff? Might not be organic that way though. I'm going to have to talk to an acquaintance now. She's got a permaculture degree and will be able to tell me more! :D
  • rachelowow
    Options
    My Boyfriend and I are going to start working on a fund raiser to get the state park in our area re-opened, and help organize a team to clean up the park!!
  • altak9
    altak9 Posts: 20
    Options
    Every day is earth day for us. We collect aluminum cans, throw out very little kitchen scraps and most of those go to the compost. We compost our horse manure. Grow a garden. Combine trips and go several days without driving our car. We recycle clothing and feed bags. Even when our dishtowels are worn out...my son gives them to his pet rat to use.
  • Fruit4dessert
    Fruit4dessert Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Fruit4Dessert, you got me thinking. There's no way in hades I can take a 5 minute shower (due to hair half way down my back). HOWEVER, we have started doing more of the running low heat and turning it off to do things like lather up or shave. Old camping tricks are awesome!

Now to be totally gross, does anyone else follow low 'poo or no 'poo? (This is about hair folks, nothing seriously gross.) I wanted to start a thread about it but wasn't sure how many other water/earth conscious freaks were out there. :D

Sisterlilbunny, I tried no 'poo about four years ago, and I didn't make it past the two week mark, where your scalp/hair is supposed to get used to it and not be so greasy. I haven't tried it again, though I remain intrigued. As it is now, my scalp and hair are actually very dry, and I only wet and wash it about once week, so I don't feel like there would be much environmental benefit by going no 'poo.

My best piece of advice for people wanting to do even more for our planet is to really focus on the "reduce" part of "Reduce, reuse, recycle." By reducing, you'll have even less to reuse and recycle. Reduce packaging, reduce buying new products (versus used), reduce how much you drive, etc. OK I'll get off my soapbox now! :)