PLEASE STOP! (If you don't know the nutritional values, don

Options
TS65
TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
Just a vent here...

If you don't know the nutritional value of a food, please don't add it to the database. I just looked up Honey Baked Ham and ended up with 3 different nutritional values. Who does that help - adding something with wrong info? It doesn't help you! AND it can mess up other people who may not think to double-check. Please.. just stop and do a little research before adding something!

ARGH!

Oh - and if you see an incorrect food - tag it! You are asked if the info is correct, if it isn't - check no! Hopefully that will help MFP get rid of the incorrect items.

*end rant*

Replies

• skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    OMG! That's so true. It gets pretty annoying sometimes!
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Hmm, good point. I only add a food to the database if I have the package with the nutritional info in front of me, but I am not so good at reporting the obviously incorrect listings that I come across. I'll start tagging things more often (and verifying when the info IS correct, for that matter)! :)
  • 512cheangela
    Options
    ...and really, how many different BANANA options does a girl really need?
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Welcome to OUR world:noway:
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • lajuana27
    lajuana27 Posts: 13
    Options
    I spent several minutes the other day trying to decipher which was the correct version of the food I was adding to my log. In the end, they were all wrong, and I just entered the values from the label.

And you're right, we should all start tagging the incorrect ones as well, I will definitely start doing that!
  • proverbs31chick
    proverbs31chick Posts: 485 Member
    Options

SOOOOOOOOOOO true, there are like a million options.
  • BrandNewMia
    BrandNewMia Posts: 461
    Options
    There was a thread like this a few weeks ago and Mike (MFP creator) actually commented on it and said that cleaning up the food database is one of their top priorities. So hopefully one day SOON it will be a lot better!

I have learned that when I find the correct value for a food that I am looking up, I save it in "My Meals" so I don't have to hunt for it again. What ticks me off is when I correct a particular item, then the next time I try to use it someone has changed it. Grr!!! :mad:
  • alison2429
    alison2429 Posts: 236 Member
    Options

So true!!!
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    IM WITH YOU ON THIS ONE!!!

I once found grilled chicken...guess how many grams of protein were listed? ZERO?!!? Are you kidding?! ZERO!!

-=grumbles=- :angry: :grumble: :noway:

I started adding things like "Summer's (insert food here)" because it wont leg you pick something that "might" be the same...even if it is not. Ive begun using the scanning bar code future on my Android APP to help better track anything store bought since people seem too lazy to put into in correctly...
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • Charli666
    Charli666 Posts: 407
    Options
    I am with you, but i was amazed at how different chicken pieces from different shops had such differing values, so it could be that they do know, and there are different values in different varieties
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Welcome to OUR world:noway:

LOL! Right!
    When in Doubt go to NutritionalData.com and/or Coheso.com
  • ReneeOfTheFae
    Options
    Devil's advocate here. Keep in mind that some recipes have different ingredients. Some pigs are raised differently, which can change the content of the meat. And not all fruits are the same size. I agree that it's like pulling teeth trying to find exactly what you need to log, but let's face it: not all food is the exact same thing every time.
  • BrandNewMia
    BrandNewMia Posts: 461
    Options

SOOOOOOOOOOO true, there are like a million options.

For fruits, veggies and meats I only use the foods that were entered by MFP specifically and NOT the users. Foods in the database that begin with a * were entered by MFP users and I just don't trust 'em!
  • VixFit2011
    VixFit2011 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I'm new here so I agree. I've found many things that don't match. I've been trying to enter correctly from what's on the labels of the foods I eat.
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Uggg...I hate this too. I've tried to fix all of the ones I use that are F*ed up, but there are just so many that are wrong.
  • thekern
    thekern Posts: 21
    Options
    Oh no, I haven't even thought about the fact that people could be submitting incorrect info! I'll definitely have to keep my eye out for that kind of stuff a little better. You can be sure I'll be tagging things as incorrect if I see them!
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that the nutrition values vary widely from country to country. I and i know some others are including thr country on the lable, also that items from multipacks differ from the single items, i note that too.
  • tam8374
    tam8374 Posts: 270 Member
    Options

I AGREEE!!! I never really know which one to pick. There are so many for a med. size banana.