I (Heart) BOOBIES!

Options
I want your opinion...Tell me what you think about this!
http://www.news9.com/story/14499682/wannette-high-school-student-suspended
Of course I too have my own opinion but I want to hear everyone else's first!

I'm going to go ahead and add my 2 cents.
I think it is absolutely CRAZY that a womens body part is having such a negative light shed on it. I feel that a lot of this negativity is what makes girls/new mothers think down on breastfeeding. It is HUMAN NATURE and the way GOD made us. If they can teach about penises, and breasts in school, then why can't a student wear a bracelet that is supporting breast cancer awareness?
I think there is MUCH more things going on at school that is by far worse then the word BOOBIES, that the school teachers, etc. should be worrying about.

I also believe that the teachers, principal, or whoever, is probably giving these bracelets more attention then the students are. The teachers are making it a big deal.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    I guess it's okay to say "heart" but not "boobies". . .the judge already decided. Kind of an overreaction if you ask me.
  • leslturn8
    leslturn8 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Good on the girl!
  • jsmith2377
    jsmith2377 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to wear my I (heart) balls bracelet to school tomorrow.
  • goingtobefit2015
    goingtobefit2015 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    My son actually wears one of these bracelets all the time he's 17 yrs old...alot of his friends wear them for Breast cancer support! I don't have a problem with it at all! He wears his to school and nothing has been said here in Keller ISD.
  • MissKeeKee
    MissKeeKee Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I think this is absolutely ridiculous. There is absolutely nothing wrong with these bracelets and I commend this young lady for standing up for her rights!!
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    my son wears one n he has for like 2 years now. hes now 19 and in college but never had problem in hs either.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Well, there are definitely more tasteful breast cancer awareness bracelets out there...I probably wouldn't want my kids wearing one that said I hear Boobies. It does seem inappropriate, especially in a school setting.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Euphemistic America.

Got to love it.

It's nice to know that people including myself serve in the military to defend democracy and freedom of this country. Many have served in Iraq and Afghanistan including myself. Protecting the many rights including freedom of speech. It makes me sick to my stomach that I come home every time to a place that worries about what is "appropriate" when the real world isn't sunshine and candy. There is obviously a limit but by far this does not reach that limit. Like I said, euphemistic America.
  • dd_salas
    dd_salas Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where I stand on this one. I am a teacher at a high school in Las Vegas, NV (fyi, our school district is the 5th largest in the US). If I saw a student wearing this, I would have to dress code them, unless my principal approved the sale and wearing of the bracelets.

This is my logic - if I allow a student to wear something that says "boobies", then that same logic would allow a student to wear a bracelet the reads "I (heart) BONERS!" for prostate cancer awareness. Its hard to permit one and not the other. I also teach Health, which involves some very detailed and frank discussions on everything about sexual activity, STD's, you name it. So, yeah, I would have to go with whatever my principal said on this one. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with it - BOOBIES or BONERS. But some will say that those phrases are too much of a distraction....
  • Dencrossgirl
    Dencrossgirl Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I was too lazy to go to the link, don't have to, because stupidity is just so predictable. Never mind the fact that cancer awareness is everything in our WORLD, and didn't somebody guarantee freedom of speech. Did I mention that I hate stupidity.
  • SafariLara
    SafariLara Posts: 172
    Options
    I have one and wear it everyday. I even wear it to work! I think they are a clever way to promote breast cancer awareness AND they come in fun colors!
  • k2d4p
    k2d4p Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I think there are much more tastful ways of supporting breast cancer survivors or research. I agree with the previous post, if there were people wearing "I heart balls" bracelets, there would be a bigger uproar I think. My grandma had breast cancer. I support research almost every opportunity I can.

I don't think there are very many high school age people that wear these solely to support this cause. I think it is a little tacky, honestly.
  • Silky815
    Silky815 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I agree. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with wearing them. I would wear it too, IF I knew where to get one at. I say we all wear one. Promote Breast Cancer!!!!
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I think people need to lighten up. There's much more important things to worry about than a teenager wearing an I heart boobies bracelet. Seriously.
  • kendf60
    kendf60 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I don't personally think the bracelets show much class, but see nothing that justifies suspension. There maybe more to the story though.
  • mrsblair84
    Options
    SAVE THE TATAS!!
  • color_me_skinny
    Options
    I'm not sure where I stand on this one. I am a teacher at a high school in Las Vegas, NV (fyi, our school district is the 5th largest in the US). If I saw a student wearing this, I would have to dress code them, unless my principal approved the sale and wearing of the bracelets.

This is my logic - if I allow a student to wear something that says "boobies", then that same logic would allow a student to wear a bracelet the reads "I (heart) BONERS!" for prostate cancer awareness. Its hard to permit one and not the other. I also teach Health, which involves some very detailed and frank discussions on everything about sexual activity, STD's, you name it. So, yeah, I would have to go with whatever my principal said on this one. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with it - BOOBIES or BONERS. But some will say that those phrases are too much of a distraction....
    I think it's totally different. BOOBIES- it's a womens body part that we have so we can feed our babies.
    BONERS- its for sex. and yes, i can see that one causing some distractions among the students.
  • RyonsLions2
    RyonsLions2 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    With freedom comes responsibility. No need to respond to me. Just saying. OH , but one more thing to think about. Maybe a kid wearing a cross T shirt about Jesus... MAY offend someone. Does that mean that they can't wear that shirt? SO, if the boobies phrase, being tasteless as it is offends someone... should they not be able to wear it? Where is the line drawn. Who is the determining offended person to make the decision on what is allowed and what is not. Why are there even rules in this world? Why don't we all just not have any rules or morals or etiquette or anything?? Why can't it all just be one big free for all? No law, no nothing. There should be lines drawn somewhere just so that everyone is on the same page and this doesn't KEEP happening every time we turn around about EVERYTHING. Every body is offended about something. There has to be a happy medium. Can't be like, NO YOU CAN'T MOVE OR BREATHE YOU MIGHT OFFEND SOMEONE, and you can't be like, OH YOU KNOW WHAT? I NEVER DID LIKE YOU SO I THINK I'LL JUST TAKE YOUR LIFE BECAUSE I CAN. Where is the line drawn. Its too late for this. Please don't respond to me personally because I won't send any messages back and it will be a waste of your time because I won't read them, just delete them. Carry on here if you want on this thread. Oh I have 6 kids ages 2 to 16 and I wouldn't allow them to wear it phrased like that... I prefer the ta ta's one. That's my limit.
  • color_me_skinny
    Options
    I have one and wear it everyday. I even wear it to work! I think they are a clever way to promote breast cancer awareness AND they come in fun colors!
    I dont have one, but I want one! I think the word "boobies" gives it a little fun, and makes it less serious and sad feeling. It gets kids and teens willing, and wanting to wear them! Clever indeed!
  • color_me_skinny
    Options
    I agree. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with wearing them. I would wear it too, IF I knew where to get one at. I say we all wear one. Promote Breast Cancer!!!!
    They sell them in our malls here. And I know you can get them online. Just go to google search.