Most Backhanded Compliment Ever Received?

Options
VegGrrl
VegGrrl Posts: 336 Member
I've lost 18 lbs so far. I'm 46 years old. The single most annoying "compliment" I seem to keep getting lately is

"You've lost weight - it really shows in your face!"

Yeah, my face has gotten a bit saggier now that it's not puffed up with as much extra fat. But jeez - way to make an ageing lady cringe!! (Esp. when a 25 year old tells you this...)

What's the most ignorant, silliest, or worst backhanded compliment that YOU have gotten since losing weight? C'mon, let's share the pain and chagrin!

Replies

• ItsOn130
    ItsOn130 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    "Wow, you're hair is getting long!" This being said shortly after talking about having lost 30lbs. I don't even see this person often... Maybe once or twice a month...
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    "Wow, you've lost a lot of weight! That's great, because you were really getting chunky there for a while!"
  • lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I've lost 30 pounds, and everyone keeps saying it shows in my face. Now I know, and YOU know, that my head was not 30 pounds overweight, so pick a new body part to compliment!!!!
  • T0RIEELIZABETH
    Options
    "your shirts are starting to look like ponchos"

Yea, great you can see I'm losing weight, but unless you want to buy me new clothes since I cant afford them, comment on something else :)
  • Jessaamine
    Jessaamine Posts: 111
    Options
    Not about weight, but my co-worker once said, "With your hair up like that, you look just like a little Amish girl." Um thanks...

Another co-worker once said about me, "You look at her and you think she's all quiet and plain, but she's actually really devious!"

I'll own up to devious but quiet and plain? Wow... I guess that's better than loud and strange looking : /
  • daves1grl
    daves1grl Posts: 26
    Options
    I've gotten that to. "I can really tell in your face" is what I hear a lot of. I figure my cheek bones haven't been visible for a while, maybe they forgot I had them! LOL, I don't think if it is said to be insulting, I just smile.
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    After taking off 30 pounds, at a christmas party I got told "wow, you've lost weight! You look great"..

Then the person patted my arm, smiled and added "but you've still got a long way to go"

Nice eh?
  • MsScorpio67
    MsScorpio67 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My mother: Oh girl I'm so glad you are losing weight. Cause i didn't want to tell you this but you were begining to waddle.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Your boobs look bigger. yeah...I never know how to respond to that.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I have heard degrading comments..'i would like to get all hot and sweaty with you' and other vairous comments about my body. Not in a pleasant way either in a way that makes you wanna take a shower ech...I am happy to be getting attention but casual convo would help:grumble:
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    " I can tell you've lost weight because your stomach is a lot less lumpy"

and

" yeah, you've definitely lost weight. Your stomach doesn't hang over your pants nearly as much now"

both by my husband ....thankssssssssss
  • Karleyyy
    Karleyyy Posts: 857
    Options
    When I posted by before and midway pictures, someone told me that I "don't look amazing yet, BUT.."
  • anewattitude
    anewattitude Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    " You look nice, how come, what's the occassion"? .. hmmmm,,,,, like I ONLY look nice on certain " occassions". Thanks!!

Or my mom likes to say " You're being nice, what's wrong with you today"? I'm ALWAYS NICE DAMMIT! LOL

ugg.... I think you started to something here with this thread! LOL
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    My grandma: "you look so pretty NOW" gee thanks.....:grumble:
  • WVBayouGal
    Options
    When I lose weight, it ALWAYS shows in my face first....and in the past, I was usually wearing the same clothes I had before the weight loss (didn't want to spend money on clothes and then buy more new clothes later) So, I always took it as a compliment. Heck, I'll take a compliment, even a back handed one....LOL
  • Quierstina
    Quierstina Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    After taking off 30 pounds, at a christmas party I got told "wow, you've lost weight! You look great"..

The the person patted my arm, smiled and added "but you've still got a long way to go"

Nice eh?

That person had some nerve!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Not weight-related, but the one that always stands out is: "I never knew you were smart!?"
  • LJSpady
    LJSpady Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    "You've lost so much weight! You can ALMOST go to regular clothing store with me."
  • simplyxaddicted
    simplyxaddicted Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    " You look sooo nice now, You were some kind of a size!
    Gee thanks :brokenheart:
  • emiliabeth
    Options
    Not weight-related, but the one that always stands out is: "I never knew you were smart!?"
    Always stands out?? More than one person has said that?? Sheesh...

Oh, and when I was at my heaviest it was the ever popular 'You have a really pretty face'. In the silence that followed I could always hear the echo, 'but you have a HUGE *kitten*.'. Brilliant...