site tells me to eat almost 3k cals a day,,,but I eat half that and still dont loose

Options

Replies

• 12pillows
    12pillows Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm confused about what you want here.
    You've said that you aren't losing weight, but also that you're not trying to? I fail to see a problem.

You've asked people why you're not losing weight, and they have said it might be from inaccurate logging as you seem to be logging by volume instead of weight.

If not losing weight when you don't want to is really bothering you, you can either log via weighing food for a while, or shrug it off?
    Not sure what answers you were hoping for.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    cvcman wrote: »
    tell ya what...take 1 tbl spoon dry...add a small amt of water..put in microwave for 1 minute...tell me what you get..I do this EVERYDAY .....your weights and numbers are WAY off

The problem with this one item isn't calories being added to oatmeal when you cook it. It is that the database entry you are using is wrong for what you are eating.

One tablespoon of dry oatmeal = 60 calories, not 9

I'm not sure exactly what you wanted us to say. You started your post with "Check my diary". This is what we are seeing, vague user-added entries that are probably not accurate. Maybe try only using entries without an asterisk (MFP entries, not user entries) so you can log by grams.

If you were looking for some other type of feedback, maybe you should be more specific about what you expected to hear?
  • cvcman
    cvcman Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    so...chg my goals to "active" dont log my exercise...ill still be under on suggested cals....what good is the site if you have to lie to it ??? Im confused
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    frob....where are you getting these numbers ?????????????? 2 tablespoons dry is 12 grams...no where near 120 cals.....its like 45 at the most

The default information when googling oatmeal nutrition: 1 oz dry (28g) Yields 177g cooked... 120 calories.

If your numbers are slightly different, that's fine. They shouldn't be too far off. The simple fact remains that the amounts you are logging are off by a significant amount. And, it's not just oatmeal. It's a lot of things.
  • Solar_Cat
    Solar_Cat Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    One more small point -- well, it could be small or large, depending -- is that there is no such thing as "zero cal Pam." They may claim zero calories per serving on the label, but you have to look at the serving size (typically a 1/3-second spray), calculate how many servings you're actually using, and then back-calculate the real calorie content based on their number for servings per container and their number for total content of container. Figure nine calories per gram of oil. You may discover that there's actually a significant calorie load in the cooking spray, depending on how long you spray.
  • cvcman
    Options
    Kinny...1 tablespoon is NOT 60 cals...40 grams is 150 cals DRY...1 tablespoon is 6 grams...so 1 tablespoon is 22.5...so im not sure where you are getting your info but this is right off the Quaker pkg ????????????
  • karenj_m
    karenj_m Posts: 215
    Options
    Based on the TDEE method, Male / 5' 7" tall / 140 lbs / age 55 with 20% deduction (using "moderately active" ) I come up with 1750 calories per day for you to lose 1 pound per week....you're eating over that "most days" so you are eating up your deficit....

http://www.calculatorlab.com/HowDoIMeetMyWeightLossGoal/index.php#cutby20
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Kinny...1 tablespoon is NOT 60 cals...40 grams is 150 cals DRY...1 tablespoon is 6 grams...so 1 tablespoon is 22.5...so im not sure where you are getting your info but this is right off the Quaker pkg ????????????

It's still more than what you're logging though. Your 2 tbsp of DRY oatmeal is 46 calories, not the 18 you're logging. So again... it's not JUST the oatmeal... it's other things in your diary too... they're not accurately entered/logged because you're not logging them by weight, you're logging by volume.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    This thread has become about 1 tablespoon oatmeal wet or dry and is blowing up my Notifications. How do I get my notification area back? Do not want! :grinning:
  • cvcman
    Options
    ok so even ...as I already said...throw in an extra 300 als for what you say are not accurate numbers...im still under,,,some days by 1000 cals
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    This is why you should measure solids with weights and not volume. If you are weighing out 6g of oatmeal every morning (25-30 calories worth). That's still insanely tiny. But, you're not logging it that way. You're logging it as 9 calories. That's a third of what it should be.

How did you log 0.025 cups of cheese? That's less than 3g! If the scale said 3g, you'd log 0.027 cups and if the scale said 2g, you'd log 0.018 cups. How do you get 0.025 cups without using a scale more appropriate for weighing illicit substances than foods?
  • cvcman
    Options
    well more important is people saying my numbers are WAY off then they post numbers that are NO where near close .lol...then say to lie and not log exercise etc...the site keeps saying " you will weigh 127 pounds" ...ya ok
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    I got about 30 cals for 1tbsp of dry oats. I just logged it into my diary. That being said, I am weighing large flake oats. However, your diary lists 2tbsp at 18 cals. You are yourself indicating that one tbsp is 23 cals, and yet you have eaten twice that today without it being reflected in your log.

exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html
    health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

Indicate average activity, either with your exercise to formulate your TDEE, OR without exercise to formulate your net and then you'd log/eat back exercise. Subtract 15% from either if your goal is to lose weight, if it's to maintain then eat at the given amount. And as already said, your logging does not reflect weighed measurements in most cases. If all you're doing is eating a spinach leaf, that's fine, don't weigh it. I weigh everything myself, even prepackaged foods. And I've done just fine losing weight.
  • cvcman
    Options
    ok so im or the site is 12 cals off on my daily oatmeal...wow.lol
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,945 Member
    Options
    It's not rocket surgery..if your not losing your not in a deficit. Most people that actually try hard to be accurate in the amount of calories they consume are generally out anywhere from 200-400 calories a day. The otameal example is just a small sample of the why's.
  • cvcman
    Options
    ana...I ate 1 tablespoon today,,,but my wife added another tablespoon in 2 beanburgers of which I ate one of...so....
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to lose weight? You said you weren't and you aren't, so.... Who cares if mfp calories are off? Just curious. You've found your maintenance - congrats!
  • 12pillows
    12pillows Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Again, what are you hoping to achieve from this thread since you've already stated you're not trying to lose weight anyway, and you don't seem interested in seeing if changing your logging habits will help?