site tells me to eat almost 3k cals a day,,,but I eat half that and still dont loose

Options

Replies

• shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    You ask people where you're going wrong then get defensive when they offer suggestions. You know what I think? The half a bottle of wine a day and the pretzels and nuts are probably to blame. Your diet overall looks pretty rubbish to be honest, especially if you're as active as you say. Try eating a fair bit more protein and fresh vegetables, some healthy fats, maybe cut the alcohol to once a week (I had to, and I love a good shiraz).
  • cvcman
    cvcman Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    well...my whole point is the site says I SHOULD be loosing,,,im NOT,,,and the 5 or 20 cals everyone is beating on me for is not going to make any diff....when the site says im under by 1000 cals or more
  • karenj_m
    karenj_m Posts: 215
    Options
    You're not trying to lose weight? Then why are we here after 3 pages of postings? Over oatmeal? I'm done.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Either there is a serious disconnect between your logging and what you're actually eating (and not just the oatmeal, EVERYTHING), or you have a medical condition that is preventing you from losing weight. That's what this runaround boils down to.
  • cvcman
    Options
    Shai,,,/2 bottle of wine ???? I eat lots of fruits, veggies, fish almost everyday...very little meat...my food is rubbish...me thinks you are crazy/// and im not "defensive" except when people throw out numbers tat are totally WRONG...and then say im not logging accurate....my 7 day a week exercise alone would kill alot of people and thats just my cardio...not counting my work level and weights....so again im under on recomended carbs too ...cut the pretzles...why ? A calorie is a calorie...
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I got my numbers from the USDA. Obviously Quaker oats are different by volume than whatever oats the USDA used to come to their number. Which, as someone else said, is proof that you need to weigh, not measure. Which is why we are all saying your logging is the issue, because the entries you are choosing to log your food are not accurate by weight. This isn't about the oatmeal, it's about all of your entries. What you think is a medium ear of corn might be bigger or smaller than whatever random user added a medium ear of corn to the database. This applied to a lot of your entries. I don't know what more anyone else could say...

Maybe you have a tapeworm.
    Maybe you have the slowest metabolism known to man.
    Maybe you eat and clean up after yourself when you sleep.
    Or maybe you are just choosing inaccurate entries in the database.

I've got nothing else, sorry. I hope you figure it out.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Those errors are indicative of other errors you're likely making... 20 to 50 calories several times a day, every day of the week adds up to a lot of calories not being accounted for. Logging was really hard for me for a loooong time. It just takes practice.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I'm done arguing the point. If you want to prove you're a special snowflake who just happens to prove this site doesn't work, you're going to need to try harder next time.

I will say one more thing about accurate logging. I used to think using food scales for everything was stupid and a bit OCD. That's until I actually started comparing my volume measurements to the weight they should be. My volume measures were systematically higher (often much higher). For example, my protein powder says a serving is 1 scoop or 34g. The scoop came with the powder. How off could it be? A level scoop (not rounded) weighs between 40g and 48g. That's up to over 41% of the amount I expect. It's an extra 60 calories per scoop. Systematic underestimation of that sort would give me over 800 calories more per day than I was aiming at while trying to lose (more then wiping out my deficit and instead putting me on the road to weight gain).
  • cvcman
    Options
    good Keren...glad to hear it...see ya lol,,,the oatmeal was NOT me it was a few "others" spouting bs and not facts ...see ya !
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    so you ate maybe 12g of oats, which would be closer to 44 cals which is not indicated by your logging. Do you (or your wife) regularly make recipes? You might want to utilize the recipe function. Even if I'm just making straight beef burgers, nothing in it but salt and pepper, I make it into a recipe. That way I can enter in the oil I used to fry them, enter in the weight of the total beef I'm using, and then I can divide into how many burgers I want and I will weigh each raw patty out to be equal before frying.

I'm not really sure what your goal is now though.. are you still trying to lose weight? Do you want to maintain? The two websites I listed are good resources for estimating maintenance calorie needs, I definitely recommend trying them out. If you exercise very consistently then simply include the exercise. I switched from that method (known as TDEE) to MFP's net method because my exercise is not as regular, but also i wanted more freedom to be less strict with exercise. So I eat 1880 max a day, and then if I exercise I eat closer to 2000-2100.

If you want to lose, then subtract 15% (or even 10, I doubt you have much to lose if that's your goal). Otherwise, keep it as it is and aim to eat that every day. In either case, weigh your food and log it as the weighed measurement. Even that shred of cheese, weigh and log it as such. Look for entries that 100% match your labels, and if you cannot use the weight function then figure out the decimal ratio. So let's say your cheese serving is 30g (I believe most cheese blocks are), but you only weigh out and eat 3g. So that'd be 0.1 of the label serving, and shoudl give you accurate information. Or if you ate 40g, then that'd be 1.33 servings. Just be consistent in weighing things, and log things appropriately. So if you weigh some raw meat, you'd look for the raw meat entry. Or for cooked, you'd log the cooked entry. If you'd like an idea of how this should all be done you can look through my diary - I weigh everything, and I tend to weigh both cooked and dry and make sure to use my appropriate user-created entries for it (as I wanted accurate calories reflecting the macros and I wanted to be able to log in grams/ml)
  • 12pillows
    12pillows Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Everyone isn't 'beating on you' for the 5 or 20 calories.
    They are using the measurements of one item in your food diary as an example of how the logging in your diary is inaccurate.
    If everything else was logged as the exact brand you are eating, and weighed by the gram, they wouldn't. But even in this thread you have shown us that just one ingredient that you eat everyday (so should be easier to log) is off by at least half the calories.
    If you apply this to everything you eat (as an extreme example, double the calories of all your food) it would be obvious why your weight isn't changing.

I still don't understand why you are upset about any of this anyway as you claim you don't want to lose weight.
  • cvcman
    Options
    frob...from hat you have posted so far...and how your numbers are NOT even close...pls hold off on your advise,,,its NOT accurate :)
  • ana3067
    Options
    cvcman wrote: »
    well...my whole point is the site says I SHOULD be loosing,,,im NOT,,,and the 5 or 20 cals everyone is beating on me for is not going to make any diff....when the site says im under by 1000 cals or more

Just because MFP says that you need 3000 calories or something, doesn't mean it's right. It's just a calculator, it uses the information you provide it. So you may actually only need say, 2000 a day. And if you are improperly logging one food, it means that there is a good chance that this happens with other food, which is the point people here are trying to make. Obviously 20 calories +/- form your needs won't break your goals, but if it's 20 cals from many of your foods, that adds up. So just try being very consistent with how you log, log weight properly, etc.
  • cvcman
    Options
    and Courtney once AGAIN...even add 300 cals a day for inaccurate numbers...im STILL under....and as for the ear of corn...this isnt 100% for ANY food weighed or not !
  • cvcman
    Options
    ana...PLEASE READ...today ONLY I ate 6 grams...1 tablespoon for breakfast...then 1 tablespoon was put into TWO burgers....I ate ONE of these...so an additional 1/2 tablespoon...its NOTHING !...zeez
  • ana3067
    edited October 2014
    Options
    frob23 wrote: »
    I'm done arguing the point. If you want to prove you're a special snowflake who just happens to prove this site doesn't work, you're going to need to try harder next time.

I will say one more thing about accurate logging. I used to think using food scales for everything was stupid and a bit OCD. That's until I actually started comparing my volume measurements to the weight they should be. My volume measures were systematically higher (often much higher). For example, my protein powder says a serving is 1 scoop or 34g. The scoop came with the powder. How off could it be? A level scoop (not rounded) weighs between 40g and 48g. That's up to over 41% of the amount I expect. It's an extra 60 calories per scoop. Systematic underestimation of that sort would give me over 800 calories more per day than I was aiming at while trying to lose (more then wiping out my deficit and instead putting me on the road to weight gain).

I have a digital food scale and I measure stuff, too. I'm going to try weighing more stuff and see if I can get a more accurate "hold" on this...I just started a week ago and what you said makes sense. What the OP (and yes, he's very defensive and a bit snarky even tho he asked for help) says makes NO sense at all.

If you eat calorie-dense food regularly (e.g. peanut butter), definitely make it a habit. I love eating chocolate PB a few x a week (or like.. daily lol) and I'm always so sad that the 1tbsp is so tiiiiny. I go to scoop out how much I think it should be and I'm at like 25g haha. Compared to the 18g a tbsp is!
  • cvcman
    Options
    12 pillows...so we find ONE entry off by 12 calories...so now EVERYTHING is off ??????? really ????
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    cvcman wrote: »
    frob...from hat you have posted so far...and how your numbers are NOT even close...pls hold off on your advise,,,its NOT accurate :)

NOT accurate? You mean like your food diary? o:)