Legitimate weight loss tip that worked for me

Options

Replies

• MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Happy for you, buuuuut nope. Lack of meat protein is very VERY bad for me.
    It's great that you found something that works for you, and maybe it'll be perfect for someone else, but for someone like me it's terrible. As in physically, body doesn't function right terrible. Not just stalled weight loss bad.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    This is such a misconception. Going vegetarian/vegan in and of itself does not make anyone lose weight. It only accomplishes this if it causes you to eat in a deficit. I was vegetarian a few years ago. When I made the switch I did lose some weight, but then that leveled out and I remained an overweight vegetarian. So no, you can make no such promise.

I don't understand why so many people automatically go here. I don't thinks he was saying being vegan / vegetarian is the key to weight loss; I think she's saying it worked for her. No need to take it anywhere else. Same with people who post about eating "clean," eating fewer carbs, running on off-days or anything else people might deem as misguided. It helped them and they felt like sharing. No need to jump on her for trying to be positive and helpful.

I didn't jump on her. And she went beyond saying it worked for her, she promised that it would work for everyone. It does not work for everyone and there is absolutely nothing wrong with pointing that out. When will people figure out that disagreement is OK? It's not a personal attack and it's not "jumping on someone."
  • bcerk
    bcerk Posts: 41
    Options
    Last time I try to share a tip with people, haha. Thanks for the "supportive" community MFP!
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've got a marketable plan here!!
  • 808Trish808
    808Trish808 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    This is such a misconception. Going vegetarian/vegan in and of itself does not make anyone lose weight. It only accomplishes this if it causes you to eat in a deficit. I was vegetarian a few years ago. When I made the switch I did lose some weight, but then that leveled out and I remained an overweight vegetarian. So no, you can make no such promise.

I don't understand why so many people automatically go here. I don't thinks he was saying being vegan / vegetarian is the key to weight loss; I think she's saying it worked for her. No need to take it anywhere else. Same with people who post about eating "clean," eating fewer carbs, running on off-days or anything else people might deem as misguided. It helped them and they felt like sharing. No need to jump on her for trying to be positive and helpful.

I agree. Let's be here to help motivate :)
  • rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    bcerk wrote: »
    Last time I try to share a tip with people, haha. Thanks for the "supportive" community MFP!

And Thank *YOU* for the "nutrition advice"!

The best way to be healthy is to embrace *moderation*, not denial or quick-fix diets. Otherwise, you get people feeling guilty for "cheating" or worse yet, giving up because they don't feel like they can sustain the new fad diet they've embraced.

Short version: Don't deny yourself foods; Just learn appropriate serving sizes.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    It's great that you've found something that works for you. I prefer to get my protein from food rather than supplements, but if it's a sustainable lifestyle for you then that is what counts. Lots of people are vegetarian/rarely eat meat and are healthy and fit, but it does take work. As long as your body is getting what it needs then it's all good.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Being vegetarian/vegan is a personal choice. But all that matters to losing weight is the second part of what you said...a calorie deficit. My best friend has been vegan off and on as long as I've known her, and she weighs more than I do.
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian for 12 years, fat for 12 years too. How come it didn't work for me :(
  • bcerk
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Being vegetarian/vegan is a personal choice. But all that matters to losing weight is the second part of what you said...a calorie deficit. My best friend has been vegan off and on as long as I've known her, and she weighs more than I do.

Definitely. I still count calories, It's just helping me stay below my daily value.
  • bcerk
    Options
    JenniDaisy wrote: »
    I was vegetarian for 12 years, fat for 12 years too. How come it didn't work for me :(

Along with regular exercise and calorie counting?
  • divediva2
    divediva2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I eat all types of healthy foods, meat, fish, poultry, vegetables, whole grains, fruit, dairy and I am feeling great. I'll stick with this, I have to live my life and it includes all of the above plus a little wine or mojito for some fun.
    10lb gone in 9 weeks, I think I am on to something here.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    calories in V calories out. That's all
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    To the people who are complaining that people are jumping on the OP. Whenever you post information in this forum, others will read it. Some of those others are the lurkers who never post. When someone posts something, it's up to the community to address any potential issues with what is said so that we have a well-rounded discussion about these things.

There are people on this site who come here for guidance and may be just getting started on their fitness journey. When they see a "tip" that tells them about a weight loss trick that will for sure work for them and no one counters with an alternate viewpoint, those individuals are getting unbalanced guidance. Yes, they shouldn't just take forum posts as facts, but it still happens (especially with our younger members).

No one was mean to the OP. Most people countered with their own experiences, which is relevant to this topic because OP is offering herself as evidence that her diet works for everyone. Should we each start our own thread to state our own experience and how it differed? Or should we post our responses on this thread, which is kind of the point.

Having said that, let's look at the OP:
    I am a work week vegetarian!

Hi guys. I struggled to see the lbs come off, even with counting calories until I became a work week vegetarian!

I only eat meat 1 day out of the week. It is normally one day on the weekend and is usually only one meal and on the same day as my "cheat day." I have to say, this along with counting calories with My Fitness Pal has helped me lose 6 lbs so far.

I believe that when you're not eating meat, you make healthier decisions in all aspects of your diet. Maybe it is a psychological thing, but I think it works.

And before you start telling me that I'm now lacking nutrients and protein, I get plenty of protein through supplements, protein powders, protein bars and I get all of my nutrients through various foods and vitamins.

If you are struggling to see lbs come off, I really think you should give this a try. Check through my diary if you'd like to see how I'm doing.

This diet routine along with frequent exercise WILL work for you! I promise.

See the bolded and highlighted portions above?

OP clearly states that calorie counting wasn't working for her alone, so she decided to try vegetarianism ON TOP of calorie counting.

She both recommends that others try this plan and PROMISES that it will work for them.

Do you see why people feel the need to point out that their own experiences with a vegetarian diet do not match the OP's? It's not about being mean. It's about offering an alternative viewpoint.

I personally ate a diet much healthier than the OP's (I checked your food diary) in terms of food choice while I was a vegetarian/vegan. Guess what? I was fat.

BTW, you guys really need to look at that food diary.
  • dbanks80
    Options
    To the people who are complaining that people are jumping on the OP. Whenever you post information in this forum, others will read it. Some of those others are the lurkers who never post. When someone posts something, it's up to the community to address any potential issues with what is said so that we have a well-rounded discussion about these things.

There are people on this site who come here for guidance and may be just getting started on their fitness journey. When they see a "tip" that tells them about a weight loss trick that will for sure work for them and no one counters with an alternate viewpoint, those individuals are getting unbalanced guidance. Yes, they shouldn't just take forum posts as facts, but it still happens (especially with our younger members).

No one was mean to the OP. Most people countered with their own experiences, which is relevant to this topic because OP is offering herself as evidence that her diet works for everyone. Should we each start our own thread to state our own experience and how it differed? Or should we post our responses on this thread, which is kind of the point.

Hi guys. I struggled to see the lbs come off, even with counting calories until I became a work week vegetarian!

I only eat meat 1 day out of the week. It is normally one day on the weekend and is usually only one meal and on the same day as my "cheat day." I have to say, this along with counting calories with My Fitness Pal has helped me lose 6 lbs so far.

I believe that when you're not eating meat, you make healthier decisions in all aspects of your diet. Maybe it is a psychological thing, but I think it works.

And before you start telling me that I'm now lacking nutrients and protein, I get plenty of protein through supplements, protein powders, protein bars and I get all of my nutrients through various foods and vitamins.

If you are struggling to see lbs come off, I really think you should give this a try. Check through my diary if you'd like to see how I'm doing.

OP clearly states that calorie counting wasn't working for her alone, so she decided to try vegetarianism ON TOP of calorie counting.

She both recommends that others try this plan and PROMISES that it will work for them.

Do you see why people feel the need to point out that their own experiences with a vegetarian diet do not match the OP's? It's not about being mean. It's about offering an alternative viewpoint.

I personally ate a diet much healthier than the OP's (I checked your food diary) in terms of food choice while I was a vegetarian/vegan. Guess what? I was fat.

Very well said
  • dbanks80
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »

Very well said

And then the OP gets snarky when others challenge her. Don't post if you dont want well rounded feedback.
  • schelly81
    schelly81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I cannot unsee that food diary.
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    schelly81 wrote: »
    I cannot unsee that food diary.

Lol. This was my face - :open_mouth: