Replies

• bakingmadness
    bakingmadness Posts: 70 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    *sits down with a beer*

What are we talking about?

If I've learned anything in the last few weeks it's that you eat what you want. There are things I don't consume out of personal preference, and that's fine. I've not given up beer, doughnuts, Buffalo Wild Wings, pizza, cheese ... nothing. I'm just more aware of how much I'm consuming of everything because of my food logging.

Man, in another thread you mentioned waffles, now you're mentioning beer...something else I don't have, but want! Although I am at work..beer at work might not be a good idea.

*sits down with her chicken wings*

So, I eat what I want if it fits in my calorie range. That includes alcohol, ice cream, whatever. Not a huge beer fan, but they let us drink at work. HR actually gives us Rum, Brandy or Whiskey with our choice of Hot Cocoa, Egg Nog, or Apple Cider when we are doing the last minute holiday rush on the phones. As long as we can still take phone calls and make the customers happy, they don't mind.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    1 - anything you're allergic to

2 - anything you don't like to eat

3 - anything you have trouble eating reasonable portions of. (Once you've got your eating under control, add them back in, in reasonable portions.)
    For me, that's chips & cookies. I could eat a whole bag of either, feeling terribly guilty all the way. So I just have to not buy them, and when I'm at work I keep telling myself "NO!" very sternly. :angry: It usually works. Usually.

I eat what I like, in reasonable portions.
    I have ice cream, beer, chocolate, doughnuts, pizza, peanut butter...
    Not all at once, no. :dizzy_face: But they're all in my food diary.
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Things that you find the amount of calories not equal the amount of satisfaction. I've given up some things in my diet that are high in calories and are not even that tasty, like salad dressing. So many other options that are tastier and have much less calories.

I'll never give up things that might be high in calories but taste good and leave me satisfied: pizza, chinese food, sushi, chocolate, ice cream, donuts, chicken wings.....
  • coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    things with low nutrient to calorie ratios.....things like white bread, oil, butter, dairy, etc. Try to maximize the amount of nutrients in each bite of food. It's easy to lose weight if you do this (aka Dr. Fuhrman plan)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    cherith778 wrote: »
    If I was to cut a food completely out of my diet, what should it be? I.e chocolate, chips, energy drinks, ect.

Anything that's already been put in the trash.

Don't eat food from the trash.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    things with low nutrient to calorie ratios.....things like white bread, oil, butter, dairy, etc. Try to maximize the amount of nutrients in each bite of food. It's easy to lose weight if you do this (aka Dr. Fuhrman plan)

Pretty easy to lose weight if you're in a calorie deficit period.
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    cherith778 wrote: »
    If I was to cut a food completely out of my diet, what should it be? I.e chocolate, chips, energy drinks, ect.

Dont cut out anything unless you know you react to it..I have a long list of things I cant eat ifI want to lose weight..allergies..but you will find you will naturally not want to eat certain foods once you start replacing them with healthier alalternatives.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Nails, glass, wood shavings... etc
    and beets.. because they're nasty
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I moderate portions so haven't cut out anything. Having said that, I very rarely even buy chocolate/chips any more, it's just not worth the calories/money unless I specifically fancy them. It may be something you learn through time, or you may learn that you enjoy fitting them into your calories and it helps you stay on track :)
  • MaddyT122
    MaddyT122 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Nails, glass, wood shavings... etc
    and beets.. because they're nasty

I agree. Especially about the beets.

• Add713
    Add713 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    laciemn wrote: »
    I wouldn't say never, but not on a regular basis, or not more than a little, these foods usually don't seem worth the calories

Edit: I forgot the biggest one of all!

ALCOHOL
    Lattes, mochas, all that stuff
    Soda
    Juice
    Chocolate Milk
    Deep fried food
    Cookies
    Waffle / Pancakes / Cake / Pie
    Pasta
    Chips
    Crackers
    Doughnuts
    Candy bars
    Candy in general
    Extremely fatty meat (high % fat hamburger, sausage, pork ribs, etc)
    Heavy sauces with cream, butter, or mayo based (dressing also)

Some things that are better, but similar when craving snacks

Luigi's Italian ice (90)
    Slow churned low calorie ice cream (220 per cup)
    Honey graham crackers (130 for 2)
    Rice crackers (105 cals for 16)
    Animal crackers (140 for 20)
    Yogurt with sugar free pudding mix (tastes kind of like dessert) (150)
    Fun size candy bars (70-80)

NO NOT cut out candy, chocolate milk, cake, but most importantly NOT CANDY. Got to have chocolate. Snickers yummmmm. Seriously u do not need to give up anything u don't want too. Treats are worth the calories....
  • Add713
    Add713 Posts: 53 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

you do realize there is nothing wrong with eating diary...right?
    Yea go diary....
  • TMM211073
    TMM211073 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Nothing.... The only thing you should cut out of your diet is delusions - there is no such thing as bad food, just bad portion control, get to grips with portion control and do regular exercise and there is no need to change your diet.

xXx
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Foods you're allergic too. Otherwise, nothing.

and maybe the ones you can't stand.

• Luv2eatSweets
    Luv2eatSweets Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Add713 wrote: »

you do realize there is nothing wrong with eating diary...right?
    Yea go diary....

Gotta get me some of that....drooling
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    This is just my opinion, but i'd say stop eating foods that "call you" and have no nutrients or few nutrients, so if there is an item that you have very little self control around, don't bring it into the house. :#:#:# Some treats/foods create cravings and you may already know what you want to avoid.
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Cutting things out is a recipe for disaster for many people. If you like something, why get rid of it? Just learn how to eat proper portions of it.

A few things I struggle with are ice cream, potato chips, & Nutella. I've switched Nutella for PB2 and only buy ice cream and potato chips in single serving-type packaging. Ice cream bars and small bags of chips. This usually keeps me from being tempted by the entire container.

Find what works for you and do that. I guess if that means cutting things out, okay. Just know that it's not necessary to go to that extreme for weight loss or health.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I think you still need to get the right angle on what you cna and cant should or shouldnt eat.

MFP nothing off bounds and you shouldnt cut anything , but do make sure you log so you are at a calorie deficit using portion control, which is fine as far as it goes.

Every day you are then left with a certain amount of calories and its up to you how you spend them. You might find eating what your previously did wasnt healthy or that just eating smaller portions isnt satisfying, leaves you hungry.

If thats the case then you might want to switch some of your calories to more nutritious food. If you have spare calories left, then spend them on what you like including treats.

So my point is you cna have anything, but ask yourself if its worth the calories it costs you out of your allowance.