Paleo Diet/Way of Life

Options

Replies

• newjourney2015
    newjourney2015 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    There are so many different opinions about the Paleo lifestyle. It is just that - a lifestyle. It is not a diet in that you start and then once you achieve your weight loss goals you go off of it. I use the term "diet" to mean "what I consume." I started out eating "clean" and with that and a lot of research I realized my "diet" was actually more along the lines of the Paleo diet. I am not Paleo 100% of the time. My diet was mainly for health benefits and not strictly for weight loss. You can gain weight eating a Paleo diet! You still have to watch your calories. It can be restrictive but some of the types of foods you eliminate from your diet with the Paleo diet your body doesn't really need anyway. (I know some will disagree with me on that statement but it is my opinion and what has worked for me.)

Friend me if you'd like. My diary is open. Its not by any means perfect! I try to eat clean and Paleo most of the time.

Oh since I started eating Paleo 2 1/2 years ago, my overall cholesterol has improved from 240 to below 200 and all of my other categories that were getting into the questionable range have improved to normal.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    steve098 wrote: »
    A true Paleo Diet is composed of a lot of goat meat and fat, & a lot of seal meat and blubber. I think there is a thread around here on this very subject.

Like all food-only diets, if someone can keep it up for 5 years then they will get a gold star. Those people, however, if history is any indication, will be extremely few and far between.

Seal meat and blubber? Did everyone live near the sea in the paleolithic era?
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    There are no paleo foods in todays world. So, it's not the same thing.

Also, the idea of it is lame. Paleo people ate what was available to them. They didn't eat a specific diet, and the people from different regions had different diets, due to the food that was available.

Are you also going to eat grubs? Because Paleo people ate a lot of grubs.

no, there aren't paleo FOODS in our current world today but if you read about (and you obviously haven't) then you know it's not about eating what our ancestors ate. there is alot of science behind it, and it's not just a fad diet. the reason i asked how that comment was helpful is because the OP asked if anyone did paleo and if they had advice. if someone doesn't have advice for her, then why reply?

as for corn, glad you can eat it, but some of us can't and that is part of paleo - discovering which foods you can tolerate and which you can't. it doesn't say YOU CAN'T EVER EAT CORN AGAIN. it is about finding what works for you and avoiding foods which can cause reactions. most people can't tolerate corn but they don't realize it until it's gone from their diet.

no, there aren't paleo FOODS in our current world today but if you read about (and you obviously haven't) then you know it's not about eating what our ancestors ate. there is alot of science behind it, and it's not just a fad diet. the reason i asked how that comment was helpful is because the OP asked if anyone did paleo and if they had advice. if someone doesn't have advice for her, then why reply?

as for corn, glad you can eat it, but some of us can't and that is part of paleo - discovering which foods you can tolerate and which you can't. it doesn't say YOU CAN'T EVER EAT CORN AGAIN. it is about finding what works for you and avoiding foods which can cause reactions. most people can't tolerate corn but they don't realize it until it's gone from their diet.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    La5vega5girl,
    If there is a lot of science behind it please post something......anything.....(credible, not a blog or a book) to support your claim.

Most people CAN tolerate corn. People who have tummy issues would be better off trying the FODMAPS approach. It does have science behind it and I believe is why some people who go Paleo say that their GI problems improved. Removing grain and dairy also removes several FODMAPS. Finding out which FODMAPS are the problem would be a better approach that cutting out whole food groups.
  • philwrightfitness
    Options
    why not just eat at a moderate calorie deficit and move/work out more? Paleo is not some magical diet that is going to cure all your problems...

how is this helpful?

It is helpful because the reasons for eating paleo are important. Some people are not aware that it's just a different way of creating a deficit. It's not magic. And, this is really an important point, for the vast majority of people, it is NOT sustainable. And, every time I say that, 20 people come in and say they've been doing it for X years. Awesome. But, MOST people cannot keep it up. It's far too restrictive for normal everyday life.

Most people that are successful with it, have to do it due to dietary reasons. Like they can't eat diary or gluten, or something. But, people who can eat all that stuff have a really hard time with it.

If you simply, instead, prioritize protein and minimize carbs, without calling it anything but healthful eating, it's easier. Much easier. And, if you eat carbs, or corn, who cares. I love corn, and I think the reasoning is stupid. And, I dislike the name. There are no paleo foods in todays world. So, it's not the same thing.

Also, the idea of it is lame. Paleo people ate what was available to them. They didn't eat a specific diet, and the people from different regions had different diets, due to the food that was available.

you took the words right out of my mouth...

+2

Err except the human genome was set 100,000 years ago so what palaeolithic man ate regardless of its source is what your body is best programmed to consume, bugs? A source of protein, I doubt if you can find mammoth either , it's the principle not the detail, on a paleo diet human kind evolved to dominate the planet, grew larger, more intelligent, significantly increased its life span...on a modern diet...developed diabetes, cancer, obesity etc etc
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    People who have tummy issues would be better off trying the FODMAPS approach. It does have science behind it and I believe is why some people who go Paleo say that their GI problems improved. Removing grain and dairy also removes several FODMAPS. Finding out which FODMAPS are the problem would be a better approach that cutting out whole food groups.

Well, at least half of what's usually listed as common fodmap sources are paleo-friendly. From what I see, things like onion, garlic, avocados are eaten in abundance. Paleo or not I normally eat onion and garlic possibly every day. I'm actually trying to cut out fodmaps specifically at the moment for medical reasons and I can't understand how it's possible to live without garlic.

My theory is that usually people feel better on paleo simply because they begin cooking at home a lot and eating food with actual nutrients on a regular basis. (paleo or not, who would disagree that 99% of us would be healthier by doing just that?) I have never seen anyone eat paleo thinking they're trying to replicate how our ancestors ate, that's just what people who don't really know anything about it seems to think. Maybe that's how it originated but now paleo has just become a convenient way to describe a specific way of eating (and no it's not a "diet", you most definitely can gain weight eating paleo)

To answer OP's question: you should check out the paleo group here. On the main forums you'll never get real answers since people will think it's a dumb fad diet. Also I recommend nom nom paleo. http://nomnompaleo.com/paleo101

That being said, just know that it's very difficult to stick to unless you have health reasons to avoid certain foods or feel really strongly about eating that way. Especially with the upcoming holiday season.

so paleo is not a fad diet..?
  • cmira5ol
    cmira5ol Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I did it for 30 days last April. I lost 8lbs and had lots of energy. I tried to follow the 30 day guide to Paleo where it provides grocery list and a menu to follow per meal for 30 days, some dishes were good but not all.

Bottom line I missed beer, rice, and ice cream the most.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I ate paleo for the better part of the last month. I felt better, but didn't lose any weight, which would have been ideal for all the effort I was putting into it. I am planning to get back into it again tomorrow. :)
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    A true Paleo Diet is composed of a lot of goat meat and fat, & a lot of seal meat and blubber. I think there is a thread around here on this very subject.

Like all food-only diets, if someone can keep it up for 5 years then they will get a gold star. Those people, however, if history is any indication, will be extremely few and far between.

Kennewick man did- 9,000 years ago.

And ice Man was filled with goat meat- 5,000 years old.

The two best Paleo specimens we have.

Paleo specimens from the Neolithic era. Fascinating.

• Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    why not just eat at a moderate calorie deficit and move/work out more? Paleo is not some magical diet that is going to cure all your problems...

how is this helpful?

It is helpful because the reasons for eating paleo are important. Some people are not aware that it's just a different way of creating a deficit. It's not magic. And, this is really an important point, for the vast majority of people, it is NOT sustainable. And, every time I say that, 20 people come in and say they've been doing it for X years. Awesome. But, MOST people cannot keep it up. It's far too restrictive for normal everyday life.

Most people that are successful with it, have to do it due to dietary reasons. Like they can't eat diary or gluten, or something. But, people who can eat all that stuff have a really hard time with it.

If you simply, instead, prioritize protein and minimize carbs, without calling it anything but healthful eating, it's easier. Much easier. And, if you eat carbs, or corn, who cares. I love corn, and I think the reasoning is stupid. And, I dislike the name. There are no paleo foods in todays world. So, it's not the same thing.

you took the words right out of my mouth...

+2

Err except the human genome was set 100,000 years ago so what palaeolithic man ate regardless of its source is what your body is best programmed to consume, bugs? A source of protein, I doubt if you can find mammoth either , it's the principle not the detail, on a paleo diet human kind evolved to dominate the planet, grew larger, more intelligent, significantly increased its life span...on a modern diet...developed diabetes, cancer, obesity etc etc

Actually it's not really correct to say that the human genome was set 100,000 years ago and therefore we are all best programmed to consume the diet at the time. Read about copy number variants of the human salivary amylase gene.

http://www.nature.com/ng/journal/v39/n10/abs/ng2123.html

Populations who eat more starch tend to have more copies of the salivary amylase gene to help them digest starch. This is considered to be a recent evolutionary event.
  • sheahughes
    sheahughes Posts: 133 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Ha ha ha. This made me snort...

Grubs, slugs, wild mushrooms that may or may not be toxic. Are you also going to spend most of your day searching for and catching/killing your food? Are you going to consume only what you can find each day and what you have managed to stockpile away from predators, pests and of course, decay? Are you happy to wear clothing made from the skins of animals you slaughtered or stripped when you found a carcass? Are you happy to live in a home that is little more than a cave or dirt mound over a bone framework? Are you happy and willing to travel seasonally to stay with the herds that are your main food source?

Are you looking forward to a lifespan of 30 odd years maximum? Paleolithic times were hard and the diet was just as hard - they ate what they could find/catch/kill and lived with the consequences - poisoning, disease, worms, food poisoning and of course, the dangers involved with the hunter/gatherer lifestyle.

I love when people idolise historical times lifestyles - they were certainly interesting but not necessarily better than our current lifestyle.

Also - no. I have lost only a couple kilos during my time on MFP. However, I don't blame that on my non-paleo diet. My weight-loss and/or gain is solely on me.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    People who have tummy issues would be better off trying the FODMAPS approach. It does have science behind it and I believe is why some people who go Paleo say that their GI problems improved. Removing grain and dairy also removes several FODMAPS. Finding out which FODMAPS are the problem would be a better approach that cutting out whole food groups.

Well, at least half of what's usually listed as common fodmap sources are paleo-friendly. From what I see, things like onion, garlic, avocados are eaten in abundance. Paleo or not I normally eat onion and garlic possibly every day. I'm actually trying to cut out fodmaps specifically at the moment for medical reasons and I can't understand how it's possible to live without garlic.

Apparently it's possible to make a garlic infused oil. I don't need to avoid FODMAPS, but I do like the sound of the oil.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

My theory is that usually people feel better on paleo simply because they begin cooking at home a lot and eating food with actual nutrients on a regular basis. (paleo or not, who would disagree that 99% of us would be healthier by doing just that?) I have never seen anyone eat paleo thinking they're trying to replicate how our ancestors ate, that's just what people who don't really know anything about it seems to think. Maybe that's how it originated but now paleo has just become a convenient way to describe a specific way of eating (and no it's not a "diet", you most definitely can gain weight eating paleo)

To answer OP's question: you should check out the paleo group here. On the main forums you'll never get real answers since people will think it's a dumb fad diet. Also I recommend nom nom paleo. http://nomnompaleo.com/paleo101

That being said, just know that it's very difficult to stick to unless you have health reasons to avoid certain foods or feel really strongly about eating that way. Especially with the upcoming holiday season.

I agree with your idea about why some feel better on paleo, which leads to the question, why pretend it's about paleo.

I also find it insulting that you suggest most people, or people not doing paleo, don't cook or eat foods with nutrients. I generally have (even while getting fat), so there's nothing about the difference between how I eat now and "paleo" that would make me feel better based on that aspect of paleo. So instead the question is whether grains or dairy or legumes or nightshade so make me feel bad. They seem not to.

I do like some of the paleo cooking sites for the same reason I like some vegetarian cooking sites--good recipes ideas. Nom nom paleo is one.
  • tracylbrown839
    tracylbrown839 Posts: 84 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    syren527 wrote: »
    So...my diet has been like a rollercoaster ride. It has had it's ups and it's downs...and now I am looking for a change in my eating habits. I have googled the Paleo Diet and this is something that I am interesting in doing.

If any of you MFPers have changed to the Paleo way of life, can you give me some pointers/advice? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated :smiley:

So, even though this response may draw a number of negative comments, I'm going to post it anyway.

Paleo diet ranks "last" on a list of diets when a group of nutritionists and dieticians got together to look at diet styles.

Why is this? One of the reasons is that it is very restrictive and so long term compliance with this diet is quite difficult.

That said, some people have done very well on this diet and swear by it.

However, you specifically say that your diet has been like a rollercoaster ride and so "sticking with" an eating plan has been very difficult for you.

In your instance, thus, I would not recommend it.

It's a popular diet at the moment, to be sure, but few scientists and dieticians recommend it.

Likely, you would be better off to simply stick with your calorie budget, to start with, and if you are interested in changing your "diet style", do so slowly, over time, by simply trading something that you normally eat for something more nutritious. (eg. if you normally drink a cola every day, try trading that cola for a glass of water 3 times a week). Slowly, altering habits, over time, can gradually lead you to better nutritional habits.

Here is a ranked list of diets from a panel of people who make nutrition and food their specialty. So, if you feel that you really need a plan to follow, I would go with one of their top 5 or 6 recommendations, personally, rather than a diet that ranks last on their list. This should provide some good reading for you to follow up on.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/07/best-diets-worst-us-news_n_4549208.html

It's really hard to beat the advice of top notch places like the Mayo Clinic, and the Mediterranean diet, which are very well proven and accepted, over time.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

What is your point?

You almost make me want to argue for the paleo diet. It's disturbing.
  • Lady_violet_
    Options
    sheahughes wrote: »

Grubs, slugs, wild mushrooms that may or may not be toxic. Are you also going to spend most of your day searching for and catching/killing your food? Are you going to consume only what you can find each day and what you have managed to stockpile away from predators, pests and of course, decay? Are you happy to wear clothing made from the skins of animals you slaughtered or stripped when you found a carcass? Are you happy to live in a home that is little more than a cave or dirt mound over a bone framework? Are you happy and willing to travel seasonally to stay with the herds that are your main food source?

Are you looking forward to a lifespan of 30 odd years maximum? Paleolithic times were hard and the diet was just as hard - they ate what they could find/catch/kill and lived with the consequences - poisoning, disease, worms, food poisoning and of course, the dangers involved with the hunter/gatherer lifestyle.

I love when people idolise historical times lifestyles - they were certainly interesting but not necessarily better than our current lifestyle.

Also - no. I have lost only a couple kilos during my time on MFP. However, I don't blame that on my non-paleo diet. My weight-loss and/or gain is solely on me.

I think most of ppl here are to focused on the history aspect of paleo, rather than the actual benefits you get from it.

If you think that eating 1200cal of a diet fo vegs, fuits and meat is the same as one of diet shakes and diet cola, well... It's not just calorie defecit that matters, it's also the quality of the food
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,921 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

What is your point?

You almost make me want to argue for the paleo diet. It's disturbing.
    lol.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,921 Member
    Options
    syren527 wrote: »
    So...my diet has been like a rollercoaster ride. It has had it's ups and it's downs...and now I am looking for a change in my eating habits. I have googled the Paleo Diet and this is something that I am interesting in doing.

If any of you MFPers have changed to the Paleo way of life, can you give me some pointers/advice? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated :smiley:

So, even though this response may draw a number of negative comments, I'm going to post it anyway.

Paleo diet ranks "last" on a list of diets when a group of nutritionists and dieticians got together to look at diet styles.

Why is this? One of the reasons is that it is very restrictive and so long term compliance with this diet is quite difficult.

That said, some people have done very well on this diet and swear by it.

However, you specifically say that your diet has been like a rollercoaster ride and so "sticking with" an eating plan has been very difficult for you.

In your instance, thus, I would not recommend it.

It's a popular diet at the moment, to be sure, but few scientists and dieticians recommend it.

Likely, you would be better off to simply stick with your calorie budget, to start with, and if you are interested in changing your "diet style", do so slowly, over time, by simply trading something that you normally eat for something more nutritious. (eg. if you normally drink a cola every day, try trading that cola for a glass of water 3 times a week). Slowly, altering habits, over time, can gradually lead you to better nutritional habits.

Here is a ranked list of diets from a panel of people who make nutrition and food their specialty. So, if you feel that you really need a plan to follow, I would go with one of their top 5 or 6 recommendations, personally, rather than a diet that ranks last on their list. This should provide some good reading for you to follow up on.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/07/best-diets-worst-us-news_n_4549208.html

It's really hard to beat the advice of top notch places like the Mayo Clinic, and the Mediterranean diet, which are very well proven and accepted, over time.

Which of the 21 Countries that surround the Mediterranean are they referring to when talking about the diet, curious?

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

I think most of ppl here are to focused on the history aspect of paleo, rather than the actual benefits you get from it.

If you think that eating 1200cal of a diet fo vegs, fuits and meat is the same as one of diet shakes and diet cola, well... It's not just calorie defecit that matters, it's also the quality of the food

This is my problem with the whole paleo diet. I live on a farm. Our meat is about 80% raised or hunted by us. About 90% of our vegetables and fruit are homegrown.

Most of what I eat would not fit the paleo diet. My homemade salsa is bad because it's full of nightshades. My freshly grown corn it bad because it's corn. My stuffed peppers are bad because they contain rice and are stuffed in a nightshade. My venison chili? Yep, nightshades again. My homegrown beans are bad because they are legumes. The venison is probably even bad, since so many hunters put out corn feeders to bait the deer.

It's ridiculous. I mean, eat whatever makes you happy, but the suggestion that all this delicious homegrown and wild food is bad is just silly. It's not.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

LOL Here we go ...why is it always one extreme to the other? So if you are not doing Paleo then you are eating a diet that consists of shakes and diet coke? Please.

What some of us are saying, myself included, is that you do not need a restrictive diet like Paleo to lose weight, but at the same time no one is saying get 100% of your calories from shakes and burgers. What we are saying is that you can eat about 80% healthy and then fill in the rest with ice cream, shakes, cookies, etc, which is more of a balanced approach, which will lead to consistent, long term success.

Basically, eat the foods you want, create a calorie deficit, and exercise/move more...

you don't need to eat like a caveman or some blubber eater from 10,000 years ago to lose weight...