FED UP - The documentary, know more about food!

Options
1234568»

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Wow - firstly refined sugar is not the same as fructose. .

No it is not. Sugar that has been refined from cane or beets is sucrose which takes longer to break down in your system because it is a disaccharide (2 different types of sugar make up the molecule, in the case of cane or beet sugar it is fructose and glucose). Fructose hits your system quicker because it is a monosaccharide. (This is why it is best to give someone having a hypoglycemic episode fructose in the form of fruit juice or glucose tablets, because it hit the system quicker and spikes the blood sugar faster than sucrose, corn syrup, or honey)
    Fructose best treatment for hypoglycemia? You sure?

Yeah, that doesn't sound right to me either, at least for all cases. It depends on what is causing the hypoglycemia. I was diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia when I was 12 and had to go to the school nurse all the time from junior high through high school because of sugar crashes. I was supposed to eat complex carbs or something with carbs and protein together. Another kid had juvenile diabetes and was often in there at the same time as I was. He got to have Coke for his low sugar.

For diabetics, best is the one that you can get the easiest and in you the fastest :D It's highly situational. Generally though anything which is a liquid sugar is desirable, be it juice or full fat pop. I never have these in the house though, I just jump for anything sugary and lie there until I can move again. If I ever got myself into a serious pickle I have a glycogen kit in the fridge which would be the fastest treatment. Simple sugars would then be followed up by a more complex carb so you don't spike as hard and have a reactive hypo.

Agreed I watched my brother go through this about 2 years ago...we had to wait at a resturant tooooo long after he took his insulin...he needs 2 large glasses of orange juice before he could talk, move, stopped sweating and could see again...

highly situational....because I've seen him down a chocolate bar like a women pmsing x10...

and when we were kids we had liquid sugar everywhere in the house....it looked like a glue bottle...

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    so we went from sugar is evil to clean food discussion..and apparently the tomato sauce I make at home with veggies I grow in my garden isn't clean...okay gotcha...

*kicks compost pile to the curb cause I won't be growing no more veggies*

'clean eating' is just a phase!!! does 'one ingredient' food sound better?? but dont get confused, you can use 'one ingredient's together so you can still make your homemade tomato sauce with your veggies! just make sure you clean the veggies first yeah? dont want a batch of soil in the sauce! although could make it organic maybe?

Wait, what? Using one ingredient foods together means that a food is still clean?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    50sFit wrote: »
    Anything processed is going to be loaded with salt, sugar and fat.

The oatmeal I ate this morning has no "salt, sugar, and fat," and yet it's processed. The meat I get from a local farm has plenty of fat, though, and the milk from the same farm has fat AND sugar (lactose). I personally add some salt and pepper to the meat when I cook it, because I think it tastes better that way.

If lactose doesn't count, I often buy greek yogurt (from a grocery store in a carton) that has no other sugar or fat, the absence of fat being a sign that it's super extra processed.

So on.

Also, rather than arbitrarily cutting out processed items, there's a pretty easy way I've heard of to find out what's in them, if you care.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    50sFit wrote: »
    Anything processed is going to be loaded with salt, sugar and fat.

The oatmeal I ate this morning has no "salt, sugar, and fat," and yet it's processed. The meat I get from a local farm has plenty of fat, though, and the milk from the same farm has fat AND sugar (lactose). I personally add some salt and pepper to the meat when I cook it, because I think it tastes better that way.

If lactose doesn't count, I often buy greek yogurt (from a grocery store in a carton) that has no other sugar or fat, the absence of fat being a sign that it's super extra processed.

So on.

Also, rather than arbitrarily cutting out processed items, there's a pretty easy way I've heard of to find out what's in them, if you care.
    I care 30% - lol
    I admitted that life is also to be lived in that we should not be too Nazi with our food intake.
    I eat clean most of the time as defined: leans meats, nuts, raw dairy, whole grains and fresh fruits and veggies. That works for me not just for mere weight loss but optimal health and peak fitness.
  • MagicalGiraffe
    MagicalGiraffe Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Wow - firstly refined sugar is not the same as fructose. .

No it is not. Sugar that has been refined from cane or beets is sucrose which takes longer to break down in your system because it is a disaccharide (2 different types of sugar make up the molecule, in the case of cane or beet sugar it is fructose and glucose). Fructose hits your system quicker because it is a monosaccharide. (This is why it is best to give someone having a hypoglycemic episode fructose in the form of fruit juice or glucose tablets, because it hit the system quicker and spikes the blood sugar faster than sucrose, corn syrup, or honey)
    Fructose best treatment for hypoglycemia? You sure?

Yeah, that doesn't sound right to me either, at least for all cases. It depends on what is causing the hypoglycemia. I was diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia when I was 12 and had to go to the school nurse all the time from junior high through high school because of sugar crashes. I was supposed to eat complex carbs or something with carbs and protein together. Another kid had juvenile diabetes and was often in there at the same time as I was. He got to have Coke for his low sugar.

For diabetics, best is the one that you can get the easiest and in you the fastest :D It's highly situational. Generally though anything which is a liquid sugar is desirable, be it juice or full fat pop. I never have these in the house though, I just jump for anything sugary and lie there until I can move again. If I ever got myself into a serious pickle I have a glycogen kit in the fridge which would be the fastest treatment. Simple sugars would then be followed up by a more complex carb so you don't spike as hard and have a reactive hypo.

Agreed I watched my brother go through this about 2 years ago...we had to wait at a resturant tooooo long after he took his insulin...he needs 2 large glasses of orange juice before he could talk, move, stopped sweating and could see again...

highly situational....because I've seen him down a chocolate bar like a women pmsing x10...

and when we were kids we had liquid sugar everywhere in the house....it looked like a glue bottle...
    I agree Orange juice is awesome for sure. My mother has it in her fridge at all times which is off limits to anyone who goes there. Add a tbls of sugar to a cup and you're golden.

The chocolate is okay imo but the absorption rate diminishes with the fat.

Rice krispies treat now that's a nice back up plan to have around.

The problem I have with liquid sugar when having a hypo is that it's easy to drink more than you need and overtreat the hypo, whilst taking in a buttload of calories since it's not something you can easily measure out whilst you're hypo. Also having the munchies can be a common symptom, so even after you have that juice you're still going to be craving for something to eat! I most often have a cereal bar, since I know it is X amount of calories, and X amount of carbs therefore should increase my blood sugar by X amount. Also I can count the amount of wrappers afterwards to see how many I ate! I should probably get small juice boxes in for those situations where I can't get myself downstairs but so I can still control the calories I'm eating and know how many carbs I'm ingesting.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I want M&Ms now.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

What in the world is full fat pop? Because pop = soda. And last I check, there wasn't any fat floating around in my soda.

• MagicalGiraffe
    MagicalGiraffe Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

What in the world is full fat pop? Because pop = soda. And last I check, there wasn't any fat floating around in my soda.

In the UK that's what we call regular soda as opposed to diet soda. We're aware that it has no more fat in it than diet, it's just a term we use! It may even be regional but I'm not sure on that.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Okay, I didn't need that visual!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

In the UK that's what we call regular soda as opposed to diet soda. We're aware that it has no more fat in it than diet, it's just a term we use! It may even be regional but I'm not sure on that.
    Good to know... it freaked me out at first.
  • EmpireBusiness
    EmpireBusiness Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I think I am going to make a documentary called Fed Up Ultimate in which I discuss how fed up I a am with documentaries telling me what to eat based off of opinions pseudoscience, poor case studies, weak trials and a touch of real science all jumbled together. As someone in research, I am highly aware of how much bullsh!ttery goes into many of these things. I'll never trust a documentary for anything more than entertainment.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    there were just a couple of healthy clean food examples but heres a list of foods which you eat that are 'clean' foods:

Chicken
    Turkey
    Fish
    Mackerel
    Herring
    Prawns
    brown rice
    wholemeal/grain bread
    rye bread
    brown pasta
    peas
    carrots
    kale
    spinach
    mushrooms
    natural peanut butter
    greek yogurt
    oatmeal
    peanuts
    cashews
    pecans
    the phase 'clean food' means a type of food source with one ingredient. so any food that hasnt been messed with or had things added to it before you buy. that comes in its natural form.

lol I dont decide nothing this is stuff I have learned and Im sure many other people know about too. I love learning about food and nutrition. I always read about the key to losing weight is 20% exercise and 80% healthy food intake. I believe in that. Only sharing my opinion and beliefs.

Where are you finding single ingredient bread, pasta, and Greek yogurt? Is there such a thing as a bread plant?

Sorry. . .'messed with' reminds me of Catholic Priest. So these items are okay as long as a Priest hasn't messed with them? What if the Priest grew the corn that was fed to the turkey? Can we assume the corn was clean or NOT GMO grown?

When you say added to it before I buy it?!? What does this mean?

And natural peanut butter has peanuts and sea salt so doe this count or do I need to remove the sea salt?