WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2014

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Hi all!
    Happy dance! I've lost one of the pounds I put on in NYC! So now I'm less than half a pound up on my fighting weight. :drinker:
    Ive been going it on the exercise since I got back so I deserve it :tongue: , but I have been eating every single calorie back. I wnt to lose those few oz by Friday so I can eat DS' s lovely cooking. (He used to be a chef at uni to earn money)

Going to book the Oxford trip today. :bigsmile:

Meg- I'm sorry you are feeling so fed up with the new format. I hated it at first, but I've managed to find all the things I want. I normally post on my Android tablet and that remembers the emoticons for me, I only have to type in the first letter. I also copied the code for my ticker and just paste it each time. Katla and Barbie are cresting a word document with the ticker and their sayings on it so they don't have to retype each time. I love the photo facility. Have you tried Chrome?

Kim - congrats on the successful yoghourt! We eat it every day and love it.

Janet - welcome! You have a lot to deal with. I do hope your husband continues to improve. I had cancer seven years ago, but only stage 2. Very best wishes. :flowerforyou:
    Heart healthy diets often include a lot of fish oil. I take cod liver oil. My chlorestorol is good, but I'm sure it is genetic. Unfortunately my blood pressure is also genetic and would be high without medication. When I lost weight I hoped it would go down, but it is the same - but it is well controlled. I can't give up my salt though, like Sylvia. :noway:

Yanniejannie - you are Gwen's angel! :flowerforyou: A fund raiser in a pizzeria ! ! ! ! ! Over here it's always tea and cakes! Whichever it's fattening! :noway:

I'm having steel cut oats and avocado for lunch. Not together! :laugh:
    Sea bass with cabbage and bacon for dinner.

Love from Heather in gloomy Hampshire UK
    27681614.png
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,785 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    have been sleeping alot which I dont think is good. I am sleeping between 10 and 10 1/2 hrs a night..I really have to get up in moving, you fall into a rut and it is hard to get back in the swing.. im going to get out and walk this morning.. and try and get back to the gym,
    I am still trying to eat well but get into things I shouldnt so will be a little more dillegent.
    Joyce~ love the pictures hope your having a wonderful time in Florida.. I cant wait to go but we wont be leaving until December 13th..
    I got called for jury duty i havent been called up in about 25 yrs..but I am going to postpone ,because we will be leaving for florida a week after the jury date.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,970 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    smiley-happy093.gif On my computer I can increase the size of the font by clicking Control (CTRL) and the plus sign and then get it back to regular size by clicking control and the minus sign

smiley-happy093.gifthe cog for editing shows up at the top right corner of your post for only an hour after you post and when you click on it, it will tell you how long you have to edit.

:) The stars for bookmarking are at the top of each page of the thread....the bell tells you about posts that have been made since you last posted......it helped me to click on things to see what they did

:) About tickers--Home Page--Apps--Tickers--get code for ticker---copy and paste the BB code--I copied my code to the document I keep on my desktop to compose my reply so it is always there.

Does anyone know what the icon "flag" next to "quote" means? I'm afraid to click on it in case it means the same thing as "report post" on the old format.

:):) I went for my eye exam yesterday---it has been over two years--we went to a new place (a lot less expensive for new glasses than the last one)---the eye doctor was awesome----I broke my glasses months ago and didn't want to spend the money for new ones so I'd been wearing the previous ones so my eyesight was pretty lousy---my new glasses will be ready in about ten days and have frames with a tiny bit of purple

<3 Barbie from beautiful NW Washington smiley-happy093.gif

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

My word for 2014 is “mindful”

October Resolutions
    *walk 18,000 steps a day
    *act the way I want to feel
    *strength training twice a week
    * answer the letter to my friend that I've been putting off too long

146200.png
  • DebinMelbourne
    DebinMelbourne Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Just checking in to say thanks for all the compliments on my 'transformation'. Realistically, I only had about 45 pounds to lose, that crept on after menopause and two broken ankles. What I have really enjoyed is getting into Pilates, and going to the gym. It's become a family affair because I take my 27 year old blind son, and my 21 year old daughter who is too lazy to get her driver's license. Family discount FTW.

Struggling to reach my October goal of burning an average of 500 calories daily, but I'm giving it a red-hot go. The dog is getting plenty of walks, that's for sure.

Cheers from Deb in Melbourne.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,083 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Thanks Barbie for the info on how to enlarge your post. I clicked on your running guy and it sent me to a site where you can get free icons. Are you happy with this site overall? Once you down load them how do you access them.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Barbie,

Those smilies are really fun! I have to try one...

big-smiley-003.gif

It was 45 degrees today, and I feel like I'm coming down with something, so I drove the kids to school again. Or maybe I'm just finding excuses. Not sure, but anyway when I got there two out of three were not even wearing a jacket, so then I felt like I had to drive. They would have to go all the way back to the 6th floor to get their jackets. But we did park and go say hello to the kitties, so DGD#2 was happy.

Then I came to the studio and unloaded the kiln and loaded it back up again. I brought left over chicken and sweet potatoes for my lunch and bread, peanut butter and jelly for hubby's.

Someone (was it Cynthia?) was saying she had slid backwards a little. Well, I have too. I had hit an all-time low (185.8) a couple of months ago and held it for three days, then bounced back up to 189.6, and hovered there for a long, long time, before settling down to 187.something, and there I stayed. I had been eating out more, and although I tried to make good choices, it still had more salt than I want. And, if I'm going to be honest, I had ice cream more often than I used to, too. When I got back from my little trip with my friends, I was at 187.8. So, since Sunday I have only eaten at home and this morning I was at 186.0. Hmmm. Do you think there is a connection between eating at home and losing weight? I knew that, didn't I? It's that kind of lazy-minded backsliding that got me to 300 pounds. So, I have nipped that in the bud! Hubby is the one who wants to go out to eat all the time, so now he will just have to go by himself. I think he's tired of the low-salt, low-fat, low-enjoyment diet. Come to think about it, I think he started wanting to go out to eat about the time I got tired of cooking two meals, one with salt and one without.

Well, I have a lot to do today, so I'd better get busy. I hope you are having a great day.

Sylvia
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday morning :bigsmile:

I haven't been down to the garden in a couple of days, but I did get the garlic planted on Sunday. 180 cloves all tucked in their rows and watered, thanks to the rain. Katla, we buy our garlic "seed" at Portland Nursery, there's one on Stark, and one on Division. Most years we plant using our own seed but every so often we try a new variety. Inchelium Red is our favorite.

This morning I'd better think about doing some pickling. I brought home a bunch of sweet cherry peppers and serranos on Sunday, they've been sitting in a tub in the garage. Also have a dozen or so fresh apples to slice for the dehydrator. Dried apples are such a nice little treat at night.

I made it down to the track on Monday, first time in ages, walked fast for 2 miles, trotting a little from time to time. Then yesterday I did aerobics in the living room before an early dentist appt. My legs were awfully sore on Monday, but I can feel they're getting used to the increased activity now. Working up a good sweat every day (or most) is imperative for me at this stage of the game. Gardening is great work, but it's certainly not cardio.

Doing better with logging foods again, yay! Summer pounds have got to go. :grumble:

Speaking of going, time for me to scoot. I'm in the process of cleaning out my sock drawer which looks like it's been through a tornado! :huh:

Have a good day everyone.

jb in rainy Portland :glasses:

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,785 Member
    Options
    well here I am, went for a short walk only a mile and a half but at least it is something.. only thing is when I go to work at 1, all I do is graze,grumble so will have to watch that, I am over the 1200 calorie today,but cooked a good supper that will fill me up and i wont be snacking afterward..
    working all day for the other assistant on monday she is taking it off. 3 of the girls take days off here and there, I save mine up so that I can have a true vacation..because by the end of the year I NEED it
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Barbie...the flag next to "quote" is used for reporting someone. If you click on it, it will give you 3 options for flagging: spam, abuse, report. Then MFP will follow up.

Btw, if anyone does not know the rules about posting on forums, etc. they are available. I will try to find the link.

I am also getting used to the new format. I like the feature that no longer cuts us off at 500 posts. And where you can find how many have posted since your last post.

Will check back with you all later.

Renny
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday! Well I am working today and will get off at 1 so can pick DGD up at school at 2. This has been an interesting week as when I take her to school I have to walk her up so the teacher sees her and when I pick her up they have to see me to let her go. I understand this is not all bad, but I remember when our boys were in school they walked to and from school alone. Yesterday after school I tried to teach DGD to knit. I didn't realize how hard it would be as she is left handed and I am right handed. But we got it figured out and have a blanket started for her baby. My eating has not been good and not sure what is going on. Seems in the evening the food talks to me.

Carol--Congrates on getting rid of the boot and not having to have surgery.

Heather--your upcoming trip sounds delightful. When in Nov is your anniversary? Our 30th is Nov 3rd.

Janet--Welcome and prayers for DH. You have alot going on so please take some time for you.

Renny--My mom's numbers are high and she is on alot of meds and alot of it is because of family history. So far mine has come down under 200 since losing weight and with meds.

Barbie--your new glasses sound pretty. I really like purple and my last ones had the purple frame. I am not happy with the ones I have, but stuck till next Oct. as our insurance only pays for new frames every two years.

It was down right cold this morning at 37 degrees. It is to get up to 75 today so planning a walk with the dogs after work and getting the trim up around my rock garden. Then this evening is Bible study and the subject is forgiviness so really want to go. Not sure what DGD will do so have to figure that out. DH says they have other things going on at the church for young kids so have to check that out. Hugs to all and remember we are not in this alone.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Hello Lovely Ladies,

Just stopping in to say hello and I'm thinking of you. We will be leaving for Savannah this weekend. We will see what a good little traveler Brian is, he does like to ride in the car. We will see how he likes the hotel, our room is more of a suite so hopefully he will be a good boy. The old pug girl pretty much sleeps wherever she is, I am always surprised that she is still with us. She has an iron will to live at over 15 years of age.

I am still maintaining 14-16 pounds lost, so happy about that. I hope not to bring more pounds home from our trip, but I will enjoy myself at the same time.

Best wishes to all of you!
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Here is my beautiful little guy.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Sylvia: I love the joke. Where did you get your turkey chili recipe? DH might like it and so might I. I love Rotel tomatoes. I haven’t found them in the store for a while. I’ll look at Walmart, but we have a little store that doesn’t stock a full compliment of items. Regarding salt: I leave it out while cooking and add it at the table. I don’t leave it out of baking, but tend to reduce it some. I really don’t bake very often. DH is the one with sodium issues, so he doesn’t complain. He uses salt substitute at the table, which is potassium chloride. :flowerforyou:

Barbie: Your friends here think you’re a brilliant and supportive leader because that is who you are. People who have never had a weight problem, or have never lost weight only to regain it, do not understand what it takes for some of us to stay healthy. :noway:

Carol: I’m happy to hear that you’re doing so much better that you can say goodbye to the boot. What is the downside to low heels? :huh: There are lovely shoes out there that look fine with dressy clothes and don’t kiil your poor feet. Good luck with leading the women’s group. I think you’ll do an amazing job and be a huge success. :flowerforyou:

Janet: Welcome! Are you from Boise? It is a lovely city. :flowerforyou:

Robin: Congratulations on purging your closet. I did mine last spring, but I still kept a lot of things that I’ll never wear again, mostly for sentimental reasons. I know that getting rid of them would lighten the clutter load around here.:ohwell: :flowerforyou:

Tallen: Welcome back. Stick around. :flowerforyou:

Meg: I’m thinking of wearing magnifying glasses. They need to do some tweaking of this new format. I’m not a user of chrome. :flowerforyou:

Heather: I still haven’t taken action on our passports. My life seems too full at the moment, and I know that is just an excuse. If I can find time to stop by here, play cards, and read novels, I can find time to get the passport application done. :flowerforyou:

Renny: I like your doctor’s sensible advice about the cholesterol issue. :flowerforyou:

Michele: We don’t’ live anywhere near a Y. When I was a kid, I went there for swimming lessons and have good memories of it. I wonder if it is still active in my old hometown. :flowerforyou:

Kim: I’m glad you stopped by. I’ve missed your posts. Is your drought easing at all? We’ve had a few days of rain recently. :flowerforyou:

JB: Thanks for the garlic information. If I plant garlic, I’ll have to tuck it in here and there because I really have no space for rows. I think it would be fun to grow. I love Portland Nursery, and we used to go there when we went to see DH’s acupuncturist. We haven’t gone to the acupuncturist in months due to his current medical issues. :flowerforyou:

City meeting last night that lasted a long time, and another tonight. I’m late to yoga! I guess I'll miss it today. I just don't have what it takes to rush off this morning. :ohwell: :flowerforyou:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

October Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!

30881843.png
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Katla, I just use the Williams Chili seasoning mix, tomato paste, water, black beans, kidney beans, and I usually put in a few of my salsa peppers from the garden to spice it up, but now I can add the no-salt Rotel. (I grind up the peppers and tomatoes in the blender because hubby doesn't like chunks. I like to use the ground white meat turkey breast, but hubby likes it better with beef. When he learns to cook he can make it his way! I make low-salt cornbread to go with it. Yummy. I don't care for the salt substitute for some reason. It seems metallic or something.

Here is today's joke of the day:

:smile:

Two classmates were chatting in their lunch break...

"I know how to get money real quick" says one,” how?"

"go to your dad and say, "I know the truth" and he'll give you money"

So the young boy went home and said "dad, I know the truth" and

his dad gave him ten dollars and told him not to tell anyone 'the truth'.

He then went to his mother, " Mom, I know the truth” he said.

"Please don't tell your dad" she said and gave him twenty dollars.

Content with thirty dollars he went outside to go to the arcade and saw the milkman. "I know the truth,” he shouted out.

The milkman replied "Well come and hug your real father then"

smiley-laughing025.gif

Back to work!

Sylvia
  • jeanniebeanie59
    jeanniebeanie59 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies, I love this group!!
    funny joke Sylvia!
    Gotta go to town and get hubby a b-day gift ...sticking to my food ...will try and get a walk in before the rain comes. So looking forward to some rain ...been in a drought for sev years now in N.Cal...had lots of wildfires near me also!
    Come on rain!! Everyone have a great day!
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies,

Today I tackle the family room. Every day I clear clutter the more in control I feel. I also credit the medication but I will take some of the credit myself. :tongue:

It is a dreary rainy day. Perfect for house cleaning.

Robin, Bodi and Ritter.
    PNW
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    DH and DS and I had a fun time at the grocery store last night. I stocked up on lean meat, veggies, and fruit. The other 2 spent the rest of my money on home-made pizza supplies. I only ate the smallest piece, so that feels like a win. Today I am going alone to another store for kale. Anyone have any good kale chips recipes that you like? I tried olive oil and salt, and found it very bland.

Make it a great day!

Terri in (cloudy and cool) Milwaukee
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,651 Member
    Options
    I read the new John Grisham Sycamore Row - and would highly recommend it; it has all the typical Grisham style with a very interesting involved story, that has some interesting history in it.

Heather - I think I am going to make the zucchini tots as an appetizer, re-read the recipe and wondered if you did them in the mini muffin pans or if you do them in little blobs as she is recommending now?

Alison – I just got my jury summons too! Yuck. I get them every other year.. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Barbie – new glasses !!! exciting, I need some too. :smile:

Sylvia- I do low salt, not as low as you, but add a lot of herbs to help punch the flavor up … my favorite go to book is The Flavor Bible and you look up a item like Chicken and it will list all the good things (herbs, veggies, fruit) that go with it.

Jb – good to see you, I ordered garlic for the first time and should plant it this weekend….

Renny - I do like the feature that gets you back to where you were when you last posted !!! and I figured out a book mark yesterday….

Cindy – enjoy your trip!

Carol – congrats on boot free living! I only wear low heels or flats, and while I have to work a bit more to find something I like, I am also very picky about style and price.

Katla – thanks- I missed you all! We had a light sprinkle last night, but really not enough to even cut back on watering…. Grrrr! And the temps in the 80’s during the day are not helping

Jeannie beanie – I am with you – let it rain! :sweat_smile: they call this sweat smile, but I'm calling it walking in the rain giggle

Robin – You get ALL of the credit, as you took the initiative to go to the dr, go to the pharmacy, take the meds, and clean…. ALL about you!!! GREAT job.

Terri – I do the olive oil, and spices…. mexican, or asian, or Indian…. What ever combo you like…

October Goals:
    Breathe
    Log every day
    Walk every day

Kim from N. California
    58855297.png
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    Options
    Kim - I have always done them in the mini muffin pans. I just put a bit of oil on them and they have never stuck. I serve them with chilli jam and half fat creme fraiche for guests to add themselves. I use panko breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese. My guests think they are the best thing ever.!
    - :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • JackieMM6
    JackieMM6 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    How do you weigh yourselves? With clothes on, or just before your shower, while naked? I have been weighing with clothes on, for that weight, because that's what I will weigh at the doctor. :-/