Options

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Navtendon wrote: »
    jasonmh630 wrote: »
    drabbits3 wrote: »
    soda. anything with high fructose corn syrup. any of that packaged crap like Hostess and Little Debbie stuff. those things hardly count as food anyway. eat real food. chocolate chip cookies you baked yourself are so much better for you than all the chemicals and preservatives in Chips Ahoy for example. and fast food. more fat than food.

Good... More little debbie cakes for us.

Seriously, it's all "real food" whether you agree with it our not. Everything in moderation. Plenty of people with healthy lifestyles that are on here would agree with that.

The entertainment value of this website is outstanding.

Because people preach eating foods in moderation?
  • RibStabsHeart
    RibStabsHeart Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Let me try and give a reasonable answer here...

Firstly: just because you're on a diet/watching what you eat doesn't mean you can never eat chocolate chips or ice cream again. The thing is that you HAVE to start WATCHING (and weighing) what you eat. Eat an actual serving of the thing you love, and log it. If you end up with too few calories at the end of the day, consider switching things up an exercising more to make your wants fit into your schedule.

As for what you "SHOULDN'T EAT" (in quotes because you can eat whatever you want "in moderation"), I personally try to stay away from cheese, breads, sodas, and creamy pastas when I can. I love all these things in moderation (and string cheese/laughing cow is great!), but they have a lot of calories for very little reward, in my opinion. As for sweets, it's important to snack on fruits during the day to get some fiber to keep you going to your next meal, and to satiate your sweet tooth when you're craving something sweet. Look for 100 calorie packs, or make your own in snack-size bags to have a treat when you need one.

I'm not saying that you need to stop eating these things altogether by any means! It's just that you can eat a whole filling meal for the same amount of calories you get in 2-3 pieces of bread, or a couple buttered rolls at the restaurant. Sodas (even diet ones) increase your insulin response, so they can keep you from losing as much weight as you should. I still get a diet coke when I go out sometimes, but I always feel better when I order an iced tea instead.

Log all your food for a week, and see what you eat that isn't really "worth it". Go from there!
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Ones that you're allergic to. It's probably a poor idea to eat something that causes a reaction.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    I read most of the thread and if this was mentioned I apologize. 2 items combined to avoid ALWAYS and FOREVER: liver and onions. The smell of roadkill covered in onions is just wrong. No one ought to put their nose or piehole through these two items EVER!!!!
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    The more restrictions you place on yourself, the harder it becomes to actually stick to a diet.

So do not cut out anything that you simply cannot live without! Many people will crave it; eat it; and then think "oh I can't do this" and give up. Cutting back on some things will probably be required; making lower calorie substitutions for some things is probably a good idea. But to say "never again" to any food is probably asking for trouble (unless you are allergic or have other medical reasons to stop eating them).

So I would say do not cut anything out; instead cut back/restrict/moderate high calorie items that contain little in the way of other nutrients. Maybe switch out the energy drink for a glass of milk or a protein shake? Replace soda with diet soda. Cut back on things like donuts, candies and cake, but still have one/a small slice once in a while, as calories allow.

Of course, if you have "trigger" foods, you may want to keep those out of the house, at least until you have everything else under control.

But also be mindful of how much you are eating overall. Simply by watching your portion size - by finding out what a single serving of pasta or cereal or whatever actually is - and logging accurately you will probably find you can cut down on calories consumed without too much deprivation. Put the fork down when you are full, or when you've eaten your allotted calories. If you are not full, look at what you've eaten and think if you can add more chicken in place of the pasta or rice, for example, to help fill you up. Adding veggies is a good way to add volume too without lots of calories.

Oh, and don't set your goal too low! Eat as much as you can while still losing at a respectable rate to help satiety and adherence.
  • jodiedeakin93
    Options
    I've cut out white bread altogether pretty much and I don't miss it at all. If I feel in a breadish mood I'll go for brown instead.
  • RibStabsHeart
    RibStabsHeart Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Just had an almond butter and concord grape jelly sandwich on white bread for lunch -- came out to be 320 calories. Was it delicious? You bet! Could I have been fuller with different choices? Sure!

But: do I regret it, or am I beating myself up about it? Hell no. I've been waiting to try this jelly all week :) As long as I don't have another one before or after dinner, I'll be good for the day!
  • Navtendon
    Navtendon Posts: 168
    Options
    soda. anything with high fructose corn syrup. any of that packaged crap like Hostess and Little Debbie stuff. those things hardly count as food anyway. eat real food. chocolate chip cookies you baked yourself are so much better for you than all the chemicals and preservatives in Chips Ahoy for example. and fast food. more fat than food.

Seriously, it's all "real food" whether you agree with it our not. Everything in moderation. Plenty of people with healthy lifestyles that are on here would agree with that.

Yes
  • LolBroScience
    edited October 2014
    Options

Yes

You're right. Creating disordered eating habits is way healthier than eating certain foods in moderation.

I forgot you get extra credit for eating extra "clean" and "healthy" food as opposed to looking at overall diet and adherence.

Please talk to me when you require 3600 calories to maintain weight. Ever try eating 3600 calories of nutrient dense, "clean foods" and an everyday basis?
  • emitc534
    emitc534 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Wow! so many different opinions. I understand about the beer because if you are counting calories some beer and wine are acceptable. I use to get caught up in so many different diets. Now I like looking up what the calorie count is. What is working for me now is eating three meals and two snacks, and I like eating every 3 hours. I eat portion control. If I have whole eggs or fat free eggs, then I add 1/4 cup of onions and that's only 17 calories, or 1/2 cup green peppers 15 calories. If I crave something sweet I cut up an apple which is only 56-72 calories depending on red, golden delicious, gala. 3.5 oz Chicken Breast is only 162 calories. I say this because I am sticking to a 1200 calorie, and it is a lot of food just portioned out. I'm into drinking Green Tea a half to 1 hour after each meal and that is also helping me. Logging everything I eat. Some people can eat whatever they want, I can't. Logging everything keeps me in control.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options

That depends on your definition of real. Real to some people might mean food made up of ingredients that occur naturally and not in a lab. Also, not everyone can eat everything..even in moderation. Plenty of people can, and will, eat anything they want. They may even eat however much they want. Hell, my boyfriend ate a half dozen apple turnovers in a day and he was fine. That doesn't mean I could do the same. Even a serving size of an apple turnover would mess me up for the rest of the day. Just because something works for you doesn't mean it will work for everyone. Some people need to cut out certain foods. It's ridiculous that you lump everyone together in the same category and say that everyone can eat any food..in moderation. Not everyone can. You can have your little Debbie cakes all to yourself.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    cherith778 wrote: »
    If I was to cut a food completely out of my diet, what should it be? I.e chocolate, chips, energy drinks, ect.
    As some have stated, moderation is key to long-term success.
    With me over time, I did indeed cut out certain junk foods, but it was just a product of my changing values - not a rule to grudgingly follow. It serves no purpose to diet down on a program not geared for life.
    That ship won't sail!
  • LolBroScience
    Options

That depends on your definition of real. Real to some people might mean food made up of ingredients that occur naturally and not in a lab. Also, not everyone can eat everything..even in moderation. Plenty of people can, and will, eat anything they want. They may even eat however much they want. Hell, my boyfriend ate a half dozen apple turnovers in a day and he was fine. That doesn't mean I could do the same. Even a serving size of an apple turnover would mess me up for the rest of the day. Just because something works for you doesn't mean it will work for everyone. Some people need to cut out certain foods. It's ridiculous that you lump everyone together in the same category and say that everyone can eat any food..in moderation. Not everyone can. You can have your little Debbie cakes all to yourself.

What do you mean it would mess you up for a day?

What do you mean your boyfriend was "fine"? Eat half a dozen apple turnovers everyday for a week and see if he gains weight.

It's still moderation.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Some people need to cut out certain foods. It's ridiculous that you lump everyone together in the same category and say that everyone can eat any food..in moderation. Not everyone can. You can have your little Debbie cakes all to yourself.

no- it is perfectly reasonable. everyone CAN eat in moderation.

will they? some people will not. Some people lack the will power to eat certain foods in moderation- and for a period of time they will eliminate them as they develop self discipline. That is not a matter of can or cannot- that is a matter of a lack of a skill set and the time to develop it- and guess what- self discipline- IS a skill- which can be DEVELOPED.

You're already cutting people off at the knees saying they cannot do something.

The reality is they CAN eat in moderation... they just have to work at it- and it takes longer - or for some people it's not worth the work that is required to get to that point. Some people are dealing with a mental/psychological issue- not a food issue- again- which can be addressed and worked on.

It's a process.

But everyone at some point CAN engage in moderation. It's possible for everyone to be able to do that... (we are excluding medical issues for the purposes of this conversation).

Don't put people automatically in a box to say they cannot do something.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    When I am cutting, and calories are at a premium, I cut out most liquid calories. When I am in maintenance/bulking, nothing is off limits.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

What do you mean your boyfriend was "fine"? Eat half a dozen apple turnovers everyday for a week and see if he gains weight.

It's still moderation.

It would mess me up for a day as in..I would feel like crap the rest of the day and struggle to get my blood glucose levels back up to where they should be.

He probably wouldn't gain a pound in all honesty.

I'm all for moderation and everything else that was said.. Except for the point about everyone being able to do it, as in eat anything. It's not possible for everyone. Some are unlucky enough to have more restrictions than others.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    cherith778 wrote: »
    If I was to cut a food completely out of my diet, what should it be? I.e chocolate, chips, energy drinks, ect.

Those with transfats added.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

It's still moderation.

It would mess me up for a day as in..I would feel like crap the rest of the day and struggle to get my blood glucose levels back up to where they should be.

He probably wouldn't gain a pound in all honesty.

I'm all for moderation and everything else that was said.. Except for the point about everyone being able to do it, as in eat anything. It's not possible for everyone. Some are unlucky enough to have more restrictions than others.

If you have a medical condition such as diabetes that affects your blood sugar abnormally after eating certain foods then obviously you should not eat (or at least restrict) those certain foods. In conversations such as this, the (usually) unwritten caveat is "baring any medical conditions".