Different names for foods - UK/US

Options

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    I went to Michigan once and had 'biscuits' for breakfast they were like English muffins (also just known as muffins here in the UK). I was totally expecting Rich Tea biccies or equivalent.

Either (1) they were out of biscuits and just substituted an English muffin without telling you, or (2) they made really bad biscuits (but even in Michigan, which I don't think qualifies as the biscuit capital of the U.S., a bad biscuit should be readily distinguishable from an English muffin -- it has a lot more fat in it, so the texture is very different --a biscuit is closer to a croissant than to an English muffin), or (3) your unfortunate foreign palate lacks the ability to distinguish between a (U.S.) biscuit and a (U.S.) English muffin -- rather like a non-native English speaker whose native tongue doesn't have the same set of phonemes as English, so they have lost the ability they were born with to hear and pronounce "r" and "l" or "b" and "v" as different sounds. If the latter is the case, I weep for you. A (U.S.) biscuit can be a sublime thing, all flaky and tender, still warm from oven, not really needing butter but able to dance with the butter to greater gustatory heights than either could achieve on its own. Sigh.

• lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Cheese (uk) = processed plastic (US)
  • lisaabenjamin
    Options
    kristydi wrote: »
    Paracetamol? I came across that one reading a short story and, based on context clue,s I think it's a pain killer like Tylenol or Advil.
    And don't you Brits call Band-Aids plasters?

ETA oh wait, you asked about food. Ignore me.

Tylenol is just a brand name for the painkiller paracetamol, and Advil is a brand name for the painkiller ibuprofen.
    And Band-aids are another brand name for what we call plasters.
    I guess here in the UK where we have an NHS we are used to a lot of generic drugs as opposed to the expensive branded ones!

But yeah, back to food...

• lisaabenjamin
    Options
    I went to Michigan once and had 'biscuits' for breakfast they were like English muffins (also just known as muffins here in the UK). I was totally expecting Rich Tea biccies or equivalent.

Either (1) they were out of biscuits and just substituted an English muffin without telling you, or (2) they made really bad biscuits (but even in Michigan, which I don't think qualifies as the biscuit capital of the U.S., a bad biscuit should be readily distinguishable from an English muffin -- it has a lot more fat in it, so the texture is very different --a biscuit is closer to a croissant than to an English muffin), or (3) your unfortunate foreign palate lacks the ability to distinguish between a (U.S.) biscuit and a (U.S.) English muffin -- rather like a non-native English speaker whose native tongue doesn't have the same set of phonemes as English, so they have lost the ability they were born with to hear and pronounce "r" and "l" or "b" and "v" as different sounds. If the latter is the case, I weep for you. A (U.S.) biscuit can be a sublime thing, all flaky and tender, still warm from oven, not really needing butter but able to dance with the butter to greater gustatory heights than either could achieve on its own. Sigh.

Maybe our British palates can't tell the difference between a US "biscuit" and a so-called "English" muffin, but I think Beckilovespizza was trying to make the point that a "biscuit" in the UK is actually what Americans would call a cookie. That would be weird for breakfast. (Then again, in the US, maybe not).
  • lisaabenjamin
    Options
    kristydi wrote: »
    Paracetamol? I came across that one reading a short story and, based on context clue,s I think it's a pain killer like Tylenol or Advil.
    And don't you Brits call Band-Aids plasters?

ETA oh wait, you asked about food. Ignore me.

ignoring is mean :) yes, paracetamol is a pain killer, and we call band aids plasters. :)

i have often wondered what Americans call cider, (alcoholic apple based drink) because what you call cider doesn't seem to be alcoholic as far as i can tell.

and cold cuts sounds so much tastier than our processed meat.

oh thought of one
    linseed (uk) flaxseed (us)

I always thought there was a difference between US "cider" (non-alcoholic) and "hard cider" (alcoholic). But maybe I'm wrong.

• lisaabenjamin
    edited October 2014
    Options
    lisajo89 wrote: »
    UK - USA
    Pork shoulder - Pork butt
    Streaky bacon - Bacon
    Ice lolly / Lolly ice - Popsicle
    Prawns - Shrimp

Nuh, prawns and shrimps are two different species of crustacean. "A prawn has a horn"! (In UK English that rhymes, btw :-) )
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    JenniDaisy wrote: »
    Restaurant (US) = Burger joint (UK)

I've never heard any English person call anything a 'joint' unless it was a cut of roast meat

or a somewhat illegal cigarette. Pretty common term TBH.

http://www.theburgerjoint.co.uk/
    http://www.burgerjoint.co.uk/

Google is your friend ;-)

Because americanisation as a marketing ploy totally counts.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Doughnut (UK) = Barack Obama (US)
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    variety meats (US) offal (UK)
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Small fries (US) = XXL extra large fries (UK)
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Then what do Brits call the pastry that forms both the base and top of a "double-crust pie," as it is called in U.S.?

"Pastry"
    Pastie.most famous version of is the cornish pastie.
  • rslcarson
    rslcarson Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    What do you call a hot dog/frankfurter/wiener/tube steak/red hot in the U.K.?

we call them sausages! It's only a hot dog if it has a bun.

I've been wondering what "turkey sausage" or "chicken sausage" is? I assume it's processed turkey/chicken meat in a skin. I don't think we get it here, well, not in NI anyway.

I've learnt a lot from this thread!
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    UK-US
    herbal infusion - herbal tea - this is for those that solely for drinking
    tisane - still called herbal tea - this is for those that are supposed to be medicinal

Oh, and to add to the fun apple cider issue, in the USA, we also have something called Apple Jack - where you take alcoholic (hard) apple cider and cool it to freezing, skimming of the ice that forms and therefore raising the alcohol content.

Rootbeer (a soda) is an American thing that you don't really find in the UK - most UK folks I know who tried it when they came to American thought it tasted like cough syrup.

Most common chocolate in the UK: cadbury
    Most common chocolate in the US: Hershey's
  • DeadsAndDoritos
    DeadsAndDoritos Posts: 267 Member
    Options

Restaurant (US) = Burger joint (UK)

I've never heard any English person call anything a 'joint' unless it was a cut of roast meat

or a somewhat illegal cigarette. Pretty common term TBH.

http://www.theburgerjoint.co.uk/
    http://www.burgerjoint.co.uk/

Google is your friend ;-)

Because americanisation as a marketing ploy totally counts.

I am with you. Really don't understand this one. I could find places in the UK called "Diner" as well, doesn't make it a UK term.

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
  • WhoWasGivenToFly
    WhoWasGivenToFly Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    not to mention the different names for foods within the US

pop/soda/coke
    hoagies/sub/grinder
    gravy/sauce
    stuffed cabbage/pigs in a blanket

and Tylenol is a brand name for acetometaphin
    I digress.....
  • LeslieTSUK
    LeslieTSUK Posts: 215 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    bubble and squeak = sausage and mash
    scouse = stew made with with fortified port mixed veg and meat etc
    hotpot = meat n potato pie with no pastry base
    bounty bar = mound bar
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    hotpot is a pie ? Not in Lancashire http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/9099/lancashire-hotpot
  • bramble345
    bramble345 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Sausage!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In bubble and squeek???????????????
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    shaumom wrote: »
    UK-US
    herbal infusion - herbal tea - this is for those that solely for drinking
    tisane - still called herbal tea - this is for those that are supposed to be medicinal

Oh, and to add to the fun apple cider issue, in the USA, we also have something called Apple Jack - where you take alcoholic (hard) apple cider and cool it to freezing, skimming of the ice that forms and therefore raising the alcohol content.

Rootbeer (a soda) is an American thing that you don't really find in the UK - most UK folks I know who tried it when they came to American thought it tasted like cough syrup.

Most common chocolate in the UK: cadbury
    Most common chocolate in the US: Hershey's

I thought root beer was like our ginger beer? I've never tried it in the US though.

Jacket potato (UK) = baked potato (US)

I always used to wonder what a biscuit was in the US! When I read a book and they'd have biscuits and gravy. I thought it would be a bit weird pouring gravy over a custard cream! I think gravy is different too, more creamy in the US?