New to MFP. Strength training not for me? Am I alone?

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    wilsoncl6 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    wilsoncl6 wrote: »
    I think circuit training for women is a great routine to increase strength and lean muscle mass. I don't do it because I like to focus centrally on specific muscle groups each day and then move to the next. Most guys strength train to increase muscle size and many women see that and immediately get turned off by strength training because they don't want to turn into a guy. You will gain some weight (at least in the beginning) with strength training due to muscle fatigue stimulating water retention in the muscle fibers but a good diet (low on sodium) and plenty of water will usually flush that away over time.
    what??

A high sodium diet makes you retain water due to the high sodium content in your blood. Muscle damage causes the body to pump fluids to the site to initiate repair. A lot of water dilutes the sodium in your body and is evacuated along with lactic acids in the muscle fibers. Yes, drink a lot of water to get rid of water weight. Seems counter-intuitive to some.

No- I understand that- it was the rubbish about women and weight training. Circuit training doesn't increase lean muscle mass- what is lean muscle mass? do they make fat muscle mass?

and I'm keeping my powerlifting routine- thanks.

Malbec doesn't pair well with sushi. Lol
    alas- no- no it doesn't.

But Saki does!!!! WOOT WOOT!!!!
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Circuit training is usually for shredding. But newbs can certainly increase their lean muscle mass with circuit training. Maybe it will help ease her transition into strength training.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    DjinnMarie wrote: »

Says who?

Just add a little ice.

I went to Rio earlier this year.
    pao-de-queijo-3.jpg

• MyssPhytt
    MyssPhytt Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm going to agree with what most everyone else says here that you need a good balance of the two. It just takes awhile sometimes finding that delicate balance and what works best for you and your goals. I personally do strength training (Stronglifts) by heavy lifting at low reps 3x a week with maybe a little mild cardio mixed in on one of those days, then the rest of the days are strictly cardio (running, kickboxing, etc) and maybe a bit of toning using body weight exercises like push-ups, planks, squats, etc. I also increase protein and minimize carbs on my strength training days and then on cardio days I allow myself more carbs but try to stay within a complex-type carb that will benefit me more in the long run. It's true you might gain a little when building muscle and it can give you a false sense of feeling "fat", but I personally like seeing more of a body transformation with strength training than I do with trying to be "skinny" doing tons of cardio and I'd rather have a gain on the scale than a loss in muscle due to overhauling on the cardio. However, if you're not really interested in increasing muscle or "strength" per se but only want to increase the endurance capability of your muscles, maybe try lifting low weight but at high reps. Personally I think both low weight/high reps and heavy weight/low reps are equally important. I enjoy cardio as much as strength training. Both have major benefits for me and I certainly don't want one to suffer because of the other, so that's why I think finding a great balance of the two are very important.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Says who?

Just add a little ice.

pao-de-queijo-3.jpg

oh yeah no- I'm not big on malbec with sushi- it's just not the right flavor- too heavy to me. I like beer or saki with my sushi- reds just never tasted right- they ruin the fish for me.
  • dbmata
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'm kidding, only marginally. I like water or iced tea with my sushi. Unless they have Kurosawa sake. Then I'll drink a full 1.5l of it and start doing my best samurai impressions.

Or I get asked to put my pants back on. Except for this one place in SF called Oyajis. Went there this one night, two bottles of sake later, owner and I are across the street watering his neighbor's door.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »

Says who?

Just add a little ice.

pao-de-queijo-3.jpg

oh yeah no- I'm not big on malbec with sushi- it's just not the right flavor- too heavy to me. I like beer or saki with my sushi- reds just never tasted right- they ruin the fish for me.

Old world sauvignon blanc is amazing with sushi.
  • nicoleromine
    nicoleromine Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I just started a new lifting routine, and just like that the scale went up 5 lbs, which I expected for all the reasons outlined here. I stuck with it and all the sudden yesterday (after 2.5 weeks), all that weight dropped off. More importantly, my body measurements even improved a bit. Stick it out, because no matter how you think you look when you lift, you'll FEEL LIKE A BEAST! Seriously, I've never felt more powerful and in control of my life than I do right now.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I just started a new lifting routine, and just like that the scale went up 5 lbs, which I expected for all the reasons outlined here. I stuck with it and all the sudden yesterday (after 2.5 weeks), all that weight dropped off. More importantly, my body measurements even improved a bit. Stick it out, because no matter how you think you look when you lift, you'll FEEL LIKE A BEAST! Seriously, I've never felt more powerful and in control of my life than I do right now.

this is why i do heavy lifting! LOVE the way i feel!

• Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Stick it out, because no matter how you think you look when you lift, you'll FEEL LIKE A BEAST! Seriously, I've never felt more powerful and in control of my life than I do right now.
    this is why i do heavy lifting! LOVE the way i feel!
    These comments make me want to go lift something right now. :D
  • chalk_and_chaturangas
    Options
    PS- it can take 6-8 weeks to see lifting results, so be patient and keep lifting.

I agree. I always tell people when they start working out to give it a full 3 months. If its still not working after that, change something. That being said, I recommend weight lifting with HIIT cardio sessions.

You need the HIIT to burn off the fat you already have and the weight lifting to build muscle underneath. Building muscle is what causes the number on the scale to go up at times, since muscle is more dense than fat.

If you are doing HIIT and still not losing the fat, check in with your diet. Are you eating to your BMR or your adjusted calorie expenditure, once exercise is factored in? Try to be somewhere in the middle. Also, it may seem odd, but try eating a macro ration of 40% fat, 30% protein, and 30% carbs. Traditionally, carbs are the the largest macro group, but here's the deal - your body converts carbs to glycogen (sugar) which is used as instant fuel for your body. If the glycogen doesn't get used as fuel it is stored in fat cells. However, if you eater a larger percentage of fat and protein than carbs, your body uses the fat first (research ketogenic diet) and protein for sustained energy. Your "instant energy" for HIIT, etc, will be pulled from your fat cells, shrinking them and letting your newly toned muscles show through.

Feel free to send me a friend request/PM if you want to chat more!
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm jealous! I bulked last year for 20 weeks and only gained 6 lbs. I wish I had your genetics! o:)
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    It's your prerogative to not do any strength training, but you are so missing out :)
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Just another note: Cardio really IS strength training afterall. The heart is a muscle and you strengthen it via cardio exercises. Unlike other muscles, however, you can train this one every day.
  • dbmata
    Options
    uh... no. that's not what that means.
  • pplastics
    pplastics Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I tried the heavy lifting thing many years ago and also did not like it. The trainer at the time switched me to the circuit training room, lighter weights at good pace for 1 minute, then cardio for one minute. There were 10 machines, so 20 minutes each circuit. LOVED it!
    When my weight loss slowed down for a few weeks a couple months ago, I added it 3 days a week (instead of the six cardio only days I was doing). I'm convinced it is what got me revved up again.
    I know that it will not get me "ripped", but I do not have any interest in that right now. Maybe on down the road.....
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    i change my routine all the time. i will do lifting a certain way for about 2 weeks, then change it up. such as, change number of reps, or change the order in which i lift, change my leg day to my arms day, etc. this helps keep it from getting boring, and i work different muscle groups.

women especially need to lift weights! having weight on your bones is crucial to keep from getting osteoporosis. walking on hard concrete/pavement also does the trick. :smiley:
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Strength training is not about "getting ripped." I know it is to a minority but if you do not do some form of resistance training, you will lose 10% of your muscle mass per decade and then it will speed up and you'll be a fragile old woman who can break her hip with a sneeze.

You don't have to become a bodybuilder. Get some bands and use them two or three times a week. Or, do bodyweight workouts. They're fun and really build muscle. You don't need to get a single weight.

It has nothing to do with losing weight. Although, resistance training burns calories up to 24 hours after you stop. And, you can get cardio and strength training in the same workout if you do circuit training high intensity.
  • ES110791
    ES110791 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I fkin hate strength training. I find it so tedious. Even pilates. I feel good after a good session but I just don't get anything else out of it. Cardio makes my legs look lean enough, running up hills makes me *kitten* ok. I don't really want the bulk. I do some good core work about twice a week but the 'results' really aren't worth it for how much I hate doing it. For me.