How old is too old?

Options
NotJustADieter
NotJustADieter Posts: 229 Member
I'm 21 years old. I've started seeing a guy who I've known for years, before this in a friends-only context. He's substantially older than me. Without me telling how old he is, how old would you think would be too old for me?

Replies

• cakebatter07
    cakebatter07 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Only you can answer that question.
  • farmgirlrrt
    farmgirlrrt Posts: 168 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
  • Locked_On_Target
    Locked_On_Target Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    There's a saying I have heard a lot "Age is nothing but a number ". If you are having a good time, roll with it :)
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Old is too old. Ew. Old stuff is gross and old-y.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Old is when he has one foot in the grave.
    Unless he has fat stacks. Then it's on like donkey kong.

• moya_bleh
    moya_bleh Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Are you both consenting adults? Then get it on!
  • DenDweller
    DenDweller Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I dunno. It depends. Exactly how big is his...

...bank account?
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    If you are questioning him being too old for you, you are too young for him!
  • Oxmarqt
    Oxmarqt Posts: 378 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    How old is too old is an interesting question. As long as he is physically and mentally able to do all of the things you want to do then it shouldn't matter. Now on the flip side you need to be sure you are mentally able to do all of the things he may want to do.

Personal opinion would be anything over like 35. I am 43 and would not consider dating someone younger than 30 or older than say 50. Why? Can't see how we would have much in common.

The biggest thing is can you, and he, handle the "peer pressure" and judgement you may get from others?
  • meliebianco
    meliebianco Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    To find out what the oldest age you should date is, take your current age, subtract 7, and multiply it by two. So that would make it 28.

Apparently this is the highest age you 'should' go up to. Personally I think as long as he's not old enough to be your parent (I think that is just uncomfortable and weird, personally), and you're both on a similar level mentally then it should be okay. I would think it would be weird for him though to date someone much younger. Idk. You would both be at such different stages of your lives.
  • NotJustADieter
    NotJustADieter Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    He's 33. So if he were a very messed up 12 year old, he could technically be my parent. We're very similar, culturally and interest-wise, and have been very close for quite a while.

My main worry about it isn't me thinking he's too old for me- it's the reaction we will eventually get from our parents and families.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    If you are questioning him being too old for you, you are too young for him!

^^ this

• ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    He's 33. So if he were a very messed up 12 year old, he could technically be my parent. We're very similar, culturally and interest-wise, and have been very close for quite a while.

My main worry about it isn't me thinking he's too old for me- it's the reaction we will eventually get from our parents and families.

The fact that you draw the "he could be my father" card makes me wonder......

If you are old enough to date him you are old enough to deal with people's reactions! This include your and his families.
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you're both adults, I don't think it should matter too much. If you were a teenager or a child, it would be a different story but you're not.
  • alyci
    alyci Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am married to a man 13 years older than me and it works out well.
    I have also been romantically involved with a man 22 years older than me and it was a very good relationship.

Others may always wonder but if you are happy and confident in your relationship you really shouldn't worry too much.
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    "An old man is a nasty thing." -- Ernest Hemingway, A Clean Well-Lighted Place
  • clb105
    clb105 Posts: 112 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I think age shouldn't matter as long as you both are compatible, and willing to work together to make it work, etc. Keep in mind the aging process will catch up to him first and all the stuff that comes with it.

...however I married someone 11 years older, was fine at first, but it turned out to be a toxic relationship. So I dare to caution ...although that was in my case, and I am sure there are others out there that are making it work and are happy together.
  • EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I'm 22, and sure it depends on your maturity, but there's some definite differences in lifestyle, goals, and life experiences you want to consider first. I'd say anyone who has had/ is looking to immediately start a family wouldn't be good because you won't be on the same page. Honestly I wouldn't date anyone older than 28 or so, regardless, because it's unlikely there would be a good power balance in the relationship right now.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    kind of think that around early 30's is when some men look their best. He probably won't look so great anymore in 5 years or so.
  • EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    And yeah I'll echo: if you need to ask, chances are you're somehow doubting the relationship. At 33 he's likely looking to settle down. If you are, there's a chance it'll work. If it turns out later on you weren't ready to settle, things could get uglier than normal breakups, really quickly.