Still paleo

Options

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    levitateme wrote: »
    The issue I have with the paleo diet is that every single person doing paleo is like "I'm kind of doing my own version of paleo" where they get to "cheat," because the diet as-is is not sustainable for seemingly anyone.

That's what I got out of the last Paleo thread. I decided I'm Paleo, too, but only about 50% of the time.

• trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Well done for finding something that works for you, I just don't think it's necessary to label it. But whatever works
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    The issue I have with the paleo diet is that every single person doing paleo is like "I'm kind of doing my own version of paleo" where they get to "cheat," because the diet as-is is not sustainable for seemingly anyone.

That's what I got out of the last Paleo thread. I decided I'm Paleo, too, but only about 50% of the time.
    I am paleo 5% of the time cause I killed a deer one time with a bow and arrow. The arrow was made out of paleo approved materials. The bow was made out of wood, so that existed during paleo times
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Kaelitr0n wrote: »
    I did look at more than one day. You are not eating according to the paleo diet. You frequently eat tomatoes, which are a nightshade vegetable, as are peppers. Nightshade vegetables are discouraged on the paleo diet.

You eat apples nearly every day and sometimes more than one. Paleo says to eat apples only occasionally because they are high in sugar.
    You might be confusing Paleo with the Autoimmune Protocol. These are not the same thing. The restrictions you're talking about with Nightshades do not exist in general with Non-autoimmune protocol Paleo. Fruit restrictions also do not exist; it is mentioned to limit fruit intake on Paleo only if you're attempting to lose weight (yes, due to the sugar content).

There is Paleo approved bacon out there, people. It's expensive, but it contains no non-Paleo additives (including the sugar found in most bacon). Processed food is also not inherently out--you simply have to find those processed foods which adhere to the rules. Some examples include Laughing Giraffe Snakaroons and Caveman Cookies. These options are not Whole30 approved, but Whole30 is entirely more strict than Paleo.

There's a lot of misinformation floating around in this thread :/

I am going by paleo information available on the internet. It seems that paleo has gone the way of "clean eating" and there is no true definition.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »

I am paleo 5% of the time cause I killed a deer one time with a bow and arrow. The arrow was made out of paleo approved materials. The bow was made out of wood, so that existed during paleo times

Are you sure that no one had put out a corn feeder to bait that deer?? Or it had not eaten corn from some unprotected garden. Cause corn is horrible I hear.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    digginDeep wrote: »
    Have you considered pescatarian? Some people have said it's easier to stick to. You really get hooked.

I see what you did there. B)
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Is protein powder really allowed as part of a strict paleo diet? I don't really know that much about it but thought the premise was non processed foods that cave men used to eat. Not taking the p!ss just interested.

Good question. I researched long and hard on various protein powders. I used to use Rockin Wellness and Shakeology but those are not Paleo. It's hard to find one that is. I prefer real food to a shake but I understand that once in a while it's difficult to have the time so... I did find an egg white protein powder and it's as close to Paleo as you could get I think. I don't use it much. Days like today when I'm caring for my mother and have limited choices I make sure to bring a shake with me. It's better than the alternative.
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    vtroys wrote: »
    Any ideas on breakfast or veggies, do share! Always looking for new ideas.

I've been 80/20 "paleo" for about 2 years now... I found that my cravings to eat more have subsided and subsequently it doesn't take much to get me full anymore... even tho you can completely pig out on paleo and not worry about the consequences... anyway, what i'm getting at is that I have found my breakfast meals have gotten smaller and a homemade protein shake in the NutriBullet does the trick. Kale, nuts, avocado, bananas, etc are enough to keep me until lunch or a little snack (nuts n stuff) in between - add in Hemp Protein and you've got a full meal. I keep bags of organic frozen antioxidant rich berries in my freezer so i don't have to worry about them spoiling. Coconut Milk yogurt from Trader Joe's is also a nice treat.

Xx

Yes! Agree with all of that :smiley: When I was counting and tracking I feel like I was always hungry, or at least talking myself into being hungry. Now I don't even think about it. It takes very little nutrient dense real food to fill me up.

• BoxerBrawler
    Options
    Why not just say I don't eat "X,y,z" rather than subscribing to a food-religion that causes you to feel guilt, shame, and inadequacy if you end up eating something that is 'forbidden?' I have a friend who converted to "Paleo" and talks about it at parties while holding a nice IPA. Point that out and he will go on a diatribe about why beer is ok- but I say, "dude, it's cool- just say 'I eat (whatever it is he eats or doesn't eat) and beer, even thought it's not considered Paleo.' No one else really cares if you go to Paleo-hell, as long as you are healthy and- most importantly- happy."

I couldn't agree more. The main reason why I made this post was because I think sometimes it's nice to hear it from a real person vs. website information. Like I said, there are plenty of people who do modified Paleo and that's just fine, different strokes for different folks and as long as you're healthy and happy that's the bottom line. I tend to get obsessive and like to take things to the very limit before allowing myself small freedoms. I am still working at it. Thanks for the reply!
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    Is protein powder really allowed as part of a strict paleo diet? I don't really know that much about it but thought the premise was non processed foods that cave men used to eat. Not taking the p!ss just interested.
    As long as the label says its paleo, then its ok. Paleo man wasn't just some dummy, they were smart businessmen and marketing geniuses.

Yes... very smart businessmen (and women) indeed, like all of them who come up with diet and nutrition ideas. Ever see that movie "Fed Up"? wow... And why does everyone think marketing has to do with advertising/selling? If you've ever worked in corporate marketing you'd know that it's less about the sales and more about the numbers/trends. The advertisers, communicators and branders imagine and sell. The marketers analyze.
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    Another positive, for me anyway. Although I do the majority of my shopping and prepping on a Sunday I do like that fact that sometimes I skip the big shopping and make daily trips to the market/butcher, etc. It's like the old school way of doing things and can guarantee no waste. It's easy for me since I commute and it's only me and my husband at home but I really like shopping for the evening meal like they do in other countries. Fresh food, cooked and eaten that very same day/night.
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    One more positive :smile:
    By taking on this nutrition plan I've gone from saying "I want that but I can't have it", to saying, "I can have that but I chose not too". It's very liberating!
  • JupeJones
    JupeJones Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    By taking on this nutrition plan I've gone from saying "I want that but I can't have it", to saying, "I can have that but I chose not too". It's very liberating!

Cool!

But I'll stick with my "I want that and I can have it*" diet. B)

* In a reasonable amount, based on my calorie goals.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    A few weeks ago I posted about the Paleo diet and some of the comments told me I was still on the honeymoon and that I would get sick of it and fall off track and eating all the healthy foods I want would cause weight gain and blah, blah, blah. Well I am still strict Paleo and it just keeps getting better! Yes, it can get costly and there is some time involved with food prep but it's worth it. I have never felt better and considering the fact that my husband just had major surgery, I lost my dog of 11 years and my mother is dying all in one month, I've been able to stay on track and I feel that my Paleo nutrition has helped a great deal with not gaining weight back and preventing stress eating and cravings...

I think the reason people are either afraid to try Paleo or don't stick with it is because they are too focused on what they have to give up vs. what they can have. I know one of my biggest things in the beginning was "omg how am I going to live without my greek yogurt!" But I gave it up cold turkey and low and behold I don't even think about it. It didn't bother me in the least. I also had the old school thought of "If I eat fat, I'll get fat". That couldn't be further from the truth. As long as you're eating healthy fats.

I have not had grains of any kind or added sugars or anything fake or processed in over a month and I don't miss it in the least. I have no desires or cravings for any of that stuff. I am much more satisfied with bacon and eggs and veggies and avocado in the morning than I am with a bowl of cereal or oatmeal. Most days I don't even think about food or feel truly hungry again until after noon time and snacks? I don't need them. I have learned to eat when I am hungry and stop when I am full. I no longer try to eat snacks throughout the day based on nutritional advice or a program. I mean really, why would I eat a snack if I'm not hungry for one? It makes no sense.

Paleo has also helped me to develop a whole new outlook on all of the wonderful and delicious natural foods out there. I take great pleasure in everything I cook and food has never tasted better.

I still try to track and be aware of my calories but eating Paleo makes it very easy to stay within a calorie goal and hit macros naturally. I find that my body wastes nothing because the foods I putting in it are what my body needs to function and survive. There are no additives or chemicals, no processing agents, nothing my body doesn't recognize. It doesn't have to figure out what it is and/or store it for later use.

And leftovers have a whole new meaning. I love eating a big "breakfast salad" with meat leftover from the night before. I find that nothing in my fridge gets wasted anymore. By the end of the week when I'm ready to grocery shop again everything is pretty much used up and if I do have left overs, well, I make myself a garbage soup!

My Sunday food prep has become as simple as making a giant Paleo Chili for the week, boiling up a dozen eggs and cooking a few proteins. Aside from that I just make sure I have all of the veggies, nuts, seeds, some fruits, avocados and items like that in stock for the week. That's it. My trips to the grocery store have gotten quick as well. Produce, meat and fish counter, spices, oils and I'm out! I have no need to go up and down isles at all. Of course my grocery bill has gone up but once you're eating grass fed meats you can't go back LOL.

If you've thought about going Paleo I encourage you to start your journey :)

this-guy-here-needs-a-medal.jpg
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Have you considered pescatarian? Some people have said it's easier to stick to. You really get hooked.

I see what you did there. B)
    :D
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Another positive, for me anyway. Although I do the majority of my shopping and prepping on a Sunday I do like that fact that sometimes I skip the big shopping and make daily trips to the market/butcher, etc. It's like the old school way of doing things and can guarantee no waste. It's easy for me since I commute and it's only me and my husband at home but I really like shopping for the evening meal like they do in other countries. Fresh food, cooked and eaten that very same day/night.

"Fresh" food in the supermarket has usually been out of the ground for several days. Usually picked prior to being ripe and allowed to ripen in transport, which is less nutritious than vegetables allowed to ripen on the vine. Since light and heat destroy some nutrients, sitting there in the store waiting to be purchased can also cause nutrition loss. So, taking it home and storing it in your dark cool fridge may sometimes be better. Or, you might consider growing your own. Even if you don't have much land, many vegetables grow well in containers.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    TL:DR But in your diary is nightshade vegetables (bell peppers), processed foods (turkey bacon, instant pudding, cool whip, etc.)

I'm truly glad you have found a diet that works for you. But it's not the paleo diet.

Thanks. Maybe you should take a look at more than one day, and make reference to what I said about the once in a while treat. The bacon I buy has three ingredients: Turkey, water salt or pork, water and salt. Is not processed. I may have chosen the most convenient item on the list for the sake of calories.

Well with all due respect you can't say you are strict paleo if you're eating non paleo foods. That's like saying I'm a strict vegetarian that has the occasional steak

Now, now. We learned a few weeks ago that the proper terminology for vegetarians who eat meat sometimes is a "flexitarian."

• BoxerBrawler
    Options

"Fresh" food in the supermarket has usually been out of the ground for several days. Usually picked prior to being ripe and allowed to ripen in transport, which is less nutritious than vegetables allowed to ripen on the vine. Since light and heat destroy some nutrients, sitting there in the store waiting to be purchased can also cause nutrition loss. So, taking it home and storing it in your dark cool fridge may sometimes be better. Or, you might consider growing your own. Even if you don't have much land, many vegetables grow well in containers.

Which is exactly why 80% of my food comes from local farmers (I'm lucky to have them where I live), my own garden albeit seasonal and some places like whole foods and/or trader joe's depending upon the locality/date, etc. You are right about storage. I used to just throw everything into my fridge but now I leave almost everything out, including the fresh eggs I get from my brother chickens that are not refrigerated in the first place :smile: Great comments, thanks!

• BoxerBrawler
    Options
    Paige682 wrote: »
    TL:DR But in your diary is nightshade vegetables (bell peppers), processed foods (turkey bacon, instant pudding, cool whip, etc.)

I'm truly glad you have found a diet that works for you. But it's not the paleo diet.

Thanks. Maybe you should take a look at more than one day, and make reference to what I said about the once in a while treat. The bacon I buy has three ingredients: Turkey, water salt or pork, water and salt. Is not processed. I may have chosen the most convenient item on the list for the sake of calories.

Well with all due respect you can't say you are strict paleo if you're eating non paleo foods. That's like saying I'm a strict vegetarian that has the occasional steak

Now, now. We learned a few weeks ago that the proper terminology for vegetarians who eat meat sometimes is a "flexitarian."

Sorry... it's too late to edit that, I should have inserted the word "trying" to be strict Paleo. Like anything else in life it is a process. For me I feel like the practice of a 100% Paleo lifestyle comes in baby steps and forward progression, not just all at once :smile: It's also a learning process. I know some folks who begin a Paleo diet and make a mistake somehow by eating something non-paleo because they just didn't know. It derails them and they give up. Not the way to go about it.

Just because you're lost in the woods doesn't mean your compass is broken :)
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    JupeJones wrote: »

Cool!

But I'll stick with my "I want that and I can have it*" diet. B)

* In a reasonable amount, based on my calorie goals.

Awesome! Good for you on finding what works and keep up the good work. I love the positive energy and love when people share their success! :smiley: