Still paleo

Options

Replies

• BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    yo_andi wrote: »
    A few weeks ago I posted about the Paleo diet and some of the comments told me I was still on the honeymoon and that I would get sick of it and fall off track and eating all the healthy foods I want would cause weight gain and blah, blah, blah. Well I am still strict Paleo and it just keeps getting better! Yes, it can get costly and there is some time involved with food prep but it's worth it. I have never felt better and considering the fact that my husband just had major surgery, I lost my dog of 11 years and my mother is dying all in one month, I've been able to stay on track and I feel that my Paleo nutrition has helped a great deal with not gaining weight back and preventing stress eating and cravings...

I think the reason people are either afraid to try Paleo or don't stick with it is because they are too focused on what they have to give up vs. what they can have. I know one of my biggest things in the beginning was "omg how am I going to live without my greek yogurt!" But I gave it up cold turkey and low and behold I don't even think about it. It didn't bother me in the least. I also had the old school thought of "If I eat fat, I'll get fat". That couldn't be further from the truth. As long as you're eating healthy fats.

I have not had grains of any kind or added sugars or anything fake or processed in over a month and I don't miss it in the least. I have no desires or cravings for any of that stuff. I am much more satisfied with bacon and eggs and veggies and avocado in the morning than I am with a bowl of cereal or oatmeal. Most days I don't even think about food or feel truly hungry again until after noon time and snacks? I don't need them. I have learned to eat when I am hungry and stop when I am full. I no longer try to eat snacks throughout the day based on nutritional advice or a program. I mean really, why would I eat a snack if I'm not hungry for one? It makes no sense.

Paleo has also helped me to develop a whole new outlook on all of the wonderful and delicious natural foods out there. I take great pleasure in everything I cook and food has never tasted better.

I still try to track and be aware of my calories but eating Paleo makes it very easy to stay within a calorie goal and hit macros naturally. I find that my body wastes nothing because the foods I putting in it are what my body needs to function and survive. There are no additives or chemicals, no processing agents, nothing my body doesn't recognize. It doesn't have to figure out what it is and/or store it for later use.

And leftovers have a whole new meaning. I love eating a big "breakfast salad" with meat leftover from the night before. I find that nothing in my fridge gets wasted anymore. By the end of the week when I'm ready to grocery shop again everything is pretty much used up and if I do have left overs, well, I make myself a garbage soup!

My Sunday food prep has become as simple as making a giant Paleo Chili for the week, boiling up a dozen eggs and cooking a few proteins. Aside from that I just make sure I have all of the veggies, nuts, seeds, some fruits, avocados and items like that in stock for the week. That's it. My trips to the grocery store have gotten quick as well. Produce, meat and fish counter, spices, oils and I'm out! I have no need to go up and down isles at all. Of course my grocery bill has gone up but once you're eating grass fed meats you can't go back LOL.

If you've thought about going Paleo I encourage you to start your journey :)

this-guy-here-needs-a-medal.jpg

wow... it must have taken an incredible amount of creative energy for you to post this photo. Congratulations. You might need a nap now. Bravo... I'm sure everyone who wants to have an intelligent conversation instead of an ignorant argument for a change appreciates this. Thanks for your well thought out and informative addition to this post.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Paige682 wrote: »
    TL:DR But in your diary is nightshade vegetables (bell peppers), processed foods (turkey bacon, instant pudding, cool whip, etc.)

I'm truly glad you have found a diet that works for you. But it's not the paleo diet.

Thanks. Maybe you should take a look at more than one day, and make reference to what I said about the once in a while treat. The bacon I buy has three ingredients: Turkey, water salt or pork, water and salt. Is not processed. I may have chosen the most convenient item on the list for the sake of calories.

Well with all due respect you can't say you are strict paleo if you're eating non paleo foods. That's like saying I'm a strict vegetarian that has the occasional steak

Now, now. We learned a few weeks ago that the proper terminology for vegetarians who eat meat sometimes is a "flexitarian."

Sorry... it's too late to edit that, I should have inserted the word "trying" to be strict Paleo. Like anything else in life it is a process. For me I feel like the practice of a 100% Paleo lifestyle comes in baby steps and forward progression, not just all at once :smile: It's also a learning process. I know some folks who begin a Paleo diet and make a mistake somehow by eating something non-paleo because they just didn't know. It derails them and they give up. Not the way to go about it.

Just because you're lost in the woods doesn't mean your compass is broken :)

Ok. I wasn't even going to weigh in on the actual paleo thing. I was making a joke based of a previous thread that was ridiculous.

About the Paleo thing, I guess my question is...why even label yourself if you are 80/20? It seems silly. I'm sure my diet is probably 75/25 Paleo naturally, but I would never say I'm "Paleo" and I would never waste my money on "Paleo" products. I just happen to like meat and vegetables.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    A few weeks ago I posted about the Paleo diet and some of the comments told me I was still on the honeymoon and that I would get sick of it and fall off track and eating all the healthy foods I want would cause weight gain and blah, blah, blah. Well I am still strict Paleo and it just keeps getting better!
    So... you stuck to something.

Uhm... congrats? Want a cookie?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    TL:DR But in your diary is nightshade vegetables (bell peppers), processed foods (turkey bacon, instant pudding, cool whip, etc.)

I'm truly glad you have found a diet that works for you. But it's not the paleo diet.

Thanks. Maybe you should take a look at more than one day, and make reference to what I said about the once in a while treat. The bacon I buy has three ingredients: Turkey, water salt or pork, water and salt. Is not processed. I may have chosen the most convenient item on the list for the sake of calories.

Well with all due respect you can't say you are strict paleo if you're eating non paleo foods. That's like saying I'm a strict vegetarian that has the occasional steak

Now, now. We learned a few weeks ago that the proper terminology for vegetarians who eat meat sometimes is a "flexitarian."

Sorry... it's too late to edit that, I should have inserted the word "trying" to be strict Paleo. Like anything else in life it is a process. For me I feel like the practice of a 100% Paleo lifestyle comes in baby steps and forward progression, not just all at once :smile: It's also a learning process. I know some folks who begin a Paleo diet and make a mistake somehow by eating something non-paleo because they just didn't know. It derails them and they give up. Not the way to go about it.

Ok. I wasn't even going to weigh in on the actual paleo thing. I was making a joke based of a previous thread that was ridiculous.

About the Paleo thing, I guess my question is...why even label yourself if you are 80/20? It seems silly. I'm sure my diet is probably 75/25 Paleo naturally, but I would never say I'm "Paleo" and I would never waste my money on "Paleo" products. I just happen to like meat and vegetables.

This is my thought and earlier point as well. Why not just say "I eat mostly whole, unprocessed or minimally processed foods"? Why give credit to a made-up diet that you aren't even following?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    A few weeks ago I posted about the Paleo diet and some of the comments told me I was still on the honeymoon and that I would get sick of it and fall off track and eating all the healthy foods I want would cause weight gain and blah, blah, blah. Well I am still strict Paleo and it just keeps getting better!

No need to be snarky, though honestly I'm not sure a few weeks is enough to say you are out of the honeymoon phase.
  • dbmata
    Options

No need to be snarky, though honestly I'm not sure a few weeks is enough to say you are out of the honeymoon phase.
    Sorry, use big people terminology. You mean sarcastic.

Guy posts a thread to pat himself on the back. He can take it.
  • dbmata
    Options

This is my thought and earlier point as well. Why not just say "I eat mostly whole, unprocessed or minimally processed foods"? Why give credit to a made-up diet that you aren't even following?

Because it's cool to have labels.
  • PRMinx
    Options

Awww, shucks. I don't have a label. :\
  • dbmata
    edited October 2014
    Options

Awww, shucks. I don't have a label. :\

I shall provide you one.

Captain-Power.jpg
  • PRMinx
    Options
    I will take it. I like being a captain.
  • dbmata
    Options
    That was the second one I came up with.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    That was the second one I came up with.

I didn't notice the link! You remind me of the babe. Hahaha. I think I just fell in love with you a little bit.

• dbmata
    Options
    f1a49928ac96f7387f08117934c67a21.jpg
  • PRMinx
    Options

Hahaha.

I used to think Bowie was sexy in that movie. True story.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

It is cool to be in on the fad, I suppose. You can join paleo groups and get pats from others that sort of follow the same diet some of the time.

Eating whole foods doesn't sound as sexy.
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

Hahaha.

what's not to like...

1370902028-wornout-click2.jpg
  • PRMinx
    Options

Hahaha.

what's not to like...

1370902028-wornout-click2.jpg

That's quite a....mullet....yes, let's go with mullet.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Ok, but why don't you check back with us in 3 years or so?? I wouldn't take marriage advice from someone married for a month.

And I also agree that I'm tired of people praising the "Paleo" diet when they are actually following some modified version XX% of the time. I think I’m about 37.2694% Paleo. Give or take 75%.
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to eat Primally, because I don't want to give up cheese. I'm on day 30 today - and tonight I will have an ice-cream bar. I haven't had ice-cream in a month and I am looking forward to the treat.

I think we can only make a decision to eat a specific way, day to day. And some days may be more of a failure than others. I spent the first two days of Primal eatting, packing up pasta boxes so that I could give them away. And, a week later, I gave away bread and cake box mixes, and an over-abundance of different types of canned beans.

So today, day 30, I'm having my ice-cream treat - and tomorrow, I will pack up the boxed cereals (all that sugary goodness that I've avoided this month) and I will give those away too. I really enjoy living grain-free. I've come to the realization as I cook up a pot of sauteed veggies, and add in some chicken or beef ... and, a little bit of cheese... that all those years of using pasta and bread to sop up the juices were really quite unnecessary. That's what spoons are for - those juices.

Eventually, I will be better at making healthier choices. I've been searching online for local farms that sell pasture fed meats. The options in the grocery store are pretty slim pickings.

I've come to appreciate food better this month. That quality matters. If we feed our bodies with the best we can afford, most of the time, maybe we'll reap the benefits of being healthier. And, this is a philosophy that I'm striving toward.

I reduced my sugar intake, but I did not give up chocolate. :) Just saying - Godiva is my friend (in small doses, of course).
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    vtroys wrote: »
    Any ideas on breakfast or veggies, do share! Always looking for new ideas.

I've been 80/20 "paleo" for about 2 years now... I found that my cravings to eat more have subsided and subsequently it doesn't take much to get me full anymore... even tho you can completely pig out on paleo and not worry about the consequences... anyway, what i'm getting at is that I have found my breakfast meals have gotten smaller and a homemade protein shake in the NutriBullet does the trick. Kale, nuts, avocado, bananas, etc are enough to keep me until lunch or a little snack (nuts n stuff) in between - add in Hemp Protein and you've got a full meal. I keep bags of organic frozen antioxidant rich berries in my freezer so i don't have to worry about them spoiling. Coconut Milk yogurt from Trader Joe's is also a nice treat.

Xx

Yes! Agree with all of that :smiley: When I was counting and tracking I feel like I was always hungry, or at least talking myself into being hungry. Now I don't even think about it. It takes very little nutrient dense real food to fill me up.

OP--could the cause of your hunger be from eating too few calories? I misunderstood your title of "Still Paleo" because God knows if I ate under 1,100 calories I probably wouldn't move much either.