Gaining muscle

Options

Replies

• NoelleED
    NoelleED Posts: 148
    Options
    If it's totally impossible, fine. I will stay fat.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Well it is because you want your goals to happen and it just won't happen that way. LBM will decrease when you are in a calorie deficit. You weight train to not lose as much LBM.
    Yoyo, remember that guy who used to pop up with the TNation stuff? It was also a whole gain muscle/lose fat debate. I remember that guy, you remember that guy?
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Well it is because you want your goals to happen and it just won't happen that way. LBM will decrease when you are in a calorie deficit. You weight train to not lose as much LBM.
    Yoyo, remember that guy who used to pop up with the TNation stuff? It was also a whole gain muscle/lose fat debate. I remember that guy, you remember that guy?

I also remember talking about calorie cycle and getting result on my bod pod saying I gain 2 pounds of LBM with a 11 pound fat loss in 5 months though. I don't count calories though. If I did I would of been able to have a bigger range.
  • NoelleED
    Options
    Is it impossible for a 160/180 pound woman to squat 300? I doubt it's impossible but the men seem to think so.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    NoelleED wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP - no one is bullying you ....we are just telling you that it is physically impossible to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time..its called science, math, and physics...

I am not opposed to that truth. But it does become bullying when people overreact to me saying I might want to stay heavier in order to maintain the strength AND questioning my strength/motives in the first place. My god, have none of you mastered reading comprehension yet? I don't care if it's an absolute fecking truth that I would lose muscle along with fat. I am not arguing it, but rather ASKING YOU GUYS HOW TO LOSE THE FAT AND MAINTAIN THE STRENGTH. It appears as though nobody has an answer to that.

I will guess you mean maintain mass because plenty of people increase in strength on a deficit.
  • NoelleED
    Options

I will guess you mean maintain mass because plenty of people increase in strength on a deficit.

At least in my legs.

I am also not opposed to the idea of losing the fat and then regaining the strength if I need to do it that way. But damn, it sounds an awful lot like men are suggesting women just can't possibly be smaller and strong.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Is it impossible for a 160/180 pound woman to squat 300? I doubt it's impossible but the men seem to think so.

Try it and report back.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I've read a few articles that talk about losing fat while gaining muscle. There is generally some controversy over it. However, here's one article: (I have no idea how accurate this is):
    bodybuilding.com/fun/fat_loss_muscle_gain_trick.htm

I can't find it, but I seem to remember there being a study to support it as well, but only for new, obese lifters. Google is your friend.

Now, as far as recomping (maintaining weight while losing fat and gaining muscle), if you trust the BodPod, in the last seven months of lifting heavy and basically maintaining my weight, I have lost 4.3 lbs of fat and gained 1.5 lbs of lean mass.

IMO, you (OP) should just focus on maintaining what muscle mass you have while losing weight. That would mean working your entire body, including legs. I think at 280 lbs, the gain muscle while losing fat point shouldn't be your focus.

• NoelleED
    Options
    I apologize if I didn't phrase the original question precisely right. I tried to explain how much strength I already possess but people got all weird about it.
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Ok, I have another question...

if a heavy set person (like me) - were to lift heavy - and, not eat at a deficit. Could I gain muscle weight - and then use the increased muscle % to raise metabolism, and lose fat more easily?
  • NoelleED
    Options
    I'll just leave this here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za22mICcREo
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I apologize if I didn't phrase the original question precisely right. I tried to explain how much strength I already possess but people got all weird about it.

People got all weird because you started coming up with bizarre reasons why existing scientific data doesn't apply to you.

You can gain strength in a deficit, but you will hit a wall where you are going to need to decide between strength gains and weight loss. It is what it is. At that point you'll have to decide whether you want to increase muscle mass to keep seeing strength gains or stay the same size physically. It is unlikely you're going to be teeny tiny and putting up huge numbers. That's not to say you won't be able to have impressive lifts relative to your size, but if the specific number on the bar means that much to you, you're going to have to focus on that goal and keep your body in a place that accommodates that goal, whether or not it's aesthetically the way you want.
  • NoelleED
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »

People got all weird because you started coming up with bizarre reasons why existing scientific data doesn't apply to you.

Really? What exactly did I say except that I am naturally very strong?
  • NoelleED
    Options
    I actually never said anything about it not being true. I said I would RATHER STAY BIG THEN.
  • NoelleED
    Options

You can gain strength in a deficit, but you will hit a wall where you are going to need to decide between strength gains and weight loss. It is what it is. At that point you'll have to decide whether you want to increase muscle mass to keep seeing strength gains or stay the same size physically. It is unlikely you're going to be teeny tiny and putting up huge numbers. That's not to say you won't be able to have impressive lifts relative to your size, but if the specific number on the bar means that much to you, you're going to have to focus on that goal and keep your body in a place that accommodates that goal, whether or not it's aesthetically the way you want.

I appreciate THIS, this is far better than the shwag I got before.

Aesthetics aren't anything like my primary focus. I think my strength is my primary focus.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

It was your squat stat.

• NoelleED
    Options

It was your squat stat.

I was asked specifically for that.
  • dbmata
    Options

At least in my legs.

I am also not opposed to the idea of losing the fat and then regaining the strength if I need to do it that way. But damn, it sounds an awful lot like men are suggesting women just can't possibly be smaller and strong.

Nobody suggested that, but if you want to play the off in left field game, go for it. Only makes you look more reasonable.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

Well said.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Weighing 280 does not mean you can squat 280, fyi.
  • NoelleED
    Options
    I think some people are both cognitively challenged along with being just generally mean. I don't give a crumb if losing the fat means I automatically become less strong - it would be MY CHOICE then to maintain the muscle OVER WEIGHT LOSS. Derpy der kids, try and keep up.