How do you deal with siblings and yours/their weight?

Options

Replies

• jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    First and foremost, I originally posted this in chit-chat and then realized that probably wasn't the place for this....so yes, this is a duplicate, just to make that clear. :)

I am the oldest of four sisters. I've always been the chubbier one, and I'm sure that part of that is because I'm 6 years older than the next oldest, and 12 years older than the youngest. However, in the last year, my weight hasn't changed much, but all three of them have gained - and I'm not even joking - a minimum of 30lbs a piece. My youngest sister started college last year, and easily put on 60lbs. Even my oldest of the three, who has danced her whole life, put on like 30lbs over the last year.

I feel like a terrible person for it, but looking at them is part of why I am so dedicated to losing weight now. I think that the weight they have gained is...well....kind of gross (and I am so sorry if that is offensive, I don't LIKE thinking that about anyone, let alone my own family!), and I want to help them take care of themselves, but the oldest has undiagnosed mental health issues, probably bipolar like myself, so is incredibly emotionally unstable and can't even talk about MY weight loss efforts, let alone her own. The middle lives with her boyfriend and his family who are all over weight, happily so, and she just lives in that culture of fat acceptance, and my youngest....she's the one I'm most worried about...she is in plain old full out denial that she is overweight at all, when she would easily fall into morbid obesity with her BMI.

I want to serve as a positive role model, but just casually talking about my own efforts just doesn't seem to mean anything to them, or they just shut down and don't listen. I'm really good at tough love - like, I'm the one they come to when they know they need a reality check - but this kind of tough love could be really really psychologically damaging to generally unstable people already. (We have a run of genetic mental illness in our family on both sides....awesome for us, I know!)

TL;DR: How do you guys deal with siblings or loved ones that need help, either to gain weight or to lose weight, if you help at all?

Just curious.

You said that you've always been the chubbier one, and part of that is because you're 6 years older than the next oldest, and 12 years older than the youngest.

How is that, exactly? I don't understand how the age difference/birth order affected your weight.
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I'd not say anything myself. Ive always been the fattest one of my sisters. I am fast catching up with them now though and my youngest sister who I am closest with has decided to join me and join MFP. My other sister I am not close with I would not mention her weight to her even though she probably wouldnt choose to join either of us in eating or at the gym. Its just the way things are and things are often tense enough between us anyway without me chming in with 'could lose a bit of weight love!'
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    To be fair to the OP, I do think her situation is a bit different since she is older than her sisters, and by her own words, basically raised them due to absent parents. OP also said herself that she was unaware of how to be healthy until her BF taught her. Could be the same case with her sisters.

It's still a slippery slope and I can't advise what is best to do, particularly because each person is different and what may work with one sister won't with another. However, OP, I do think you have their best interests at heart. Set a good example, be open to their questions, but let them find their own path, just as you did (as hard as it may be to watch them become unhealthy).
  • SpockAdventures
    SpockAdventures Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Just curious.

You said that you've always been the chubbier one, and part of that is because you're 6 years older than the next oldest, and 12 years older than the youngest.

How is that, exactly? I don't understand how the age difference/birth order affected your weight.

The age difference because I'm only 31, so that means when I was 20, my younger sisters were 8 years old and 14. It wasn't until last year that we were all legal adults, and not me being a legal adult and them being growing children.
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Worry about yourself and lead by example. When they are ready they will make a change in their own lives, and not before. And if they never do, then that's on them. Just love them for who they are, and let the other stuff go.
  • SpockAdventures
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    To be fair to the OP, I do think her situation is a bit different since she is older than her sisters, and by her own words, basically raised them due to absent parents. OP also said herself that she was unaware of how to be healthy until her BF taught her. Could be the same case with her sisters.

It's still a slippery slope and I can't advise what is best to do, particularly because each person is different and what may work with one sister won't with another. However, OP, I do think you have their best interests at heart. Set a good example, be open to their questions, but let them find their own path, just as you did (as hard as it may be to watch them become unhealthy).

Thanks, I appreciate your taking the time to see that my situation, while not unique, also isn't the typical we happened to live in the same house together kind of relationship. We are all remarkably close - much more so than many siblings that I know, I'm sure having to do with my pretty much raising them.

And I do hear everyone else saying that they need to deal with it in their own time - and I also know that I can't make them do anything until they are ready to do something. I think maybe the fact that I actually can't do anything is exactly my problem, and I have been searching for a way around that, when there isn't.

Everyone has been so very thoughtful on this, whether you agree with how I feel or not, I really appreciate it all.
  • sparklefrogz
    sparklefrogz Posts: 281 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    isn't the health of people I love a reasonable thing to worry about? That's really where my concern lies....I don't want to see my sister's develop diabetes or heart problems by the time they turn 30

Are you wanting to say something to them to make them healthier...or to assuage your worrying?

I am the oldest child in my family. I gained 80 lb once I left home; my younger sister quickly followed suit once she did too. I've since lost the weight, but she hasn't. Obviously I'm concerned about her health.

1. How will my worrying about her help her make positive change in her life?
    2. How can I convince her that she needs to change?
    3. Do I know better than her what she needs to change and how? Do I know better than her what her stress levels, budget, free time, relationship status, cooking knowledge, body image, and detailed health report are?
    4. How do I know if she is healthy or heading for disaster?
    I think maybe the fact that I actually can't do anything is exactly my problem, and I have been searching for a way around that, when there isn't.

There is something you can do: spend time with them, enjoy them for who they are, and be the best version of yourself you possibly can be.
  • catb58
    catb58 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Except for my kids (who are adults), I gave up hoping for support or compliments from my family years ago. My daughter and her husband are extremely active and fit. She is probably my biggest cheerleader. :smile:
  • SpockAdventures
    Options
    Are you wanting to say something to them to make them healthier...or to assuage your worrying?

I am the oldest child in my family. I gained 80 lb once I left home; my younger sister quickly followed suit once she did too. I've since lost the weight, but she hasn't. Obviously I'm concerned about her health.

1. How will my worrying about her help her make positive change in her life?
    2. How can I convince her that she needs to change?
    3. Do I know better than her what she needs to change and how? Do I know better than her what her stress levels, budget, free time, relationship status, cooking knowledge, body image, and detailed health report are?
    4. How do I know if she is healthy or heading for disaster?

I want to say something so they can be healthier, because I realize now how much better your life can be with positive changes. Since I started running and now that I'm taking control of my food intake for real, I feel amazing. I have more energy, I feel like I can do anything I want, I'm proud of myself, and I want them to feel those things too. I'll always worry about them - with the way we all grew up, I don't think that will ever stop. It's the second question you asked, HOW can I show her a change should be made that is most important to me. As far as #3 is concerned, my eldest of the three I think I do know better than herself - she has many times come to me because she doesn't know what to do, or is about to make a decision and wants me to help direct her because I can see longer term consequences than she can. The other two are harder, maybe because they are much younger, maybe not. And for #4, well, I can see health disaster for the youngest two - they are morbidly obese - at some time in the sooner than later future, and for the oldest, she puts a lot of weight on importance on her appearance I know she probably hates her weight gain, but is also really embarrassed to ask for help on things like that, and she recently had a devastating break up during which she would call me at 3am and talk for 2-3 hours at a time. She, I am POSITIVE, is on a fast track to a psychological disaster and her weight is going to play heavily into that, I fear. I've been working to get her psychological help, but she lives three hours away so there's only so much I can do.

At any rate, it's a sucky position to be in, no matter what your relationship with your sister is like...
  • sparklefrogz
    sparklefrogz Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    At any rate, it's a sucky position to be in, no matter what your relationship with your sister is like...

It is. My sister and I live in the same city, halfway across North America from our parents. I'm older enough than my sis that I have a lot of extra experience and perspective she's lacking. I'm also close enough to her that I see a lot my mom doesn't! There are LOTS of things I'd love to tell my sister that would vastly improve her financial situation, her relationship with her partner, her career, and make her healthier both physically and emotionally.

But she is a adult. She's not a child, and she's not my child (even if I feel like a surrogate mom at times). Her journey has to be her own, just like mine was. I'm not responsible for her -- SHE is responsible for HERSELF now. My job is not to change her, fix her, or help her grow up more painlessly than I did; these jobs are too big for me and belong to the universe/life/god. My only job now is to love her and be there for her. Besides, she knows where to find me if she wants my advice or help.

This is also true of my husband, who has been morbidly obese since he was eight years old, and my mother, who has struggled with weight, body image, and psychological issues around food for as long as I can remember.

I am not perfect at this. I still worry, I still get critical, I still think "if only s/he would ...then they wouldn't have that problem". But everyone's journey is their own, and I know how I react to unsolicited advice or well-intentioned "suggestions" and pushiness. (Hint: it doesn't result in me seeing the light, adopting the advice-giver's ideas wholesale, and seeing miraculous positive change in my life.)

Anyway, I'm not sure if I'm writing this more for you or for myself. :P Thanks for posting the topic. It made me think more about how I relate to my family members.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    From the time I had children, I was always heavier than my 14 months older sister. She was always at a healthy weight. After I had reached my highest weight (188), I slowly started exercising, eating less and losing weight. My sister gained about 25 extra pounds when I was on my way down and eventually was about 10 pounds heavier than me. I continued to lose until I got to my goal. During this time I told her how strange it was that I was actually thinner than she was. I told her she needed to shed those extra pounds for her health's sake. She finally decided that it wouldn't do that she was heavier so she got herself to WW and lost the extra!
    I guess a little healthy competition between sisters really worked!
    Now we are both at goal and maintaining and we are each other's biggest cheerleaders! At our ages-60 and 61 we want to stay healthy and fit as we grow older.
    To the OP-my sister and I only spoke of weightloss when we needed support from one another. When your siblings are open to it-then by all means, offer support, otherwise, keep to your own journey and believe me-they will be aware of what you're accomplishing and do it for themselves when they are ready.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    If family/friends want help or encouragement with weight loss, they will ask for it. Until then, I don't say a word. I can't even imagine bringing it up. People know when they are fat. People know how to lose weight. We all have to decide on our own that it bothers us enough to do something about it. Having somebody point out your fatness is not helpful.
    ^^^^^^^^
    (*) THIS (*)
    Forget being a light to your friends and family. Just work on you, make new connections and accept that old friends and family want you to fail. There're not happy for your achievement but jealous.
    Hold your peace...

• FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    No, I said YOU should worry about being a kind person and leave your sisters alone. Not worry about if they are kind.

I am a kind person, which is why I worry and care about their health and well-being. I don't care what they look like, I care that they are healthy.

Well, they are your family so of course you care. But....it's still THEIR lives and how they choose to live and eat is really not your business.

Today at my grocery store there was a woman who I guesses was about 45. She was using the store's motorized cart. She was at the very least 400 pounds. And I'll admit I glanced in her shopping basket - it was full of high calorie snacks and other not too healthy choices. I caught myself making judgement about her. I felt ashamed of myself because I know that but for the grace of goodness that could have been me. And I also reminded myself that what she chooses to eat is 100% not my business.

I think that just like any reformed person, being a new non smoker, a recovering alcoholic, or even a new religious convert; we just want to SHARE what we now know about our healthier lives. That old "If I can do it, you can too" thinking. But we have to remember that others' lives are NOT our business. Just my 2 cents.

• njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    It isn't your place to say anything about anyone's weight. To do so is to risk ruining your relationship with your siblings. It also isn't your place to decide that someone else's weight is "gross." That attitude will surely come through if you speak to them about it.
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    My half sister is 16 years younger than me. Also 5-7 inches shorter than my 5'7" frame. I think she wears a two were as I've never been under a 7 and didn't look good then. I actually found MFP through my sister. She is just looking to lose a few vanity pounds. While I'm looking to improve my cholesterol numbers and become healthier. I'm glad she has been one of the supportive ones. I had too many cousins growing up calling me beached whale among other terms.
    I would leave them alone. If they seek help then you can give them advice but remember they may not take it either.
    68006032.png
  • SpockAdventures
    Options
    njitaliana wrote: »
    It also isn't your place to decide that someone else's weight is "gross." That attitude will surely come through if you speak to them about it.

You are likely right, and it's not my place, but I don't shy away from the judgments I make internally, one way or the other. Fact is, we all judge everyone else whether we want to or not. I have just learned to own that and recognize that these are snap judgments, not based on real understanding. I also am one that is not down with the recent "fat acceptance" movements - I do believe that morbid obesity is self/society-made and that there is no excuse for that kind of obesity, so yeah, I can be judgey. We all are, it's just the difference of whether or not one admits it.

[/quote]^^^^^^^^
    (*) THIS (*)
    Forget being a light to your friends and family. Just work on you, make new connections and accept that old friends and family want you to fail. There're not happy for your achievement but jealous.
    Hold your peace...

[/quote]

Thank you, I forget to do that once in a while. :smile:
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    My only sibling, a sister (18 months younger) was easily 140kg or more. She ate nothing but carbs and junk her whole life. She had some issues, so my parents (and everyone else) indulged her every whim thinking that not ever saying No to her was doing her a favour. She died of a heart attack at 37.
  • SpockAdventures
    Options
    shai74 wrote: »
    My only sibling, a sister (18 months younger) was easily 140kg or more. She ate nothing but carbs and junk her whole life. She had some issues, so my parents (and everyone else) indulged her every whim thinking that not ever saying No to her was doing her a favour. She died of a heart attack at 37.

This is exactly what I'm afraid of. No one ever saying anything, just looking the other way, and them either dying young or thinking people don't care about them. This is EXACTLY my fear.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options

It is. My sister and I live in the same city, halfway across North America from our parents. I'm older enough than my sis that I have a lot of extra experience and perspective she's lacking. I'm also close enough to her that I see a lot my mom doesn't! There are LOTS of things I'd love to tell my sister that would vastly improve her financial situation, her relationship with her partner, her career, and make her healthier both physically and emotionally.

But she is a adult. She's not a child, and she's not my child (even if I feel like a surrogate mom at times). Her journey has to be her own, just like mine was. I'm not responsible for her -- SHE is responsible for HERSELF now. My job is not to change her, fix her, or help her grow up more painlessly than I did; these jobs are too big for me and belong to the universe/life/god. My only job now is to love her and be there for her. Besides, she knows where to find me if she wants my advice or help.

This is also true of my husband, who has been morbidly obese since he was eight years old, and my mother, who has struggled with weight, body image, and psychological issues around food for as long as I can remember.

I am not perfect at this. I still worry, I still get critical, I still think "if only s/he would ...then they wouldn't have that problem". But everyone's journey is their own, and I know how I react to unsolicited advice or well-intentioned "suggestions" and pushiness. (Hint: it doesn't result in me seeing the light, adopting the advice-giver's ideas wholesale, and seeing miraculous positive change in my life.)

Anyway, I'm not sure if I'm writing this more for you or for myself. :P Thanks for posting the topic. It made me think more about how I relate to my family members.

Wow this was an amazing post.

• SpockAdventures
    Options
    Just random note that made me very happy - while reading through this, my oldest sister and I have been talking and she freely told me without prompting she signed up for a gym membership, I asked her if I could give her one piece of advice on exercising and she said sure to which I told her that she just has to do it and not look for secret motivational tips. Just get it done. Just knowing that she is taking a step forward for herself lifts a part of that weight off my shoulders.