30 lbs in 90 days challenge

Options

Replies

• BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I'd think 2 lbs a week would be the max you'd want to lose. 10 lbs a month is INSANE. Unless morbidly obese and that would be under doctor supervision. But you're right, no one can stop you. Just trying to prevent you from taking others down with you.
  • missjazminenicole
    missjazminenicole Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I'd think 2 lbs a week would be the max you'd want to lose. 10 lbs a month is INSANE. Unless morbidly obese and that would be under doctor supervision. But you're right, no one can stop you. Just trying to prevent you from taking others down with you.

You must be dillusional... 8 lbs drops in water weight in a week sometimes. 8 lbs is an average for monthly loss. Now all the sudden two extra lbs is INSANE lol? Come on. Find something to do other than trolling and demonizing us who happen to lose weight a bit faster. I encourage everyone to lose weight at their own pace and with sustainable habits. If you don't hit 30, love what you did hit. But give it your all. The challenge is merely a way to be focused and supported as opposed to demonized for trying your best and losing weight differently than others. you say bring people down when I'm only trying to help lift people up. You don't have to join, but don't spend your time trying to make everyone else feel bad for wanting to. I respect your journey and the weight you've lost thus far and i hope that you continue to do well.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options

You must be dillusional... 8 lbs drops in water weight in a week sometimes. 8 lbs is an average for monthly loss. Now all the sudden two extra lbs is INSANE lol? Come on. Find something to do other than trolling and demonizing us who happen to lose weight a bit faster. I encourage everyone to lose weight at their own pace and with sustainable habits. If you don't hit 30, love what you did hit. But give it your all. The challenge is merely a way to be focused and supported as opposed to demonized for trying your best and losing weight differently than others. you say bring people down when I'm only trying to help lift people up. You don't have to join, but don't spend your time trying to make everyone else feel bad for wanting to. I respect your journey and the weight you've lost thus far and i hope that you continue to do well.

I just want to clear up that the 8lb water weight loss is not something that happens more than once unless you gain that water weight again. No one thinks water weight loss is excessive, but it is also quickly and easily regained.

What she is talking about being excessive, is a goal of that amount of consistent fat loss.
  • missjazminenicole
    Options

I just want to clear up that the 8lb water weight loss is not something that happens more than once unless you gain that water weight again. No one thinks water weight loss is excessive, but it is also quickly and easily regained.

What she is talking about being excessive, is a goal of that amount of consistent fat loss.

I totally agree with cutting down over time like you said in your previous post. But at the end of the day, if I continue to lose more than 2lbs, I won't be upset. I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing and that's changing my life style to be a healthier one :)
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options

I totally agree with cutting down over time like you said in your previous post. But at the end of the day, if I continue to lose more than 2lbs, I won't be upset. I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing and that's changing my life style to be a healthier one :)

Keep the focus on health and let the weight loss just be a byproduct of that change and you will be fine. Be careful that scale movement can tempt many to take unhealthy measures to keep it at a predetermined pace. Be well! :smile:
  • missjazminenicole
    Options

Keep the focus on health and let the weight loss just be a byproduct of that change and you will be fine. Be careful that scale movement can tempt many to take unhealthy measures to keep it at a predetermined pace. Be well! :smile:

Thanks! I also have a waist size goal. I think the scale can be deceiving so I'd like to lose a total of 11inches from my waist. I'm down 3 inches with 9 more to go. Progress is a process; one that definitely takes patience!
  • lizzie14115
    lizzie14115 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    anyone know how i forward this on to my friends to invite them to the challenge?
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    My micro goal is to lose 10lbs a month. My mini goal is 30lbs by Jan 1st.

Check your math...

Per OP, Challenge starts Oct 31st.

10lbs/mo X 2 months (Nov & Dec) = 20 lbs
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    socalkay wrote: »

Check your math...

Yeaaaaaah except that I started this goal at the start of October, so no I don't need to check my math. Oct, Nov, Dec is roughly 90 days. My personal goal is similar to her challenge which is why I felt qualified to speak about it. I won't be joining her challenge because I'm already in the middle of my own, same target, just started month earlier than hers. That's why I said it was MY mini goal.

I have roughly 80lbs to lose. If I feel like I am capable of attempting something great why would I settle for personal mediocrity?
    If I think I can do 20 sit ups today why would I say, "meh why not just do 10 and call it quits?" That won't make me any stronger and I will have done myself a disservice.
    If I think I can happily and in a healthy way lose even somewhere in the area of 30lbs in three months, why would I say "oh just try for 9lbs" when I KNOW I can do better than that?.
    That's not how I live any part of my life. I'm not afraid to fall short of my life goals. I'm not going to set half *ssed goals because I'm afraid I might not reach bigger ones. Even if I only lose 20 I'll know I tried, really tried.

And as I get closer to my goal I'll slowly adjust things as needed and reassess my situation.

But for everyone to say that people with bigger goals are setting themselves up for sadness and failure is just horrible. Is that how you live your whole lives? Telling people to never strive because they may not make it? What's that saying , "I'm going to shoot for the moon and even if I don't make it, at least I'll land among the stars"?

• BombshellPhoenix
    edited October 2014
    Options
    The advice is for the sake of health both mental and physical. This isn't about a scale number. This isn't about a destination. It should be about lasting change. Listening to successful people on the board, reflecting through success stories, you'll see even people who had 100s to lose did to at a sustainable pace and those that have stayed to help others only want what is best.

We're not haters. We just know what it's like to want something so badly. To know what it's like to want to get their fast but the fact is, slower loss is healthier. Whether you listen to that is totally up to you but I'd rather at least get my input in there.

Sustained periods of VLCD might get you your scale number but don't be disappointed by the results. Best of luck.

ETA : I don't have a weight loss goal. I lost 53 lbs in 9 months and that ended in February of this year. I've been maintaing/bulking through lifting. My goals aren't a number. I want to spend my life continuing to improve myself and I love helping others. Some are willing to listen, some aren't.
  • MsHarryWinston
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Well of course we all want it to be long lasting and sustaining. Some people just stay on track better when they set a goal. I can't speak for anyone else but I know that personally if I don't have a firm challenging goal in mind with pretty much anything I attempt I'm much more likely to just throw up my hands and be all "Eff it, can't be bothered today." If I aim for 2lbs a week I might get 2 or I might only get 1 and that's cool. But if I aim for one I'll probably gain a pound instead, lol.

You also seem to be under the impression that having an aggressive goal means you want something "so badly", and are willing to do anything to get it. That may be true for some people but not everyone.

Once again I can in no way speak for everyone but I've only been over weight for a few years. Like 3? And I've been at the top of that for maybe 1.5 Or 2? I spent my summers at military camp. I gained weight because I work nights on my butt and stopped paying attention to what I put in my mouth. But my body snaps back really fast because being active and pushed is its natural state and it responds quickly. It always has. I gained weight over the school year, spend a few weeks at camp and come back a fit beast. I've also studied nutrition.

I'm not desperate to lose this weight. I'm sexy as hell. But I want it gone. Because it's not me. I feel like I'm in someone else's body. Being this size is abnormal for me. I'm not in a super speedy rush, but I'm not about to snail pace it either just because some people on the internet don't see how there can be a correlation between going at a faster pace, staying steady but also allowing yourself to be flexible.

Yes I have a weight loss goal. No that's not a bad thing. Yes I have a number in my head, but will it change? Probably. I will take inches lost over pounds lost anyday. Do I have a daily calorie goal? Yes. Am I afraid to be flexible with it and eat above them if I feel I need to? No. I'm not afraid to skip a whole week of working out. I plan to make this a lifestyle change not a one time diet.

It's great that you want to help people and give advice. But your arrogance is in assuming that your advice is correct for everyone's situation.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    Options
    Call me arrogant all you want but overly aggressive sustained dieting has negative impacts on health. I'm not assuming anything. I'm telling you facts. If you want to run the risk of losing muscle mass, hair, lowering the calories it takes you to maintain, and the laundry list of negative impacts that are a result of it. Be my guest. Go for it. Shoot for the stars.

So, I'm confused. . Are you doing 2 lbs a week? Do you even know what your rate of loss is? Did you just pick a random number to hit by x date? It's all over the place, at this point.

whatever, good luck.
  • MsHarryWinston
    Options
    Call me arrogant all you want but overly aggressive sustained dieting has negative impacts on health. I'm not assuming anything. I'm telling you facts. If you want to run the risk of losing muscle mass, hair, lowering the calories it takes you to maintain, and the laundry list of negative impacts that are a result of it. Be my guest. Go for it. Shoot for the stars.

So, I'm confused. . Are you doing 2 lbs a week? Do you even know what your rate of loss is? Did you just pick a random number to hit by x date? It's all over the place, at this point.

whatever, good luck.
    It's a 3 month goal. "Sustained" implies trying to stay at this rate for 1 year or more.
    Say two pounds a week 4 weeks a month that's 8 pounds. 8 x 3 =24. But 24 is just a weird number to me so I just make it nice and round and say 30. 30 in 3, I like the sound of it Nothing is set in stone it's just something to shoot for. People take weight loss so d*mn seriously. It doesn't have to be. Throwing out a goal number doesn't mean it's set in stone. And for me it works better than saying "I'm just going to fart around with no direction and see what happens tra la la."
    And yes I know what my rate of loss is.

You keep speaking to me as if I'm not ABUNDANTLY aware of the different risks and impacts no matter I say. So yes, that is arrogant. You don't seem to grasp that when a person KNOWS the facts they can then use that knowledge to make sure they stay out of the danger zone. You keep looking at everything in black as white.

We might as well just agree to disagree because we will never come to an accord about this.
  • lizzie14115
    Options
    Well said Ms HarryWinston, i totally agree with you :)
  • missjazminenicole
    Options
    anyone know how i forward this on to my friends to invite them to the challenge?

yes go to the group and you can just say add friend and type in their info or you can just send them the link in a message :)
  • missjazminenicole
    Options
    socalkay wrote: »

Check your math...

Yeaaaaaah except that I started this goal at the start of October, so no I don't need to check my math. Oct, Nov, Dec is roughly 90 days. My personal goal is similar to her challenge which is why I felt qualified to speak about it. I won't be joining her challenge because I'm already in the middle of my own, same target, just started month earlier than hers. That's why I said it was MY mini goal.

I have roughly 80lbs to lose. If I feel like I am capable of attempting something great why would I settle for personal mediocrity?
    If I think I can do 20 sit ups today why would I say, "meh why not just do 10 and call it quits?" That won't make me any stronger and I will have done myself a disservice.
    If I think I can happily and in a healthy way lose even somewhere in the area of 30lbs in three months, why would I say "oh just try for 9lbs" when I KNOW I can do better than that?.
    That's not how I live any part of my life. I'm not afraid to fall short of my life goals. I'm not going to set half *ssed goals because I'm afraid I might not reach bigger ones. Even if I only lose 20 I'll know I tried, really tried.

And as I get closer to my goal I'll slowly adjust things as needed and reassess my situation.

But for everyone to say that people with bigger goals are setting themselves up for sadness and failure is just horrible. Is that how you live your whole lives? Telling people to never strive because they may not make it? What's that saying , "I'm going to shoot for the moon and even if I don't make it, at least I'll land among the stars"?

I love this! I wish you tons of luck on your process. I also started losing weight in general at the beginning of this month. I also have a bout 70-80 lbs total to lose so we're kind of in the same boat. You can still feel free to join the challenge if only for the support, encouragement, and celebration of great weigh ins :)
  • missjazminenicole
    Options
    Just for reference I eat 1400 cals a day in balanced meal in smaller portions.
  • lizzie14115
    Options
    bump
  • missjazminenicole
    Options
    bump