NoelleED wrote: »
    I read everything DiabolicalColossus writes with a British accent. :smiley:
    :smiley::smiley:

• NoelleED
    NoelleED Posts: 148
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I got lost forever when someone said Mountain Dew given to infants isn't detrimental. I think that, all by itself, proves the thread.

You have proof giving a small amount to an infant will kill them?

I also said many other very important things, but you didn't bother reading them or commenting on them. You took away one small point I made and it is 100% accurate.

You have proof that giving a small amount of crack to an infant will kill them?

Soda actually IS detrimental, or at least that is what my PHYSICIAN told me back when she informed me that kids are obese with rickets. Soda strips calcium out of the system.

But sure, whatever floats your boat. I never said it should be a child endangerment charge, but just that we would do well to educate people. I'm not trying to limit your cup size, bro.
  • DiabolicalColossus
    DiabolicalColossus Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Troll level: teenage girl.

Unimpressive.

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I got lost forever when someone said Mountain Dew given to infants isn't detrimental. I think that, all by itself, proves the thread.

I also said many other very important things, but you didn't bother reading them or commenting on them. You took away one small point I made and it is 100% accurate.

Soda actually IS detrimental, or at least that is what my PHYSICIAN told me back when she informed me that kids are obese with rickets. Soda strips calcium out of the system.

But sure, whatever floats your boat. I never said it should be a child endangerment charge, but just that we would do well to educate people. I'm not trying to limit your cup size, bro.

Well, crack is illegal and not the same chemical make up of soda, so that's not even close to a comparison.

Your physician told you and that's just it. That's all. The word of some random doctor that you saw. That's not proof and there's zero context to the statement of which part of soda strips calcium or how much. Context is important, not blanket statements. Once again, small amounts of soda is not detrimental.

Also, I'm a woman not a "bro".
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Yeah, steady intake of soda holds calcium in the bloodstream and keeps uptake from the bones. A small amount of it won't do that. It doesn't actually 'strip' calcium out of the system, it just stops the uptake.
    I'm a little confused by the statement 'kids are obese with rickets'. That's actually two different disorders.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    So we have a DVR and very rarely have to watch commercials (other than the Superbowl ads) Sometimes we'll catch a food ad and think-who eats that stuff, no wonder the country is fat. Yesterday I caught an ad for Lipton Iced Tea geared to kids that pushed me to write to the company. It shows cartoon characters at a picnic and one holds up a glass of water and complains that it has no taste, the solution is to drink Lipton Iced Tea because it has flavor. I know in the past cereal companies and junk food companies have taken heat---but it is so wrong on so many levels to put out to kids that drinking water is wrong!!!
    End of rant!

How would you suggest companies sell their products if they don't advertise? That's kind of the point....
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    Options
    Does no one realize it takes water to make tea...

There's no harm in 'doctoring' your water IF you can't stomach the mineral taste of plain water. Plain water literally makes my husband sick enough to vomit. So he brews tea, or dilutes lemonade, or adds a splash of Cranberry Apple Raspberry to iced water, or if he's in a super hurry, he'll pick a flavored seltzer water.

Wondering. OP did you write to Kool-Aid, Tang, Country Time, Hawaiian Punch, Ovaltine, Swiss Miss, Crystal Light, etc, etc, etc, as well?
  • CiciRoscoe
    CiciRoscoe Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think we should stop blaming the media for our poor food choices or the choices we lay in front of our children. If you teach them from the beginning to eat whole good foods, fruits and veggies etc. they will appreciate them. The same with water! My children have never had another option besides water with any meal, unless we are out to dinner or at a relative or friends home. Nor have I ever pushed my bad eating habits on my children. They both are disgusted when I eat McDonalds....
  • NoelleED
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Yeah, steady intake of soda holds calcium in the bloodstream and keeps uptake from the bones. A small amount of it won't do that. It doesn't actually 'strip' calcium out of the system, it just stops the uptake.
    I'm a little confused by the statement 'kids are obese with rickets'. That's actually two different disorders.

It goes back to an earlier comment I made. My son's doctor was telling me that they are seeing children who are obese with rickets, which is actually something they have never seen before. Rickets comes from malnutrition. So.... obese and malnourished.

The thing that fascinates me about this thread is how resistant people are to CONSUMERS contacting a company with a complaint. That is not anti free market or anything, it's actually quite participatory. Also, nobody is trying to take your stuff away or tell you how to behave. Nor are they trying to raise your kids. Just the free market at work, same as if you don't buy something because you don't like it.

Ever boycott a business? Ever make a complaint about something you bought? Same thing.
  • NoelleED
    Options
    Maybe we should make soda illegal.
  • NoelleED
    Options
    lol anyways, paz bro.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »

Well, crack is illegal and not the same chemical make up of soda, so that's not even close to a comparison.

Your physician told you and that's just it. That's all. The word of some random doctor that you saw. That's not proof and there's zero context to the statement of which part of soda strips calcium or how much. Context is important, not blanket statements. Once again, small amounts of soda is not detrimental.

Also, I'm a woman not a "bro".

Why the F do so many people refer to you as a male? I've never once saw your avatars in the forums and thought "that's a man". I am actually kind of flabbergasted.

:lol: I don't know. The best one was my stomach fat thread where the girl got really upset because her kids ruined her body and I wouldn't know what that's like...yeah, I have two of my own.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Which one of you wrote me about 6 personal messages about how dumb I am, and how I'm a fat dumb *kitten*? I can't remember now. Pity MFP is so full of twits and bullies. It certainly makes me hate the threads, so much hostility over so little.
    Are you serious?!?!?! Someone was hysterical enough to do that?
    Wow. Just wow.

• usmcmp
    Options
    Which one of you wrote me about 6 personal messages about how dumb I am, and how I'm a fat dumb *kitten*? I can't remember now. Pity MFP is so full of twits and bullies. It certainly makes me hate the threads, so much hostility over so little.

This seems like unnecessary drama. If you did get a nasty message you know who sent it. We don't actually put up with people being mean like that, so if you did get a nasty message instead of bringing it up to increase drama please send a message to a moderator like Olivia http://www.myfitnesspal.com/Olivia
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    603reader wrote: »
    What's wrong with tea?

Think the point was them discouraging children from drinking water.

I have not seen the ad, but I agree that the concept is wrong. Children don't need caffeine, or to see ads telling that water is tasteless. Children learn from everything they see. This sounds like a very irresponsible ad.

as if kids have jobs and can buy this stuff on their own ..

be a parent and say "no, you can't have that" …

wow...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ElliottTN wrote: »
    Well hopefully the kids that see television advertising also have parents who put their big boy/girl pants on and take their role in their children's lives seriously. If not then an advertisement about Lipton tea should be the least of societies worries.

you expect too much ..