Clean Eating vs Exercise

Options
12346»

Replies

• I have cut down on calories and I exercise, walking, or spinning, going to the gym 6 days a week. It used to work but doesn't due to my age. I am willing to try anything healthy.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is about Calorie Deficit. You create a calorie deficit by eating less, or by moving more, or by a combination of them both.

Fitness and "tone" and composition of your body is about exercise.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Raynne413 wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    You can eat over your maintenance calories and still lose weight if you're exercising.

Explain...
    It doesn't matter how many calories you eat. If you burn off enough, you will still lose weight. Theoretically, you could eat 100,000 calories a day and if you burned 100,010, you'd be losing.

The idea that weight loss cannot be accomplished with exercise is hogwash. You don't have to eat under some number. You can go over the number and still lose by working it off. Weight loss doesn't happen in a vacuum in the kitchen.

If people don't agree, that's fine. I'm not here to argue. Someone else will surely show up who did log in to fight, lol. I'm just saying that you can lose weight by exercising, even if you eat over your maintenance number. If you want. If you don't want to rely on exercise, that's cool, too.

Whatever floats your boat. :)

Definitely just a communication error now that you summed up your thoughts. The problem with your side is that exercise plays into your maintenance calories. My maintenance is 3600 calories, this includes exercise. I cannot eat over maintenance and still lose. It's clear that you just didn't know what maintenance calories actually were. Hopefully, you have learned something.
    I always assumed from context that maintenance calories were the calories required to maintain your weight. I didn't realize this was a concept that fluctuated with amounts of exercise done.

I am 100% guilty of not being hip to fitness buzzwords and have, indeed, learned a little.

What is the definition of "maintenance" as it applies to calories...or "maintenance calories" (if it's one concept with two words, lol)?

And why can't you eat over your 3600 and just do more exercise and still lose? I'm thinking that's nuts. Where am I wrong?

Because if you did more exercise, those calories would be added into your maintenance calories. Maintenance calories are basically your TDEE. If you eat the exact same amount of calories you expend (including exercise), you will maintain your weight.
    So, these maintenance calories are a constantly changing thing? No wonder you can't eat over them.

I don't know my TDEE or any of that. Since I'd lost forty pounds before I started with MFP, I decided to dance with who brung me and not bother with all that. If what I do stops working, I'll happily give it a go. Not anti-TDEE, just not going that route right now.

I'm going to withdraw my questions, lol. I don't want to know.

But thanks! :)

TDEE works better for people who are set in their exercise regimen. I know that I am going to the gym at the same time every week. My weekly output doesn't change all that much. For people who exercise sporadically or just to eat more for the day, it would be a little more difficult.

Glad we all got on the same communication page :)

• April0010
    April0010 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Slacker16 wrote: »
    So clean eating means your only source of protein and dietary fat is milk...

Not sure if want.
    MrM27 wrote: »
    rsclause wrote: »
    I wont define "clean eating" but I can tell you what my last visit to the grocery store was like. I had twenty items and the only things not from the produce aisle were wine, milk and deodorant.
    so what are you saying?
    That wine is good and we should always include it in our shopping carts. That's what I took from it. B)
    That's the only thing I thought as well :) Except my state sucks so I can't get wine at the grocery store.
    I'm always fascinated when you can get liquor and groceries together. Here we can't.
    You got no right to complain, in NY I've even seen beer at the Rite Aid.

In NJ, you can't purchase alcohol anywhere aside from liquor stores and bars. When I want to get drunk and eat my weight in Doritos, I need to stop in two stores. The struggle is real.

Bless my country. You can get liquor pretty much everywhere. Tiny neighborhood stores, pharmacies, chuck e cheeses, shopping malls, grocery stores, etc.

Then again, we are a third world country, we have plenty reasons to drink.

I live in the south...they sell liquor at clothing stores down here...and guns too ...bahahahahahahaha

Love it. I've only really been to Texas and Florida (not sure if same as your definition of South, though). In Texas, you could get beer and wine at a grocery store, but no liquor. In Florida, grocery stores had smaller liquor stores attached to main grocery store to buy alcohol; basically, I guess the rule was that they had to be in separate buildings, so you had to "leave" the Savemart and go to Savemart "Liquor" for your booze. I'll admit it's been awhile since I was in Florida, so I don't know if my memory is bad or the rules have changed.

In California, there aren't any special laws concerning the sale of alcohol (i.e. you can get it in a grocery store, liquor store, wherever and the ABV of beer means nothing besides it'll get you drunk faster).

Texas is not the south, Texas is Texas :P
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    So I've started clean eating and keeping within 1200 calories as well as cycling at least 4 times a week (anywhere between 30 mins to 1 hour time dependant). Someone told me that exercise isn't actually that important in weightloss and that it's more the clean eating that has an effect, whereas the gym told me as long as I do good, quality workout sessions it doesn't really matter what I eat (within moderation). I always thought it was essential to have a balance between the 2 in order to lose weight in the optimum way?
    I was calorie counting before and saw no difference, as soon as I upped my exercise regime I started seeing results. I was just wondering what works best for other people personally?

I have not read any replies, but.....in my opinion neither exercise nor clean eating are essential for weight loss. Weight loss is all about eating less calories than you burn, but both exercise and eating plan are all about choice and what you feel keeps you on track.

Good luck.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »
    Slacker16 wrote: »
    So clean eating means your only source of protein and dietary fat is milk...

Not sure if want.
    MrM27 wrote: »
    rsclause wrote: »
    I wont define "clean eating" but I can tell you what my last visit to the grocery store was like. I had twenty items and the only things not from the produce aisle were wine, milk and deodorant.
    so what are you saying?
    That wine is good and we should always include it in our shopping carts. That's what I took from it. B)
    That's the only thing I thought as well :) Except my state sucks so I can't get wine at the grocery store.
    I'm always fascinated when you can get liquor and groceries together. Here we can't.
    You got no right to complain, in NY I've even seen beer at the Rite Aid.

In NJ, you can't purchase alcohol anywhere aside from liquor stores and bars. When I want to get drunk and eat my weight in Doritos, I need to stop in two stores. The struggle is real.

Bless my country. You can get liquor pretty much everywhere. Tiny neighborhood stores, pharmacies, chuck e cheeses, shopping malls, grocery stores, etc.

Then again, we are a third world country, we have plenty reasons to drink.

I live in the south...they sell liquor at clothing stores down here...and guns too ...bahahahahahahaha

Love it. I've only really been to Texas and Florida (not sure if same as your definition of South, though). In Texas, you could get beer and wine at a grocery store, but no liquor. In Florida, grocery stores had smaller liquor stores attached to main grocery store to buy alcohol; basically, I guess the rule was that they had to be in separate buildings, so you had to "leave" the Savemart and go to Savemart "Liquor" for your booze. I'll admit it's been awhile since I was in Florida, so I don't know if my memory is bad or the rules have changed.

In California, there aren't any special laws concerning the sale of alcohol (i.e. you can get it in a grocery store, liquor store, wherever and the ABV of beer means nothing besides it'll get you drunk faster).
    Florida is wacky and what flies in one county may not fly in another. Then the theme parks get to make their own rules.

Where I am, if you want booze, you go to either a stand-alone liquor store or one attached to a grocery store. They're under the same roof as the grocery store, but you have to leave the grocery store, walk along the length of the building and enter the liquor store.

But even though we're the southernmost state (continental), we are not considered The South, so there's that.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i started out walking daily at a good clip without changing my eating habits, and lost weight at about the same rate as i do eating at a 500 calorie per day deficit. i think the big problem with exercise is that most HRMs and all calculators not only tend to exaggerate the number of calories burned for an exercise period, but also none of them agree with each other.
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    It's both. If one is physically incapable of walking, biking or any other exercise then you have to rely totally on food intake to control weight. If you are not over-weight and just need to tone up then exercise and strength training will be what you need. If you are 100+ pounds over-weight, you might need to focus more on diet until you are able to workout. Every person is different.

I created my own plan to include both. I'm not going for rapid results; just slow and steady. I'm going with the 'move more/eat less' plan, as it's rather painless. I can easily shave a couple hundred calories from my daily intake and I can totally get enough exercise in to burn a couple hundred calories, for a daily caloric savings of 400 calories. Like I said, I won't see rapid results, but I don't need to.
  • chicacherry666
    Options
    As they say diet to look good in clothes, exercise to look good naked :) lol
  • FayeandBo
    FayeandBo Posts: 46
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I honestly know people who eat whatever but exercise a lot so they stay fit, and I know people who don't exercise a lot but eat clean and are also fit. You can do either if your only goal is to lose weight since it's just more calories burned than put in but if you want to be really healthy and get maximum results both is the best
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    It's a combination of both. Eating healthy foods is good for nutrition: it makes you feel better and you'll have a lower chance of long-term health problems (type 2 diabetes, heart problems). I would not cut out foods I enjoy completely, though, because it just makes me want them more and I'm more likely to overdo it when I do finally get a treat. Keep a nice balance of about 80% "healthy" (fits your macros) and 20% "indulgent" (sugar, sodium).

Exercise is good because it can make you have more energy, can help balance the chemicals in your brain (lower chance of depression), and the weight you lose has a higher percentage of fat than it would be if you didn't exercise.
  • lilyann001
    lilyann001 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is about expending more calories than the calories you consume. Exercise is important for your body's health, it's not just for losing weight because it improves muscle strength and cardiovascular health. The more you exercise as well, the more calories you burn. So you can either use the calories you burn to eat more or to bank the calories and lose weight faster. I have heard from a personal trainer at a gym that for dieting: it is 60% about what you eat and 40% exercise. Both are vital for the best results for weight loss.