Are you about to ask the forums why you aren't losing weight?! Read This First!

Options

Replies

• jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    In for common sense.

It gets old seeing people say that things need to be switched up, food types or macros need to be restricted, etc. when someone says they aren't losing on x amount of calories (only to find out they hardly log and when they do it's not pretty).
  • jessiruthica
    jessiruthica Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    The root reason is not CICO. Yes, that's the physical reason that they gained weight, but there can be so much emotion behind eating, everything up to and including clinical depression. Many many times a person needs to address both the physical aspects of becoming healthier along with the mental/emotional aspects. To the poster who said she was learning how NOT to eat emotionally, that's as much of an important step as learning to eat healthier options.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Good post....I have question though...how does one discover their root reasons for being overweight? I mean I could write a whole book on how messed up my head is in most of my thinking, on the low self esteem I've for most of my life, etc. but I don't want to bore. I can say though that the other night I came home from work upset about something, and nearly reached for the chips for comfort...but realized what I was doing and drew back. I do find that when I come home from work I often have a strong desire to "munch" comfort foods...I've been resisting lately and fixing supper instead, but I have a feeling that is only scratching the surface.

Professional help for underlying issues.

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    For what its worth - A is a bogus excuse no matter how you look at it. When I was squeezing myself into pants that didn't fit, because I didn't want to admit they didn't fit, I wasn't totally oblivious to the 'problem'!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Yoga Pants!!

Genius_gif.gif
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,124 Member
    Options
    The root reason is not CICO. Yes, that's the physical reason that they gained weight, but there can be so much emotion behind eating, everything up to and including clinical depression. Many many times a person needs to address both the physical aspects of becoming healthier along with the mental/emotional aspects. To the poster who said she was learning how NOT to eat emotionally, that's as much of an important step as learning to eat healthier options.

I know it is disagreeing over how things are stated, but yes, CICO is the reason they gained weight. The root of why they eat (stress/comfort, boredom, social factors, etc) is important, but it is not technically speaking, the root of the weight gain, simply to root of the cause for the root of the weight gain.
  • Tbaby1514
    Tbaby1514 Posts: 216 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

This is exactly what I was trying to say when I put: "The real reasons you gain weight" part

• CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
    Options

I gained weight because I overate. Why I overate is another question. Maybe because I love food, or I am bored in the afternoons,i am sedentary. etc

• ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    ChuckThumbsUp_zpsd5c8de0c.jpg
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    facebook-like-button.gif
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options

Yes, but you know how the first step to overcoming an issue is admitting you have a problem? The first step in overcoming emotional overeating is admitting that you are overeating and that unless someone tied you down and force fed you, you are the one who puts the food in your mouth.

I know that's not the whole solution, but it has to be step one. Then deal with the issue that's cause the overeating. Some people need counseling for that, but not all.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    BUT IT'S MY GENES! :)
    Don't you mean yoga pants?

PP is correct; the people who need to read this won't.

• LauraDubbleya
    LauraDubbleya Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    duly noted. Thanks for the wake up call.
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Oh please
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Tanie98 wrote: »
    Oh please

Huh?

• gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Best post of the day. People need to hear the facts and get a little tough love sometimes. Bravo, OP.
  • Tbaby1514
    Options
    Tanie98 wrote: »
    Oh please

Huh?

Since she didn't quote anyone, I assume she's expressing disagreement in my original post. lol
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Best post I've seen in awhile. High five!
  • mbcaldwell123
    mbcaldwell123 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    KUDOS!!!!!!!!!!!! and well said
  • Tbaby1514
    Options
    Best post of the day. People need to hear the facts and get a little tough love sometimes. Bravo, OP.

I'm glad you saw it as tough love, and not me beating up on people! I was afraid it was going to get misinterpreted.