Are you about to ask the forums why you aren't losing weight?! Read This First!

Options

Replies

• toolzz
    toolzz Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    it's all true
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    The root reason is not CICO. Yes, that's the physical reason that they gained weight, but there can be so much emotion behind eating, everything up to and including clinical depression. Many many times a person needs to address both the physical aspects of becoming healthier along with the mental/emotional aspects. To the poster who said she was learning how NOT to eat emotionally, that's as much of an important step as learning to eat healthier options.

There can be a lot behind why people over eat but most cases it's because we like the taste and don't want to stop...that's why I was fat.

I love food...hated exercise.

I still love food but love my exercise and learned about "portion control" and that I don't have to stop eating the food I love just less of it...

I suspect most people here are quite similar to me...just like food.

• JoeyKoontz
    Options
    OP speaks the TRUTH!
  • flightybird
    flightybird Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    As someone who finds themselves now needing to lose around 130 pounds because they tricked themselves into blaming everything and everyone but herself, I have to say thank you for this post. It's honestly probably the most true thing I've ever seen posted.

I suffered from undiagnosed depression for years. Worked in foodservice. Food was an easy direction for me to turn to without having to admit to anyone - including myself - that I had a problem. When I finally, FINALLY came to and realized what I had done to myself, I was 15 pounds away from 300 and couldn't walk to the front door of a grocery store from my car without getting winded.

Now that I've finally taken responsibility for what I (and no one and nothing else) has done to myself, I log everything. Even the bad stuff, from the mini-sized pack of Whoppers from the office candy jar to a whoppin' piece of cake with cream cheese frosting - and even the few ounces of sweet tea my server accidentally gave me at dinner instead of unsweet. EVERYTHING.

The TRUE starting point (and the real way you know you're serious about losing weight) is when you realize that it's time to take responsibility for where you are.

Brilliant post!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    How did that get flagged as SPAM?
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Tbaby1514 wrote: »
    Best post of the day. People need to hear the facts and get a little tough love sometimes. Bravo, OP.

I'm glad you saw it as tough love, and not me beating up on people! I was afraid it was going to get misinterpreted.

It looks like this thread has received at least one flag, which is astonishing.

One thing that you didn't address (perhaps because it is only tangential) is that many of the people who post the "why am I not losing weight?" threads are 1. Underage and should be on SparkTeen. 2. Underweight. I've seen a LOT of threads started by 15-17 year old girls lately and people who are pounds away from being underweight.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    hmmm... never thought to try the yoga pants excuse angle.... I'm diggin it
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    These are the most common reasons I hear people say they gained weight:

A ) I blame yoga pants, leggings etc, I wear them all of the time so I didn't notice how much I gained.
    Now here's the truth:

A ) Unless you were EATING your yoga pants/leggings (not sure the calories in those) they did not MAKE you gain weight. I get that fabric is stretchy, But a 200 lb person is not going to wear the same size as 160 lb person. If you gained 5 lbs, maaaybe even 10, I can let it slide, but when you've gained 30+ pounds, you noticed they were too tight, you were in denial.

C ) You did not eat 1200 calories a day. Period. End of Story. Did you know that in order to gain weight on a 1200 calorie diet a 25 year old woman would have to be 3'5" and weigh 50 pounds?! She'd also have to be bed ridden as well.

Great! The eating your yoga pants has to be one of the funniest things I've read in a long time on this board! Nicely done...and all so true.

• Telton66
    Options
    bla bla bla bla.Its funny that you actually wasted your time creating this condescending thread.Why don`t you just mind your own business and worry about yourself
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    ^^^ and there it is
  • Tbaby1514
    Tbaby1514 Posts: 216 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Atkins800 wrote: »
    bla bla bla bla.Its funny that you actually wasted your time creating this condescending thread.Why don`t you just mind your own business and worry about yourself

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN! WE HAVE FOUND THE SNOWFLAKE! Congratulations Atkins, you are the first person to get pissed off enough to say something! It's not condescending, it's the truth, being posted by a fellow fatty who was once in those shoes. I see in the 5 seconds that your post was up it was flagged more than my post which has been viewed by almost 2,000 people in the last 6 hours it's been up. I think we know who the general population agrees with, stop deflecting.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options

200.gif

:cry:
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options

200.gif

Lamooo :D
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN! WE HAVE FOUND THE SNOWFLAKE! Congratulations Atkins, you are the first person to get pissed off enough to say something! It's not condescending, it's the truth, being posted by a fellow fatty who was once in those shoes. I see in the 5 seconds that your post was up it was flagged more than my post which has been viewed by almost 2,000 people in the last 6 hours it's been up. I think we know who the general population agrees with, stop deflecting.

How can someone with such a cute profile pic (Atkins)----be such a _______________well, you know what. Maybe she needs friends. :) As you can see by the kudos, the rest of us agree with the OP. Good going OP. ;)
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

200.gif

:D
  • 111grace
    111grace Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I was in denial, buying L, XL, too XXL, " I am not too fat" gross self deception! Portion sizes just got bigger, 2 slices pizza became one large pizza! stress craves carbs! Plain stupidity, and lack of self love/respect! and excuses! BMI 33.6 I am in the obese range class1, just calculated it! and WRONG focus! GOD please help me get healthy and reach my healthy weight. 28-10-2014, 10:20pm.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Tanie98 wrote: »
    Oh please

Huh?

Since she didn't quote anyone, I assume she's expressing disagreement in my original post. lol

Careful or she will slush your tires. Her and her sock friend, Chibakalu098

PS OP, good post.