I went from morbidly obese to 6 pack abs! Ask me Anything

Options

Replies

• WillUAre
    WillUAre Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You are a GREAT person.

I read through all 21 pages. I will have to come back to re-read & see your videos. You answered everyone's questions throughly.

Btw, hunky hunka to your 2014 pictures. Great job.
  • northlandmum
    northlandmum Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic, well done!
  • wrkowt70
    wrkowt70 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    I've always wanted to do an AMA so I thought I'd set one up here. The basics about my story are that I went from 315lbs to 195 and have been making small gains in muscles/losses to fat ever since. Ask me anything, anything at all!
    fat+skinny+fit.jpg

Add me as a friend on here too!

Should I sell my stock shares in ford motor company?
  • marlovs78
    marlovs78 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Dear Vismal:

Was our lack of an active Atlantic hurricane season due to excessive Saharan dry air in the tropics, a weak subpolar oscillation, or persistent wind shear from a developing El Niño?
  • justdoit1106
    justdoit1106 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Bump for later :smile:
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Should I sell my stock shares in ford motor company?
    No, Ford has been improving greatly over the last decade IMO
    marlovs78 wrote: »
    Dear Vismal:

Was our lack of an active Atlantic hurricane season due to excessive Saharan dry air in the tropics, a weak subpolar oscillation, or persistent wind shear from a developing El Niño?
    None of that, it's a government controlled weather machine....duh....
  • jzsnow
    jzsnow Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Vismal, I've watched a lot of your videos and read through this. What I'm wondering is how many sugar grams do you eat in a day? Do you watch that? Does it really matter if your macros are ok? I'm asking because I love coke. Full sugar, bad for your insides, coke! In the past, I've given it up for a few weeks, then go so crazy I drink a 12 pack in 2 days! I'd like to include just one a day now.
  • gamerguy123
    gamerguy123 Posts: 48 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Seriously awesome work there!

What was your total calorie intake when you started losing? Did you cut your calotes further when thr weight loss
    slowed down?
    How much time did the last 30lbs took to lose to gett to the 2nd pic?
    Do you have weeks/days where you fall off track and put on weight? If not, what part of your routine would you hold respponsible for such a great run?
    When I first started I didn't track intake. I simply did away with the 4 sodas I drank a day and I stopped eating out.. When I started tracking calories I was going way too low but having enough cheat days that it rounded out to probably a 1000 calorie a day deficit. Understand that my TDEE was probably < 4000 because I was so large.
    To lose the last 30 lbs before picture 2 probably took 4 months. I couldn't tell you exactly.
    I never fall off track. I actually cannot remember the last time I binged, at least the last time I had a binge I didn't plan on (I still go crazy on holidays and my birthday). The key to that kind of discipline is never depriving yourself of foods you enjoy. I don't need cheat days anymore because I eat what I like, within reason, on a daily basis. Look at my log, you'll see bacon and ice cream nearly every day. Most of my diet comes from minimally processed whole foods, but I leave room for the things I love.

ok one more question. You look roughly at 10 % bf in the Aug 2012 pic which puts your LBM at a strong 175.5 lbs. But you look pretty skinny there so what gives? Just curious :)
    I am a far cry from 10% body fat in the 2012 picture. I would estimate closer to 14-15%. I doubt I'm even 10% in the most recent picture. Probably 11-12. People see abs and automatically think 10%. When I post new progress pictures (hopefully soonish) I should be around 10% body fat. Also I have a very big lower body. My legs are probably a year's worth of training ahead of my upper body. I have 17.5 inch calves. It will take me forever to have biceps bigger then my calves. Because you can't really see my legs in any of my pictures you don't get an appreciation for how much of my lean mass is carried there.

I've got to get some sleep now. I'll get the rest of the questions when I wake up!

I am 16.4% BF and I don't look anything like your Aug 2012 picture, my goal is to look like that in the end. I workout 6 days a week (alternate muscle groups, lift heavy, HIIT 3 times per week), weekdays eat 1500-1600 cals/day, weekends I eat too much. M, 6'1, 170. I am working to cut down on weekends to eat 1800-2000/day. I know overeating on weekends is my problem, but I still have been loosing weight despite it. Like I said your Aug picture is exactly what I am going for. I am trying to figure out a way to determine what BF % will get me to look like that, or how much more weight I have to loose.

As a side note, being a 6'1, 170 lb guy trying to loose fat, I get that "too skinny" crap all the time. Thanks for posting that. #4 couldn't fit my situation better.
  • vismal
    Options
    jzsnow wrote: »
    Vismal, I've watched a lot of your videos and read through this. What I'm wondering is how many sugar grams do you eat in a day? Do you watch that? Does it really matter if your macros are ok? I'm asking because I love coke. Full sugar, bad for your insides, coke! In the past, I've given it up for a few weeks, then go so crazy I drink a 12 pack in 2 days! I'd like to include just one a day now.
    I do not pay attention to sugar. That being said, coke is an absolutely worthless food in my opinion. If you love it, it's fine to have in moderation, but to me, a liquid that provides zero nutritional value, zero satiation, and takes up 140 calories per can just doesn't make the cut. I'd rather use those calories and eat something that might fill me up. Even most traditional "junk foods" at least offer some nutritional value or satiation, even if its not much. Again, if you love it, having it in moderation is okay, but one a day seems like a big waste of calories per week. I could think of so many more tasty things to do with those 980 calories.

I am 16.4% BF and I don't look anything like your Aug 2012 picture, my goal is to look like that in the end. I workout 6 days a week (alternate muscle groups, lift heavy, HIIT 3 times per week), weekdays eat 1500-1600 cals/day, weekends I eat too much. M, 6'1, 170. I am working to cut down on weekends to eat 1800-2000/day. I know overeating on weekends is my problem, but I still have been loosing weight despite it. Like I said your Aug picture is exactly what I am going for. I am trying to figure out a way to determine what BF % will get me to look like that, or how much more weight I have to loose.

As a side note, being a 6'1, 170 lb guy trying to loose fat, I get that "too skinny" crap all the time. Thanks for posting that. #4 couldn't fit my situation better.
    First, I am going to assume your body fat percentage was obtained from some kind of body fat scale device. If so, the number is very very very prone to error. I'd say + or - at least 4%. You are the same height as I am and weigh 25 lbs less then me in my picture. You will not end up looking like I do by losing more weight. At 6'1 170 you are going to need to gain some mass before you look good lean. Also 1500 calories are ridiculously low. Many women could lose weight on those levels of calories. I would not continue to eat that little. There is no reason you shouldn't lose weight at 1800 or more calories a day. If you find that those calories don't cause weight loss, the likelihood is that you are miscounting and eating more then you think. I would focus on getting just lean enough to be comfortable doing a lean bulk. You are going to need to do a fairly long bulk followed by another cut to really look decent at lean levels of body fat. It's a long journey but if you stay consistent you can absolutely achieve it.
  • gamerguy123
    gamerguy123 Posts: 48 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    jzsnow wrote: »
    I do not pay attention to sugar. That being said, coke is an absolutely worthless food in my opinion. If you love it, it's fine to have in moderation, but to me, a liquid that provides zero nutritional value, zero satiation, and takes up 140 calories per can just doesn't make the cut. I'd rather use those calories and eat something that might fill me up. Even most traditional "junk foods" at least offer some nutritional value or satiation, even if its not much. Again, if you love it, having it in moderation is okay, but one a day seems like a big waste of calories per week. I could think of so many more tasty things to do with those 980 calories.

First, I am going to assume your body fat percentage was obtained from some kind of body fat scale device. If so, the number is very very very prone to error. I'd say + or - at least 4%. You are the same height as I am and weigh 25 lbs less then me in my picture. You will not end up looking like I do by losing more weight. At 6'1 170 you are going to need to gain some mass before you look good lean. Also 1500 calories are ridiculously low. Many women could lose weight on those levels of calories. I would not continue to eat that little. There is no reason you shouldn't lose weight at 1800 or more calories a day. If you find that those calories don't cause weight loss, the likelihood is that you are miscounting and eating more then you think. I would focus on getting just lean enough to be comfortable doing a lean bulk. You are going to need to do a fairly long bulk followed by another cut to really look decent at lean levels of body fat. It's a long journey but if you stay consistent you can absolutely achieve it.

Firstly, thank you for the advice. I got my BF measured at my gym, they used a device that you hold in your hands. I have been thinking about upping my calories, but as I said in my post on weekends I tend to overeat so that's why I keep it low. Also, 1500 is what MFP said to loose 1.5/week. I am at a 34-36 waist now, my lowest point I was 150 with a 32 waist. I wanted to get back to that point then maybe do a bulk. My first goal is to get to that waist size again. That is do able for me because I was at that point before...the bulking part will be harder for me.

That being said, I might change my goals to 1 lbs per week. Then I just have to learn control myself on weekends. I think that will bring me around 1700-1800.

I have bought a food scale and now I have started measuring, so I hope that helps my accuracy.

Does this goal seem in line with what you are saying--"getting lean enough to be comfortable to do a lean bulk"?
  • BlackStarlight
    BlackStarlight Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Wow what an amazing transformation!
    Thanks for the advice and tips!! xx
  • ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Okay, I have a question for you: When you were progressing on your journey, was it hard to VISUALIZE what your body would look like FIT? Meaning, did you ever wonder if you would still look like yourself, or ever feel AFRAID that u would look weird or different fit? Strange question, I know, but I was raised to think that lean muscular women are "hideous" (I am a woman), and I find that it is a challenge for me as I get stronger and fitter...the fear that fit people all "look the same", or that being fit will make me less attractive or "less interesting". I know it is irrational, but I wonder if any one, especially a man, has felt the same way?
  • nuvimi
    nuvimi Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    It's absolutely amazing what you've done; you're a real inspiration!

Can you explain a bit more about your supplements and why you've chosen to go with what you've gone with. In particular, are you taking the vitamin D and fish oil for purely health reasons, or is there a weight loss or muscle building reason that you take them? Also, do you take the creatine as a pill or a powder, and is there a particular reason for doing so or is it just preference/convenience? Lastly, do you take these supplements the same regardless of whether you are bulking or cutting (particularly the creatine) or do you alter them depending on what you're trying to do?
  • vismal
    Options

Firstly, thank you for the advice. I got my BF measured at my gym, they used a device that you hold in your hands. I have been thinking about upping my calories, but as I said in my post on weekends I tend to overeat so that's why I keep it low. Also, 1500 is what MFP said to loose 1.5/week. I am at a 34-36 waist now, my lowest point I was 150 with a 32 waist. I wanted to get back to that point then maybe do a bulk. My first goal is to get to that waist size again. That is do able for me because I was at that point before...the bulking part will be harder for me.

That being said, I might change my goals to 1 lbs per week. Then I just have to learn control myself on weekends. I think that will bring me around 1700-1800.

I have bought a food scale and now I have started measuring, so I hope that helps my accuracy.

Does this goal seem in line with what you are saying--"getting lean enough to be comfortable to do a lean bulk"?
    I would but almost no faith in those devices for measuring body fat %. Regardless, body fat percentage is just a number, it doesn't change the way you look in the mirror which is really what people care about. Personally I think 6'1 150 would be absolute skin and bones. I would not get that lean. Again, for reference, I am the same height as you are and in all my progress pictures, I am never less then 195 lbs. I realize people have different structures and you can't outright compare two people based on height and weight alone, but that is a 45-50 lb difference, and I am relatively lean in all the pictures. Sometimes it's easier to just get to a reasonable body fat percentage, then do a bulk even though you aren't 6 pack lean, just to build up a muscular base. It will prevent you from looking too skinny when you get lean. Its a matter of opinion but I feel that 6'1, 150 lbs would just look far to skinny. I'd much rather build a muscular base even if it means carrying some extra fat.

• vismal
    Options
    Okay, I have a question for you: When you were progressing on your journey, was it hard to VISUALIZE what your body would look like FIT? Meaning, did you ever wonder if you would still look like yourself, or ever feel AFRAID that u would look weird or different fit? Strange question, I know, but I was raised to think that lean muscular women are "hideous" (I am a woman), and I find that it is a challenge for me as I get stronger and fitter...the fear that fit people all "look the same", or that being fit will make me less attractive or "less interesting". I know it is irrational, but I wonder if any one, especially a man, has felt the same way?
    I had no idea what I would look like lean, but I never thought that it would make me look less aesthetic. As a man, I'll let you know that most men do not find lean, muscular, women hideous. Far from it really. I also feel strong is rapidly becoming the new sexy. I may be bias but I don't think the "model skinny" look is superior to the "fit" look. I would doubt that losing weight would make most women less desirable. I'm sure there are plenty of guys who do not like muscular looking women but again, I think they are quickly becoming the minority. Also, health needs to be considered. Aesthetics are not everything and to me, my overall health is FAR more important and the facts are that fat isn't healthy.
  • vismal
    Options
    nuvimi wrote: »

Can you explain a bit more about your supplements and why you've chosen to go with what you've gone with. In particular, are you taking the vitamin D and fish oil for purely health reasons, or is there a weight loss or muscle building reason that you take them? Also, do you take the creatine as a pill or a powder, and is there a particular reason for doing so or is it just preference/convenience? Lastly, do you take these supplements the same regardless of whether you are bulking or cutting (particularly the creatine) or do you alter them depending on what you're trying to do?
    Fish oil is mostly for general health. Plenty of data supports this. Vitamin D has some anabolic properties and can aid in muscle building if you are deficient in it. Creatine I take year round. I take monohydrate powder because it's cheap. Pills are fine too. There is no reason to not take creatine during a cut. Any weight gain associated with creatine is water weight, therefore has nothing to do with fat loss. There is no reason to stop taking it on a cut unless you need to cut water to make weight for some kind of a competition (bodybulder or powerlifting).

• onelentilatatime
    onelentilatatime Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Did you experience a rebound - your body reacting to weight loss by demanding you overeat? Why do you think so many dieters relapse? And why didn't you?
  • mgorham13
    mgorham13 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I stumbled on this post today during a really anxious time waiting for lab results and an hour before going for an ultrasound for a possible hernia. I was full of self pity, I read through as many pages as I could. I want to thank you and congratulate you. You completely turned around my day with your inspiration and the patience to still answer questions months after the OP.

If you get time I looked for info on warm-up sets for ICF 5x5 and didn't see anything. I did stronglifts for 8 months should I just warm up for the big 3 the same way as SL? Also at your heaviest what was your caloric intake at the start of your weight loss.
  • AllyceMargaret96
    Options
    Wow. Dedication is such a powerful thing. Congrats. :D
  • nuvimi
    nuvimi Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    nuvimi wrote: »

Fish oil is mostly for general health. Plenty of data supports this. Vitamin D has some anabolic properties and can aid in muscle building if you are deficient in it. Creatine I take year round. I take monohydrate powder because it's cheap. Pills are fine too. There is no reason to not take creatine during a cut. Any weight gain associated with creatine is water weight, therefore has nothing to do with fat loss. There is no reason to stop taking it on a cut unless you need to cut water to make weight for some kind of a competition (bodybulder or powerlifting).

Awesome. Thanks.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!