I went from morbidly obese to 6 pack abs! Ask me Anything

Replies

• CheerCoachAmy
    CheerCoachAmy Posts: 33
    edited October 2014
    vismal wrote: »
    I starting lifting maybe 6 months into my weight loss. Originally it was just diet and running. I wish I would have started lifting from the get go though. That would be what I consider my number 1 mistake. As for the type of lifting, I did it wrong at first by doing a typical "bro split" where you do a body part a day with high reps and low weight. I later switched to 5x5 training which is what I would have started with day 1 if I had to go back and do it again. I currently do a upper/lower 4 day a week split for intermediate lifters.

What do you mean by 5x5 training? I see Ice Cream Training... got it. Why the change in your life? Great job!

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    I starting lifting maybe 6 months into my weight loss. Originally it was just diet and running. I wish I would have started lifting from the get go though. That would be what I consider my number 1 mistake. As for the type of lifting, I did it wrong at first by doing a typical "bro split" where you do a body part a day with high reps and low weight. I later switched to 5x5 training which is what I would have started with day 1 if I had to go back and do it again. I currently do a upper/lower 4 day a week split for intermediate lifters.

What do you mean by 5x5 training? I see Ice Cream Training... got it. Why the change in your life? Great job!
    5x5 simply means lifting 5 sets for 5 reps each of the heavy compound lifts. Ice cream fitness is just one of many 5x5's.

• billymacintosh
    billymacintosh Posts: 71 Member
    Do you have any ideas or suggestions for women who want to start lifting or any introductory workout plan? I would say I say I need to lose around 28Ibs, possibly 35 - currently 171Ibs, 5ft 5. Any advice gratefully received and btw you look incredible, just shows what hard work and dedication can achieve
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    bump
  • gemaquaries
    gemaquaries Posts: 79 Member
    Amazing transformation, you look amazing!!
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    I spent my lunch hour all week reading through your thread, tons of great information and very inspiring. Best thing I've found on MFP and that's saying a lot.
  • wow... you are an inspiration man! way to go!
  • vismal
    Do you have any ideas or suggestions for women who want to start lifting or any introductory workout plan? I would say I say I need to lose around 28Ibs, possibly 35 - currently 171Ibs, 5ft 5. Any advice gratefully received and btw you look incredible, just shows what hard work and dedication can achieve
    In my opinion, females do not need a specialized plan that differs from what a beginner male should run. As such, any proper beginners program should suffice. I prefer the Ice Cream Fitness 5x5, but stronglifts 5x5 and starting strength are also both good choices.
  • Magemisty
    Magemisty Posts: 87 Member
    How did you keep motivated, did you ever go up and down lot in weight. Did you ever have bad months
  • vismal
    Magemisty wrote: »
    How did you keep motivated, did you ever go up and down lot in weight. Did you ever have bad months
    The only time I went up in weight was when it was done intentionally in the form of bulking or gaining lean mass. Motivation was originally external as motivation tends to be. After seeing my initial results, and actually feeling better both mentally and physically, my motivation shifted to internal motivation. While in the beginning I lost weight so I'd look better to others, be precised as healthier in the eyes of my peers, etc, I now strive to achieve my goals based solely on self motivation. Making that shift from external motivation to internal motivation is critical in my opinion. You will only put up with so much when you are doing things to please others. When you start working for yourself, I feel like things are easier.
  • LarDoucheLar
    LarDoucheLar Posts: 171 Member
    Amazing Transformation well done! :)
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Congratulations, that's an amazing transformation. What do you think are the top 5 things that led to your success?
    1. Myfitnesspal of course. It wasn't until I began tracking my intake that my success really started to take off
    2. Understanding that "eating clean" is meaningless and that in order to have true life long success I had to eat foods I enjoyed (ice cream, cookies, etc) on a regular basis but in moderation
    3. Lifting heavy weights
    4. Not listening when people say "you lost enough already" or "you are getting too skinny"
    5. Learning as much about the science behind nutrition and dieting as possible. There is more pseudoscience and myths in this field then any other on earth! So much BS to cut through to find the truth.

Love it! Congratulations and thanks for sharing your story. :)
  • kmtbeaulieu
    kmtbeaulieu Posts: 33 Member
    Amazing transformation! thank you for the post!
  • mrskristinlang
    mrskristinlang Posts: 22 Member
    So inspiring! Way to go!!!
  • cafeduus
    cafeduus Posts: 31 Member
    First you look totally amazing!!!! I know that diet is a huge part of staying fit and healthy, but I was curious what your thoughts were on a Paleo diet. Do you think it is a good idea? or do you think it's another kind of fad diet?
  • mizroxy13
    mizroxy13 Posts: 466 Member
    BEAST. :)

You look fantastic!

Also, I'm sorry if you've answered this already, but how much did you run in the beginning...and do you still run now, or strictly weights? Thank you for your inspiration!!
  • Sabrina161616
    Sabrina161616 Posts: 2 Member
    You look sexy! Congrats on your success.
  • vismal
    cafeduus wrote: »
    First you look totally amazing!!!! I know that diet is a huge part of staying fit and healthy, but I was curious what your thoughts were on a Paleo diet. Do you think it is a good idea? or do you think it's another kind of fad diet?
    It's a complete and total fad diet. It has all the markings of a traditional fad diet. It creates and arbitrary restriction of food, in this case a rather large one. Most people will initially lose weight because the arbitrary food restriction should reduce calories enough to create a deficit. A deficit equals weight loss. The problem is that it restricts foods that many people consume quite regularly. Eventually people grow tired of the restriction, then they either binge, or quit the diet all together. With the restriction gone, the calories come back, and so does the weight. Most all fad diets function somewhat along these lines. It's far easier, and more sustainable to just eat the foods you like in moderation while counting calories to ensure a deficit.
  • vismal
    mizroxy13 wrote: »
    BEAST. :)

You look fantastic!

Also, I'm sorry if you've answered this already, but how much did you run in the beginning...and do you still run now, or strictly weights? Thank you for your inspiration!!
    In the beginning I did the couch to 5k program and never ran much further then that. I no longer run at all mostly because I do not enjoy it.
  • mbcaldwell123
    mbcaldwell123 Posts: 79 Member
    Congratulations, that's an amazing transformation. What do you think are the top 5 things that led to your success?
    1. Myfitnesspal of course. It wasn't until I began tracking my intake that my success really started to take off
    2. Understanding that "eating clean" is meaningless and that in order to have true life long success I had to eat foods I enjoyed (ice cream, cookies, etc) on a regular basis but in moderation
    3. Lifting heavy weights
    4. Not listening when people say "you lost enough already" or "you are getting too skinny"
    5. Learning as much about the science behind nutrition and dieting as possible. There is more pseudoscience and myths in this field then any other on earth! So much BS to cut through to find the truth.

#5!!!!! where did you or how did you finally cut through so much BS???? This is my current struggle.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!