How successful is a no-bread diet?

Options
I am thinking of trying not to eat any bread, white rice or pasta for a month. Has anyone tried this tactic before? How successful were you?

Replies

• MphsThomas
    Options
    GREAT UNTIL YOU START EATING BREAD AGAIN
  • marandaj77
    Options
    I am cutting out white bread and as much sugar as I can to see if this will help. My problem is going to be rice and pasta I love both. I am not a fan of brown rice and wheat pasta. Good luck I hope it gives you the results you are looking for.
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I live similarly to this...the one difference is I do eat some rice products (rice chips, rice crackers and steamed rice about once a month)...I find that my digestion is much better, less gas and less irritation to my stomach and intestine area

check out my food diary for some ideas
  • lfcutie
    lfcutie Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    i agree with the post above its great until you eat bread again.,.,.,if you like bread don't stop eating it maybe eat less and whole grain instead of white .....brown rice is good also....good luck:)
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    We swtiched to whole grain wheat breads, and brown rice. Than we eat it in moderation. :flowerforyou:
  • kc_swiss
    kc_swiss Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks!
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options

For me, cutting back would be easier than going without completely.
  • sexyprincess69
    Options
    I tried it ;but it did not work for me within a few days I was back eating bread. Whole wheat instead of white. It's very hard to keep carbs out of your diet what I have done is limit the amount I eat. No carbs in the week day however on the weekend I have some.
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options

For me, cutting back would be easier than going without completely.
    This! 1 slice instead of two. I like the Arnold Nutty Grain Bread.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Don't cut out bread, just make sure you're eating 100% whole grains! :) That goes for pasta and rice as well!
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options

SO TRUE!!!!
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I am thinking of trying not to eat any bread, white rice or pasta for a month. Has anyone tried this tactic before? How successful were you?

I think no WHITE bread, WHITE rice and WHITE pasta is a fantastic idea. I eat only whole grain bread, brown rice and on the rare occasion whole wheat pasta.
    I cut out all "white stuff" and sugar for 2 years now - I've lost 40lbs in that time and have 15 to go to weigh less than I did before I had my 5 kids.
    It's worth a shot.

Good Luck!
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options

Sounds like a low-carb diet. If that's the case, to make it work you need to cut out starch and sugars as much as possible. If you are just trying to eliminate starch you still need to track your total calories. Full-sugar sodas will sabotage you.
  • cjnorman
    cjnorman Posts: 93
    Options

SO TRUE!!!!

Completely true, but I had to start eating carbs again to stop losing weight. Now the goal is not to gain.
  • Christyp123
    Options

Ditto.
  • shortcake05
    Options
    I'd have to agree that bread is ok in moderation. I've seen some positive changes to my overall digestion and weight when I've drastically reduced my bread intake. And I do try to avoid white anything as much as possible.
  • absolament
    absolament Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Diets are stressful... emotionally and physically. Stick with nutritious food in the right amount. Your body will thank you.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options

Exactly. It is just as great as any other diet. It may help you lose weight, but it will not help you keep it off.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I've been doing fine with it, I have the occasional bread but not had rice or pasta for months. I'm not a fan of brown rice or pasta so would rather go without. I prefer brown bread over white but rarely touch either...my weakness comes when I smell toast! Don't ban yourself as this is likely to lead to cravings but if you plan your meals based around other foods you should be able to largely avoid it.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    It depends on you. I feel best when I don't have a lot of bread and pasta. There are people who believe that we shouldn't be eating the grains we do, regardless of being whole wheat or white breads. Part of me agrees, but the reality is, they are very difficult to avoid. That's something I've learned since I've had to be gluten free - grains are used way too much in the US.

Anyway, even though there is some ok gluten free bread, I'm happy without bread. There are other things out there that you can eat to get that "sensation" (or to get that "carb fix) like beans. And if you still want grains, just not the processed stuff, there are tons of whole grains you can choose from - quinoa, amaranth, teff...barley...

The thing you have to figure out is what is best for you. If you think you can go without those products, then rock on. Like someone else said, if you start eating them again, especially in larger quantities, you'll gain. I learned that lesson, hard.

GL!