WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2014

Options

Replies

• wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Viv - so sorry to hesr the diagnosis. :flowerforyou: I think you knew deep down it was something serious. :love:
    - I think you should get in touch with Macmillan immediately. If nothing else they can talk to you and find you support. My husband found them amazing when his partner had cancer and he still collects money for them and buys their Christmas products. They can also tell you what benefits etc you are entitled to, carers allowance, disabled badge etc.
    - I am thinking of you. Message me if you want to talk. <3
    - Heather in Hampshire UK

Thanks Heather, that's a good idea about Macmillan - and thanks for the offer to message you to talk. <3
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Rori: I didn’t so much mind chopping, but I did everything the same way: in little cubes. :D

Sylvia: I would have done exactly the same thing with the dog. Well, who knows; if no one claims him it looks like you have a sweetie there!

Michele: you’re right about bending your fingers. And you have to make sure your thumb is inside/behind your fingers so it’s not exposed.
    2.jpg
    This isn’t too hard. I was more or less doing it already. The knife techniques took some getting used to, but they weren’t too hard. There are YouTube videos if you’re interested.

Renny: loved your post. <3

Joyce: I’ve read about putting some vinegar in the washing machine to get rid of mildewy smells in the laundry.

Viv: thinking of you. Those nutrition things are available in pudding form etc. Maybe have your pharmacist show them to you? Take care of yourself.

Well, guys, I weighed myself today. Allowing for some water retention because of bad food I’ve probably gained about 10 pounds. Gah. :'( You know, when I started losing weight everybody said they were sure I must notice a difference in my knee and feet (arthritis). I didn’t, really. But now there’s some weight on again I DO notice they’re more painful. And I’m always tired.

Taking doggie guy to the eye doctor for a check. I hope she says all the after-effects of the abscess are gone.

Hope everyone has a good day.
    Cynthia :flowerforyou:

54053224.png
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    It's 4:30 am and I'm in the recliner with our little visitor on my lap sound asleep. He's been whimpering most of the night. Hubby got up at 4:00 and let him outside. He ran circles around the yard and did some business, then came back in when called. We suspect he's used to sleeping on somebody's bed, not locked in a laundry room all alone.

When hubby got home last night he was surprised when he opened the door to find a strange dog looking at him. He pretended to grumble about it for a while, but I know he would have done the same thing. He's such a softy when it comes to dogs. I said well, we have to call him something. We can't just keep calling him dog, so we both at the same time said "SPOT". He seems to come to it, too.

I'm going to take him with me to take the kids to school, then hit my vet's office and another vet close to where I found him to see if anybody recognizes him. Somebody has to be missing this dog. He's such a sweetie.

I think I'll try to take a nap, now that he's asleep.

Later.

Sylvia
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,741 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    sylvia what an adorable puppy.. yes we would have done the same thing.. I sure hope you find the owner , if not guess what you have SPOT <3
    It is so nice to be un tethered from the office and the computer wifi working again..
    ATT was bought out by Frontier and I dont know if they upgraded ,or because we got rid of the land line, but it is all working like a charm. 31 degree's outside and am nice and toasty here in the family room, a load of laundry in the wash and have to be to work at 10
    I work tomorrow 7:30 until noon, im sure Tony the electrician will still be here so I might just go after work and bring my DFIL his cookies aand get his laundry, I didnt go down to see him yesterday as I was really tired after doing the lawn..
    did get over 10,000 steps yesterday which is amazing because I havent been doing well with exercising
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Sylvia........It will be interesting to find out what his "mix" is........the head, except for the spots on the nose looks very basenji-like to me; does he have the forehead wrinkles? Looks fairly young too, but hard to tell from a pic.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,272 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Good morning everyone!
    Today is set to be the warmest Halloween ever! That means we MAY get some callers, we had none in the rain last year. We have a couple of bags of mini Mars bars in the cupboard. If kids don't come DH will have to eat them all! :laugh: I might treat myself to one, very well chilled in the fridge.

We will get our potted dahlia put away for the winter today and I still have to earth up and secure the purple sprouting broccoli. My new spinach was all dug up and strewn about yesterday and I was cursing the neighbour's cat, but I think it was a bird of some kind. I stuck the seedlings back in so might have to water today. It's going to get cold next week.

My back is easing, but still not back to normal. I managed over 600 cals exercise today as I got up at 6.30 and did 21 minutes strength training early on before our normal session. :bigsmile: We have had fish three days running so tonight I am making a rich bolognese sauce. I will have mine with cauliflower rice and DH with tagliatelli.

Tomorrow we will have an early start to get our exercises done before we drive to North London. DH is going to the football and I am catching the train up to my DSIL'S. All a bit of a rush, but I know there will be delicious food and wine on offer so I want to burn as many calories as possible. I have been extra good this week with a 550 deficit on my TDEE each day, and I was pleased to see 1 lb loss. I have managed it by eating a smaller lunch and a tiny afternoon snack. "Hunger is not an emergency" ! ! ! ! :laugh: At least the day time deprivation allows me to eat more in the evening. :bigsmile:

Love to all. DH has a tricky situation tomorrow as he goes to the football with the ex of his sister who has been taking money from his/her daughter which he never pays back. :noway: The last time he asked for the money the day before a family holiday that he was meant to be paying for. She is a sweet girl and couldn't bear to see everyone disappointed so she gave him the money she was saving to buy an appartment! Previously she had "lent" money to her brother that her father was meant to be giving him. :sad: My poor DH , who is a very principled man, doesn't really know how he is going to deal with the situation. His sister doesn't want him to confront her ex, but DH isn't like that. He says he can't just sit there listening to a load of lies. They have been going to the pub and football together for 30 years. :sad:

Families, eh? ! ! ! ! ! !

Heather in warm and sunny Hampshire UK

I appear to have lost my pasted ticker. Will have to recopy it. :cry:

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,953 Member
    Options
    1635488t51ywd3pqc.gif

I'll be wearing my pumpkin costume when I teach the line dance class this mornings.5ta5odz9pwyg.jpg

Be watching for the link to the new thread for November....I'll post it around 7 PM Pacific time
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,272 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Is my ticker back?

That's a NO then. :sad:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Jane: Acid reflux is nasty but controllable. I’ve been living with it for years. There is good medicine out there that helps, and you also need to pay attention to the things that set you off so you can avoid them. :flowerforyou:

Lesley in Tasmania: I suspect that most of the calorie scales work for those who stick with them. I’ve been very happy with my results using MFP. :flowerforyou:

Meg: I think about you often. Childbirth is a challenging experience. DH was my coach for both births. We took classes so we’d know what to expect the first time. With your professional background as a nurse, you will know far more than we did. I hope this turns out well for your relationship with your daughter. The doctors and nurses are there for the medical side of things; you’re there to help DD manage her pain & keep her confidence up. You’ll have more than enough skill. If you haven’t attended a birth in your career, or it has been a long while, you might want to ask someone with that expertise or watch one of the videos they show in the prenatal classes. :flowerforyou:

Judith from Macon GA: Welcome to a great group. I LOVE your ticker! :flowerforyou:

Sue in SD: What a wonderful experience you’ve given to a horse crazy little girl! I’ll bet it was her best birthday gift, ever. :flowerforyou:

Rori: DH did not divorce his family, but we lived 400 miles away and limited our contact. His parents were toxic. MIL hated me and his dad seemed to hate him. We are now friends with DH’s sister, and appreciate the relationship. She’s 9 years older than him but at this point in life 9 years is not a significant issue. On a different topic, I’ve been into the Halloween Candy. I seem to be a candy-a-holic. :flowerforyou:

Sylvia: Of course you took care of the little dog. Keep us in the loop. You may find his family but I suspect you have a new dog. :flowerforyou:

Renny: The massage after work sounds divine. :flowerforyou:

Viv: I’m in awe of your response to your DH’s medical diagnosis. He is so lucky to have you in his corner! :flowerforyou:

Cynthia: I hope you’re able to get the weight gain turned around and some relief for your knee& feet. I have knee issues, too, & know how painful they can be. Losing excess pounds and taking yoga classes has been very helpful for me. :flowerforyou:

Heather: I love your ability to coin motivational phrases. “Hunger is not an emergency” is great. I think your DH will do a good job of dealing with his old friend at the soccer/football event. I’m sorry that it has fallen to him to deal with. Who knows whether the selfish man will change his ways. That will be his responsibility. I am sorry that your DH has been put into a position that is so uncomfortable. As you know, I type my responses in a word document. I’ve saved my ticker link on the bottom of my response message along with my monthly goals. :flowerforyou:

Barbie: You are so cute in your pumpkin outfit! :flowerforyou:

Yesterday's riding lesson involved trotting without stirrups. I did make progress. I love this teacher!

Halloween today! My cousin, her daughter and gradnd daughter are coming! I need a bi more candy and also to talk to neighbors to see if the little girls can trick or treat at their homes. I’ll provide candy there as needed. DH is in charge of dinner. We may bake & decorate cookies as an alternative to trick or treating if it is pouring down rain.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

October Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!

30881843.png
  • mollywhippet
    Options
    YannieJannie, no wrinkles, but the shape of the face is about right. I visited three vets this morning to see if they recognized him, but none did. One vet thought he was blue heeler and some kind of terrier, like rat or bull. He's about 30 pounds.

I visited the humane society and the city animal shelter to see if they knew him. Neither did, but the city shelter has a report of a lost blue heeler and husky mix. I don't see any husky in this dog, but I called just in case. I'm waiting for a call back on that. My son has posted it to several local facebook type things that I didn't know existed. Heck, I was all puffed up because I managed to list him on Craigs List. My son rolled his eyes and said that nobody uses craigslist anymore.

Last night as I was trying to sleep I was thinking that this dog might do wonders for my friend who has pancreatic cancer. He's a very sweet gentle dog who loves to cuddle. If I can't find his real home I might look into that. He said the other day that he misses having a dog.

Well, I just finished downloading the Avast antivirus that was suggested, so I'm going to run it now and see what happens. I hope it doesn't crash my antiquated system.

Bye for now.

Sylvia
  • Kataniki
    Kataniki Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Reading through quickly today so I can walk out for 30 minutes. What is NSV? I am guessing N-something Something Victory.

One quick thing about drama queen/king kids: my oldest son is a bit of a drama king - he has mellowed quite a bit from 19 (he is now 25). He embellishes stories too - calls it "emotional truth" ;) The main difference is he is aware of when he is getting into the drama mode and stops himself, he also broke up with the high drama girlfriend last fall - that was huge. He goes to counseling and is into meditation now - of course your daughter isn't likely to accept any advice at this point. Refusing to get dragged in worked well for me, "yes, dear, I hear you are upset that BF threw your clothes out the window. What are your next steps to deal with this?" "mmhmm, yes, mmhm, very upset, I hear you, mmmhm" The less juice she gets from you, the less she will act out. Of course, easier said than done...

Ready for Halloween - it is easy as my children are grown and no grandkids (yet!) I won't be home until late tonight as I am going out to dinner right from work with friends, so I left a basket with little packets of gummy bears on the front porch. We get very few kids - long driveways and woods do not attract outsiders and few children live in the neighborhood. I put out a basket last year and most of it was still there when I got home. I allowed myself one packet last night - I love gummy bears but need to limit the sugar - each packet of 3 bears has 9 g sugar - too much when I need to limit to 25g per day.

I played soccer last night for 90 min - we had no subs so I played the entire game - MFP says that is worth 1361 calories, I will take that though it feels high. Last game of the season though - I plan to go to line dancing at the gym next Thursday - I need to fill in something active as I don't want to play indoor - too rough and not as much fun as outdoor. There is an outdoor winter league but I think it will be a diehard crowd that plays at a higher level than I do. It doesn't get that cold here - though last night was pretty nippy when we weren't running around. I wasn't thinking and didn't put on a long sleeve shirt under my uniform like everyone else...

Happy Halloween~ >:)
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Kataniki: I would blow up (and have) if someone said "what are your next steps?" too soon. :D I just want to be HEARD first. When the red fog subsides it would be fine. Just a thought. Your mileage may vary. ;)
    Michele: I'm going to try your frozen banana with cocoa. Do you have any ideas for warm things to use for the evening sweet thing? It's getting colder outside...
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    Happy Halloween from cold Nebraska. I am planning on going out with several of the DGC this evening, but sounds like it will be cold and windy. So may not be out long. Hope everyone is doing well. I was off work yesterday and got alot done at home, but eating was way over. Got to get back on track and stay there. It seems I am outside myself watching myself eat all this junk. Doing alot of praying.

Meg--Take care of yourself and stay warm. Pray all goes well next week and the new grandchild is healthly.

Jane--Those little ones have a way of getting grandpa to do things. I know DH is always doing things with the DGC and enjoys it.

Barbie--Glad Jake is home and doing well.

Viv--Hugs and prayers for you and DH. You may have to get tough, but you will do what needs to be done. Be sure and take care of you also.

Cynthia--Thanks for sharing.

Beth--I know how you feel, I start out good and then towards evening its like I can't get to the food fast enough. I also know what I need to do and just need to do it.

Mary--Sorry to hear about DDL's family. Some people can be so mean.

Robin--great news. take it slow and breath. Easier said then done I know. But you and doing great.

Heather Mac--prayers and hugs to you and your mom and the days ahead. Remember to take care of yourself.

Heather--Congrates on your NSV.

Kim--Sounds like you did well at this person's house. It would be sad if you gave up the group because of one person. But you have to do what is best for you.

Allison--congrates on your new freedom!!

Donna--vent away and breath. We are here for you.

Sue--getting a Thank you note is so speical. I taught my boys to do that when they were young. DS is real good about his girls doing that now.

Sylvia--I would of done the same thing. Good Luck. Sounds like maybe this is met for your friend. Keep us posted.

Michele--I love Christmas music and my favorite is "What child is this" I can hardly waite till Dec 1st so can start the Christmas music.

Joyce--prayers said,

Well have a safe and warm night. I can not believe tomorrow is the first of November already. This year has flown by. Monday Dh and I will be married 30 years. Tomorrow we are going to his sister's in Kansas for their big Halloween party. They do more them most people do for Christmas. DSIL was born on Hallween. Anyway DH"S ex is bringing our two DGDs from Iowa. So looking forward to time with the girls, just not the ex. His family treats her like she is still family. Main reason we don't go down very often.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy halloween.Going to spend it with Violet.Gramps is bummed he has to work today.He hasn`t missed a Halloween with her til this year.
    hugs
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Happy Halloween, haven't been here in awhile but have been trying to keep up with you all.
    thoughts and prayers going out to so many of you, please take care

I don't know how to post pictures here but this am we woke up to about 5 inches of snow yes I said
    snow so it will be wet trick or treat nite here

juanita in sudbury
  • bonniecairns
    Options
    I'm fairly new to fitness pal. I am 51 years old and need to lose at least 30 pounds. 40 would be nice. I started back into an exercise routine 6 1/2 weeks ago and have managed to lose 8 pounds so far. My goal is to be thin by next spring/summer. I live in Hamilton, Ontario. Happy Halloween.

Bonnie C.
  • mollywhippet
    Options
    Here is today's joke of the day:

:)

There once was an old man who was about to die. He told his wife to put a bag of money in the attic "When I die I'll get it on my way up." chuckled the old man. Well when the old man died the wife went up to the attic and found that the bag of money was still there. "I knew I should have put that money in the cellar!" said the old woman.

:p
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Cold today! I'm sure it may not be as cold as other places but I am cold. Was thinking to much last night about our family room and didn't sleep well. Sylvia, I still think you need to keep that precious dog. Heather, that is the main reason we kind of said good y to Charlie's sister. She or her children kept on asking for money or expecting us to pick up the tab for her. She refused to even visit her Mom even though she knew she was dying. She said she would be there for Vi's birthday and she forgot even though I called R the previous night. She was at the funeral home in awful rages, looked likes vagabond who had just hopped off a train. I had her look over her Moms clothes and she just grabbed them all without tring on anything. Didn't say thanks or anything. She acted like she deserved them even thought she hadn't visited Vi in the nursing home for over a year. She was a leach, a parasite. I have never felt like this before. It is foreign to me, my religion just doesn't allow it. My emotions were so raw at the time of Vi's death I just couldn't take it. I know someday I should call her and try to make amends but honestly I don't care anymore. Barbie, I love your pumpkin outfit.

We'll need to get dressed and go to Best Buy and see if my laptop can be revived, Joyce, Indiana
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 332 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Hello Lovely Ladies!

I feel like I've been gone for weeks! We really enjoyed Savannah! If you travel with small pets and want a truly terrific place to stay, The Old Harbor Inn in Savannah is wonderful! Even the pets get a goodie bag upon arrival. Our suite had a loft and I found out that Brian can take those stairs in seconds. Very fast for 7 pounds of fluff. He was wonderful in the hotels on the way there and back as well. Not phased at all by automatic doors and elevators. I worried that he would think it was a one-way trip since we haven't had him long, but he was fine. The old pug girl slept most of the week. She can't do much anymore, but as long as she enjoys her food and water we will keep her going. Hubby does most of her care, he is a terrific man. He has to carry her everywhere since she can't walk far.

I only had a one pound gain, we went up and down a lot of stairs around River Street. I enjoyed a lot of good food and wine but kept the portions reasonable. Now I am back at working out and lighter food.

Viv, hugs and prayers for you and DH.
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 332 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I keep losing part of my post.

No time to try again.

Have a Happy Halloween everyone!

Cindy in OK