eating before bed

Options

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    IO
    Bombshell are you saying reading is a problem for you and you had prefer videos to grasp the factual concept that a calorie is not always a calorie as in all calories are not equal?

Once again, a calorie is a calorie...it's a unit of measurement.

OK we are getting somewhere now. That is true in a lab.

LiveLaughLoveEat1 where you logic is failing you on this site we are talking about humans which are all different in the way the body can use calories from different foods.

You would say there are the same number of BTU's in all 87 octane gasoline in your town. I will accept that as a fact.

You also claim that gallon of gas will make all cars travel the same number of miles before its energy is consumed.

LiveLaughLoveEat1 this is where you logic fails you. Some cars may only travel 10 miles and others may travel 40 mile on a gallon of a gas. Yet you state a gallon of gas is a gallon of gas so all cars will run the same distance.

Just read some of the links and the fact that inside the human body different calories can be very unequal in powering the body and brain cells.

Other readers are getting the picture and understand you are wrong when you say a calorie of food is functional equal to every other calorie of food that goes into your body.

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    So you're arguing against CICO by claiming that different people have a different CO?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    you love to mock people who seem pretty damn successful for being clueless?

I am not mocking anyone. All am saying you are dead wrong that all calories put into the human body are equal in performance based on research.

What are to talking about when you say "people who seem pretty damn successful"?

Weight loss in humans is not just a simple macro. The macros are like the software models that predict where a hurricane is going to make landfall, at what time and at what wind speed.

The macros give expected ranges but do not predict down to the oz of weight loss six days or six months down the road. They are very helpful just as are the hurricane path predictions.

Now if a calorie was a calorie then macros would be more accurate in making weight loss predictions but a calorie is not a calorie always in placed in a complex human body.

Does this help you as it does other readers?

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I am not mocking anyone. All am saying you are dead wrong that all calories put into the human body are equal in performance based on research.

What are to talking about when you say "people who seem pretty damn successful"?

Weight loss in humans is not just a simple macro. The macros are like the software models that predict where a hurricane is going to make landfall, at what time and at what wind speed.

The macros give expected ranges but do not predict down to the oz of weight loss six days or six months down the road. They are very helpful just as are the hurricane path predictions.

Now if a calorie was a calorie then macros would be more accurate in making weight loss predictions but a calorie is not a calorie always in placed in a complex human body.

What has CICO got to do with meal timing exactly?

• BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options

9j4prflc0qcb.jpg
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    OP: eat in a way that allows you better adherence and energy for your day/workouts. If you adhere better by eating late at night, then this will not negatively impact weight loss.

• NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    You can eat whenever you want. Total calories is all that matters. When you eat and frequency have no impact on weight loss.

psulemon how long are you going to be stuck on that false concept that only 'total calories is all that matters"?

Sure eating before bedtime when you metabolism wants to slow down is less than idea but sometimes is hard to avoid. Typically it is best to not eat after 5 pm if you go to bed 9-10 pm my scales tell me. :)

The problem with trying to manipulate eating patterns to overclock metabolism is that fitness mags in the past 30 years have taken some minimal data from far, far stricter conditions than are feasible in a real life situation and blown it way the hell out of proportion.

Yes, there are studies about meal timing and frequency that do indicate some (VERY SMALL) changes, but under conditions that don't exist in the dieting populace.
    • Meal sizes are strictly controlled to a degree I bet you a C-note only happens less than 1% of the time among this message board members, even with the very successful.
    • The subjects were not already overweight, neither did they have metabolic conditions.
    • The subjects were also very young (all under 30 IIRC, because hey, it's easier to get college students as subjects. Imagine!)
    • The studies were quite small -- the largest, I think, had less than two dozen subjects.

For the average person who needs to lose weight to tailor their eating patterns to these models BEFORE taking care of the egregious overall caloric issues makes about as much sense as a new weight trainer modelling her workout on what Arnie did in his competition days.

Going for that last 10% before taking care of the overall 90% is idiotic, and we see the results of it all around us.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    IO
    Bombshell are you saying reading is a problem for you and you had prefer videos to grasp the factual concept that a calorie is not always a calorie as in all calories are not equal?

Once again, a calorie is a calorie...it's a unit of measurement.

OK we are getting somewhere now. That is true in a lab.

LiveLaughLoveEat1 where you logic is failing you on this site we are talking about humans which are all different in the way the body can use calories from different foods.

You would say there are the same number of BTU's in all 87 octane gasoline in your town. I will accept that as a fact.

You also claim that gallon of gas will make all cars travel the same number of miles before its energy is consumed.

LiveLaughLoveEat1 this is where you logic fails you. Some cars may only travel 10 miles and others may travel 40 mile on a gallon of a gas. Yet you state a gallon of gas is a gallon of gas so all cars will run the same distance.

Just read some of the links and the fact that inside the human body different calories can be very unequal in powering the body and brain cells.

Other readers are getting the picture and understand you are wrong when you say a calorie of food is functional equal to every other calorie of food that goes into your body.

Those links that are in no way looking at confirmation bias based on the search cirteria!

How about linking a long term study that shows a difference in fat loss that does not have the subjects ad lib eating.

No one is saying that some foods are not better than others re satiety. No one is saying either that TEF is not different between the macros. That has nothing to do with CICO.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    You can eat whenever you want. Total calories is all that matters. When you eat and frequency have no impact on weight loss.

psulemon how long are you going to be stuck on that false concept that only 'total calories is all that matters"?

Sure eating before bedtime when you metabolism wants to slow down is less than idea but sometimes is hard to avoid. Typically it is best to not eat after 5 pm if you go to bed 9-10 pm my scales tell me. :)

If I am wrong about meal timing, then provide the science.

In terms of metabolism, it varies depending which part of the sleep cycle you are in:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19394978

And by no means does it suggest that you stop burning calories. And considering most people sleep less than a third of their day, it will be a non issue. And there is tons of anecadotal evidence out there that suggest eating late at night doesn't affect weight loss. Ed and myself are perfect example.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    apparently the laws of math and physics do not apply to Gale…

Gale - can you eat 10,000 calories a day of the "right" calories and not gain weight…?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    To the OP: eat whenever and however many meals work for you as long as you stay in a calorie deficit. If a large meal before bedtime does not cause sleep problems, do it if it works in your schedule. Yes, your metabolism slows down when you sleep, but it perks right up again when you wake up so as long as you are metabolizing more calories than you ingest over a 24 hour period, you will lose.

58841349.png
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

The biggest issues are that you constantly pop into threads saying everyone is wrong but you never actually provide supporting evidence. We ask you to show us it is the way you say, you respond with show me it's not. It doesn't work that way.

When you do provide links they don't even support what you're saying. And they are always about low carb or diabetes. Many of us aren't diabetic and don't do low carb so how about you knock that off. Then we read the links and the have nothing to do with the conversation. You don't even read the links yourself.

You have stated many time "when I was younger I also believes blah blah blah", you then apparently learned stuff. The question is when did you learn new stuff? The 80s? Because you are really out of touch with the present. It's as if you haven't bothered to keep up with the times and that's what makes it annoying to debate you. You are stuck in the past.

And as far as who has been successful goes, basically everyone in the thread you are debating has been. You have shown absolutely nothing.

giphy.gif
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I eat whenever the heck I want. Including IN bed, before sleeping.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    What a funny thread. Sounds like the old dumb me.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    What a funny thread. Sounds like the old dumb me.

Right!? I say that about a lot of threads now, it's nice that I've learned so much though. I used to think "I'm so glad I researched THAT before I posted something".
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    The two issues I've faced with eating before bed are indigestion and acid reflux. Not weight gain.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Look, GaleHawkins posted!
    Kim-Kardashian-yawn-gif-bored.gif