Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Paige682 wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    Paige682 wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    What turns me off most about the Vegan lifestyle is all the "Holier Than Thou" preaching that typically comes with it.

I don't think that's so much of a problem with "the vegan lifestyle" as "vegans who also happen to be a-holes".

First off, great pic.

Second, if a vegan does crossfit, what do they talk about first?

Oh, @dbmata, are you bored today?

What, couldn't sleep last night. ;)

Was actually reading a neat article last night about PED rates in CF by John Romano. Dude knows his PEDs.

If you weren't so damn cool, I'd throw a barbell at you.
    LOL. Nothing wrong with gear.
  • KathleenCora
    KathleenCora Posts: 160 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for 8 years and never went to the vegan stage. I ate fish occasionally, eggs, cheese, and milk. I did it for ethical reasons as well and to make up for still eating the other animals based products I didn't wear leather or buy products tested on animals....I tried to justify it I guess. I also was really young started at 14 and lasted into my early 20's. I did not have outside support, my family always tried to get me to eat meat. Even going so far as to trick me into eating something they said was vegetarian after 1 too many family dinners that tricked me into I started eating worse and worse. By the time I quit at 22 I was a terrible eater...eating mostly junk and carbs(also working 3 jobs through college didn't help either). I did crave meat during those years however I think it's because of the lack of knowledge I had on what I should have been eating. I should have been smarter but heck I should have overall taken better care of myself. I was young dumb and didn't care. Is everyone like that who starts out young, no. I go through fazes now where I don't eat meat for awhile but as I've aged and made more $ I can now afford organic, grass fed and cage free. So I guess that is where I justify now.....
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    kellyb28 wrote: »
    I've been vegan for 8 months and just yesterday decided to give it up. I loved it for so long but for the past few weeks, meat and all other animal products have started to look extremely good. My body was craving other protein sources besides beans, soy, nuts, and carb-rich foods. It was a tough choice to make and it still feels "wrong" eating animals...but I'm so happy and feel so free. Anyone else make the switch back to being an omnivore? What was your reasoning?

How was your protein intake before? Adequate? Like yesterday, 36 g of protein was from the pizza you ate.

My protein was good, I was getting about 47ish grams per day which is adequate for my needs. Yet, I've been getting a lot more the past few days of eating meat and I do feel better, as in much more satisfied.

I wonder if you picked up the protein, you'd feel better about your vegan diet? I mean by drinking a protein shake or something.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I think diet is a personal decision for everyone. Being that you were vegan, I bet you will still choose more veggies overall. Making the choice because it is what you want is most important.

My daughter chose to go Vegan. She made the decision after watching a documentary on how we treat animals in the US and all the other stuff in the food. She has always had stomach problems, but her first year at college they really got bad. She was sick almost every night. She went vegan and within 2 months she wasn't getting sick as often, she gained back about 10lbs and her color improved. She really needed to completely give up dairy and if it sneaks back in, she knows it. However, giving up the meat also really helped.

I will say I was worried at first, because of B12 and making sure there was enough protein, but she did a lot of research on it. Also she is not nuts about it. She eats vegan, but if you cook her veggie burger on the same grill as a regular burger, no problem. She will eat Hibachi with us as well, we get meat, she gets the veggies. Last time we said she was allergic to dairy, he put the butter away, you know what we all liked it better.

Meantime, I am lactose intolerant and thought, he lets go vegetarian. Well I just couldn't do it, I like steak too much. I also started craving the meat, I was getting protein, but really wanted more meat. So I decided to still push for less meat so I have more veggies, but not exclude it so much.

I think each person is different in what they need to function. Each of us has to find the right balance. For my daughter its going vegan, her friend can't eat beef cause it makes her sick, everyone should do what is best for themselves. Just like you are doing!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Miss_1999 wrote: »
    herrspoons wrote: »
    _Zardoz_ wrote: »
    I've been vegan for 8 months and just yesterday decided to give it up. I loved it for so long but for the past few weeks, meat and all other animal products have started to look extremely good. My body was craving other protein sources besides beans, soy, nuts, and carb-rich foods. It was a tough choice to make and it still feels "wrong" eating animals...but I'm so happy and feel so free. Anyone else make the switch back to being an omnivore? What was your reasoning?

Your body does not crave protein from other sources if you have a balanced diet. You feel it's wrong to eat animals but you decide to even though it's perfectly easy to get all nutrition from non animal sources. Sounds like a bunch of excuses to me. If your morally happy to eat meat (which you obviously are because you are now ) admit don't try and make woolly excuses about your body craving things as it's just nonsense.

Stand behind your decision if you believe its right don't make stupid excuses to try and justify them. Veganism is about compassion and non violence so if you've decided you don't agree with that that is your prerogative but please don't reinforce silly stereotypes about craving meat

What I don't get is why make a public forum post which is just about excuses? If you wish to eat animal products fine but it sounds like your trying to convince yourself its the right thing and get lots of other people to agree with you so you can feel better about it

You sound mad, bro. Are you mad?

I'm an omnivore and have never had the slightest wish to become a vegitarian or vegan, and I felt much the same way as zardoz.

If I were a vegan, I would be irritated at someone blaming their inability to stick to a way of eating on some craving that their "body" had! If someone wants meat that's fine and they should eat and enjoy (I do), but take ownership of your desires and choices, don't blame it on some "body need" that is out of your control.

Blaming this change on anything other than a choice to enjoy meat again is a slap in the face to those who do follow the vegan way of eating. It hints that this is somehow something that is wrong for the body (since the "body" is what was craving meat)

Op just take ownership of your choice and leave the excuses out of it.

There is no way to get DHA omega three through a plant based diet. And iron absorption is very different and very much decreased on a plant based diet. So yeah, it is possible for someone to not feel bodily "right."

It wasn't "my body doesn't feel right" or "my blood tests came back with a deficiency"......

She said she craved meat. That right there, in and of itself can be a sign of iron deficiency. Not everyone who is a vegan or vegetarian will be or has a form of iron deficiency anemia, just like not all women who are pregnant will, either. I did. I had PICA. I craved ice so badly that I ate 100 Otter Pops in less than 24 hours. This was only 48 hours before I gave birth. It's a horrible feeling. I can't diagnose this young woman, or say this is the cause, but it is certainly a possibility, and one worth looking into. Regardless, her reasons for wanting to become an omnivore are her own. She's not asking anyone else to join her, nor is she condemning those who continue to live and enjoy a vegan lifestyle. She stated her reason for giving it up and feels happy with her decision.

huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/01/iron-deficiency-signs_n_5043342.html

At no point has anyone in this little debate told the op they were wrong for eating meat. Just to own her decision to eat meat because she wants to, not because it is something her body can't live without.

The first response in this debate stipulates "if you have a balanced (vegetarian) diet" you don't need meat. Just because you may be iron deficient doesn't mean you have to get your iron from meat.

I have nothing against eating meat, I eat 8-16 oz of meat a day. What I found grating was a post, from in Reality a toddler vegan, that gave the implication being vegan was physically impossible because "the body craves meat".

The body craves adequate nutrients and a successful and experienced vegan is able to provide these nutrients while adhering to their beliefs. To imply that it is impossible is a slap in the face to these dedicated individuals.

This. So much of this.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    You have to balance what you know about your body and your values... that can look a lot of different ways, eating meat but from relatively ethical sources, eating meat but on a limited basis, not eating meat but actively developing variety in your diet... etc. No one can tell you what is right for you! Be compassionate towards yourself. When you do this thoughtfully, you will be doing good for yourself and the world.
  • nataliebordeauxx
    nataliebordeauxx Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    _Zardoz_ wrote: »

Your body does not crave protein from other sources if you have a balanced diet. You feel it's wrong to eat animals but you decide to even though it's perfectly easy to get all nutrition from non animal sources. Sounds like a bunch of excuses to me. If your morally happy to eat meat (which you obviously are because you are now ) admit don't try and make woolly excuses about your body craving things as it's just nonsense.

Stand behind your decision if you believe its right don't make stupid excuses to try and justify them. Veganism is about compassion and non violence so if you've decided you don't agree with that that is your prerogative but please don't reinforce silly stereotypes about craving meat

What I don't get is why make a public forum post which is just about excuses? If you wish to eat animal products fine but it sounds like your trying to convince yourself its the right thing and get lots of other people to agree with you so you can feel better about it

You sound mad, bro. Are you mad?

I'm an omnivore and have never had the slightest wish to become a vegitarian or vegan, and I felt much the same way as zardoz.

If I were a vegan, I would be irritated at someone blaming their inability to stick to a way of eating on some craving that their "body" had! If someone wants meat that's fine and they should eat and enjoy (I do), but take ownership of your desires and choices, don't blame it on some "body need" that is out of your control.

Blaming this change on anything other than a choice to enjoy meat again is a slap in the face to those who do follow the vegan way of eating. It hints that this is somehow something that is wrong for the body (since the "body" is what was craving meat)

Op just take ownership of your choice and leave the excuses out of it.

T H I S.
  • nataliebordeauxx
    nataliebordeauxx Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Like any sort of commitment - take weight loss, for example - it's fun and new at the beginning, but once the novelty wears off, it gets harder. When I get "back on the wagon", woah, I'm not even hungry eating under my calorie goal! Let's get up early and run! This is easy! Give it a few weeks though, oh man, my body is really "craving" a few more hours under the covers and half a jar of crunchy peanut butter.

OP, I've been a vegan for a long time, and I share your feeling of meat and other animal products looking really, really good. But you note that eating animals still "feels wrong" - is it possible you were just getting bored with your food choices? Man cannot live on tofu scramble and Boca burgers alone - there are so many amazing vegan recipes that could put the spark back into your relationship with plant-based proteins.

The thing about ethical veganism is that we have seen how meat and animal products are produced and, at some point, decided that they were not something we could support. Like any big commitment - weight loss, marriage, whatever - it's not always fun and easy, but if it's something you believe in deep inside, it's always worth it to stick to it :)

Let's support each other! Happy to share great recipes and cookbooks to keep vegan eating nourishing and interesting!

Also <3<3<3
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    l changed my mind about posting. Sorry.
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    As a young teen I started getting terrible stomach cramps from red meat. Every time I would eat it, I'd be ill almost to the point of throwing up. So I quit eating meat. I stayed vegetarian until I was 24 and pregnant with my first son. One day I looked at a cheeseburger and said "I'MMA EAT THE S**T OUT OF YOU." and did. No problems since. Do what you wanna do, eat what you wanna eat. Sure you can spend your days trying to get that perfect blend of plant-based proteins to make you feel good, or you can cube up an ethically-raised chicken breast and get on with your day. The decision is yours, and ultimately you are who you answer to.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    EAT!

NY-Pulled-Pork-cooking-11.jpg
  • Kellyfitness128
    Kellyfitness128 Posts: 194 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

How was your protein intake before? Adequate? Like yesterday, 36 g of protein was from the pizza you ate.

My protein was good, I was getting about 47ish grams per day which is adequate for my needs. Yet, I've been getting a lot more the past few days of eating meat and I do feel better, as in much more satisfied.

I wonder if you picked up the protein, you'd feel better about your vegan diet? I mean by drinking a protein shake or something.

Maybe. But I also got so extremely bored with being vegan. I've realized how much more relaxed and less stressed I am now that I've been eating what I want for the past few days... my mind feels more clear, my concentration has improved, it's weird. Being vegan is hard.. making sure you get all the nutrients you need everyday (calcium, B12, and omegas were the toughest for me), and it got me thinking..... what did people do before they new about nutrition? Could people really survive on a vegan diet back in the day without becoming deficient in something? It made me realize that maybe people are "supposed to" eat animal products. My perceptions about veganism are changing just based off of how much better I feel right now.

Of course I still majorly respect the vegan lifestyle and I may go back to it one day.. and I still have been eating mostly vegan, tons of veggies and a decent amount of fruit, and I'm always going to eat that way. If I can buy from sources that don't cause any suffering for the animals (small farms, local...) I think that's the way to go.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    ksy1969 wrote: »
    UtahWI wrote: »
    What turns me off most about the Vegan lifestyle is all the "Holier Than Thou" preaching that typically comes with it.

There is plenty "Holier than Thou" preaching that comes from carnivores, as well. Just an observation from this omnivore with a vegetarian leaning.

Really?? I don't see carnivores/omnivores coming into threads having to announce they are vegan. Why not just answer a question and move on, instead I see a lot of vegans/vegetarians having to make sure and insert in their answers that they are vegan when the post has absolutely nothing to do with that. I see it all the time.

No, I am not talking about this thread. This thread warrants a poster to clarify what diet they prefer.

Maybe it's that it's hard to see to the other side of the fence. Yes, there are vegans who butt in, who are militant and angry, but like any social group, they aren't representative of all of us. I know that I and other vegans put up with plenty of unsolicited commentary about the way we eat - at the Thanksgiving table, being asked "so, what's wrong with turkey?" Or getting a coffee with soy milk at the coffee shop - "what's wrong with milk, it's not like they kill the cow". Or just childish declarations of "but BACON!!!"Then, these same people who bring up the topic in the first place assert that we're "shoving our beliefs down their throats". But...you asked me first!

The majority of us just want to eat in peace and not draw attention to it. For many of us, veganism is a quiet light inside that brings comfort and warmth to our own souls - not a flamethrower used to ignite conflict. Both groups have their own bad eggs.

Or, "Veggs".

• sydneydeb
    sydneydeb Posts: 93 Member
    Options

I applaude that you could go vegan in the firstplace, I've looked at some vegan recipes and to me they seem so bland and horrid. I'm a meat eater, always have been but I do like vegeterian dishes just not always, I make some great frittatas and salads that are meat free. In the end its your body and your right to feed it anyway you want to.
  • sydneydeb
    sydneydeb Posts: 93 Member
    Options

A million times agree!!!
  • SwashBlogger
    SwashBlogger Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Vegetarianism has been around for thousands of years, in many cultures, successfully. Veganism is a newer sort of OCD way to feel like you have control over something. Extremely restrictive diets are one end of the spectrum - overeating junk is the other end.
    This is only my opinion, of course.
    The vegetarians and vegans I know say they do not do it out of some "anti cruelty" reasoning. Their reasons are health and taste related.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ksuh999 wrote: »
    EAT!

NY-Pulled-Pork-cooking-11.jpg

great- thanks- now I'm starving.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    if its not for you, it's not for you. Cravings come and go and after a while you might have found them to be non existent.

But you have to do what you have to do.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Being vegan can be tough sometimes. And honestly, I don't like the vegans who treat it as an excuse to bully others. 99% of us weren't born vegan. And most of us like to enjoy life and have a piece of non-veg chocolate once in a blue moon.

Is veganism healthier than the traditional American diet? Absolutely (... usually) Is it ethical? Sure. But can everyone do it? Of course not, and I think it's important to be mindful of the myriad reasons why someone may not be able to (or want to) be vegan.

Honestly, there are some days I consider going back to vegetarian because it's nigh impossible to try to eat a higher-protein diet with no soy (personal sensitivity to it), eggs, milk, or animal products (without breaking the bank because lol I'm not exactly wealthy). That, combined with the fact that I've got hormonal issues that encourage low carbohydrate intake... what am I supposed to eat, moss? My point in this is that even my own life, making the right dietary decisions can be very, very tricky when trying to balance personal ethics.

In the end, OP, your choices are yours. I'm glad that you're making the choices that are most appropriate for you - please don't let a bunch of ignorant mofos on the Internet make you feel like they know your life better than you.