No Grain...No Pain!!!

Options

Replies

• MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    I agree with Aimee! Good fats are good for you :) def not the evil that CW has made them out to be.
  • MissKim
    Options
    How is everyone doing on the first week of the challenge??? working out? what are you doing? what are you eating?? anybody got an open diary i can steal ideas from?? anybody doing a keto diet?? i would love to get into ketosis, but i can never not cheat long enough to get there!!! so i'm just starting out on trying to eat under 100 g carbs. it's a start. (good carbs ofcourse)
  • donnamariemoon
    Options
    Thanks for starting this! I learned about it in a different thread about Atkins. I am really happy to have rediscovered low-carb eatin after 5 years of carb creep and really getting off track. After gaining 10 additional pounds and having (in my opinion) candida overgrowth, I finally got back to my low carb roots and am feeling great. This way of eating works for me on so many levels besides simple weight loss and I am committed to it. I find myself with questions so it would be great to have support here. :-)

Name: Donna
    Kids: 1, age 8
    Pets: 0
    Married/SO: Divorced
    Eating Lifestyle: Atkins-influenced and Candida diet influenced - low carb, no 20g of whole grains carbs or less per day, 1 - 2 servings of fruit per day, no HFCS, sugar, etc. - eliminated foods I seem sensitive to (avocado, beans, nuts, milk) 8 weeks ago and seeing how that goes.
    Starting weight: 163
    Current weight: 150
    Goal Weight: 138
    Goals for this 8 wks: to lose 8 lbs and to lose more inches on the waist.
  • tattoodfreek
    tattoodfreek Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    How is everyone doing on the first week of the challenge??? working out? what are you doing? what are you eating?? anybody got an open diary i can steal ideas from?? anybody doing a keto diet?? i would love to get into ketosis, but i can never not cheat long enough to get there!!! so i'm just starting out on trying to eat under 100 g carbs. it's a start. (good carbs ofcourse)

I have only a few days of super low carbs, but you are welcome to look at mine :) I think I've been in Keto for about 3 days. I can taste it! I cut to about 100g of carbs for about 10 days, but I think it's actually easier to cut them almost out. I'm so much less hungry, it really curbs the urge to cheat!
  • heniko
    heniko Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Tattoodfreek/Jessica - thanks for replying to my question! 6 months to lose 5lbs you say! I don't want to say I am happy to hear this, cos I'm sure it made you frustrated BUT I feel I work my butt off too eating all the recommended healthy foods and work out until I want to drop but my weight loss just isn't where I thought or wish it was ....

You said your cut back on the fat then ... doing Aktins now, are you still cutting it back ... do you have the precentages in your goals customized to them? Curious ... I am reading several Paleo/Primal ppl here are upping their fat intake and losing. I myself am not that much of a fat (on meat) or food dripping in fat type of person. But I do want to lose weight successfully. I have found that I like foods cooked in little duck fat, butter and olive oil. I havn't tried coconut oil yet, thou many ppl have urged me to. I donnow I tried eating all the fat on meat, I really forced myself but it went down bad and afterwards I felt sick to my stomach.

You also mentioned you worked 7 days 1-3 hours, can I ask what you did? I myself, my main workouts are walking daily like 3 or more km (with or without stroller to push LOL), my cross trainer (30m to 1 hour day) plus 1,5kg and 5kg weights. I recently started Bodyrock.tv but I am still a beginner LOL! it's really haaard!

And another probably silly question ... how do you know your body is ketosis? I know they have tests out ... but they don't sell any home kits in my town and if I don't need to I don't want to have to go to a doctor to get a spill for the labs.

Aimeé thanks for sharing that link! I too, for some reason have issues with breakfast my brain seems to still be tuned to eating crossiants, crépes and toaste for breakfast LOLOL!

Kim - How are you and your family in these storms I hear about in the South, US? I pray you are safe dear!

I'm doing OK! I easily fought the urge to eat toast with my eggs this morning (((for the first time)) ... I'm keeping my carbs under 100g ... dh even told me last night I was looking better YEEEAAA!! My kids seem to asking for meat!!! Not cookies, cakes or cereals ... YEAAA!Not walking much too much rain ... rainy days seem to get me lazy ... so I need to gey my *kitten* in gear!

Question for everyone ... I'm not poor thank God, but buying more meat is really making effecting my budget. I'm feeding 6 people of course, plus myself so I need to still buy some of the things I'm not eating ... is it me? Or is this happening to everyone? How are you managing? Any genius ideas?

And finally I would like to share this link to a site it's the Tastespotting of Paleo/Primal/ow carb diets ... Awesome!!! http://www.chowstalker.com/
  • heniko
    Options
    Also how does everyone feel about wheat or oat bran here? There is one diet here called Dukan which is low carb but they say eat 1 TBS oat bran for the fiber ... I know both of these are grains and you can get fiber in vegatables and fruits... but how do you all feel about them?
  • NanRunsOnPaleo
    NanRunsOnPaleo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Name: Nancy

Kids: just one 3 yr old!

Pets: none

Married/SO: Married

Eating Lifestyle: Paleo/Prima but not as strictl! Some cheats here and there - more like nibbles. I do consume dairy such as full fat plain fage greek yogurt, string cheese, feta cheese but not all daily and at the same time. I also use butter, ghee when cooking along with virgin coconut oil. I went Primal last year and consumed dairy. I found myself losing weight then so I don't think I have a problem with dairy.

Starting weight: Based on my home scale, I THINK 176-178

Goal Weight: 125-130 max.

Goals for this 8 wks: Continue Primal/Paleo and make sure to keep consistent with working out. Been focusing a lot on strength training as my goal is to not be skinny fat. Not afraid of putting on muscle!

Nancy, what's your goal weight for the end of this 8 wks?? Doesn't have to be exact, just something to work towards!? so i can put it in the chart

Hi Kim!

I'd say since the healthy range is between 1-2 pounds a week...I would hope to be 8-16 pounds lighter for my 8 week goal mark. I've been really stalling and it's probably because I've been focusing on muscle building and haven't been strictly paleo. I dunno. I don't even think my inches are changing either. VERY slow 'progress' if we even want to call it that.

So here is my hopeful goal weight at 8 weeks: 158-166
  • NanRunsOnPaleo
    NanRunsOnPaleo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Name: Nancy

Kids: just one 3 yr old!

Pets: none

Married/SO: Married

Eating Lifestyle: Paleo/Prima but not as strictl! Some cheats here and there - more like nibbles. I do consume dairy such as full fat plain fage greek yogurt, string cheese, feta cheese but not all daily and at the same time. I also use butter, ghee when cooking along with virgin coconut oil. I went Primal last year and consumed dairy. I found myself losing weight then so I don't think I have a problem with dairy.

Starting weight: Based on my home scale, I THINK 176-178

Goal Weight: 125-130 max.

Goals for this 8 wks: Continue Primal/Paleo and make sure to keep consistent with working out. Been focusing a lot on strength training as my goal is to not be skinny fat. Not afraid of putting on muscle!

Nancy, what's your goal weight for the end of this 8 wks?? Doesn't have to be exact, just something to work towards!? so i can put it in the chart

Hi Kim!

I'd say since the healthy range is between 1-2 pounds a week...I would hope to be 8-16 pounds lighter for my 8 week goal mark. I've been really stalling and it's probably because I've been focusing on muscle building and haven't been strictly paleo. I dunno. I don't even think my inches are changing either. VERY slow 'progress' if we even want to call it that.

Current Weight: 174
    So here is my hopeful goal weight at 8 weeks: 158-166
  • Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    Options

In some ways this week has been going great- I've been working out a lot. (I LOVE to exercise) I did my own little 5k I mapped out the other day, and I've been doing my elliptical machine and gazelle, doing a lot of yoga and free weights, and have been spending a lot of time with my weighted hula hoop (festival season is coming, so my hula dancing needs to be in top form).

My carbs have been under 50g everyday... but my calorie count has been a little higher than I want. I'm a girl who loves to eat. And I used to be a big binge eater, and I'm still curbing those habits. But- I'm proud of myself because in the past when I would start a binge I would say to myself "well, I might as well eat all I can since I've already screwed up", NOW when I start to binge I say "hey, just because I've gone a little overboard is no reason not to stop now and not make it worse", and then I stop.
    The other night I was gonna eat a couple table spoons of almond butter, and before I knew it half the jar was gone. In the past I would have polished it off, but I didn't. So, baby steps to improvement. And that was the day I ran 5k, so not the end of the world :)

This week I've been eating a lot of eggs and bacon, brocolli, cucumbers, macadamia nuts, and (as mentioned) almond butter. Also, I made bison burgers for the first time. (I've eaten them before, but never prepared them). They were yummy.

Hope everyone here has a great weekend! I'm happy to have you guys to share with :)
  • heniko
    Options
    I know how you feel Megan ... I was a binge emotional eater ... no cookie for me ... one, then two, then suddenly the whole pack was gone! Thankfully, eating more proteins I stay fuller longer so even if I wanted to I can't binge ... this week (week 3 of making that Primal leap) not even thought of grains =)

Have a great weekend too!
  • Aurelina
    Aurelina Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Hi Kim, thank you for setting up this group. Love the title of this thread! It's so true for me! I'm amazed at how helpful it is to use this app and see others in the community progress. This particular group is a nice niche to help us keep focus and get support with primal calorie counting. Many eating this way have told me I can just let my appetite lead, but so far it hasn't worked for me. It seems primal and calorie counting works best for me. I'm late, but here's my info.

Name: Aurelina
    Kids: 2 boys (8, 14), they eat a very high fat diet and are lean with loads of energy. No Junk in the house. For treats they make high fat/low sugar ice cream with loads of pastured egg yolks.
    Eating Lifestyle: Combo of Weston Price/Primal/High Fat/LowCarb/lowProtein I use coconut oil and ferment my cream in kefir grains to get some good gut flora. Also eat fermented veggies, grass fed meat and make high-fat pemmican for good on-the-go food. I rendered grassfed fat for the pemmican. Still have some red wine on the weekend. Calorie counting is necessary for me. I've tried eating WestonPrice, 0carb, paleo, etc., and it gets me healthy, but I don't experience weightless unless I track cals. Healthwise? I deal with various autoimmune issues and eating like this makes it fade into the background. It's the ZeroPain lifestyle. One of my concerns about weight loss is loose skin.
    Exercise: kettlebells, hiking, dancing
    Today April 30: 170
    Goal Weight: 125-135
    Goals for this 7 wks: 159
  • tattoodfreek
    tattoodfreek Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Tattoodfreek/Jessica - thanks for replying to my question! 6 months to lose 5lbs you say! I don't want to say I am happy to hear this, cos I'm sure it made you frustrated BUT I feel I work my butt off too eating all the recommended healthy foods and work out until I want to drop but my weight loss just isn't where I thought or wish it was ....

You said your cut back on the fat then ... doing Aktins now, are you still cutting it back ... do you have the precentages in your goals customized to them? Curious ... I am reading several Paleo/Primal ppl here are upping their fat intake and losing. I myself am not that much of a fat (on meat) or food dripping in fat type of person. But I do want to lose weight successfully. I have found that I like foods cooked in little duck fat, butter and olive oil. I havn't tried coconut oil yet, thou many ppl have urged me to. I donnow I tried eating all the fat on meat, I really forced myself but it went down bad and afterwards I felt sick to my stomach.

You also mentioned you worked 7 days 1-3 hours, can I ask what you did? I myself, my main workouts are walking daily like 3 or more km (with or without stroller to push LOL), my cross trainer (30m to 1 hour day) plus 1,5kg and 5kg weights. I recently started Bodyrock.tv but I am still a beginner LOL! it's really haaard!

And another probably silly question ... how do you know your body is ketosis? I know they have tests out ... but they don't sell any home kits in my town and if I don't need to I don't want to have to go to a doctor to get a spill for the labs.

Aimeé thanks for sharing that link! I too, for some reason have issues with breakfast my brain seems to still be tuned to eating crossiants, crépes and toaste for breakfast LOLOL!

Kim - How are you and your family in these storms I hear about in the South, US? I pray you are safe dear!

I'm doing OK! I easily fought the urge to eat toast with my eggs this morning (((for the first time)) ... I'm keeping my carbs under 100g ... dh even told me last night I was looking better YEEEAAA!! My kids seem to asking for meat!!! Not cookies, cakes or cereals ... YEAAA!Not walking much too much rain ... rainy days seem to get me lazy ... so I need to gey my *kitten* in gear!

Question for everyone ... I'm not poor thank God, but buying more meat is really making effecting my budget. I'm feeding 6 people of course, plus myself so I need to still buy some of the things I'm not eating ... is it me? Or is this happening to everyone? How are you managing? Any genius ideas?

And finally I would like to share this link to a site it's the Tastespotting of Paleo/Primal/ow carb diets ... Awesome!!! http://www.chowstalker.com/

That's EXACTLY where I was, and see so many other people! Obsessing over food, and spending every free second exercising. I love exercise, but who wants to live like that?? Not to mention, that for the previous three months, I was watching the scale, and measurements, inch back up! It was work work work, and negative results! Plus I was so hungry I was MISERABLE!

LOL, I can tell you haven't peeked at my diary if you asked about the fat!!! OMG, no, I am not cutting it back! Yesterday I had 137 grams! If you're not eating carbs, your energy is coming from fat! The body uses energy from protein as a last resort, so you need ample fat! I find it easier than I thought it would be to get the fat that high. Yes, I am buying fattier meats. But eating plenty of whole eggs, plus cheeses, plus full fat dressing on my daily salad has made it way easy! My only problem is portion control. I am so used to eating gigantic portions of lean everything, that I fail to realize I can't do that with the high fat stuff! I also don't fill up easily, so it's very easy for me to way overeat!

If you don't like fatty meat, do you like butter? LOL. I've been adding it to my pan when I cook my eggs, and glazing my meat with it at times.

I was taking coconut oil as a supplement for a while too. I loved the taste, right off the spoon! And there are so many supposed health benefits, including speeding up weight loss. One TBSP=14 grams of healthy saturated fat.

Well, what I WAS doing would be like an hour of a P90x workout, then I'd follow it with an insanity or Turbo Jam/turbo fire workout, then I would walk for an hour. Or I'd do some workouts and then jump on the trampoline for an hour or two. Or weight lift after cardio for an hour. Or go for an hour run, and then come home and do two videos. I mean, it got really ridiculous. I thought I would FORCE my body into losing weight by sheer volume. But, it didn't work! And it took me quite a while to see that I would get better results if I cut BACK! I too do Bodyrock, and I LOVE it. Been doing it for almost a year now! Once I cut back on my exercise, that's what I changed to. And it made a serious difference. Not just in appearance, but in strength and performance. I could barely (even after completing p90x) do a single pushup with my knees off the ground. Now? I can do workouts with 50 in a row. I can do the 400 rep burpee workout (with every rep including a pushup.) I didn't see the fat loss aspect with the videos, but I DID see the muscle definition! I'm so excited that you bodyrock too!

As far as the ketosis question goes, I only know what I've read is true, but I haven't done a lot of research to know for sure. But from what I have read, signs include:

Constant thirst
    Metallic or funny taste in the mouth
    Urine and breath odor (sort of like apples, due to the excess ketones being excreted
    A marked increase in energy

Meganne: I am with you on the love of eating and tendency to binge. I find I will "talk myself into bingeing" even when I am not having a particular urge to do it. It's very odd. But I am glad you're making progress on that front. I wish I could say I was. LOL.
  • heniko
    Options

Eating Lifestyle: Combo of Weston Price/Primal/High Fat/LowCarb/lowProtein I use coconut oil and ferment my cream in kefir grains to get some good gut flora. Also eat fermented veggies, grass fed meat and make high-fat pemmican for good on-the-go food. I rendered grassfed fat for the pemmican. Still have some red wine on the weekend. Calorie counting is necessary for me. I've tried eating WestonPrice, 0carb, paleo, etc., and it gets me healthy, but I don't experience weightless unless I track cals. Healthwise? I deal with various autoimmune issues and eating like this makes it fade into the background. It's the ZeroPain lifestyle. One of my concerns about weight loss is loose skin.
    Funny this is how I am eating Primal/Nourishing Traditions(Weston Price) ... and loose skin which I'm already seeing is my concern too.
  • MissKim
    Options
    Is everyone getting excited about weigh in tuesday!?!?!?!/
  • Carol_123
    Carol_123 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I hope I'm not too late to join. Yikes May 1 already, so close to bathing suit season and I need to get rid of this weight. I have sadly let 40lbs creep up on me :( and I know I have to reduce carbs to get rid of it. Reducing carbs was the only way I was skinny before and I sadly just started eating normally and gave up for awhile.

Name: Carol
    Married
    Children: 4
    Eating Style - reduced carbs, no specific book or regimin
    Starting Weight: 161 lbs
    Goal Weight: 125 lbs
    Goal Weight for challenge: 140lbs

Have any of you tried Miracle Noodles or Shiritake noodles? They are made out of plant fiber (yam tubers) and zero calorie and low carbs.

Weight in Tuesday yeah! I'll wait till then to see where I am at. I lost 5lbs already just logging calories the past 3 weeks but I might have put that back on eating sandwiches basically for days being out of town for a funeral.
  • heniko
    Options
    No havn't tried the Miracle noodles but I would beware of anything "product" claiming to be a miracle or zero carb/cal ... I would read the ingredients list for GMO cos I *think* there probably alot in there! Real clean eating is always best!
  • ales1979
    ales1979 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone :)

I've only re-joined on Saturday and am soo pleased I've found this thread/ group! So is it ok for me to jump in?

Name: Ales

Kids: nope

Pets: 2 guinea piggies - Tuft and Tama

Married/SO: got a b/f that i don't get to see very often :( Darn those degree courses from far away!!

Eating Lifestyle: trying out lower carb, higher protien and mainly good fats, drinking lots of water every day (around 1.5 to 2 litres) !!
    Though I just can't seem to get rid of the sugar for good! I'm way down to what I was eating though and am still going through that yukky 'withdrawl' stage where i feel like poopies!! But it'll be worth it to have a metabolism that works properly! I'd say I'm eating mybe 2 treat size chocs a day (under 100 cals for each)Which I want to drop off completely by the end of May cos I can feel the sugar making my system go crazy about 15 mins after I eat it!

am making sure I have a big whack of (as low sat fat as poss) protien at every meal to stop me from getting hungry.
    Not eating grains or high carb vegetables (ie potatoes, sweetcorn, sweet potatoes etc) at all!

I'm finding that I'm feeling full until I'm due for my next meal (still on 3 meals a day, something I'd like to change eventually to get my metabolism working better).
    MFP has given me 1360 cals per day and I've fiddled my goals a bit so that I'm eating 40% protien and carb and 20% fat (good fats if poss). I'm not sure what kind of nutrition plan this would be :/ (hate the word 'diet' grr, brings back horrible visions of my mum back in the 80's doing things like 'The 'F' plan and 'cabbage soup' and other mad diets!

Starting weight: 185lbs (eek!)

Goal Weight: total goal = 140lbs, but just taking things 1 lb at a time!

Goals for this 8 wks: to lose 7 lbs would be nice! it'd be a good rate and a good start! My system is a bit slow to catch on to whats happening and any changes, so I'm being conservative!!

and ofcourse anything else you would like to share about yourself!

I think I've talked enough already!! :D

Ales xx
  • Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    Options
    Have any of you tried Miracle Noodles or Shiritake noodles? They are made out of plant fiber (yam tubers) and zero calorie and low carbs.

I used to eat quite a bit of shiritake noodles, because I love some of the pasta sauces I make so much, I needed a substitute. BUT, as I become more wary of soy, which is what tofu is made of, and tofu is what shiritake is made of, I decided to ditch 'em. I mean, the amount of cal and low carbness of them, makes them seem great. The shiritake aren't zero cal, I think they were 20 cal a serving, with like 4 gram carb with 2 gram fiber. But, I don't want to eat soy products any more. Plus, they are kind of weirdly rubbery. Now, when I make pasta for my fiance (I make him Dreamfields, I still don't eat it, but I'm trying to get him to eat fewer carbs), I just have a cup of the sauce and eat it with a spoon!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options

Wish I could say that I was... I peaked on Friday and I'm still up 4 pounds from my original weigh in weight. Not sure WHAT is going on other than I didn't renew my Rx for IR and the 3/4 days without it my weight went haywire?
  • heniko
    Options

Wish I could say that I was... I peaked on Friday and I'm still up 4 pounds from my original weigh in weight. Not sure WHAT is going on other than I didn't renew my Rx for IR and the 3/4 days without it my weight went haywire?

But that's OK takes