melmelw80 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Dadof3bbg wrote: »
    I'll tell you in about 6 months

Ditto. Lol
  • KristopherK1
    KristopherK1 Posts: 2,888 Member
    Options
    The whole drawn out process (over two years and still going strong) is a nightmare
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Friends of my brothers divorced a couple years back. When they bought their house, they had put it solely in her name because over here there was a "First Home Owners Grant" which was the government giving you $10k toward the purchase of your first place. He had owned before, so that made them ineligible as a couple, but she could get it if she bought "alone".

When it came time to split the assets, he found out that she'd gotten a second mortgage and had completely gutted the equity in the house so it was basically negative in order to feed a gambling habit. Her family was cashed up and she moved into one of her parents' investment properties rent free. He basically ended up with nothing, because he'd been pumping everything he had into the first mortgage, not knowing it was hemmoraging out the other side.
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Ugh. It was almost 15 years ago and it was a long, ugly, sordid story. There was my (then) wife cleaning out house and literally leaving me a kitchen table, lazy boy, stereo, and my guitars and amps. She took all the kids' bedroom furniture, then left the kids with me. They were 8 and 4 at the time. Then there was the multiple calls she made to report me to child services when the custody agreement didn't go her way. Then there was her moving to a different town and just expecting me to give her the kids, then reporting me to child services (again) and taking me to court (again) when I refused to comply (she was in violation of the custody agreement, not me). There was the phone call from her neighbour on a Tuesday afternoon when I was 3 states away for work, telling me that she was "kicking the kids out of the house, throwing their stuff out on the lawn and screaming profanity at them." She, the neighbour, had taken the kids in but didn't know what to do. The kids were 9 and 5 at the time. And the list goes on, and on, and on, and on...
  • Dadof3bbg
    Options
    ntnunk wrote: »
    Ugh. It was almost 15 years ago and it was a long, ugly, sordid story. There was my (then) wife cleaning out house and literally leaving me a kitchen table, lazy boy, stereo, and my guitars and amps. She took all the kids' bedroom furniture, then left the kids with me. They were 8 and 4 at the time. Then there was the multiple calls she made to report me to child services when the custody agreement didn't go her way. Then there was her moving to a different town and just expecting me to give her the kids, then reporting me to child services (again) and taking me to court (again) when I refused to comply (she was in violation of the custody agreement, not me). There was the phone call from her neighbour on a Tuesday afternoon when I was 3 states away for work, telling me that she was "kicking the kids out of the house, throwing their stuff out on the lawn and screaming profanity at them." She, the neighbour, had taken the kids in but didn't know what to do. The kids were 9 and 5 at the time. And the list goes on, and on, and on, and on...

Wtf
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    "I don't like what's written in here about the holidays, so I'm not going to sign it."

4 months later... and missing over half his visitation with our child...

"Well I didn't want to have to fight about it, so I just signed it."

Luckily our child was the only thing we had to "fight" over. No home, only one car and he blew the engine in it months prior anyhow. No savings, nothing.

His rights to our child were removed 5 years ago because he kept up his awesome streak of being the rhetorical "father of the year" and had no contact for 3 years. Now THAT was not a pretty fight. I actually had to go to court and take the stand in my defense while he paraded family up (and his wife lied on the stand).

He still owes back child support. :grumble:
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Been a divorce lawyer for 31 years... I got stories...
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Not a horror story, started out as one but when we both realized that the kids where the most important thing that mattered. Then we got the in-laws and the lawyers out of the way we where able to get one lawyer and come to agreements that was fair to the both of us. We never used the kids against one another.
  • wonderfullymadebyhim
    wonderfullymadebyhim Posts: 170 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    My ex was dangerous (narcissist abuser) so I left him with a suitcase full of clothes when he went out. Stayed for a full year in hiding at my elderly grandmother's place (on a rock hard twin bed) while my ex stayed in our house but he didn't work. I got my butt to work 1 hour each way by bus since I had to leave the car there. I paid the mortgage in full every month while he lived in our beautiful house because I didn't want my credit to go bad. He tried to get money out of me because he had to repair the damages he did to my first home (tore down a wall and the ceiling caved in) but he claimed he was solely responsible for the increase in its value (when the market was going up). I remember going to the house he lived in during the divorce one time to clean it to get it ready for sale a year after I left and there was still homemade soup in a mason jar in the fridge THAT I HAD MADE A YEAR AGO with mold on it. He dragged the divorce out and I finally paid him out a lump sum so I could be rid of him forever. The only people that won were the divorce lawyers.

Thankfully, my self-esteem recovered and I now have a wonderful husband and daughter. :smiley:
  • Dadof3bbg
    Options
    Ok. Reading these so far....guess I shouldn't be complaining!
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Tennessee. But I only practice mediation.

I'm wondering if I don't know who you are. I noticed one of my friends has a "like" on your page, which leads me to believe you might be in my "surrounding area".
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Mine is more of a divorce *kitten* story. Both of us being sex fiends we did it during a mediation.break inbthe courthouse bathroom, then we returned to amicably arra.ge visitation. Few months later we realized the pending gulf war required him to re enlist in a different branch in a different capacity as a matter of surgival strategy so we parted ways for childs stability realizing he'd be in and out of his life for years.

Once that settled and i saw consistent checks from him i knew he was back for good and we reconnected and he came back in his childs life as a positive force in a stable way. We arent saints we fought a little while breaking up but right away noticed we were just young idiots and the circumstances were to blame not each other. So now we are both remarried. He's in his kids life for years, no one hates or resents anyone, and we get along fine. (We stay away from all restrooms and courthouses when in each others orbits.)