An objective look at eating "exercise calories"

Options

Replies

• meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    I am so confused. I am eating around 1000 to 1200 calories a day (female, aged 48, weight 222 lbs). I am trying to walk for about 45 mins to 90 mins a day - earning up to 500 calories in exercise. Am I meant to eat these exercise calories or not?
    At your weight and height, regardless of your activity level, eating 1000-1200 calories a day is really the minimum. You can stand to eat up to 1600-1800 a day and still see some significant losses.
    That said, re-read the post. Either increase your calorie intake daily or start eating back your exercise calories day-by-day. If you're getting in exercise every day, aiming for 1600-1800 calories a day should suffice you.
  • Breadbar
    Breadbar Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I am so confused. I am eating around 1000 to 1200 calories a day (female, aged 48, weight 222 lbs). I am trying to walk for about 45 mins to 90 mins a day - earning up to 500 calories in exercise. Am I meant to eat these exercise calories or not?
    At your weight and height, regardless of your activity level, eating 1000-1200 calories a day is really the minimum. You can stand to eat up to 1600-1800 a day and still see some significant losses.
    That said, re-read the post. Either increase your calorie intake daily or start eating back your exercise calories day-by-day. If you're getting in exercise every day, aiming for 1600-1800 calories a day should suffice you.

Solid advice.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Every time someone starts a "Should I eat my exercise calories back" post, this thread should be linked instead of answers given. I know I'm saving it for future reference! Thank you!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options

Solid advice.
    Shucks... Thanks! :blushing:
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Every time someone starts a "Should I eat my exercise calories back" post, this thread should be linked instead of answers given. I know I'm saving it for future reference! Thank you!

• spiritedsaviour
    spiritedsaviour Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • dionne_williams
    Options
    bump
  • forwesgar13
    forwesgar13 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    will you calculate for me. I'm real close to where I wanna be but I've been at a maintenance for a few months . I've been trying to lift heavier but I still have a few lbs I'd like to shed . Was wondering do I keep going like I'm going or do I need to adjust cal , your input will help me out with that. tks

age 40
    weight 129
    height 5 4"
  • Lanise_10
    Lanise_10 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting
  • Kellyeee2013
    Options
    Yes. This helped a lot.
  • LeggyAmericanGirl
    LeggyAmericanGirl Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Wholeheartedly, DISAGREE.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Wholeheartedly, DISAGREE.

Care to elaborate? I'm all for disagreement and rational debate.
  • LaceyAnderson
    LaceyAnderson Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I think this is due for a bump.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Thanks for bumping. :)
  • julzwild
    julzwild Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad this was bumped. This post is fantastic. I've lost 20 in two months but the first month I extremely hung up on not eating exercise calories. I felt defeated if I didn't have numbers in the green by the end of the day. My weight loss completely accelerated the 2nd month when I gave that up and began eating them all back. Thanks for explaining this so well!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Thanks for bumping. :)

I'm trying to find the threads that used to be in "My Topics". I know I had several of yours in there. :)
  • indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    julzwild wrote: »
    I'm so glad this was bumped. This post is fantastic. I've lost 20 in two months but the first month I extremely hung up on not eating exercise calories. I felt defeated if I didn't have numbers in the green by the end of the day. My weight loss completely accelerated the 2nd month when I gave that up and began eating them all back. Thanks for explaining this so well!

Same thing happened to me--This is the best explaination I have seen on this forum. I keep reading and re-reading the post to make sure it sticks in my brain forever.(at 62 y.o.
    thats a lot of times to re-read it.) Thanks for starting and posting this thread 3 years ago. Why can't this thread be "stickied"?. It is the most informative post I've read on here.
  • _whatsherface
    _whatsherface Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Well said. MFP puts me calories at 1810 to lose 1.5 a week. I almost always eat my exercise calories back or at least whatever I feel I need too. Most work outs I burn 400-500 in 60 mins putting me at 2350 calories for the day. I'll probably still eat the 1810 or I might go to 2000 just depends.