Divorce Horror Stories....

Replies

• Don't really have a horror story, as my husband's ex has been largely good about everything and we get along great now, but I remember when my husband and his ex were still splitting up their stuff(they hadn't signed the separation agreement yet, I don't think. I was the witness on the signing. Awkward). I came home one day and opened the cupboard and ALL of our dishes were gone. That was quite a shock. Nobody mentioned that she was going to come and take the dishes. You'd think someone would have thought to mention that to me.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    socalkay wrote: »
    wilsoncl6 wrote: »
    Divorced my ex and found out some years later after we got divorced that she had never divorced her previous husband so our marriage was never legal in the first place.

Same thing happened to me! And he was stilling screwing around with the other wife during our marriage. Thanks for sharing that because now I don't feel like the world's biggest sucker! I only found out during the divorce proceedings when a girlfriend of his showed up at my house trying to collect money he owed her and spilled the beans.

It turned out to be a blessing because, after I kicked him out and he realized I wasn't going to take him back, the IRS suddenly slapped a lien on my property and home. Turns out he had a huge tax debt from the years prior to our marriage that he had kept hidden from me throughout our marriage. When I was able to annul the marriage, IRS had to stop coming after me for his debts.

That was 15 years ago. I've stayed single.

that was definitely a blessing in disguise
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Dadof3bbg wrote: »
    Ok. Reading these so far....guess I shouldn't be complaining!
    You may in 6 months! :smiley:

• Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    It's illegal to marry a douchenozzle in Tennessee. It's frowned upon to marry any feminine hygiene products, really.

Now, you know that's not true! If it were, you would totally be out of business! That, or the fine Tennessee tradition of not allowing the family tree to "fork".
    It would apppear that way. That page was in response to numerous requests to start a blog. People like my stories. :) Oddly, I'm yet to post a single story on that page. And one of the memes that went viral was a fortune cookie that simply said, "You sharted."

I saw that! I must say, I did fine some humor with some of your memes. I noticed a few of my friends liked the Elsa "Diabeetus" one. When you go viral with swag billboards and memes, and we have a "Swagfest" down here, I'll call up Stephen, and we'll have a "Swag-off". It'll be the biggest thing this area has ever seen. Guaranteed.

• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member

ntnunk wrote: »
    Ugh. It was almost 15 years ago and it was a long, ugly, sordid story. There was my (then) wife cleaning out house and literally leaving me a kitchen table, lazy boy, stereo, and my guitars and amps. She took all the kids' bedroom furniture, then left the kids with me. They were 8 and 4 at the time. Then there was the multiple calls she made to report me to child services when the custody agreement didn't go her way. Then there was her moving to a different town and just expecting me to give her the kids, then reporting me to child services (again) and taking me to court (again) when I refused to comply (she was in violation of the custody agreement, not me). There was the phone call from her neighbour on a Tuesday afternoon when I was 3 states away for work, telling me that she was "kicking the kids out of the house, throwing their stuff out on the lawn and screaming profanity at them." She, the neighbour, had taken the kids in but didn't know what to do. The kids were 9 and 5 at the time. And the list goes on, and on, and on, and on...

there was really no sign of impending doom before you got married on this one? she seems like an obvious nut lol
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member

Sorry you had the same experience. I wish I had found out during the divorce proceedings. She raked me over the coals for years before the truth came out. I swore that I'd try marriage only once and never again if it didn't work out but not so much. Took a long time to regain trust but I managed. I'm sure you will too eventually. I just learned to be picky and to pay attention to warning signs.

Yeah, I'm sorry you did, too!! No fun to go through. Sociopaths... they're so good at what they do. It was such a lifesaver to have the girlfriend pop up with the info when she did. She even knew the other wife and took me to meet her. I got the other wife to sign a statement that they had never divorced and that cinched it for me in court.

• giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Well, this thread was properly terrifying.

• wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member

Sorry you had the same experience. I wish I had found out during the divorce proceedings. She raked me over the coals for years before the truth came out. I swore that I'd try marriage only once and never again if it didn't work out but not so much. Took a long time to regain trust but I managed. I'm sure you will too eventually. I just learned to be picky and to pay attention to warning signs.

Yeah, I'm sorry you did, too!! No fun to go through. Sociopaths... they're so good at what they do. It was such a lifesaver to have the girlfriend pop up with the info when she did. She even knew the other wife and took me to meet her. I got the other wife to sign a statement that they had never divorced and that cinched it for me in court.

I had a cat like your profile pic once, but the ex got him. He lived with her for a couple of years and then ran away one day. I wonder why?
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    giggitygoo wrote: »

As it should be. Some of these stories aren't for the faint of heart.
  • paulawatkins1974
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I've heard it said by someone who really knows what she's talking about that it oughta be mandatory that couples invest in one year of pre-marital therapy to discern if they're compatible as marriage partners.

And I get the whole swept away by romance bit, I really do, as I've been blinded by it myself on a number of occasions.

But I don't think most people really know who they're getting married to until it's too late (already married, children produced from the union).

So then if you screw up the first time with picking a spouse, it's much harder the second time with the ex this and ex that and step children to deal with. Divided loyalties make it so much messier.

Anyhow, I wish MFPers the best on their quest for romance. Especially those of you who are marriage minded.
    One of the many reasons for the following:
    52% divorce rate for first time marriages
    61% for second marriages
    73% for third marriages.
    I've heard this several times. I'm on my second marriage (and so is he) Does it mean we're MORE likely to get divorced because we've both been divorced before? Scary. I hope not. I think with us, having learned from past mistakes, we make more of an effort to appreciate each other. Hoping that's enough!

• How about your husband telling you he is going to Auto Zone and never comes back? My ex did that to me. He left a week after he returned from Iraq to move in with his married mistress. He ended up terminating his parental rights so he wouldn't have to pay child support and I couldn't afford to keep fighting so I agreed. It wasn't like I was getting child support anyway. The state kept telling me they couldn't find him, even though he is a cop lol. He went on to have four more children too.
  • Hockey_Winger
    Hockey_Winger Posts: 1,164 Member
    giggitygoo wrote: »
    mistakesdemotivator.jpg

• dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Divorced my ex and found out some years later after we got divorced that she had never divorced her previous husband so our marriage was never legal in the first place.

Same thing happened to me! And he was stilling screwing around with the other wife during our marriage. Thanks for sharing that because now I don't feel like the world's biggest sucker! I only found out during the divorce proceedings when a girlfriend of his showed up at my house trying to collect money he owed her and spilled the beans.

It turned out to be a blessing because, after I kicked him out and he realized I wasn't going to take him back, the IRS suddenly slapped a lien on my property and home. Turns out he had a huge tax debt from the years prior to our marriage that he had kept hidden from me throughout our marriage. When I was able to annul the marriage, IRS had to stop coming after me for his debts.

That was 15 years ago. I've stayed single.

What doesnt kill you makes you stronger and it seems like you came out of that superman strong! Good for you to be able to trust and love again!

• TMM211073
    TMM211073 Posts: 153 Member
    20th February 2000 was the second best day of my life, the best was the 31st January 1996 (the birth of my daughter)....

I got my decree absolute on the 20th February 2000, I couldn't have been happier.... I remarried on May 2005 and I know I got it right this time round.

xXx
  • paulawatkins1974
    TMM211073 wrote: »
    20th February 2000 was the second best day of my life, the best was the 31st January 1996 (the birth of my daughter)....

I got my decree absolute on the 20th February 2000, I couldn't have been happier.... I remarried on May 2005 and I know I got it right this time round.

xXx
    Haha The Keith Urban song "Think I got it right this time" Was our wedding song. No joke :)

• LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    I've heard it said by someone who really knows what she's talking about that it oughta be mandatory that couples invest in one year of pre-marital therapy to discern if they're compatible as marriage partners.

And I get the whole swept away by romance bit, I really do, as I've been blinded by it myself on a number of occasions.

But I don't think most people really know who they're getting married to until it's too late (already married, children produced from the union).

So then if you screw up the first time with picking a spouse, it's much harder the second time with the ex this and ex that and step children to deal with. Divided loyalties make it so much messier.

Anyhow, I wish MFPers the best on their quest for romance. Especially those of you who are marriage minded.
    61% for second marriages
    73% for third marriages.
    I've heard this several times. I'm on my second marriage (and so is he) Does it mean we're MORE likely to get divorced because we've both been divorced before? Scary. I hope not. I think with us, having learned from past mistakes, we make more of an effort to appreciate each other. Hoping that's enough!

Ditto--second time around for both and SO MUCH better! :smile: I know a lot of other couples like that too. The trick is that both people have to learn from the first time around. Too many people just keep making the same mistakes over and over again, hence the stats above. To everyone else, if you learn and change and appreciate each other, it can be better than you ever thought it could be. Good luck!
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member

61% for second marriages
    73% for third marriages.

and this is why there will not be a third..